2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Speed Training Tips

cgallery

Here's why I went Stack (I never did the Speed Sticks system, but have fooled around with them)

1. Designed by a biomechanist. Go find any podcast with Sasho MacKenzie. He knows what he's talking about and has designed a system that works.

2. Single stick + weight system... lots more options with less total stuff... Allows you to jump around in weight a ton while only carrying 1 stick (And a weight pouch)

3. App is awesome. Dynamically changes the workouts based on where you need to be working. Sets reminders in your phone and tells you exactly what to do. 

It's more expensive, but I looked at it as an investment that will keep working for me as I get faster (and as I age and start slowing down)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

You don't really need a system. My swing speed with a 45 inch driver is mid 130s. All you have to do is go to the gym and work on legs and core, core to the range a minimum of 3 times a week, preferably spaced out sessions, and hit entire buckets with only your driver. You may end of cracking your driver. You'll get tired but even after a month, you'll see results. You'll see a big jump around months 2-3. People get too technical and look for shortcuts and merchandise instead of doing the workouts. People want to "buy" distance. It's not that way

• Like 3

Get as strong as possible on compound exercises. Press, pull, squat, hinge, twist.

Get as fast as possible. Jumping, sprinting

Maintain decent mobility. No need to do yoga every morning. A proper full ROM strength program does most of the heavy lifting.

Go hit a bunch of drives as hard as possible. Maximum every other day, minimum once a week. Do it on a launch monitor to get speed feedback and try and break your previous best each time. You can't feel speed, it has to be measured.

Work on your technique in between speed sessions. When practicing speed directly, it's important not to get bogged up with technique thoughts. Only focus on power moves. But technique training is still important in between, because poor swing mechanics slow you down a lot.

These are the most important points, and using speed sticks should be an add on. Although a useful one at that. It could possibly replace a lot of the explosive gym training or driving practice if you're short on time or launch monitor access. 

But strength training should be done regardless of golfing goals.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Get as strong as possible on compound exercises. Press, pull, squat, hinge, twist.

Get as fast as possible. Jumping, sprinting

Maintain decent mobility. No need to do yoga every morning. A proper full ROM strength program does most of the heavy lifting.

Go hit a bunch of drives as hard as possible. Maximum every other day, minimum once a week. Do it on a launch monitor to get speed feedback and try and break your previous best each time. You can't feel speed, it has to be measured.

Work on your technique in between speed sessions. When practicing speed directly, it's important not to get bogged up with technique thoughts. Only focus on power moves. But technique training is still important in between, because poor swing mechanics slow you down a lot.

These are the most important points, and using speed sticks should be an add on. Although a useful one at that. It could possibly replace a lot of the explosive gym training or driving practice if you're short on time or launch monitor access. 

But strength training should be done regardless of golfing goals.

This ^^^ The only thing I would add is to swing a heavy club lefty if you are a righty or vice versa and swing a very light club or even a grip and a shaft in your dominant direction.  Swinging the heavy club in your non dominant direction will help offset muscle imbalances created from playing a one sided sport and it will also create a stretch in the opposite direction of your dominant side.  Swinging the grip and shaft in your dominant direction will help to excite your fast twitch muscle fibers. This is the equivalent to sprinters running downhill. Also know that you can only be so fast as you are either born fast or not and all you can do is try to recover as much of your potential as you can from your athletic peak which has likely passed most of us by. That being said a regular fitness regimen will shallow out the curve of lost performance so that you can hold onto your performance recovery for as long as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• cgallery changed the title to Best Speed Training Tips
4 hours ago, jwb10 said:

Sadly, i've lost distance with age. i stay in shape, work out, but nothing stops it. Then i see speed training promising 2-3 mph after killing yourself for 6 weeks, Really ? WTF

Sad John Cena GIF

We all get a tick slower everyday as that is life...the objective is to stay as physically fit as possible as to slow the inevitable loss of performance over time.  Gary Player is still in really good shape but he is still much slower than he was in his prime of course but his performance didn't fall off a cliff because he remained fit.  And if you don't want the gains then don't do the work and just accept what you have.  2-3 mph increase in speed is about 8 yards of carry and 6 weeks of work would we well worth it in my opinion to recover that amount of lost performance.     

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, jwb10 said:

Sadly, i've lost distance with age. i stay in shape, work out, but nothing stops it. Then i see speed training promising 2-3 mph after killing yourself for 6 weeks, Really ? WTF

Sad John Cena GIF

Stack doesn’t require you kill yourself… just dedicate 30 minutes every other day. 

it really hasn’t been terrible, other than the day I did it before I played golf. Big mistake.

plenty of ways to gain speed. Mike carrol and fit for golf has a great program.

he still uses the stack.

if you are interested in specifically building club head speed, it makes sense to me to do a speed training program. You can hack one out on your own, or you can follow a program built by a bio mechanist…

I don’t consider it “buying speed” I think of it as hiring a speed consultant… you still have to do the work, he’s just there to make sure it’s effective.

if you don’t want to buy a speed training system, at least make sure you are tracking your club head speed (not average distance)… that can at least show if you are making gains.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

16 hours ago, jwb10 said:

I PLAY as well as ever it's just at 62 it's way harder ! And I have the Lightspeed and tried to use it but it hasn't worked. And my son, who plays about twice a month has 180 mph ballspeed w/o even trying. Youth is wasted on the young !!

So very very true and life is unfair in that regard in that as knowledge and experience increase, physical gifts are decreasing, and are often taken for granted in our youth. Most don't realize until much later that if they had nurtured and maintained their physical gifts as much as possible that they would be in a much better place to make sure their physical and mental peaks cross over as early as possible in life.

All the extra work, or that extra stretching and mobility work, or resisting overeating or drinking to excess adds up and shallows the loss of performance in the long run but it is almost certainly never given it's proper respect in the moment. Later on in life we then realize how valuable that physical gift would be to us right now and then we are forced to chase lost performance when if we had nurtured it from the beginning then we would have much more of that performance available to us now as it is much easier to stay in shape than to get in shape and it becomes a tick more difficult everyday of our life.  But such is life!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these off eBay for $50 and was watching a YouTube video on resistance band training. My flexibility has always been pretty good, but now at 50, my muscle mass isn't what it was in my 30's. 

Screenshot_20211223-175308.png

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

12 hours ago, lefthack said:

I picked up one of these off eBay for $50 and was watching a YouTube video on resistance band training. My flexibility has always been pretty good, but now at 50, my muscle mass isn't what it was in my 30's. 

Screenshot_20211223-175308.png

Jaacob Bowden's workout in those YT vids worked for me.

As posted in the Instruction and Academy subforum, I like combining all of it:  Heavy lifting (mainly compound lifts), speed work, bodyweight stuff.  Above all trying to stay healthy and injury resistant.

I completely agree with @Righty to Lefty on swinging with the non dominant side also due to stresses (especially in the back) and imbalances when we only rotate explosively in one direction.  I did Bowden's resistance band workout both righty and lefty.  Same goes for opposing muscles in the gym.

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 12/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, joostin said:

Jaacob Bowden's workout in those YT vids worked for me.

As posted in the Instruction and Academy subforum, I like combining all of it:  Heavy lifting (mainly compound lifts), speed work, bodyweight stuff.  Above all trying to stay healthy and injury resistant.

I completely agree with @Righty to Lefty on swinging with the non dominant side also due to stresses (especially in the back) and imbalances when we only rotate explosively in one direction.  I did Bowden's resistance band workout both righty and lefty.  Same goes for opposing muscles in the gym.

The beauty is that swinging a heavy club in your non dominant direction alone is effectively overspeed training for your dominant side because it will be increasing your backswing speed.  It will also be doing double duty because it will also make your legs  and core more stable in the dominant side take away to keep your swing center...more centered and stable.  I have a right handed "Heavy Hitter" club that I use right handed because I can actually hit golf balls with it and it is amazing how much it does for my lefty swing.  I also have a Tsunami bar that I use in the mornings and it is basically a stop the handle drill on steroids and it is fantastic for prepping my body for the extra force and leverage being created. 

In my experience if you only played golf with your dominant side and did the heavy club with your non dominant side and the stop the handle drills in both directions this alone would recover and maintain the most speed.  Overtraining your dominant side really isn't biggest key to speed as it relates to golf, it is actually the amount of braking force that you create that is the key as this is the mechanism that actually transfers speed and leverage into the clubhead. This braking force isn't increased by swinging a light club fast because this doesn't tax the muscles that stop the handle and as I have stated previously that trying to speed up the clubhead is always slow because it is an inefficient transfer of energy.

Power is brought up from the ground via the stable base that the feet create ( The feet are actually torqueing the ground in the opposite direction of each other prior to any movement of the club and the net effect is no movement or a stable base), the hips speed up then slow down, the hands speed up then slow down, then the club head speeds up then slows down.  Trying to accelerate the club head means that you continued accelerating the hands and thus never transferred your power and leverage to the club head. And since the hands are much closer to the center of rotation than the club head is this is why it will always be slower to try to accelerate the club head. By trying to decelerate the club head you will be forced to stop the handle end of the club as this is your physical connection to the club and this will force rotation of the body (unless you are doing the stop the handle drill at which point you will feel all of this force stop at your hands and you will also feel how much stability is required from the legs, core, hands, and forearms to cope with it. This force will not be felt as much during the swing because it will force rotation of the body and be transferred onward to the shaft and then the club head and finally into the ball.) It will also force your hands to work in opposition to each other, which just like your feet working in opposition to each other, will create stability and also reduce club face rotation though the shot which will lead to consistency and better club face control even at higher speeds.  Increasing speed is only beneficial if your ability to brake is increased, because if not you will still be inefficient in your transfer of speed, power, and leverage. The objective should be to stop the handle so aggressively that you snap the shaft in half! Let me know if I was unclear on anything and I will clarify. R to L

Stop the handle drill: 

Tsunami Bar (Love this thing...but not in the beginning!)

https://www.tsunamibarsports.com/product/swing-balance-multi-stik-magnum-63/

63-Multi-Stick-Magnum.jpg

Edited by Righty to Lefty
Added Information
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

The beauty is that swinging a heavy club in your non dominant direction alone is effectively overspeed training for your dominant side because it will be increasing your backswing speed.  It will also be doing double duty because it will also make your legs  and core more stable in the dominant side take away to keep your swing center...more centered and stable.  I have a right handed "Heavy Hitter" club that I use right handed because I can actually hit golf balls with it and it is amazing how much it does for my lefty swing.  I also have a Tsunami bar that I use in the mornings and it is basically a stop the handle drill on steroids and it is fantastic for prepping my body for the extra force and leverage being created. 

In my experience if you only played golf with your dominant side and did the heavy club with your non dominant side and the stop the handle drills in both directions this alone would recover and maintain the most speed.  Overtraining your dominant side really isn't biggest key to speed as it relates to golf, it is actually the amount of braking force that you create that is the key as this is the mechanism that actually transfers speed and leverage into the clubhead. This braking force isn't increased by swinging a light club fast because this doesn't tax the muscles that stop the handle and as I have stated previously that trying to speed up the clubhead is always slow because it is an inefficient transfer of energy.

Power is brought up from the ground via the stable base that the feet create ( The feet are actually torqueing the ground in the opposite direction of each other prior to any movement of the club and the net effect is no movement or a stable base), the hips speed up then slow down, the hands speed up then slow down, then the club head speeds up then slows down.  Trying to accelerate the club head means that you continued accelerating the hands and thus never transferred your power and leverage to the club head. And since the hands are much closer to the center of rotation than the club head is this is why it will always be slower to try to accelerate the club head. By trying to decelerate the club head you will be forced to stop the handle end of the club as this is your physical connection to the club and this will force rotation of the body (unless you are doing the stop the handle drill at which point you will feel all of this force stop at your hands and you will also feel how much stability is required from the legs, core, hands, and forearms to cope with it. This force will not be felt as much during the swing because it will force rotation of the body and be transferred onward to the shaft and then the club head and finally into the ball.) It will also force your hands to work in opposition to each other, which just like your feet working in opposition to each other, will create stability and also reduce club face rotation though the shot which will lead to consistency and better club face control even at higher speeds.  Increasing speed is only beneficial if your ability to brake is increased, because if not you will still be inefficient in your transfer of speed, power, and leverage. The objective should be to stop the handle so aggressively that you snap the shaft in half! Let me know if I was unclear on anything and I will clarify. R to L

Stop the handle drill: 

Tsunami Bar (Love this thing...but not in the beginning!)

https://www.tsunamibarsports.com/product/swing-balance-multi-stik-magnum-63/

63-Multi-Stick-Magnum.jpg

I like it... going to try.  Check out DeChambeau's revelation video at the 3:00 min mark below.  He's talking about stopping the handle and allowing the clubhead to whip through with closure.  It's inline with following the motion of the body creating a chain-reaction whip.  It's well known that Rory's hip rotation stops and actually reverses direction a bit before impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 12/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, joostin said:

I like it... going to try.  Check out DeChambeau's revelation video at the 3:00 min mark below.  He's talking about stopping the handle and allowing the clubhead to whip through with closure.  It's inline with following the motion of the body creating a chain-reaction whip.  It's well known that Rory's hip rotation stops and actually reverses direction a bit before impact.

Fantastic and please come back with your findings and questions as I found this discovery phase quite exciting.  I saw this video about a week ago and it didn't shock me that he started to realize this because he is very intuitive and curious as a golfer.  I had previously heard him say that he "felt" like he ripped the club from the top and immediately upon hearing that I knew that even though he was fast...he could be faster and when you see his swing next to Berkshire's you will see that Berkshire's swing takes almost twice as long even though he is swinging 20 mph faster. That is because Berkshire is making the club take the widest arc and even though he is aggressively ripping the club into the backswing, he is making it take the widest possible arc, and he is also waiting until very late in his swing arc to stop the handle end of the club.  You can tell when he is stopping the handle because the force literally lifts him off the ground and that is why his lead foot comes off the ground as that is the effect of the chain reaction that he is setting off. He isn't out of balance, he is countering the force and thus his club face is still very stable.  

You must stop the handle at some point between shaft parallel on the downswing and low point  of the swing arc as any point other than that will be wasted effort and I will put up a force vector diagram to explain that. Even though this is a technically a planet going around the sun on a horizontal plane all you have to do is imagine it on a tilted plane and it becomes a golf swing.  You must stop the handle at some point between shaft parallel and low point and when you do will depend on how fast twitch you are where the faster you are, the more patient you will have to be. As you fatigue you will have to stop the handle sooner, but still within the same effective region of shaft parallel and the low point of the swing arc.  

Rahm - Physical Limitations - Page 2 - Tour Talk - GolfWRX

A video about the application of force vectors and how they are applied to a golf swing: 

You can literally see where Berkshire is stopping the handle end and rapidly accelerating the club prior to impact where Bryson isn't stopping the handle until after impact and that is because he is trying to accelerate the club head which is always slower. Dechambeau  is inefficient in his transfer of speed onward to the club head because he isn't stopping the handle until after impact. Just as if you were pushing a kid on a swing the optimal point to assist the momentum will always occurs prior to them reaching the lowest point of the swing arc.  

We have all heard that " golf is a game of opposites" where often to get what you want you have to "feel" the opposite and this is no different. It is very hard to convince yourself that to go faster that you should try to decelerate the club head but once you feel it correctly one time you will understand.  The aggression that Rory's hips decelerate at is a perfect example of this phenomenon and though of course most can't achieve his level of braking, the objective is to achieve as much as you athletically can as it sets off a chain reaction that takes care of everything for you.  I brake so aggressively that it "feels" like I am trying to literally place the club head onto the back of the ball but that is a feeling that is tough for most to comprehend because it seems so counterintuitive.  Internally at first it felt super violent yet externally on camera my swing was much more fluid and I started getting compliments on my swing which had never happened before. Eventually your mind will adjust and accept it but it takes a moment to recalibrate.  I look forward to hearing back about your experience and please don't hesitate to reach out with your questions and such because there is much more detail to be explained but I will wait for you to come back with your questions.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Fantastic and please come back with your findings and questions as I found this discovery phase quite exciting.  I saw this video about a week ago and it didn't shock me that he started to realize this because he is very intuitive and curious as a golfer.  I had previously heard him say that he "felt" like he ripped the club from the top and immediately upon hearing that I knew that even though he was fast...he could be faster and when you see his swing next to Berkshire's you will see that Berkshire's swing takes almost twice as long even though he is swinging 20 mph faster. That is because Berkshire is making the club take the widest arc and even though he is aggressively ripping the club into the backswing, he is making it take he widest possible arc, and he is also waiting until very late in his swing arc to stop the handle end of the club.  You can tell when he is stopping the handle because the force literally lifts him off the ground and that is why his lead foot comes off the ground as that is the effect of the chain reaction that he is setting off. He isn't out of balance, he is countering the force and thus his club face is still very stable.  

You must stop the handle at some point between shaft parallel on the downswing and low point  of the swing arc as any point other than that will be wasted effort and I will put up a force vector diagram to explain that. Even though this is a technically a planet going around the sun on a horizontal plane all you have to do is imagine it on a tilted plane and it becomes a golf swing.  You must stop the handle at some point between shaft parallel and low point and when you do will depend on how fast twitch you are where the faster you are, the more patient you will have to be. As you fatigue you will have to stop the handle sooner, but still within the same effective region of shaft parallel and the low point of the swing arc.  

Rahm - Physical Limitations - Page 2 - Tour Talk - GolfWRX

A video about the application of force vectors and how they are applied to a golf swing: 

You can literally see where Berkshire is stopping the handle end and rapidly accelerating the club prior to impact where Bryson isn't stopping the handle until after impact and that is because he is trying to accelerate the club head which is always slower. Dechambeau  is inefficient in his transfer of speed onward to the club head because he isn't stopping the handle until after impact. Just as if you were pushing a kid on a swing the optimal point to assist the momentum will always occurs prior to them reaching the lowest point of the swing arc.  

We have all heard that " golf is a game of opposites" where often to get what you want you have to "feel" the opposite and this is no different. It is very hard to convince yourself that to go faster that you should try to decelerate the club head but once you feel it correctly one time you will understand.  The aggression that Rory's hips decelerate at is a perfect example of this phenomenon and though of course most can't achieve his level of braking, the objective is to achieve as much as you athletically can as it sets off a chain reaction that takes care of everything for you.  I brake so aggressively that it "feels" like I am trying to literally place the club head onto the back of the ball but that is a feeling that is tough for most to comprehend because it seems so counterintuitive.  Internally at first it felt super violent yet externally on camera my swing was much more fluid and I started getting compliments on my swing which had never happened before. Eventually your mind will adjust and accept it but it takes a moment to recalibrate.  I look forward to hearing back about your experience and please don't hesitate to reach out with your questions and such because there is much more detail to be explained but I will wait for you to come back with your questions.  

Thanks!  I had a recent thread showing the physics of speed in rotation, below, and in the past posted about centripetal force - in which the force points inward towards the center of rotation (gravitational pull towards the sun) - not in the direction of the clubhead path or target.

I fully agree with the braking aspect and training.  However I gotta disagree though with the DeChambeau-Berkshire video saying BDC is inefficient with speed creation (dude reached world-class 219 ball speed).  I'm not a BDC fanboy, and Berkshire has a much nicer aggressive swing, but I believe all the elite players have very efficient deliveries.  You could make a case for all the weird swings as well as prototypical ones.  Each one is very personal to their own abilities, levers, strengths, feel, goals, etc.  Despite BDC's revelation, his swing will look the same but it'll be a different feel/queue to him.

We really need more slow-mo vids done with super high fps like the Phantom camera one I found to superimpose the below pic.  But I believe around impact we'll see very similar things for all pros and ams swinging at relatively high speeds.  It might feel or look different by the naked eye, but efficiency is getting to this rotation, where there's little lateral motion of the handle, just like you're talking about:

arc-trace.PNG.ba758de202e5c18447760b930b24cb67.PNG

I traced the shaft in four still images (technically better if it was from butt to CG of the head), then brought them together, so everyone could see how much the clubhead traveled, but how little the butt has in creation of the whip around impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, joostin said:

Thanks!  I had a recent thread showing the physics of speed in rotation, below, and in the past posted about centripetal force - in which the force points inward towards the center of rotation (gravitational pull towards the sun) - not in the direction of the clubhead path or target.

I fully agree with the braking aspect and training.  However I gotta disagree though with the DeChambeau-Berkshire video saying BDC is inefficient with speed creation (dude reached world-class 219 ball speed).  I'm not a BDC fanboy, and Berkshire has a much nicer aggressive swing, but I believe all the elite players have very efficient deliveries.  You could make a case for all the weird swings as well as prototypical ones.  Each one is very personal to their own abilities, levers, strengths, feel, goals, etc.  Despite BDC's revelation, his swing will look the same but it'll be a different feel/queue to him.

We really need more slow-mo vids done with super high fps like the Phantom camera one I found to superimpose the below pic.  But I believe around impact we'll see very similar things for all pros and ams swinging at relatively high speeds.  It might feel or look different by the naked eye, but efficiency is getting to this rotation, where there's little lateral motion of the handle, just like you're talking about:

arc-trace.PNG.ba758de202e5c18447760b930b24cb67.PNG

I traced the shaft in four still images (technically better if it was from butt to CG of the head), then brought them together, so everyone could see how much the clubhead traveled, but how little the butt has in creation of the whip around impact.

I agree 100% and of course Bryson is obviously very fast...all I'm saying is that he can be faster and I think that he is starting to realize as he continues to experiment and I think that he will intuitively experiment and will continue to have "ah ha" moments and I bet you he will eventually dig it out of the dirt and begin to stop the handle prior to low point and not even realize it but it will show up on video and all he will know is that he hits it better and he will develop a "feel" that helps him produce it.

I am actually speaking from a scientific perspective when I say "inefficient" because I was looking at it from a percentage basis in that he is likely getting 90 ish percent of his max potential where Berkshire is likely getting 95% of his.  A human likely can't get to 100% efficiency as that is even difficult for a robot to attain because as you approach it everything would contribute to a reduction in efficiency and make it very difficult to attain such as the club head, the shaft, grip, glove, the turf that is being hit off of, the tee, the ball, getting one day minute second older, etc.  Dechambeau is also not as flexible as Berkshire and that will also detract from his efficiency but all you can do is try to minimize that as best you can because of course all athletes are built differently. 

You are correct that you have to see the swing in slow motion to actually be able to see the effect and you also have to be aware of what you are looking for and it wasn't until I saw the video of Berkshire in sync with DeChambeau that it even became clear and I had to watch it multiple times before I picked up on the nuance that he was stopping the handle too late and reducing his efficiency because before that time the only clue that told me he was inefficient was when he stated that he was "pulling hard from the top" of his backswing in an interview because I knew that action will be slower.  What is crazy is that we are talking millimeters and milliseconds difference between the most and least efficient swings even when comparing ams to pros.  I love this stuff and I'm so glad that you picked up on this and dug deeper and came back with information because I have been banging my head on keyboards for years because this understanding will lead to overall improvement especially in swing analysis.  Keep the info coming and push it out there so we can discuss it.  R to L

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I love this stuff and I'm so glad that you picked up on this and dug deeper and came back with information because I have been banging my head on keyboards for years because this understanding will lead to overall improvement especially in swing analysis.  Keep the info coming and push it out there so we can discuss it.  R to L

With you man!  More to come...  Maybe start a stop the handle thread R-L?  Would probably be a good stand alone topic.

Just anecdotally, I've had weird swings here and there that have felt off but good results - like I flipped at it and club tugged on me - not a smooth normal follow through, but also not a hard-effort swing while maintaining distance.  I also have had good results with Monte S.'s No Turn Cast (not actually bad cast motions but more a feel vs real thing), and that makes me think of Fred Couple's swing that seems handsy around impact.  I think this all relates to the release that we're talking about.

16 hours ago, joostin said:

With you man!  More to come...  Maybe start a stop the handle thread R-L?  Would probably be a good stand alone topic.

Just anecdotally, I've had weird swings here and there that have felt off but good results - like I flipped at it and club tugged on me - not a smooth normal follow through, but also not a hard-effort swing while maintaining distance.  I also have had good results with Monte S.'s No Turn Cast (not actually bad cast motions but more a feel vs real thing), and that makes me think of Fred Couple's swing that seems handsy around impact.  I think this all relates to the release that we're talking about.

That is a good idea and I will work on a thread....even though it might just be the two of us that ever visit it!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, jwb10 said:

Sad John Cena GIF

You're gonna age 6 weeks in 6 weeks anyways.  Might as well hit the ball further too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can someone tell me how working on your leg strength actually increases clubhead speed?

I seriously dont get it.   Your legs are fairly passive in the swing and you swing your arms to hit the ball. 

Gone back to the gym after a 2.5 year hiatus.  Sore as hell the last week and swing speed has dropped due to soreness and pain.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

Can someone tell me how working on your leg strength actually increases clubhead speed?

I seriously dont get it.   Your legs are fairly passive in the swing and you swing your arms to hit the ball. 

Gone back to the gym after a 2.5 year hiatus.  Sore as hell the last week and swing speed has dropped due to soreness and pain.

Legs are not passive at all in high speed swings. If you're swinging correctly then you'll be pushing really hard off the ground. Especially off the lead leg into impact.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2022 at 11:20 PM, Trap Junior said:

Thread bump but the legs provide stability for you to brace against and so they are passive in that aspect but you need their strength to bring power up from the ground and transfer it efficiently from the ground to the club head.  A swing motion's low point becomes unpredictable if the base is unstable.