Need Help!!! What Driver Length should I get? 44 1/2 or 45 1/2

jmagri78

Good afternoon,

Just ordered the Sub70 849D driver this afternoon and the only thing I haven't decided on is the length. I know I can cut it down if I want it shorter, but would rather order it the way I'm going to play it. Standard length is 45 1/2, but I'm thinking about ordering it an inch shorter at 44 1/2. I'm currently playing a standard length 45 1/2 driver, if that helps.

Any of you switch from a 45 1/2 to a 44 1/2?

What do you prefer and why?

Thanks

Edited by jmagri78
  • Like 1

• jmagri78 changed the title to Need Help!!! What Driver Length should I get? 44 1/2 or 45 1/2

At 5'11" and assuming your arm and torso length are roughly in proportion with your height, your static measurements would put you in most OEM's "standard" length, loft, and lie. 

Assuming this is true, and taking into account that random club fitting advice from strangers on the internet who've never seen you in person - much less swing a club - then I'm willing to offer this. 

Conventional wisdom says that a shorter driver is easier to control, and as a result, can can help a player achieve more consistent contact out of the center of the face, which in turn, can equal more distance. 

But, with the forgiveness that they continue to build into drivers these days, some folks are willing to go to a longer shaft to generate speed and distance. These folks don't put as much of a premium on center contact, perhaps, or don't struggle with it.

So, I would take an honest look at how you are striking your driver. If you struggle to make center contact, then go with the shorter shaft. If it isn't an issue for you, go with the longer. 

Just for full disclosure, I play my drivers at 44".

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

@jholzThanks man. At a 15 hc, I struggle a little bit with hitting it in the center of the clubface, that's why I'm considering going with a shorter length, for more control. I'm LH'd and my miss is a slice, because I'm trying to go after one and end up coming too far inside. Based on your feedback, think it's a better option for me to go 44 1/2.

• Like 2

I'm pretty tall with SS around 120 and last season I played a 44.5 inch driver for the first time. Not by plan, but was experimenting with different shafts and this one was giving me the best results and just happened to also be the shortest. Ended up being the best driving year for me. Found more fairways, less lost balls, and much less playing from the wrong fairway. Distance wasn't any shorter, maybe longer in some cases as I felt pretty confident to wail away at it when in a groove. Keep in mind I did add some weight to the driver head to compensate for the shorter length. Every so often I'll swing a 45.5 - 46 in. driver (friends club or on the sim at a golf shop) and definitely gain a few mph SS but my big miss becomes more prevalent. 

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.14F - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

Go 45 1/2, and cut it down if you don’t like it.

That. If you choke down and like it better it's easy to make it shorter. If you buy it short you've no way of knowing if it would have worked better if longer.

I struggle a little bit with hitting it in the center of the clubface,

I used to, usually hitting nearly an inch toward the toe. I put a 1/4" white dot on the crown of the head an inch towards the heel from center as my point to line up to the ball. End of problem. It wasn't my shaft length causing the toe hits. I did the same thing with my woods when I had them and my hybrids when I got them, so it was my swing at fault. The same alignment dots fixed it with the other clubs. It's easier to paint dots on the clubs than to change my swing. No problem with my irons, but my iron swing is slightly different.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

I do agree with those saying to start long, see how it goes, then cut down. That is what I did with my current driver. 

But, I would argue that it is equally a pain (or not a pain) to add or subtract an inch or two off of a shaft. Both of them require removing the grip.

I guess it just depends on whether you see cutting a shaft or installing an extension as more of a PITA. For me, the two are about equal. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 hours ago, jholz said:

I would argue that it is equally a pain (or not a pain) to add or subtract an inch or two off of a shaft. Both of them require removing the grip.

True, but you can't choke up on a shaft to see how it would work if it was longer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up speaking to the owner of Sub70 last night and he suggested going with a 45 inch based on my aesthetics, so that's what I'm ordering. If I decide to go shorter, I will have to add weight to the head to make the swing weight correct. I'll start here and see where it takes me.

• Like 1

Just as there's no such thing as a correct shaft length based on anything other than individual in use results there's no such thing as correct swing weight. If it works best it is best, no matter what charts and formulas say.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, jmagri78 said:

@jholzThanks man. At a 15 hc, I struggle a little bit with hitting it in the center of the clubface, that's why I'm considering going with a shorter length, for more control. I'm LH'd and my miss is a slice, because I'm trying to go after one and end up coming too far inside. Based on your feedback, think it's a better option for me to go 44 1/2.

The shorter driver is going to give you better misses, better scores and still go a million miles with that 115ss.  

On 11/30/2021 at 7:38 AM, jmagri78 said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up speaking to the owner of Sub70 last night and he suggested going with a 45 inch based on my aesthetics, so that's what I'm ordering. If I decide to go shorter, I will have to add weight to the head to make the swing weight correct. I'll start here and see where it takes me.

Jason is a good guy! I think 45 will be fine, but it's always worth thinking about...

I highly recommend playing around with your shaft length and weight and seeing what fits you best... Grip down on the club to give a short club a try... toss some lead tape on the balance point to try a heavier shaft... (I think Sub70 clubs have the same adapters as TM, so you can also buy used TM shafts to try different weights and lengths).

I do not get along with any driver shaft under 70 grams. Everything gets worse when I go lighter. Even my swing speed. It doesn't make sense, but I've messed around enough on my own to have actually tested the difference. 

I'm happily playing a 46 inch shaft, but I'm 6'4 and have 3/4 long irons. I've tested a number of different length shafts, and shorter does not actively improve my dispersion... Though I might have to try it again with more weight in the head.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I usually play 45 1/2 as I tried to cut it down years ago but that throws your swing weight off as it's better to just choke down a bit. Everyone of the Pro's who do play anything shorter has their driver so tweaked out as there probably is not one Pro who plays a stock driver that you or I buy of the shelfs. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 10.5 w/Fuji Air Speeder ordered

TaylorMade Stealth 3W w/Ventus Red ordered

TaylorMade Stealth 5W w/Ventus Red ordered

Srixon ZX5 4-PW UST Recoil Smacwrap F3 760/F3

Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52*/58* Dynamic Gold Spinner

Lajosi LP-421 35" with Black shaft and Winn grip

Piretti Potenza Elite/back up putter

Shorter does not mean more accurate and better strikes as a rule. I am 5-8, and hate short, regular lengths and light heads.  I have been playing a 2016 GBB for 5 years with dual sliders and at 46”. I test every year, nothing beats it.  I did just get a TSi3 with 6 grams of melt, and a +4 weight, was standard length, was not working, had a 1” extension put in, so now 46.5” with 10 grams extra weight, missed 1 fairway yesterday, love it

• Like 1

TSi3 RDX black 
Radspeed 3w-RDX black 
Radspeed 5w-RDX black
Radspeed 4h-RDX black

Radspeed 5H-RDX black
T200 6-G PX LZ
MD5 52-56 TI S200
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

2 hours ago, Warrick said:

Shorter does not mean more accurate and better strikes as a rule. I am 5-8, and hate short, regular lengths and light heads.  I have been playing a 2016 GBB for 5 years with dual sliders and at 46”. I test every year, nothing beats it.  I did just get a TSi3 with 6 grams of melt, and a +4 weight, was standard length, was not working, had a 1” extension put in, so now 46.5” with 10 grams extra weight, missed 1 fairway yesterday, love it

Sheesh that thing must be a sledge hammer

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.14F - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

11 minutes ago, BleederFade said:

Sheesh that thing must be a sledge hammer

Yeah, long and heavy, but feel like it helps with tempo. I only weigh 140, longer arc, more mass gets extra distance without over swinging.

TSi3 RDX black 
Radspeed 3w-RDX black 
Radspeed 5w-RDX black
Radspeed 4h-RDX black

Radspeed 5H-RDX black
T200 6-G PX LZ
MD5 52-56 TI S200
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I'm 6'4" and took an inch off my driver. I think it's either 44 or 44.5, have to measure.

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

On 11/29/2021 at 5:08 PM, jmagri78 said:

Are you hitting a slice (ball starts right and curves left) or are you hitting a push fade (ball starts left and curves further left)?  If you're coming from the inside, you're likely hitting a push fade because you're coming inside and the clubface is still open at impact.

• Like 1

With the length of drivers today, I'm always forced to go the lead tape route to replace weight when I get them down to a playable 44 or 44½".

TaylorMade's current 300 Series driver solves all problens for me.

A reasonable 307cc head size (I can't imagine calling a 307cc clubhead a "mini-driver") so I can tee the ball at my preferred low height.

A playable length.

No options, though. 

By the time you get your fairway-metal-matching  shaft and grip on it, you've almost paid for it twice.

Ping G425___1, 5, 7, 9-woods 

Hogan UiHi___3, 4, 5-irons  

Hogan PTx Pro___ 6, 7, 8, 9-irons, PW 

Hogan Equalizer II Texas Grind___50, 54, 58°

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

15 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

If you're coming from the inside, you're likely hitting a push fade because you're coming inside and the clubface is still open at impact.

I do exactly that when I want to be sure of going right, or not going left. With driver I put the ball just off my left heel, which in my case keeps the face just a bit open. If I want to take right out of the equation I move the ball up two inches, to be sure the face is either square or a bit closed. The same technique works with all my clubs, with each being a little further back as I go down the set, until I get down to the wedges. They've got too much loft to respond much to the face angle at impact unless I really open or close it.

• Like 1