Progressive glasses….do you use it when playing golf?

I can't use progressives.  Suggestion - get single vision distance glasses, 50% blue tint.  Work great on sunny or cloudy days and in lower light.  The blue tint is great for golf.  Easy to get these customized at eye buy direct.  If you know your distance  prescription, they're about $60.

Very good lenses.  

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

20 hours ago, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Anyone that have reached the noble age when your eyes is playing tricks with you…are you uses progressive glasses or regular once when playing golf?

So far have I used only regular glasses but I have started to recognize that it easier when removing the glasses lately😱😉.

Br Fredrik

I started wearing progressives about ten years ago. The first few times I had issues with blurriness when addressing the golf ball. Then my eyes adjusted and I have not had a problem since. 

Edited by Moonlightgrm
Typo

11 hours ago, GQ0208 said:

What about single vision glasses? Do people play with them comfortably? I have struggled every time I have tried to wear them playing golf but have been thinking about getting a pair of clear lens single vision Oakley’s. They are just crazy expensive. 

I wear single vision; wore Oakley and then REKS single vision wrap-around sunglasses for many years, but after 8 different procedures on my right eye in the last 3+ years, I need all the light and the least distortion I can get, so I’ve gone to clear, flat single vision glasses. The lenses are HD/HI, and it makes a difference following the ball and reading greens.

I’m curious; why would you pay for Oakleys with a clear lens? Oakleys are the premier wrap-around sunglasses, if only because of so many lens tint options, but I don’t think there is anything special about their clear lenses, is there?

12 hours ago, GQ0208 said:

What about single vision glasses? Do people play with them comfortably? I have struggled every time I have tried to wear them playing golf but have been thinking about getting a pair of clear lens single vision Oakley’s. They are just crazy expensive. 

Wearing single vision glasses is the standard advice, probably for good reason.  Although as I mentioned earlier, I didn't like that, and I play with a weakened progressive prescription.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

22 hours ago, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Anyone that have reached the noble age when your eyes is playing tricks with you…are you uses progressive glasses or regular once when playing golf?

So far have I used only regular glasses but I have started to recognize that it easier when removing the glasses lately😱😉.

Br Fredrik

Yes, I wear progressives.  I see no difference between them and regular glasses.  It is my understanding that properly fitted progressives provide exactly what I'm experiencing -- not only in golf, but throughout the day I never notice a "switch" or "transition" between the corrections.  I see everything equally well regardless of the distance.

There is some change in depth perception between glasses and no glasses, especially as the strength of correction increases.  It's not enough to effect my game but theoretically at least some may play better with contacts than glasses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluedot said:

I wear single vision; wore Oakley and then REKS single vision wrap-around sunglasses for many years, but after 8 different procedures on my right eye in the last 3+ years, I need all the light and the least distortion I can get, so I’ve gone to clear, flat single vision glasses. The lenses are HD/HI, and it makes a difference following the ball and reading greens.

I’m curious; why would you pay for Oakleys with a clear lens? Oakleys are the premier wrap-around sunglasses, if only because of so many lens tint options, but I don’t think there is anything special about their clear lenses, is there?

I have tried to wear my normal glasses while playing golf and I have a hard time because I can see the rim of my glasses. My thought about clear lens on Oakley sunglass frames is that I won’t see the rim of the glasses and they won’t move around as much on my head.  

However I worry about distortion with wrap around lens. Should I be worried? Also I was thinking about clear lens just because I play early a lot and it seems too dark for sunglasses.

Maybe I am overthinking all of this way too much but I don’t want to wear contacts.  Please provide any recommendations because I am open to any suggestions. I just know I want to have a better chance at seeing my ball land and help being able to read greens with clearer vision. 

54 minutes ago, GQ0208 said:

Maybe I am overthinking all of this way too much but I don’t want to wear contacts.  Please provide any recommendations because I am open to any suggestions. I just know I want to have a better chance at seeing my ball land and help being able to read greens with clearer vision. 

Why would you not want to wear contacts?  Unless you have crazy bad astigmatism, it is the best option.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, GQ0208 said:

I don’t do well with putting something in my eye. You should see when they try to check my eye pressure. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but time to get over it. 

