Have you successfully increased your clubhead speed?

2021 was the most consistent golf of my life, and I am happy with how my season went. I have been reflecting on my season, and I have come up with 2 goals. I want to improve my putting and I want to increase my club head speed. I have already talked about work towards Improving my putting, so this thread will be dedicated to increasing club head speed. I have seen a drop in distance over the last 3 season. I assume most of it is swing mechanics, but it could also be decreased swing speed. I need to get on a monitor and check it to confirm.

I think right now my club head speed is around 90 mph. 2-3 seasons ago it was 103-105. I’d like to get back to my old distance and actually surpass them. 

My question is how much club head speed have any of you seen gained? I think 10+ mph is probably ambitious for one off season, but it potentially could be done. 

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

get yourself a swing radar, no expert on which one I have a yupiteru atlas which does what I want at less than $200

been working on speed for a month, going well, just left and right handed swings with a standard driver. I'll mix it up when progress stalls.

Be your own scientist. There is no magic system. Speed sticks arent necessary. You wont know whats possible until you try, but increasing swing speed is probably the simplest way to score better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends. If you have a power lesk in your swing … and you manage to eliminere it, the  gain can be huge. I picked up some 6-7mph    around ten years ago on a monitor, and possibly more on the course. It was all about technique. I wasn’t wasting power before, but I managed to keep more lag longer and produce a more powerful release. 

get yourself a swing radar, no expert on which one I have a yupiteru atlas which does what I want at less than $200

been working on speed for a month, going well, just left and right handed swings with a standard driver. I'll mix it up when progress stalls.

Be your own scientist. There is no magic system. Speed sticks arent necessary. You wont know whats possible until you try, but increasing swing speed is probably the simplest way to score better.

edit, never been over 159 ball speed, hit 164 today after about 15 focused speed sessions. Progress will slow of course, but if I can get in the 160s on the course Ill be ecstatic 

66B1A8FF-307D-4615-945B-7A728F59CFA1.jpeg

6D812143-C4F0-479D-B8D2-19DBA6BAB4C3.jpeg

I am probably in the minority.  But I find control and accuracy to greatly go away at max speed.    I worked on long game yesterday  .  I use a garmin g80 , which doesn’t show spin , but is quite accurate on swing speed , and ball speed.  With a 4 iron I could ramp up 7 mph faster at will than what it takes to hit my stock yardage , but accuracy goes way away.  I hit it flush. But it brings in pulls on shots that are fades  , pushes and blocks with a draw.  Mixed in is the occasional accurate shot.  Meanwhile I have a pretty reasonably tight pattern at my stock yardage.  Which is 205 carry. 

same with driver. It’s a little more accurate, because of the huge face , but still.  Would need a wide open hole to air it out.  ( and I do if I can ).  

so I guess I’m in the camp of ramping it up to keep up flexibility , etc. but I don’t think it’s usable on course 90 % of the time.  Me going around trying to hit 150 yard pitching wedges isn’t going to be conducive to good scoring.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 hours ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

I assume most of it is swing mechanics, but it could also be decreased swing speed.

How's your fitness level? Any significant changes there? I made a job change 3 years ago that increased desk time, and I've been too lazy/busy to compensate with any kind of workout. With that, combined with age, I have seen a loss of speed. Shows up most noticeably in the 4 iron and 3 wood off the deck.

You may want to be careful about how you go about chasing distance, too, given that you're coming off a good year. You must be doing something right!

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I am probably in the minority.  But I find control and accuracy to greatly go away at max speed.    I worked on long game yesterday  .  I use a garmin g80 , which doesn’t show spin , but is quite accurate on swing speed , and ball speed.  With a 4 iron I could ramp up 7 mph faster at will than what it takes to hit my stock yardage , but accuracy goes way away.  I hit it flush. But it brings in pulls on shots that are fades  , pushes and blocks with a draw.  Mixed in is the occasional accurate shot.  Meanwhile I have a pretty reasonably tight pattern at my stock yardage.  Which is 205 carry. 

same with driver. It’s a little more accurate, because of the huge face , but still.  Would need a wide open hole to air it out.  ( and I do if I can ).  

so I guess I’m in the camp of ramping it up to keep up flexibility , etc. but I don’t think it’s usable on course 90 % of the time.  Me going around trying to hit 150 yard pitching wedges isn’t going to be conducive to good scoring.  

completely agree, my own goal is to get my 'useable' speed up. If I top out at 118(yes ball went sideways lol) id hope I can get to 105 on the course, straightish. Maybe..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, milesgiles said:

completely agree, my own goal is to get my 'useable' speed up. If I top out at 118(yes ball went sideways lol) id hope I can get to 105 on the course, straightish. Maybe..

Thanks.  I worried that what I said wouldn’t be taken that way.  I believe in having it on tap.  But I’ve found that a sweet spot of useable is what you’re after. 

another thing I’ve found for me.  A vardon grip vs interlock is worth instant 4 mph with a long iron or driver.  I suspect it’s due to better position at the top and a full release with right hand.  ( I have big hands ) The Hangup ?  It’s also not as accurate. Brings in a two way miss.    But I’m intrigued nonetheless.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

edit, never been over 159 ball speed, hit 164 today after about 15 focused speed sessions. Progress will slow of course, but if I can get in the 160s on the course Ill be ecstatic 

66B1A8FF-307D-4615-945B-7A728F59CFA1.jpeg

6D812143-C4F0-479D-B8D2-19DBA6BAB4C3.jpeg

Not being funny, but that isn't a remotely playable shot (apex 54 feet etc.) 

At a certain point you are playing hockey rather than golf, the "swish" does need to be connected to a sensible swing even doing over speed without a ball.

At 49 yrs old, I picked up 8-10 mph of CHS with driver. I did this by stretching, over speed training and swinging a weighted club on off days. I found as I gained more speed my driver path was more in to out and up at the ball which resulted in draws. As I gained more control over my swing speed, my path is much more neutral and less up at the ball. I’m hitting straight lasers or baby fades or baby draws. Life is good from 20+ yards up the fairway from where I once was. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I’m 42 and I picked up close to 5mph (113pmh) just from GFR alone this year. I’m back hitting to places that I use to get to 10 years ago. Strangely enough the more I try to swing faster and add Chaos as Dana likes to say the straighter I hit it on the course. 

I expect to gain another 5mph this off season thru a swing change to recenter better and get more behind the ball instead of almost leaning towards the target at the top of my backswing. 

18 hours ago, hammersia said:

Not being funny, but that isn't a remotely playable shot (apex 54 feet etc.) 

At a certain point you are playing hockey rather than golf, the "swish" does need to be connected to a sensible swing even doing over speed without a ball.

i'll be sure to let Bryson know he is doing it all wrong

My fitness level hasn't changed much if at all over the last 3 years. I went from 29-32 and I am still doing the same job (RN). I hike pretty often and like to walk most of my rounds. I think flexibility training and the speed sticks are where ill start. 

• Like 3

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I have chased speed, and honestly, the most of I have been able to gain is a modest 5pmh.

So its kind of frustrating.    I have never been able to get a BIG INCREASE in speed.

Sure I hear stories about people gaining 15 or 20mph but I have to say I am skeptical.

If they truly are doing, then I give them props.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, HoosierHacker89 said:

2021 was the most consistent golf of my life, and I am happy with how my season went. I have been reflecting on my season, and I have come up with 2 goals. I want to improve my putting and I want to increase my club head speed. I have already talked about work towards Improving my putting, so this thread will be dedicated to increasing club head speed. I have seen a drop in distance over the last 3 season. I assume most of it is swing mechanics, but it could also be decreased swing speed. I need to get on a monitor and check it to confirm.

I think right now my club head speed is around 90 mph. 2-3 seasons ago it was 103-105. I’d like to get back to my old distance and actually surpass them. 

My question is how much club head speed have any of you seen gained? I think 10+ mph is probably ambitious for one off season, but it potentially could be done. 

Just depends how much time and energy you are willing to dedicate to it…

I picked up a stack system and am half way through the first program… I haven’t done any direct comparisons, but I can tell you the few swings I’ve made with driver in the course since starting have been better.

i really like the speed training. It forces me to swing with intention, and that has directly benefited my driver swing. One of my big misses is a weak fade to the right where I don’t drive through the ball… that swing hasn’t made an appearance on the course (only 15 swings or so). 

I’ve done some fit for golf stuff, and like it. No direct correlation to club head speed, but I enjoy strength training.

I think you could easily add 10-20 mph without giving up any control in your swing if you dedicate yourself to a training program. 

i go every two days and it forces me to do some other golf related stuff to warm up… it’s been good for my winter game. I think. We will find out in the spring.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

If you can find the speed (training, exercise, swing efficiency), you can always dial it back in for more control.  I oftern work on just finding as much speed as I can and then work on swing / face path.  I dont think you can add much speed without looking for it. Need to set a new normal for the body and mind. 

On 11/27/2021 at 4:08 PM, Hackinator said:

I have chased speed, and honestly, the most of I have been able to gain is a modest 5pmh.

So its kind of frustrating.    I have never been able to get a BIG INCREASE in speed.

Sure I hear stories about people gaining 15 or 20mph but I have to say I am skeptical.

If they truly are doing, then I give them props.

I can see a big gain from a low base, perhaps if youve always swung in a fairly controlled manner. I think people should disregard the first couple of sessions since that is probably just getting you to where you would have been if you were just swinging harder anyway. The gain from the second week is whats of interest.

Went from 105 mph with driver to over 125 mph almost entirely by hitting lots of balls at the range full tilt using a radar to measure gains.  I hit roughly 100 to 200 balls full tilt with driver 2 to 3 times a week but this was when I was in my 20s.  Got to work up to that if you are older and want to try this method.  I just strived for one mph at a time until I plateaued  I now just maintain what I gained.  I also did not care where the ball went.   My hypothesis for me was that I got stronger, and faster naturally by just trying to make it to the next mph and making an addictive game out of it.  I also think I learned to train my mind to not have a hit mentality but rather a swing and trust that the ball will make good contact with the club.  It is hard to learn to swing faster if you aren't sure you will even hit the ball or you are too focused on whether you will hit the ball well.  I sort of matched the position of the ball to where I naturally swing the club full tilt.  This will be harder for someone with really wacky/inconsistent path, or early extension issues but the good thing is, this endeavor will ferret that stuff out and force you to address it.  

I am also a firm believer that you can't hope to learn to hit hard and straight if you don't consistently practice it and operate at or near it on the course.  You won't gain the timing needed and therefore the confidence and trust to use any speed you obtain in practice on the course if you don't work to control it and commit to it.  Most people imo, will get worse before getting better.  You can't let that get you down.  If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen and stick with it imo.  

In the long run, you should gain a higher ceiling to operate at, while bringing your stock speed up.  The more you practice operating at that highest speed you got, the more your stock speed with approach that limit imo.  This is obviously a generalization, and not everyone will see that happen, but I think it is applicable for many if not most.  

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Started at a speed of 122mph swinging 100% 

Now at around 131mph swinging 110%, but my backswing is too long and obviously completely un-gameable.

Going back to 122mph feels easier, but I don't know if I actually improved.   

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

How long have you been playing and what is your HC?  Being as though you’re only 32 and only swinging 90mph, there should be a lot of room for improvement. So long as you don’t have a significant mobility restriction or a preventing injury, there are really only 2 main culprits or a combination of both.

1. your swing is extremely inefficient and needs to be worked on. Or,

2. you lack functional strength and need to get stronger. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona