myrtle beach in April - course recommendations

golfnutzzz

Hi folks, we need some help picking some courses end of April, we will be staying central MB for 6 days, 5 rounds

out of the 5 rounds we want to do 2 splurge rounds, out of these three which two would you recommend True blue, Kings North or Bare foot Dye

on the 3 remaining rounds we have narrowed down to : Arrowhead. Prestwick , Willbrook, Wild Wing, Shaftbury Glen, Pawleys, River Club, Long Leaf

there is 8 of us and all pretty low to mid handicaps and we do not  mind driving.  any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much.

True Blue for the and Barefoot Dye for the splurge rounds. Shaftbury Glen, Prestwick, and Pawleys (if in good shape) for the remaining 3.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Caledonia for your splurge round- better than the 3 you list.

Grande Dunes Resort Course is centrally located.

Don't think Long Leaf is near Myrtle Beach?

Edited by Itsjustagame

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5/6 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58
Stroke Lab R Ball Slant

13 hours ago, golfnutzzz said:

Hi folks, we need some help picking some courses end of April, we will be staying central MB for 6 days, 5 rounds

out of the 5 rounds we want to do 2 splurge rounds, out of these three which two would you recommend True blue, Kings North or Bare foot Dye

on the 3 remaining rounds we have narrowed down to : Arrowhead. Prestwick , Willbrook, Wild Wing, Shaftbury Glen, Pawleys, River Club, Long Leaf

there is 8 of us and all pretty low to mid handicaps and we do not  mind driving.  any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much.

True Blue and Dye.

Prestwick, Willbrook and Wild Wing Avocet.

3 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

Caledonia for your splurge round- better than the 3 you list.

I am going to push back on this a little bit and say that Caledonia is a great looking golf course but is mega tight in certain areas. I found True Blue to be much more open and, for me, more fun than Caledonia. Having just played Harbour Town, I see some similarities between HT and Caledonia in that you have to be very careful off the tee to avoid being blocked out even if you are well within the fairway. 

Not taking anything away from Caledonia's vibe/atmosphere which is excellent. I just found True Blue to be a bolder design that allowed the use of driver quite a bit more. I think if you are a low handicap that likes being tested on shotmaking on repeat, you would love that aspect of Caledonia. For us mere mortals, it is nice to have a 50+ yd wide landing area every now and then. 

Caledonia and True Blue both designed by Mike Strantz. Both good courses. Would play either of them before Pawleys.

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5/6 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58
Stroke Lab R Ball Slant

Myrtle Beach has a new tee time system with aggressive dynamic price 
increases, as tee times are booked, mainly on the premium courses.  
I suggest getting the golf prices, to see what your splurge is.  
It also depends on dates and time of day and week.  April 21 starts the highest. 

I really like Kings North, but True Blue + BF Dye will look more like private 
courses to a new group. 

For the other 3, I suggest:   Willbrook, Arrowhead, Prestwick all 3 with
good conditions.    The least interesting is Shaft Glen.   Pawleys conditions 
are inconsistent.       

1 hour ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Myrtle Beach has a new tee time system with aggressive dynamic price 
increases, as tee times are booked, mainly on the premium courses.  
I suggest getting the golf prices, to see what your splurge is.  
It also depends on dates and time of day and week.  April 21 starts the highest. 

I really like Kings North, but True Blue + BF Dye will look more like private 
courses to a new group. 

For the other 3, I suggest:   Willbrook, Arrowhead, Prestwick all 3 with
good conditions.    The least interesting is Shaft Glen.   Pawleys conditions 
are inconsistent.       

Is there are of these that are ridiculously hard.  We like a challenge but don’t want to get killed.  

All are reasonable if playing the correct tees.  MB is at sea level, so the ball 
probably won't go as far as where you live. 
BF Dye is challenging with Dye stuff.  
True Blue is open off the tee, challenge to hit greens.  
Kings North can be more fun, because it doesn't look/feel hard, 
unless you are missing doable shots it in the water.  

On the other 3 courses, Prestwick is the most challenging hitting and 
putting the greens.  

I think the courses you have a pretty much close in terms of quality and being enjoyable to play.  It's likely going to come down to how much you're willing to drive and the course conditions (particularly of the non-splurge courses).

As already mentioned, Caledonia would be a better splurge option than True Blue.  You could play both Caledonia and True Blue and get a pretty good deal since they are sister courses right across the street from each other.

I prefer Caledonia well over True Blue, but I will say that most golfers I know are impressed with the beauty of True Blue...much more over Kings North or BF Dye.

So, if I were you, I would consider these two options that would cut down on driving time and give a good experience.

Option #1 (True Blue & Caledonia)

Caledonia

True Blue

Prestwick

Wild Wing

Long Bay

Option #2 (only True Blue)

True Blue

Kings North

Prestwick

Wild Wing

Long Bay

Pawleys isn't bad, but vastly overrated.  Willbrook is more underrated.  The others are usually solid courses rated appropriately.

RH

On 11/30/2021 at 9:08 PM, golfnutzzz said:

Is there are of these that are ridiculously hard.  We like a challenge but don’t want to get killed.

As long as you don't play too far back, True Blue is pretty gettable with the closing stretch being the hardest. I found Caledonia to be harder because of the narrowness of the fairways and the fact that a number of holes if you are even on the wrong 1/2 of a rather tight fairway you are still blocked out. 

On 12/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, charli said:

I just booked true blue Caledonia tidewater and dunes for April. 

