2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Myrtle Beach Winter deals / solo walker / practice spots

scarf_face

Best places in greater MB area - I am in town ... my interests are ... bang-for-the-buck walking deals (any time of day) ... best situations to spend an entire day at the course i.e. somewhere you can get a deal on replay rate or 27 hole venue or something. played the muni in wilmington today and bar is set pretty high - $27 to walk 18 at an absolutely gorgeous course. I'd rather do something in that $30-$50 range and play it 2 or 3 times than get one crowded round in at one of the top dogs for $120. but open to all suggestions.

also looking for anywhere that is a good place to practice ... like anywhere public that I could plop down a shag bag and hit some wedges or bunkers or chip for an hour or two? and/or best deals on range time in the area?

basically you get the idea. I'm by myself. on a budget. golf junkie. what's the local scoop how can I max out my time and money for a guy who doesn't get off his country bumpkin home course much and relatively new to the game and visiting MB for the first time (i.e. easily entertained)

give me that local scoop! where are the real public grinders going for the best conditions for the money and best place to camp out and practice for a day or half-day etc. ?

Myrtle Beach is primarily cart included in the price.  If walking is allowed at a 
course in the off season (winter), it's probably the same price.    Replays are 
about half the price.        

Courses have ranges where you pay by the bag/bucket.  Cane Patch, 
Legends or Grande Dunes may have range deals.   

These are a bunch of the nicer lower cost courses: 
Brunswick, Eagle Nest, Beachwood, Aberdeen, Crown Park, Diamondback, 
Sandpiper Bay, Pearl, Meadowlands, MBN West, River Hills,  Whispering Pines, 

• Like 1

thanks for the info re: walking. kind of sucks lol. nobody in MB walks? I get it most resort-y-type-places are all cart included, but figure there has to be locals!

I had some friends say the big cat courses and legends were probably a good bet, but they weren't local. are those courses considered nicer than the ones you listed or not as good? just for a frame of reference. 

for a frame of reference ... I walked 9 at carolina national today and it was literally everything I could possibly ask for. by my standards a very nice course, very walk-able (no huge gaps between holes), and $15 to walk 9 along with a nice range and a nice chipping/putting area ...

any other places like that in the area I would love to check out ... this course never gets mentioned by anyone but seems pretty legit? or are my standards just low for around here lol?

10 hours ago, scarf_face said:

thanks for the info re: walking. kind of sucks lol. nobody in MB walks? I get it most resort-y-type-places are all cart included, but figure there has to be locals!

I had some friends say the big cat courses and legends were probably a good bet, but they weren't local. are those courses considered nicer than the ones you listed or not as good? just for a frame of reference. 

I do see some members walking during peak season on average walkable courses. 
I also see members walking on the Private Dunes Club.  

The top 2 Big Cats courses, Tigers Eye + Leopards Chase are better designs than 
courses I listed, but are not maintained as they should be.  I think they are good 
enough if you see a Golfnow type rate, just not good enough conditions for
package rates.       Panther + Lion are more in the class of Carolina Natl, but 
not as interesting.   

Legends Resort courses are nicer than Carolina Natl, but a lot more crowded.      

ultimately I'll figure it out, this helps a lot though bud because I can take your info and relate it to my perspective and the online reviews and help narrow the scope without wasting money at places that I don't "need" to be playing at ... like I saw a video of true blue and it definitely has some wow-factor shots but 4x $$$ I mean ... I've been to a lot of the top courses in the country I mean to me if the conditions are an 8/10 instead of a 10/10 I'm fine with that. for $30-40 I'll take it all day.

one thing I wasn't clear on - is carolina national considered in the same class as the courses you recommended as value plays in your first post? or is carolina national above or below a class, in your view? that will really help me know what to expect when shopping 🙂 thanks!

Carolina Natl was more popular than it is now, then conditions became up and down.  
It's around an hour drive from most MB trip lodging, so it doesn't get a lot of 
tourist play.     

Playing away from central MB should give you better odds of a not
crowded course, that may have a low rate and allow walking.   
Out Rt 9 is Diamond Back and Crown Park.     
Rivers Edge in Shalotte is scenic and nice, but it may have more 
play and is not a good walking course, with some long walks between holes.      

Meadowlands, Brunswick, The Pearl are nice, but will likely have more players,  depending on the weather.     Brick Landing had closed for
a couple years and has reopened.  It should be low cost and not busy, but I doubt the greens are nice,
although I have not seen the reopened version. 

Oyster Bay is a great design, with some rough conditions and decent greens.  It is on Golfnow.

Are you staying on the north end?          

Edited by ArtMBgolf

Carolina Natl is considered a little higher class than the list I posted, at least CN 
has a more interesting design.   

MB has plenty of wow factor high priced courses, like the True Blue you 
looked at.   Some other high ends are Barefoot, The Dunes, Tidewater, 
Caledonia, Thistle,....     

awesome yeah cross referencing your posts now with golfnow prices etc. and yeah I mean. can nab these courses brunswick, sandpiper, meadowlands, etc. for $30-40 it looks like ... I mean I've got PLENTY to work with there .. I might go play a barefoot course or something one day but the MEAT of my golf experience is stuff like you were listing.

I am passing through working my way down the coast staying in different places. drive times don't matter too much. I hit carolina nat'l from wilmington base, but will relocate to north myrtle in a few days and start picking off some courses closer to there. 

makes sense what you are saying now - carolina nat'l is a pretty good deal for a pretty good course because it's kinda out of the way (as far as MB lodgings go). but yeah courses like that are my meat and potatoes, every once in awhile might treat myself ... it's hard, where I'm from you can walk onto a dye course on the water for $30-$40 ... I also play weekdays and afternoons a lot so I'm always getting the cheapest rates whatever-course has to offer. thanks a lot man!

I'll also ride some but the bulk of my golf is walking. it's just a much better experience ... and feels like cake down here with no hills 🙂

not sure many are seeing this ramble-session this far thru BUT if anyone out there makes it this far ... I'm also open to / looking for suggestions all the way down the coast basically - hilton head on downwards ... doesn't have to be anywhere in particular I'll be traveling all the way down the coast then to orlando and would love to stop anywhere that offers a tremendous golf value / hidden gem type experience along the way. courses like carolina nat'l and the wilmington muni where you're gonna pay like $40 and get good conditions and an interesting layout are the peach. seems to be pretty common thing to encounter if you're willing to work off the beaten path and off the busy season and busy times like I am ... thanks for any suggestions in advance, and open to any suggestions that aren't exactly like that either. like for example there's a course in elkin NC that is literally just an old cow pasture that some retired farmer put 9 greens on and the clubhouse is like an old barn or something with beat up old carts around and it costs like $10 to play lol THAT is the kinda s*** that I find cool as hell. so yeah anything unique or quirky too, otherwise I'll just play the golfnow hot dealz lottery

If you are still staying in the Wilmington area, Lockwood Folly is out of the way 
like Ca Natl.       Leland has the premium Cape Fear and the midlevel 
Magnolia Greens and Compass Pointe. 

Sometimes I see a MB course on Golfnow that shows their peak package rate, 
which I guess is just to get noticed.      If the deal is good enough at 
Rivers Edge, play there for scenery and challenge.  There are a few long walks 
to the next tee.   

There is a course called The Lakes up around the CA Natl area.  I have not played
it, but it might be more like that farmer's course.  

Walking is nice if the entire group is walking.   It can be annoying if some have 
carts and some walk. 

We have been covering the north side of MB.  When you are on the south end, 
there aren't as many budget courses.   

awesome yeah thanks again bud, makes sense. and yeah the more I read/learn I don't know if I'll spend that much time in south myrtle or myrtle proper, definitely getting my fix up here, looking forward to spending a full day at carnat and actually work on some things at the range (it seems there actually isn't a public driving range in wilmington proper??? seems unfathomable, in my small town there's a half dozen standalone ranges not to mention every public course has a range ...) 

as far as walking. I feel I play faster. 2 guys going to 2 balls in 1 cart = double time. walkers by themselves can get to their ball and get everything ready while others are doing the same. personally I feel like it helps my game a lot actually getting to reset mentally and take a walk between shots. the most convenient thing is being that I play a lot of weekdays, and solo, when I get paired up its usually with retirees. and lol I'm usually last to play after the tee shots so it all works out (I'm sure every golfwrx'er is always last to play on their 2nd shot in every group ever LOL) ... it does suck when you're playing with better players and mis-hit a tee shot ... the best is whenever you get out of position or there's a need, somebody can just tow you a couple hundred yards and keep pace. but I digress ...

really appreciate the chat about the area, it's helped a lot getting up to speed!

Walking - You can walk any of the Founders Group International courses in the afternoon.  They will knock $5 off the going rate if you let them know you are walking.  I would suggest you get the Myrtle Beach Golf  Passport Snowbird card to get decent rates.  You can walk Blackmoor, The Heritage, True Blue & Caledonia.  If some course strikes your fancy you can always call the pro shop to see if it allows walking.  Some courses have some very long walks in-between holes due to routing e.x. Tradition so, be prepared.

HHI/Bluffton - Some very nice courses.  More expensive than the MYR area.  I've only been down there during late summer and none of the courses allowed walking.  Off island I recommend: Old South Golf Links, Crescent Pointe, Hilton Head National and Eagle's Pointe.  On island I like: Oyster Reef, both courses at Palmetto Hall and all three courses at Palmetto Dunes.  Harbour Town is worth playing once (very expensive).  I highly recommend playing the Open Course a Kiawah.  It's walking only (in the AM) not cheap but, it's a bucket list course.

hey guys I'm seeing this "players club" offer from legends resorts ... $29.95/month and unlimited practice range access. something seems "off" about that ... is it like ... going to be incredibly incredibly crowded or something or is it really that sweet of a deal? what's the scene like at legends practice facility? TIA

I don't live in MB, so I haven't investigated that Legends Players Club deal.  
Look to see if you must own property in SC and/or if you must commit to 
paying that for a year.   It also provides low cost golf fees also.   

I don't see any restrictions.  It looks worth it to join for one month, even if 
only using it every day for a week.    It's typical to go to MB with a group,
so there are probably few who want to do that.     

They do have a large range.  I don't think the typical retiree member will 
spend a lot of time on the range or hit more than 1 bucket.   

Legends is a crowded golf resort.   I can't answer about waiting at the range.  

• Like 1

Hackler, 

prestwick

shaftsbury glen

myrtle beach golf trail …. 

lots of North end tracks

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s