2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Progressive glasses….do you use it when playing golf?

Hello

Anyone that have reached the noble age when your eyes is playing tricks with you…are you uses progressive glasses or regular once when playing golf?

So far have I used only regular glasses but I have started to recognize that it easier when removing the glasses lately😱😉.

Br Fredrik

Edited by Fredrik Blomgren

• Fredrik Blomgren changed the title to Progressive glasses….do you use it when playing golf?

No, I have several pairs of glasses.  The best pair is for playing golf.  I have a pair just for working on computer stuff.  One for reading books.

I have one just for working outside in the evenings until it gets too dark to see what I'm doing.  No fancy coatings for maximum light transmission.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShortGolfer said:

No, I have several pairs of glasses.  The best pair is for playing golf.  I have a pair just for working on computer stuff.  One for reading books.

I have one just for working outside in the evenings until it gets too dark to see what I'm doing.  No fancy coatings for maximum light transmission.

As I suspected, never ever had a pair of progressive glasses but I’m a bit worried that they will make the game even a bit more difficult than it already is.

Just wait and  see the experience from other golfer if it is working OK or not.
I will get 2 pairs for the price of one anyhow, could be one pair reading glasses and one pair of regular once with photo chromatic glasses.

11 minutes ago, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Anyone that have reached the noble age when your eyes is playing tricks with you…are you uses progressive glasses or regular once when playing golf?

So far have I used only regular glasses but I have started to recognize that it easier when removing the glasses lately😱😉.

Br Fredrik

I wear my progressive lenses all the time. I thought it would cause issues in my swing, but in fact it feels more natural to me. i know it's in my head, but I swear I can read putts better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bullseye61 said:

I wear my progressive lenses all the time. I thought it would cause issues in my swing, but in fact it feels more natural to me. i know it's in my head, but I swear I can read putts better.

That would be highly wanted, better green reading😁.

Greate to hear that it doesn’t causes you any issues bullseye61 when wearing progressive glasses.

I WAS a Progressive lens user. It never bothered my golf game (such as it is). But they were awful for everything else. Keyboard was at one distance, screen at another, the paperwork I used was at another. I would just take them off to work. They lasted only one year. After that I just stuck with single vision lenses and same scenario. Golf, Driving, general stuff they're fine- as before, they come off while I'm working at my desk. 

But interestingly enough, the last several exams, my vision has improved in both eyes. But the issue I have is that one eye improves at a faster rate than the other. that's what gives me headaches and I know it's time for new glasses.

• Thanks 1

I've had mixed results. I try to play with my Rayban Sunglasses (single vision), as the ball is just far enough away that it's not blurry.

If it's cloudy, I put on my Oakley progressives and at first it was rough. The ball was in that 'tweener' zone of the lens (distance and close-up), where I had to move my head down to make the ball clear. Over time it got a little better.

I tried single vision regular glasses but that didn't work. Same prescription as the Rayban, so not sure what is going on there. I'm guessing the shape of the Raybans makes it work better.

I specifically asked for my Oakley progressives to allow for more distance viewing as I have a pair of computer glasses I use for work.

2 hours ago, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Br Fredrik

I have used tri-focal progressives for 15 years.  Never had any issues. 

• Thanks 1

I've worn progressive lenses for 15 years and despite much effort, just can't get them to work on the golf course. I have a separate set of glasses with just my distance prescription in them to use when playing golf. Makes reading the score card a little difficult but I can manage. My GPS watch font is large enough that it's no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

2 hours ago, RayGorman said:

But interestingly enough, the last several exams, my vision has improved in both eyes. But the issue I have is that one eye improves at a faster rate than the other. that's what gives me headaches and I know it's time for new glasses.

That is your lens hardening with age.  Time to have the cataract discussion with your eye doctor.  My eyes have gone from -3.00 to -1.50 over the last 5 or so years.  I've already been told that in the near future, cataracts will be an issue.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Br Fredrik

I wear contacts most daylight hours and for golf.  If I really need to read something, I'll bring out some cheap readers.   Progressives for the rest of the time.  For progressives, if you want to wear them for golf, spend the money and buy the best lenses you can.  Cheap lenses are just that - cheap.   I could wear my progressives for golf, but until such a time as I am forced to give up the contacts, that's not happening.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Went from progressives to "internal lenses" post cataracts and the difference is remarkable, in a VERY positive way.  Found progressive glasses awkward to get used to but after a while adjusted to them. Didn't care that much for contacts so glad I made it to a time when corrective lenses could be fit for my problem. Played with "new eyes" all season this year and although light transmission (brightness) forced me to wear sunglasses while playing for the first time, had some of my best rounds in years. I think we all tend to forget just how critical vision is in terms of distance gauging, greens reading, etc., etc.

13 minutes ago, WilliePPQ said:

Went from progressives to "internal lenses" post cataracts and the difference is remarkable, in a VERY positive way.  Found progressive glasses awkward to get used to but after a while adjusted to them. Didn't care that much for contacts so glad I made it to a time when corrective lenses could be fit for my problem. Played with "new eyes" all season this year and although light transmission (brightness) forced me to wear sunglasses while playing for the first time, had some of my best rounds in years. I think we all tend to forget just how critical vision is in terms of distance gauging, greens reading, etc., etc.

I have progressive lenses but picked up an inexpensive pair of single vision lenses in my current prescription just for golf. I've gone for one cataract evaluation and a 2nd appointment, a meeting with the guy who would actually do the surgery, is this Thursday morning. The only issue I have is the glare from headlights when driving in the dark. Since we have the first tee time, I am driving in the dark to get to the course and the last seven miles of that are two lanes. With some of these newer headlights being used and trucks that have headlights set higher than a car, it has been a pretty scary drive at times.

In my initial exam they said they rate cataracts on a scale of 1 to 4 and they put me at 2 so really not critical to get them at this time. Also, since I had Lasik about 25 years ago my best option is laser assisted cataract surgery which Medicare doesn't pay for.

I've had progressive glasses for years, hasn't really bothered me for golf.  I thought they would, but I adjusted really fast.  However, I make a point when I have them made to make the transition for near vision lower than most optometrists want to do. This also works better for reading the computer screen.  I felt that how they want to make them, I have to look way down to see the ball clearly, almost out of the top of the lens, my chin is almost in my chest when I do this. 

I also have a pair of Maui Jim bifocal sunglasses, that I do wear most of the time while playing now.  I do the same thing with the reading part of the lens, I tell them to make it as small and as far down on the lens as they can, I basically only need it to read the scorecard......  After the first round with them, I didn't even notice they were bifocals.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

48 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

The only issue I have is the glare from headlights when driving in the dark. Since we have the first tee time, I am driving in the dark to get to the course and the last seven miles of that are two lanes. With some of these newer headlights being used and trucks that have headlights set higher than a car, it has been a pretty scary drive at times.

I used to have that problem until I bought a Nissan Cube.  The glare is much more tolerable than any other car I've driven.

Too bad they aren't made anymore.  I bought a Cube because it is one of the easiest cars to get in and out of.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

I've been wearing them for years, after the first couple of weeks you don't even think about it.  I got some sunglasses that were single vision and it drove me crazy, not that just having distance vision was bad for golf or outdoor activities, but the change from one to the other threw off my equilibrium when I made the switch.  It's best to stick with one or the other from my experience, your eyes learn to adapt to one, but not both.  I switched my sunglasses back to progressive.  It's no big deal, just stick with it and you will be fine.  

• Thanks 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I have progressive lenses in my regular everyday glasses. Can handle both distance, and close-in (i.e. computer screen, reading).

For golf I have distance-only sunglasses with transition, or adaptive lenses. The lenses adjust their darkness for the amount of light in area.

The distance-only prescription means I get the same view when I look down at the ball. With progressive or bi-focal lenses, anything longer than a 7i appears blurry, and I end up changing my head position before I hit the ball.

The transition/adaptive work better than simple tint lenses. With the simple tints, I've had rounds on overcast days or at 8 PM in summer when the light was low, and I had trouble seeing! 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Couldn’t ever get used to progressives, and absolutely cannot wear bifocals on the golf course.  BUT…

If you are wearing prescription lenses for golf, consider getting your next prescription in HD and high index.  Yes, it costs a little more, the quality of vision on the golf course is well worth it IMO.  Also better for night driving than a standard grind lens.

I've been wearing progressive lenses for about 20 years now. I'm so used to them that they don't bother me for golf at all. The only time they bother me is when I read my scorecard, but that's not the glasses' fault! I also use clip-ons when I play on a sunny day.

• Haha 1

You might tilt your head too far down when you wear progressives.  It depends on how strong the prescription is.  If this is your first one, then it probably won't be a problem.  My lens prescriptions have gotten to the point where it is a problem.  I solve it by using an older, weaker prescription for golf.  This lets me look at the ball through a lower portion of the lens.

I tried using a single distance prescription, but I didn't like it.  Can't recall why.  I'm starting to think again about trying that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Have worn them for over a decade. Took a few months to get used to playing golf with them - in fact, it took a few months to get used to doing all sorts of things with them - but after a short time your head just sort of naturally adjusts to whether you're 1 foot from something (a book), two feet (a computer screen), five or six feet (addressing a golf ball), or 250 yards (watching your drive land). Its like driving a car ... at first you have to pay attention, but pretty soon it becomes almost unconscious. 

Minor note? Make sure to pay extra to get non-glare coating on the lens - makes a huge difference playing around sunrise or sunset.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag