2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do Thicker Grips Really Make You Less Handsy Through Impact

CKaneb

I feel like I've seen a lot of remarks about how having thicker grips (especially having a thicker bottom hand than top) prevents you from being so handsy through impact. Bubba Watson is a prime example of this, he is one of the handsiest players on tour and it seems like to combat this he had 11 wraps of tape on his top hand an 13 wraps on his bottom hand. Can anyone attest to this or explain the "science" behind what effect this has on the golf swing? I myself am really handsy through impact and despite a whole summer's worth of lessons and really trying to ingrain the better habits for the better part of 7 months, I still find myself flipping my hands over through impact. Obviously I am still going to work on mechanically changing this part of my swing but if playing super thick grips will make this easier then I will 100% do it (I refuse to play JumboMax Grips though so if I do this it is going to be via the tape route)

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - PW) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50°-12F, 54°-14F, 58°-08M) w/ KBS $-Taper Black PVD 120 S (tipped 3/8") D7

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (41") OR Odyssey White Hot Versa 1 Black (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1), Odyssey Ai-ONE Cruiser 17" OR Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

3 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

It has the potential to reduce the rotation of the club face in your swing.  For some players this helps to minimize a draw/pull/hook. 

Whether a bigger grip actually helps your impact pattern on the face and your shot results, is something you have to test for yourself

what is the reasoning behind why it reduces face rotation

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50°-12F, 54°-14F, 58°-08M) w/ KBS $-Taper Black PVD 120 S (tipped 3/8") D7

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (41") OR Odyssey White Hot Versa 1 Black (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1), Odyssey Ai-ONE Cruiser 17" OR Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

I had the same thing that I struggled with,  the two things that helped me was the impact snap and tour striker training aids. I used these and tried larger grips (I used XS size JumboMax Ultralite) too. I don't think its a given that larger grips will reduce face rotation but for a lot of people it does help. You can always try it on one club and see if it helps. 

Between the 2 training aids and larger grips my swing was much improved (no more flipping). I've since gone down to a mid-size grip however I do play over-size grips in my SW and LW to help keep my hands more passive.

https://impactsnap.com/

https://www.tourstriker.com/product/tour-striker-7-iron/

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

1 hour ago, CUBuffaloes said:

I had the same thing that I struggled with,  the two things that helped me was the impact snap and tour striker training aids. I used these and tried larger grips (I used XS size JumboMax Ultralite) too. I don't think its a given that larger grips will reduce face rotation but for a lot of people it does help. You can always try it on one club and see if it helps. 

Between the 2 training aids and larger grips my swing was much improved (no more flipping). I've since gone down to a mid-size grip however I do play over-size grips in my SW and LW to help keep my hands more passive.

https://impactsnap.com/

https://www.tourstriker.com/product/tour-striker-7-iron/

Going to look into the Impact Snap for sure

Going to JumboMax has reduced my tendency to overcook a draw, but what I like most about them is being able to use less grip pressure, so even if they didn't cut down on the pulled shots I'd still use them. As for using tape to duplicate JumboMax, that much tape would make the shafts too big to fit grips over them.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

Going to JumboMax has reduced my tendency to overcook a draw, but what I like most about them is being able to use less grip pressure, so even if they didn't cut down on the pulled shots I'd still use them. As for using tape to duplicate JumboMax, that much tape would make the shafts too big to fit grips over them.

I don't think I would go as thick as JumboMax but I wanna give the Bubba approach a try if anything

JumboMax comes in various sizes. I went to JM from Winn 1/8" OS. The JumboMax small is 1/8" larger than them.

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, CKaneb said:

The diameter of the grip. The larger size keeps the face from opening and closing as much for some players. Though, if you have a death grip on a standard sized grip and a larger helps relieve tension it could allow the face to rotate/close more easily. So I’d take any statements on grips/size as anecdotal and test for yourself. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I am on the line between standard and midsize. I have gone with midsize for several years because it takes up extra slack from hands.

With standards, I tend to be fidgety with hands at set-up and spray ball more left and right.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

3 hours ago, CKaneb said:

The reasoning is based on the fact that the greater that diameter of the grip, the greater the "distance" it has to travel (rotate). If you made a grip the diameter of a baseball bat barrel then the amount your hands could physically rotate the grip would be noticeably less than a conventional grip. 

Whether or not the obviously smaller size differences between otherwise conventional golf grips is enough the exploit this is questionable. The science says that will, but there are other variables in the golf swing that could easily override this. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 hours ago, CKaneb said:

I feel like I've seen a lot of remarks about how having thicker grips (especially having a thicker bottom hand than top) prevents you from being so handsy through impact. Bubba Watson is a prime example of this, he is one of the handsiest players on tour and it seems like to combat this he had 11 wraps of tape on his top hand an 13 wraps on his bottom hand. Can anyone attest to this or explain the "science" behind what effect this has on the golf swing? I myself am really handsy through impact and despite a whole summer's worth of lessons and really trying to ingrain the better habits for the better part of 7 months, I still find myself flipping my hands over through impact. Obviously I am still going to work on mechanically changing this part of my swing but if playing super thick grips will make this easier then I will 100% do it (I refuse to play JumboMax Grips though so if I do this it is going to be via the tape route)

YES it works, thats why i made asymmetrical BU before the +4 grips came to the market.
A grip to small for the lowest hand, causes a variable face angle at impact
A grip where the size is good for the player reduce this variable to a minimum

• Like 3

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

5 hours ago, CKaneb said:

In theory yes, but my guess is that Bubba has long fingers and prefers to have bigger grips so that the club feels more stable in his hands. He is also likely bottom hand dominant and thus he wants more grip in his bottom hand, whereas a player like Vijay, who is obviously top hand dominant, doesn't need the bottom hand built out as he barely has a hold of the club with his bottom hand at impact.  Bubba would likely easily be able to transition to the Jumbomaxx non taper grips as this is basically what his current grips with all of the extra wraps mimic.  

In theory a thicker diameter grip will reduce the closure rate of the club but as others have said it can be easily overridden by stalling the body which is exactly what Bubba often does creating varying degrees of closure rate of the club, though the downside is that it will breed inconsistency as a side effect.  I love Jumbomaxx non taper grips first and foremost because they fit in my hands better because they are bigger which creates more stability through the strike.  Second because I am bottom hand dominant and thus I want as much purchase on the grip as possible and the non taper grips provide that. Technically the thicker grip will make you less " handsy" but it all depends on how your body reacts to this reduction in rotation and reacts to your ball flight.  By that I mean if your closure rate is reduced and you begin to hit the ball left of your intended target line (right handed golfer) you  will do one of two things. Either you will recalibrate your aim and put that shot on target (which I would suggest), or your will begin to stall the body to increase your closure rate to try to and square up the club face ( what Bubba does that will breed inconsistency).  Since I knew I was levering the ball all I did was recalibrate my aim. This did put me through an adjustment phase but that was to be expected and over time I adapted. 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

The reasoning is based on the fact that the greater that diameter of the grip, the greater the "distance" it has to travel (rotate). If you made a grip the diameter of a baseball bat barrel then the amount your hands could physically rotate the grip would be noticeably less than a conventional grip. 

Whether or not the obviously smaller size differences between otherwise conventional golf grips is enough the exploit this is questionable. The science says that will, but there are other variables in the golf swing that could easily override this. 

I don't think that the size of the grip has anything to do with how far it can be physically rotated by the hands?  For instance I can rotate a basketball the same amount that I can rotate a golf grip.  The rotation will be slower though which is possibly what you are getting at?

I certainly can't respond to the science of why it works. But a midsize +4 grip for me allows to grip to be more in my palms. 

No need for a white knuckle grip on the club. For me it relieved grip pressure which allowed me to have a much more fluid, relaxed swing. The result was far straighter flight. It's a cheap experiment to regrip one of a few clubs in variations. 

3 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I don't think that the size of the grip has anything to do with how far it can be physically rotated by the hands?  For instance I can rotate a basketball the same amount that I can rotate a golf grip.  The rotation will be slower though which is possibly what you are getting at?

Your correct, it doesn't.  Within the scope of what one will encounter for grips size changes in golf, there is no basis in either physics or biomechanics of the hands/wrist for the larger grip size having any direct effect to reduce the ability to rotate the club.   In fact, if anything it would be the opposite since the bigger diameter would (in theory) allow for more torque to be applied by the hands when rotating due to the slightly bigger moment arm providing more control to the player.

Any and all effects that the grip size has on the club control all comes down to:

1) the effect the size might have on how secure the grip feels in the hands - and therefore the amount of excess tension in the hands and forearms.

2) The effect the size might have how the person takes their grip and how the hands might be positioned on the grip and at setup.

Both are completely subjective and is exactly why you see widely inconsistent results among different players when going to larger grips.  For some it will help for others it will not.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

I have been using the Jumbomax Ultralight XL grips now for almost 2 years and love them. I switched originally when I went to the DeChambeau 1-plane swing and hold the club in the palms of my hand. FOR ME it ( along with the swing change ) was a game changer. Much more consistent and even picked up 5 - 10 yards while at the same time increasing my dispersion.

Obviously from reading all the post above this is a subjective topic and definitely related to ones personal experience. However with that being said.

Think about it. In no other sport where you hold the apparatus in your hand do you use a skinny grip. Not Tennis, Raquetball, Ping Pong, Baseball / Softball, Hockey, Badminton or whatever. 

Just don't see the reasoning for the standard golf grip. Even if I were to go back ( which will never happen ) to the conventional 2-plane swing I will never change my grip size.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

3 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

I have been using the Jumbomax Ultralight XL grips now for almost 2 years and love them. I switched originally when I went to the DeChambeau 1-plane swing and hold the club in the palms of my hand. FOR ME it ( along with the swing change ) was a game changer. Much more consistent and even picked up 5 - 10 yards while at the same time increasing my dispersion.

Obviously from reading all the post above this is a subjective topic and definitely related to ones personal experience. However with that being said.

Think about it. In no other sport where you hold the apparatus in your hand do you use a skinny grip. Not Tennis, Raquetball, Ping Pong, Baseball / Softball, Hockey, Badminton or whatever. 

Just don't see the reasoning for the standard golf grip. Even if I were to go back ( which will never happen ) to the conventional 2-plane swing I will never change my grip size.

Evidence based video and other tech has debunked so many of the old wives tales of golf equipment.

Why is a standard grip the 'standard' size? Leather strip wrapped around a hickory shaft back in c.1920?

Why is a putter standard 35"? Fits a typical golf bag best?

?

So much old rubbish being eliminated as fact.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I don't think that the size of the grip has anything to do with how far it can be physically rotated by the hands? 

Perhaps not, but for me it's the lighter grip pressure that's most beneficial. Less pressure allows a more relaxed feeling in my wrists, which makes it easier to get a full wrist c0ck for maximum swing speed. I can't get my left arm even close to vertical anymore, but the lower grip pressure means I can still get the shaft to parallel. Less tension also reduces my tendency to bend my left arm while taking too long a backswing, which in my case is part of what can turn a draw into a yank.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

3 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Think about it. In no other sport where you hold the apparatus in your hand do you use a skinny grip.

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post.   But just as a little piece of trivia, there is at least one sport where it's even skinnier - Fencing.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart_G said:

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post.   But just as a little piece of trivia, there is at least one sport where it's even skinnier - Fencing.

Well in fencing you're not trying to hit anything. Basically just sticking or jabbing someone. 

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

1 hour ago, SEP1006 said:

Well in fencing you're not trying to hit anything. Basically just sticking or jabbing someone. 

In fencing, the only thing that matters is the ability to hit something - or someone.

It's still all about optimizing control of the ability to move and manipulate the equipment to get it to do what you want.  The only difference is in fencing, the equipment is significantly lighter and the emphasis is on quickness (multi-dimensional acceleration) and reaction time - instead of (single dimensional) power.

Edited by Stuart_G

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Darts!

Golf is golf, it is not tennis or baseball or fencing for that matter!  Hmmm, not cricket or any kind of football either!  Or hammering a nail!  I have heard all of those sports / movements compared to the golf swing in some instruction or another over the years!  Never fencing and darts though...  I think that we need a new branch of golf instruction based on fencing and darts!  Hmmmm, 'One precise thrust' perhaps?

Oh wait what about billiards?  

• Haha 2

Currently I am using Jumbomax ultralight extra small on my clubs.  LOL over the years I have tried pretty much every grip and size possible.  I have played a lot with Jumbomax extra large and I have also built up grips to even larger size using various methods.  I seem to have found the sweet spot with the ultralight extra small grips.  The size seems perfect for my skinny hands and I really like the light weight, I believe that the clubhead feel is better during the swing for me.  

I can say that the grip size does not seem to effect my ball flight much and I can snap hook with any size grip, it is more a matter of comfort for me I think.  

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but a little different train of thought.  At least five years back I came upon the superstroke slim 3.0 for my putter.  Before with the everyday average grip on the putter, I was pushing & pulling enough putts to try out the superstroke grips.  I could notice a definite improvement with the slim 1.0 & finally settled on the 3.0.  Now if I happen to pull or push a putt, it was just due to me not focusing enough on the stroke.  I have always thought one of the major reasons for the improvement was the non-taper of the grip.  Now that the golf season is over for the year & have time to think about it....debating on trying the non-taper grips with all the other clubs.  I don't want to put out the money that the Jumbomax cost.  So, I am wondering about the mid-size non-taper Grip One's that are available on GolfWorks for about 3 bucks a grip to experiment with?