My niece had the same argument, "I can't put anything in my eye!," and after about 10 pairs of broken glasses and cuts from same (playing volleyball) she got over her phobia and now wears contacts almost exclusively.

As long as your eye correction isn't complicated, it's far better than wearing glasses for golf.  Not even close.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

10 hours ago, GQ0208 said:

I have tried to wear my normal glasses while playing golf and I have a hard time because I can see the rim of my glasses. My thought about clear lens on Oakley sunglass frames is that I won’t see the rim of the glasses and they won’t move around as much on my head.  

However I worry about distortion with wrap around lens. Should I be worried? Also I was thinking about clear lens just because I play early a lot and it seems too dark for sunglasses.

I understand completely about seeing the frames, and it may be that your prescription is so strong that semi-rimless frames wouldn’t work for you.  But I promise it’s worth a trip to the optician to find out.

“High Index” is another part of the digital grind technology; it allows the lens to be significantly thinner and lighter than a standard grind lens. At Costco, semi-rimless frames with HD/HI lenses are under $300, with a discount on a second pair.

As to the distortion in a curved lens, I never noticed it, but I’ve heard other guys say they do; may be dependent on the strength of the prescription?

I am Myopic (short sighted) with astigmatism and presbyopia, which is the near reading difficulty part of things as you age where you start needing 'readers' even if you otherwise have 20/20 vision...

I've had PRK laser surgery for eye correction (30+ years ago!), and have tried RGP (the small, hard)  contact lenses but could never get rid of the terrible discomfort with them (unlike my sisters). Went to soft lenses (from monthly disposable to daily), which were great for many years.

Eyes eventually decided to reject soft lenses for some reason - so went to Progressive glasses.

Modern good progressives are very good - and can be designed for your needs whether you're a surgeon or a watchmaker etc, office specific ones which are also good for reading only... and there are golf specific designs available which are mostly biased for distance with only some Add help for near in a smaller portion of the lens and positioned so not to interfere with your view at address. I've got a pair of these and they work well - whereas wearing my full progressive glasses is a complete non-starter for golf.

After all that... I'm an exceptionally happy multifocal Scleral contact lens wearer now. This is a hard contact lens but much larger than the corneal ones, which actually makes them very comfortable... and the hard nature of them corrects any astigmatism as well as excellent vision. The multifocal aspect is unlike glasses... there are circles of different correction on the lens and the brain 'chooses' which works... sounds bizarre but truly works a treat (and my right lens is biased a bit more for near, and the left a bit more for distance). To me the multi focal aspect of these lenses is as automatic as when I didn't have presbyopia and is not reliant on where you looking such as progressive glasses relies on (and why they can be awful for golf and sports). I believe there are multifocal soft lenses available also... but since soft lenese float and move about a bit on the eye, i've heard they are not so successful for presbyopia or for correcting astigmatism).

Edited by coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Just to clarify on earlier comments, post cataract correction for night driving is very much apparent, significant glare reduction. Also great for low light twilight and rainy day playing in shadows where I usually find my ball! Find a competent Doc and learn as much as you can about lens options available. They are NOT all the same. And yes, unfortunately you WILL in all likelihood have to pony up some personal cash to get the correction you want. But in terms of finding something to improve your game, I can't think of anything more valuable.  Lots of personal preferences but when the time comes, don't hesitate to consider the option.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Br Fredrik

Some people aren't sensitive to it at all, and it's usually people with mild prescriptions.

My Rx is bananas, and so the wrong pair of glasses warps the edges like a fun house.

So if your progressive is minor you can get away w it just fine. My old pair is fine.

If you have a real departure "line" bt near and far (despite the progressive nature), it's a hindrance.

I'd suggest monovision for sports in general, and the flattest lenses possible for sunglasses if you don't use contacts.

I've had wrap sunglasses that were useless for anything but riding along.

Currently use Wayfarers in everything else bc they're pretty flat. Good style not super pricy but not cheap. Work well for me.

• Like 1

FDA recently approved Vuity for presbyopia (basically restricts pupil size to increase depth of focus) and there should be a couple more options approved after the first of the year. Should be a great option and allow single vision glasses for distance or no glasses at all. One drop supposedly gives around 6 hours of action (cost is $79 for a bottle that should last approximately one month). Because it was recently approved I've not heard any feedback regarding side effects. I'm an optometrist and deal with "progressive issues" on a daily basis. With progressive lenses you definitely get what you pay for as many have already stated. They can work if fit properly (frame selection, material, PAL design). However, with contacts, refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK, Clear lens exchange) and cataract surgical options (accommodating/Multifocal IOL's) there are now many options to avoid wearing glasses full time. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JTRAV87 said:

FDA recently approved Vuity for presbyopia (basically restricts pupil size to increase depth of focus) and there should be a couple more options approved after the first of the year. Should be a great option and allow single vision glasses for distance or no glasses at all. One drop supposedly gives around 6 hours of action (cost is $79 for a bottle that should last approximately one month). Because it was recently approved I've not heard any feedback regarding side effects. I'm an optometrist and deal with "progressive issues" on a daily basis. With progressive lenses you definitely get what you pay for as many have already stated. They can work if fit properly (frame selection, material, PAL design). However, with contacts, refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK, Clear lens exchange) and cataract surgical options (accommodating/Multifocal IOL's) there are now many options to avoid wearing glasses full time. 

This stuff you find out about on WRX.  Seems to be too good to be true.  Being in Canada, I don't think we'll see that approved here for a while as Health Canada always seems to try and "reinvent the wheel."  Will have to check with my optometrist in January.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I used to wear glasses for nearsightedness up to about 40 years years old. I stopped wearing them and my eyes strengthened because my eyes were doing the work and not the glasses. Now, I have 20/20 distance vision. But that's just me.

I only use weak reading glasses now when needed for distance up to about two feet away at almost 70 years old.

Ditching the glasses also ended the parallax effect when putting. "Wow, so the glasses made the hole like it was there, when it was really there..."

Edited by Soloman1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

14 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I used to wear glasses for nearsightedness up to about 40 years years old. I stopped wearing them and my eyes strengthened because my eyes were doing the work and not the glasses. Now, I have 20/20 distance vision. But that's just me.

I only use weak reading glasses now when needed for distance up to about two feet away at almost 70 years old.

Ditching the glasses also ended the parallax effect when putting. "Wow, so the glasses made the hole like it was there, when it was really there..."

There is no scientific proof that (strengthening your eyes) can happen.  What most likely happened is that you were misdiagnosed early on with myopia when you weren't myopic.  You were likely better than 20/20 (20/15 or better) and they screwed up.

What can happen as you age, is that the lens hardens and your vision can get better.  Mine has gotten slightly better in the last 5 years (now 61) but the downside of that is that cataracts are in my immediate future.

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I've been misdiagnosed with plenty of things... 🙂

I'll take placebo effect for $200?

Sorry about the cataracts, but everyone I've known to get surgery has done well with it. Small P value, but good luck.

Still more than a few years away, but likely before I hit 70 if I use my brother as a reference.  

Right now my distance vision is superb.  Pales in comparison to a couple of friends who are 20/15 or better.   I remember reading about Baseball players who make it to the bigs, almost all of them have better than 20/20.  Ted Williams was 20/10 and his vision was scary good. 

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, Fredrik Blomgren said:

Hello

Br Fredrik

I have hade the progressive glasses since just before Christmas and have had very little issues with them.

I went for the most expensive glass the offered with wide sight area.

I was a bit tired the first couple of evening after wearing them a ful day.

Tried them on SIM golf and they went on and off the first session and for the second session I didn’t noticed them at all.

If everything continues as it has started it will be all good when the golf season starts here in Sweden.

Br Fredrik 

• Like 1

NO. I can't play in polarized lenses either. I have a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses with Transition lenses that are the best golf glasses I have ever had. ZERO DISTORTION PERIOD! Best money I ever spent on golf except MAYBE my Garmin S60. They made a huge difference in my game. I used to have trouble putting, pulled everything unless I just aimed a bit right. Got these glasses and started draining putts like nobodies business. Put my old glasses on and started pulling them again. There was a slight distortion when I was lining up to putt that threw me off. I had no idea, I thought I just sucked at putting. Now I know better.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize