Favorite Iron shafts

RHenderson

Good afternoon. I have a set of 2020 Titleist T100s irons I really like and want to re shaft these over winter. Current shaft in them is factory installed Aerotech i95 Steel Fiber shafts which I do not care for so please recommend or share your favorite iron shaft so I can consider them. I do own another set of T100 irons that do have shafts I like better, so I know some will suggest choosing those shafts,? I  just want to see if there is something out there I have not considered. " $ Not an object as long as within reason " $800 budget, as I plan on keeping these as my gamers or as very close second set ( back up) The Steel fiber set was purchased new ( mint ) from a friend who ordered them and did not like them due to his ( this ) shaft selection. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and recommendations. Thank you in advance Rich    

4 HDCP, 7 Iron SS Low-80's Above + avg. ball striker, Smooth to slight aggressive tempo, Tournament player ( 3-10 YR. ), likes to work the ball but natural ball flight lower- mid height draw. Regular+ to Stiff, no way would I consider and X Shaft. Standard length shafts, 1.5*-2* flat Irons. Pretty boring actually just Straight off the Tee, Hit lots of greens in Reg. and makes a few putts.   

These are my most recent 8i numbers. I like Nippon Modus 120x, Dynamic Golf s400’s and $ Taper stiff + or even x-flex. I’m not very shaft sensitive but I really disliked C taper S+ and I’m struggling with MMT 105 S at present. I’m lukewarm on KBS Tour V X flex and a bit up in the air on Project x Lz 6.5 though I played some crispy shots with Project x 6.0 a while ago. 

9230DEAA-7A67-49EC-AC6D-C9997263D90F.png

E02B2C61-B845-4CDA-A82E-DCFBBC0092D3.png

• Like 1

Just now, mcounci2 said:

Somewhat in the dark, I'd hand you a Dynamic Gold 105 or 120. 

I did that by design because I already have a shaft in my second set of t100 that I could go with, but I wanted to hear what others thought or might suggest in the event I was over looking a shaft. I'm a long time player that likes to see a pleasant ball flight, that suits my eye more than what a simulator tells me. Granted using a simulator for Driver might be closer since the numbers tell the story but in irons I much prefer to see the ball flight and even play a round or to. But I do like a slightly higher trajectory but still boring ball flight that allows ball to be worked and land softly.  

How do you like the weight of your current shafts? In this range my two favorites or either the Stiff Nippon NS Pro 950 or a Stiff (soft stepped) KBS Tour 90. I find those shafts to play about the same for me with the only difference being ball fight. I get a higher flight with the Nippon and a little lower with the KBS. Both shafts are right around 100g

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei Blue Stiff

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* Tensei Blue Stiff

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 19*H Tensei Blue Stiff

4i - Titleist U-500 Tensei Blue Stiff

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 54*/12* bent to 55*/13* stock shaft S Grind

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 60*/8* stock shaft Eye 2 Grind

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft

Snell MTB-Black

My favorite iron shafts is the iron shaft that was fit for my swing, which may not be the same as your swing.

PXG 0311X 9°, Ventus Black 6s
Titleist TSI2 15°, Ventus Red 7s
PXG 0341 XF 21°, Diamana S+ 7s

PXG 0311 P Gen 3 4-GW, KBS TGI 95 
PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 56° 10, 60° 07, KBS TGI 95 
Ping Ketsch Armlock, BGT Stability

11 minutes ago, CUBuffaloes said:

How do you like the weight of your current shafts? In this range my two favorites or either the Stiff Nippon NS Pro 950 or a Stiff (soft stepped) KBS Tour 90. I find those shafts to play about the same for me with the only difference being ball fight. I get a higher flight with the Nippon and a little lower with the KBS. Both shafts are right around 100g

Personally I feel the shafts are on the light side for me, would prefer a shaft between 100-130 gr But there is something about these I just don't care for? they seem dull, not crisp and seem to promote a flatter ball flight than I like? I'm 57 yrs old and have played Dynamic Gold shafts for years and these SF i95's just don't have that crisp, fast ball feel, almost seems a little dead if that is how you would describe it?

Thanks  

Edited by RHenderson

miaistomp ?

Those are the shafts I'm wanting to replace. The i95, but I need to clarify I have a buddy that has a set of T200 irons with the i80 Steel Fibers in Regular and he loves them, it's just the difference between the two of us. He likes to hit the ball low & stright and I like to work the ball a little more so I'm not saying they are bad shafts, just saying they are not for me. We have another buddy that has a set with Tensi iron shafts and I've hit his a few times and crush them, just not quite as accurate as I like, thus my reasoning for asking the question.  

Edited by RHenderson

PK, Thanks for the ideas, what about the Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 130? I know and have played Nippon shafts in the past, just hadnt looked at the Pro 130's, but when you do they are actually not as heavy as you would think, I think the NS Pro 130 in stiff only weights 124g but all the reviews claim mid- high ball flight with tour trajectory? Something I'm considering.   

1 hour ago, RHenderson said:

PK, Thanks for the ideas, what about the Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 130? I know and have played Nippon shafts in the past, just hadnt looked at the Pro 130's, but when you do they are actually not as heavy as you would think, I think the NS Pro 130 in stiff only weights 124g but all the reviews claim mid- high ball flight with tour trajectory? Something I'm considering.   

I play 130 Stiffs, soft stepped 1x.  For reference I'm around 90 mph with 6 iron, quick tempo.  They've been my personal favorite shaft all time, absolutely love the feel, gets my launch up a bit and keeps spin down.  I think they play quite stiff to flex, I had a set of stiffs straight in a different set and I lost a little feel.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jas904 said:

My favorite iron shafts is the iron shaft that was fit for my swing, which may not be the same as your swing.

i think  they have discontinued every one of my favourite shafts over the years

Dynamic Gold  lite,FM lite,Dynalite Gold,Rifle TX90  tour etc

I supose every shaft made has been discontinued with the exception of the Dynamic Gold  but  they fell out of favour  in my  late 20s

Low 80's SS with 7 iron is a regular flex in a lot of steel shafts. But every steel shaft plays differently in whatever flex you pick.

I assume you want to go to steel?

Picking a shaft is a lot harder now than before. Years ago it was Dynamic Gold R or S 300.

It's a science now.

Good luck.

Titleist TS2 9*
Titleist TS2 16.5*

Titleist TS2 21*

Vokey SM7 56M

Odyssey White Hot #2

I have about your same swing. 

Nippon Modus Shafts. They are Mid High kick point so they done balloon up, medium trajectory. 

the 105 and 125 are same bend in a different weight.

The 120 has a lower kick and will launch a little higher

the 130 is a tour level shaft.

Nippon Shaft | Realizing Pro Golfers' Tour Dreams

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:59 PM, RHenderson said:

what about the Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 130?

The Modus 130 is a different animal than the other Modus shafts.  The 125 is somewhat DG like, the 120 is an exaggerated version of Dynamic Gold with a softer butt and mid section, but the 130 is almost completely opposite.  It has a stiff butt and stiff mid section, with a soft tip.

I'll share some Wishon Shaft Profile data below...  note how the Steelfiber i95 stiff is pretty close to DGS throughout the shaft.  But, the 130 in regular is roughly similar in stiffness, until you get to the tip, where it drops off significantly.  

FWIW, I've been a DGS user the last several years, and tested the 130 in S.  You definitely feel that softer tip, and the butt/mid of the shaft was stiffer than I cared for; it didn't pass the audition for me.  Definitely got the ball in the air, though.  At the time, that wasn't good for me, but now, it might be OK (except that I've gone graphite) 

image.png.361b841b38d15691136e9843498c2269.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

On 11/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, RHenderson said:

I do own another set of T100 irons that do have shafts I like better, so I know some will suggest choosing those shafts,?

First, would you do the reshafting yourself, or have a clubsmith do it? If you're hiring it out, you might do better to find T100 set with shafts you want, and trade in current T100 set with SFi95.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, RHenderson said:

I  just want to see if there is something out there I have not considered.

In this day and time there always is. In SF, you might consider going up a notch...

Aerotech_SF_FC115.jpg

SF recommends the fc115.CW as a transition shaft for those who have been playing heavy steel in irons.

From your description, you may be overpowering the SF i95 model.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

ChipNRun, The t100's I'm wanting to re-shaft is a Black Limited Edition set so I would not want to sell them. I really like the irons, just not the shafts so yes I would be re-shafting them myself.

I personally have hit a few other Steel Fiber shafted clubs and I just don't like them, so no need to keep trying another version, I'm willing to listen and might consider another brand of graphite.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, RHenderson said:

I personally have hit a few other Steel Fiber shafted clubs and I just don't like them, ...

RH, you clearly have higher CHS than I do. I'm 71, have 90 MPH CHS with driver on good days, and 80 MPH 6i with graphite shafts.

My experience with SF has been mixed. For two years played SF 780 HLS hybrid shaft (75 grams, R-flex) in my previous iron set's 4i. It became a solid driving iron and into-wind approach club.

January 2015 I stumbled across two used sets of Bridgestone J40 irons in a large GGalaxy. From my old notes, one set had SF i95 and the other Recoil 95; both were F4 / Stiff flex. The SF felt solid but was about 1.5 clubs shorter than my current irons at time, which had R-flex NS Pro 8950 (97 gram) shafts. The Recoils flew a bit shorter than my NS shafts, but not as short as the SFs.

Then, at the last pre-COVID golf expo I attended, the TM rep set up some M2 iron versions for me to hit. The SF i80 in R-flex was OK, but it felt a little feathery and I tended to overswing.

SFs makes well-designed shafts, but other than the hybrid shaft I haven't found anything that WOWed me personally. When asked by others, I liken the SF shafts to the traditional steel PX shafts: Solid, but a bit harsh for the average golfer.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.