Do I need a 5-iron in this set?

Luckydutch

Normally I would think a 5-iron would be an obvious pick but the lofts on these irons I wish to buy (https://www.pxg.com/en-gb/clubs/irons/0211) are crazy strong. So strong, in fact, that the 5-iron has 1 degree less loft than the 4 hybrids I have been looking at pairing the irons up with.

Is there a danger my 5-iron and 4-hybrid would be overlapping?

I did a fitting with PXG but unfortunately, the fitter didn't have a 5 iron for me to test so I didn't gather any data on it. I do have data from my 7i and 4h shots though:

image.png.bc44dd31d711cedc22ad8889be77dafc.png

image.png.f7b483730483ffaccfdf1c7dc5c1ab62.png

I wasn't having a great golf day the day I did the fitting, sadly so the consistency isn't where I'd like it to be. Nonetheless, does that give a good enough estimation of distance that it is possible to work out whether the 5i and 4h would overlap too much?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

So about 32y difference in carry between your 7i and 4h? Is the hybrid adjustable? Do you have other spots in your bag that you'd like to fill (e.g. Driving iron, extra wedge, mini driver etc.).

If the 4h is adjustable you could make it a little stronger and fit a 5 and 6 iron in there; or you could weaken it and do without the 5.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei Blue Stiff

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* Tensei Blue Stiff

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 19*H Tensei Blue Stiff

4i - Titleist U-500 Tensei Blue Stiff

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 54*/12* bent to 55*/13* stock shaft S Grind

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 60*/8* stock shaft Eye 2 Grind

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft

Snell MTB-Black

13 minutes ago, CUBuffaloes said:

So about 32y difference in carry between your 7i and 4h? Is the hybrid adjustable? Do you have other spots in your bag that you'd like to fill (e.g. Driving iron, extra wedge, mini driver etc.).

If the 4h is adjustable you could make it a little stronger and fit a 5 and 6 iron in there; or you could weaken it and do without the 5.

Hi, thanks for the response!

I'm sort of building a bag from scratch. I have some inherited clubs which aren't really appropriate for me as I continue to improve. The iron + wedges are a set and are too short, the driver is ancient and a senior flex. The only club that I kind-of like is this old Taylormade rescue 2-hybrid. It goes about 200 yards so might be replaced by the 4-hybrids I am looking at. This is why the hybrid purchase is a less pressing issue than the irons but I'd at least like to bear that in mind when I buy the irons so I know whether to go with a 5i or not. 

According to the PXG website, their hybrid is adjustable (although we didn't do it in the fitting): Adjustable hosel can change the loft (+/-) 1½ degrees to optimize the trajectory. Features a single weight port positioned toward the front of the club that can be easily adjusted to influence the overall head weight and spin.

I presume those changes can be made post-purchase because the order form has no option to change them.

Note on the 4h distances: I only got a few hits with that so the data includes all my worst shots. I looks like I’m capable of carrying that 215 as I did it twice.

As for the irons, I was considering 5-GW and then buying separate wedges for chipping. Quite seriously considering the kirkland wedges since I could take the grips off, add shaft extenders, regrip with better grips and possibly get the lie angles bent, all for less than 2 vokeys cost.

I haven't been fit for a driver yet,  I'm getting that fitting in January.

Edited by Luckydutch

In that case get the 5i as part of your set and build your bag around it.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei Blue Stiff

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* Tensei Blue Stiff

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 19*H Tensei Blue Stiff

4i - Titleist U-500 Tensei Blue Stiff

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 54*/12* bent to 55*/13* stock shaft S Grind

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 60*/8* stock shaft Eye 2 Grind

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft

Snell MTB-Black

My 4H is 22 degrees, my 5I is 23 degrees. Between the difference in shaft lengths and head constructions I've got a 12-15 yard gap between the two. Loft in and of itself doesn't accurately predict distance. However, I don't think a 4H with more loft than the 5i is a good idea. I do think hybrids and irons from the same source is likely to work better than mixing them.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

44 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

My 4H is 22 degrees, my 5I is 23 degrees. Between the difference in shaft lengths and head constructions I've got a 12-15 yard gap between the two. Loft in and of itself doesn't accurately predict distance. However, I don't think a 4H with more loft than the 5i is a good idea. I do think hybrids and irons from the same source is likely to work better than mixing them.

That is my slight concern. The 5i is a 21 degree iron which is actually less than the 4h.

That being said, if I'm hitting a 7i 170, theoretically, the 6i should be c. 180 and the 5i c.190, right? The 4h is 210-220 for me so that's still a good gapping.

Perhaps the lofts on these irons are a bit deceptive? Or perhaps I just suck with irons and am getting closer to the distance potential with the hybrid than I am with the irons...

Both those irons and hybrids are not only the same manufacturer but the same model (0211) so you'd think they would have designed it so the 4h goes further than the 5i.

3 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Literally the only way to tell is hitting the 5i and seeing the distance.......you can throw loft out the window. I had a 26* 6i & 26* 5h is the bag for extended testing. Ended up ditching the 26* 6i & sticking with 26* 5h

If the fitter doesn’t have one to try though?

I did a generic iron fitting at a pro shop and they did the entire fitting with a 7i too. Didn’t have any other heads I could use. But 7i in different lie angles.

Part of me is tempted to leave the 5i out and then if I have a gap between 6 and hybrid I could fill it with another hybrid. That 4h was genuinely easier to strike cleanly than a 7i!! Double the price of an iron though, per club. And don’t tend to live as long.

27 minutes ago, Luckydutch said:

Part of me is tempted to leave the 5i out and then if I have a gap between 6 and hybrid I could fill it with another hybrid. That 4h was genuinely easier to strike cleanly than a 7i!! Double the price of an iron though, per club. And don’t tend to live as long.

Ladies sets don't come with long irons anymore.  They sell hybrids and short irons.  I'm in favor of getting the easiest clubs to hit, no matter the looks or price.

If cost is an issue play with fewer clubs until you can afford the ones that work for you.  If you can't play a club it doesn't belong in the bag.

1 hour ago, Radeon962 said:

If you play the 0211DC at stock length and stock lofts each iron is pretty much one iron stronger than most sets.

I typically play 5-GW and when I had the PXG 0211DC I just played 6-GW and covered the same distances as my regular set (Gen3 0311P).

Well, that was actually a point of contention in my fitting.

I’m 6ft3 and my instructor and the guy who runs the pro shop both told me I need at least +1/2 inch, potentially +1 inch on my irons.

The PXG fitter was absolutely adamant that I needed standard size for these irons because they are already +1/2 inch longer than standard (the 7i is 37.5 inches).

However, if we’re now saying the 7i is pretty much a 6i due to the loft, a typical 6i would have 37.5 inch shaft as standard. Therefore, shouldn’t I be going +1/2 inch still?

I really loved these PXG irons but they didn’t half make it difficult to buy them with their insane specs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luckydutch said:

The PXG fitter was absolutely adamant that I needed standard size for these irons because they are already +1/2 inch longer than standard (the 7i is 37.5 inches).

This comes from a company that thinks a 7i should have 27 degrees of loft? I call BS when all you have to do to make your clubs play longer is to call a 6i a 7i. If they keep making lofts stronger we'll all be needing five wedges.

That brings up another issue. Why is the standard 7i length 37 inches? The answer: Nobody knows. There may have been a logical reason when the mashie niblick became the 7 iron, but what it was is lost in the fog of time. Considering that change occurred when the average American man was 5'6" it doesn't make sense for the average player today. Club lengths should be whatever works best. My 7i is 30 degrees and 38 inches. My 27 degree club is a 6i, 38.75 inches.

37 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

This comes from a company that thinks a 7i should have 27 degrees of loft? I call BS when all you have to do to make your clubs play longer is to call a 6i a 7i. If they keep making lofts stronger we'll all be needing five wedges.

That brings up another issue. Why is the standard 7i length 37 inches? The answer: Nobody knows. There may have been a logical reason when the mashie niblick became the 7 iron, but what it was is lost in the fog of time. Considering that change occurred when the average American man was 5'6" it doesn't make sense for the average player today. Club lengths should be whatever works best. My 7i is 30 degrees and 38 inches. My 27 degree club is a 6i, 38.75 inches.

I don’t disagree.

When I discussed the lofts with the fitter, his argument was whilst the loft and distances on each iron were about 1 club more than you’d expect, modern tech allows them to achieve that 6 iron distance whilst still retaining the launch qualities of a 7 iron.

Sounds nice. My average spin on the 7 iron was about 5400 which is kind of what you would expect from a 7 iron. Maybe there’s some truth to it.

Regardless, it still left my feeling a little unsure on what the correct shaft length should be for me and whether I’d want the 5 iron or not.

4 hours ago, Luckydutch said:

Well, that was actually a point of contention in my fitting.

I’m 6ft3 and my instructor and the guy who runs the pro shop both told me I need at least +1/2 inch, potentially +1 inch on my irons.

However, if we’re now saying the 7i is pretty much a 6i due to the loft, a typical 6i would have 37.5 inch shaft as standard. Therefore, shouldn’t I be going +1/2 inch still?

I really loved these PXG irons but they didn’t half make it difficult to buy them with their insane specs.

Distance sells for a lot of golfers and the stock length and stock lofts hit the ball further.  Distance sells when your buddy hits a 6 iron and you can say you hit a 7 iron or even 8 iron.  

15 hours ago, Luckydutch said:

his argument was whilst the loft and distances on each iron were about 1 club more than you’d expect, modern tech allows them to achieve that 6 iron distance whilst still retaining the launch qualities of a 7 iron.

So the trajectory is the same but longer? For that to be the case it would also have to go higher. More BS IMO.

Regardless, it still left my feeling a little unsure on what the correct shaft length should be for me and whether I’d want the 5 iron or not

It's took me years to dial in my shaft lengths, aided greatly by my making my own clubs back in the Golfsmith era, and still doing my own gripping and shaft extending today. Way back when I questioned why the difference between driver and 3w was around two and a half inches but only a half inch for the rest of the set. Then I wondered why there was another long gap between the shortest fairway wood and the longest iron. And the gap, sand and lob wedges all the same length? That made no sense. I started making my 3w one and a half inches shorter than my driver, and then used a 3/4 inch spread all the way down to the sand iron. The result was a more uniform distance gap throughout the set. It works for me. The other side of that coin is single length irons. There's at least one guy who finds that works for him. There's no hard and fast rule for what works for everyone.

Based on their screwy PXG iron lofts I wouldn't think their 5 iron makes sense paired with their hybrids. I'd get the shafts to the length that you think is best. It's a very easy job to cut them down and re-grip if you decide that they're too long after playing them. Adding extensions to make them longer isn't that difficult, but with the shafts starting off long you can choke down to see it they work better shorter. With the shafts starting off short there's no way to know if longer would be better.