Zipcore leading edge… is it too sharp?

UnderPar18

I’ve been toying with the idea to get Zipcores but I hear alot about the leading edge being sharper than most OEMs. Being lefty I cannot get a tour rack wedge which sucks. 

from those who have used Zipcores did you find the leading edge too be too sharp causing too much digging? Trying to decide what to do regarding wedges

No. I’m not particularly steep with my wedges but I haven’t had a problem with the leading edge being too sharp and causing too much digging.

Driver: 11.5* (@ 10.75*) Taylormade 300 Mini Driver Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

3 Wood: 15* Mizuno MX-700

Hybrid: 19* (@18*) Mizuno CLK Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid 70 S

Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC Project X 6.0

Wedges: 50/08, 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge DG 120 S300, 60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Ball: Srixon Z Star

9 minutes ago, sg91 said:

No. I’m not particularly steep with my wedges but I haven’t had a problem with the leading edge being too sharp and causing too much digging.

What type of turf do you play on? Soft at times or firm for the most part? Curious as here in New England we get soft conditions in the spring and fall and firm in the summers.

i was going to get a mid grind 60 to start the year and go low if needed in the summer.

The Zipcores appear to be similar to the CBX-2, which hasn't caused any digging issues for me. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

NJ guy here, and the Zipcore (Mid) are the best wedges I have owned by a good margin.  I had a 54/58 set with the stock Spinner shaft, and ordered a custom second set (now my gamers) with Steelfibers.  I've played Vokeys, Callaways, Glides, PXG's, etc., and these Zipcores just work for me. 

I would say my course errs on the side of soft, even in summer.  That said, as you likely know being in New England, we'll get a solid rain for a day or two, and the bunkers will be wet and packed.  The Zipcore mids still work for me in all conditions, but there are probably some situations where a low or full bounce would work better. 

Some people might go with a mid 54 and low lob wedge, but the mids have really worked so well for me, I have not gone that direction.  I would of course love to demo all of the different loft and bounce options on my home course, but that won't happen.  Sticking with what I've got.

YMMV.

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F3

Cobra King SpeedZone 14.5* 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

They offer tour rack wedges where you can customize the lead edge and sole grinds. 

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

7 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

What type of turf do you play on? Soft at times or firm for the most part? Curious as here in New England we get soft conditions in the spring and fall and firm in the summers.

i was going to get a mid grind 60 to start the year and go low if needed in the summer.

Kikuyu grass. I’m in Australia so we get quite firm in the summer as it’s perennially above 30° and then quite soft through winter/spring when it rains. And it rained a lot this winter. I play the 12° full grind on my 56 and the 10° mid grind on my 60 and have had no issues throughout the year.

• Like 1

Driver: 11.5* (@ 10.75*) Taylormade 300 Mini Driver Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

3 Wood: 15* Mizuno MX-700

Hybrid: 19* (@18*) Mizuno CLK Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid 70 S

Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC Project X 6.0

Wedges: 50/08, 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge DG 120 S300, 60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Ball: Srixon Z Star

I found the zipcores to have a very sharp leading edge.  I was fortunate enough to have access to a belt to round off the leading edge, and after I rounded them off in my 52* and 56*, they played much better for me.  I play both the 52* and 56* bent weak because of the extra bounce for my 53* and 58* gapping of wedges.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- Diamana Limited D+ White 70s (Tour sleeve) or AV Raw White 65s (non tour sleeve)

Fairway: Taylormade SIM2 3 wood (shaft TBD) and Radspeed Tour 5w turned up to 18.5* (Shaft TBD, but Motore F1 is solid)
Irons:  Adams 23* Super 9031 (Proforce Tour Weight Iron shaft), 5-PW Srixon ZX7:  All shafted with DGTI s400
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with DGTI s400 shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*...58* Vokey SM8 D grind   

Putter: White Hot OG 7s with Stability Tour Black or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

I already have a tendency to dig a little more than I'd like and I'd read that these have a little sharper leading edge than normal, so when I ordered my 50, 54, and 58 set, I ordered the Tour Rack through my pro who's a Srixon/Cleveland rep and got the leading edge rounded. They've been good for me when I've used them, though I'm back to my SM8s for the winter because they have a little more bounce on them. I have zero problem playing the Zipcores when I need a different look.

Titleist TSi3 9° / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 45.25"

Srixon ZX 15° / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI, 7S, 43"

Titleist TSi2 18° / Diamana-TB Series, 42.5", 60g S

Titleist TSi2 21° 4H / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI, 85g S

Srixon ZX5 (5-6), ZX7 (7-PW) / Project X IO 6.0, soft-stepped once, 1° flat, ZX7 1° strong

Vokey SM8 Raw 50.12 F, 54.12 D, 58.12 D, 1° flat / True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

PXG Mini Gunboat / BGT Stability Tour Black / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Titleist ProV1

I have three 52º 56º and 60ª, all with the mid bounce.  They have become my favorite wedges.   They feel great and play more forgiving than you would imagine.  

try one in the black satin they offer. can't get better in my opinion.  

Edited by 2Down

Sim max 10.5° ventus red 5s
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-PW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 52°- 56°- 60º 

Mizuno M-Craft V

Titleist proV1

On 11/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, sg91 said:

Kikuyu grass. I’m in Australia so we get quite firm in the summer as it’s perennially above 30° and then quite soft through winter/spring when it rains. And it rained a lot this winter. I play the 12° full grind on my 56 and the 10° mid grind on my 60 and have had no issues throughout the year.

Tell me about it, I play at courses prone to flooding so things haven't exactly been firm around here. Soft kikuyu and the bounce on my wedges gets the club out of the way nicely.