Caledonia, Tidewater and Dunes Club are easily in the top-5 in Myrtle beach.  I'm not as big of a fan of True Blue as most, but given it's convenience to Caledonia and the deals they give, this is a super booking.  Enjoy!

RH

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:57 PM, golfnutzzz said:

Thanks guys. 

we setttled on

true blue

Barefoot dye

king north

willbrook

wild wing. 

I think you'll be happy.  Willbrook is very underrated.  Wild Wing used to have four 18 hole courses, but then tney shut down 3 of the courses, built residential property over them and just kept the Avocet course.  I always though the Avocet was good, but way overrated.  I actually preferred a couple of the other courses they got rid of more.  

I remember in the spring we would get wind for a few days and Wild Wing would mow their greens pretty tight and the stimps would get to 15.  Talk about a hard course!

RH

2 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

Caledonia, Tidewater and Dunes Club are easily in the top-5 in Myrtle beach.  I'm not as big of a fan of True Blue as most, but given it's convenience to Caledonia and the deals they give, this is a super booking.  Enjoy!

RH

Yeah it’s my first year going. These were all recommendations. I’m excited and will hopefully expand the following year. But had to check this place off the list

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ChuckZ1956 said:

Is Surf Golf and Beach Club open for public play? How does it compare to Caledonia, True Blue, Tidewater, Dunes, etc.?

Surf Club was open to limited package play, but stopped package play when 
Covid started.    Talk is the private clubs have been adding members, from all 
the golfers moving to MB, so public play may not return.  

Surf Club is a old style traditional course, know for good conditions.  
It's more like The Dunes or Pine Lakes than the modern courses.   

I see The Dunes still has some package tee times in spring 2022, which are 
mostly Mon-Wed and now hitting $300 in peak spring season.   

Surf Club is more traditional and designed for membership which it has.  Just an FYI - I think the membership initiation is $10K and you have to be invited to become a member.  You can ask about Vanna White there 🙂

Anyway it was designed so locals could play without worrying about the pain of public golf and it usually keeps the course in really good condition because of less traffic.

The Dunes Golf and Beach Club is also private and by invitation only.  It is a Robert Trent Jones design.  IMO, it's a better design and usually in much better shape.  Even though it's right next to the beach and called 'Beach Club' it's a parkland design.  There is some water that comes into play, but nothing crazy.

Caledonia is designed for the mass public, but it's not like your typical resort course that is wide open.  It plays about 6,600 yards and is kinda tight on some holes, but it's a parkland style with that 'Augusta type' flair where if you miss the fairway badly you'll likely in woods with pinestraw where you can go and find the ball and hit it again.  To me, it's one of the best designs I've ever played.  I worked there for a year back in the 90's and would frequently get people tell me that they played Pebble Beach and they actually preferred Caledonia over it because Pebble Beach had the famous golf holes, but nothing in between it whereas outside #1 and #9, every hole at Caledonia was strong.  I really liked Caledonia's par-3's #3, #6 and #11 because the green designs and pin locations greatly alter the way the hole plays.

True Blue was designed by the same designer of Caledonia, Mike Strantz.  Strantz was kinda the Jackson Pollock of designers.  Pollock once said that in order to effectively break all of the rules, you have to master them first.  Most people don't know that before Pollock got into drip art, he was a highly skilled contemporary artist.  It wasn't until he felt he masted contemporary art that he felt he could 'break all of the rules' and get into drip art.

Strantz had a similar philosophy.  His first creation was Caledonia where he followed all of the rules and established himself as world class designer.  After that though, he basically broke all of the rules with True Blue, Tot Hill Farm, Tobacco Road, etc.

They did 'soften up' True Blue over time to not make it so ridiculously difficult as the original design.  It's more of a design you may see in say Australia, although the area surrounding is marshland instead of ocean.  Depending on your tastes, you may prefer the sight lines of True Blue over Caledonia, but you'll prefer Caledonia's routing.  Both are usually in great condition, but Caledonia is usually the better conditioned of the two.

Tidewater is a great design that, in some senses, reminds me of a hybrid of Caledonia and True Blue.  The routing is more Caledonia, but the sightlines and the marshland is more True Blue.  The problem with Tidewater has always been its conditioning.  I haven't played there in 20 years, but at times the conditions could be fairly poor or you would get 14 holes in great condition with 4 greens undergoing repair and 4-5 brutal looking tee boxes.  But I've played it at times when the conditions were quite good.

For that, design wise I'd rank them:

1.  Caledonia

2.  Tidewater

3.  Dunes Club

4.  True Blue

5.  Surf Club

Condition wise I'd go:

1.  Dunes Club

2.  Caledonia

3.  Surf Club

4.  True Blue

5.  Tidewater

Overall I'd go:

1.  Dunes Club

2. Caledonia

3.  Tidewater

4.  Surf Club

5.  True Blue

RH

On 12/4/2021 at 9:57 PM, golfnutzzz said:

Thanks guys. 

we setttled on

true blue

Barefoot dye

king north

willbrook

wild wing. 

ThAts good stuff. Not sure if your flying or driving. We’re road tripping down. Also booked Tobacco Road on our way back. Also interested in kings north that was on my list keep me posted how that course is 

On 1/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, RichieHunt said:

Surf Club is more traditional and designed for membership which it has.  Just an FYI - I think the membership initiation is $10K and you have to be invited to become a member.  You can ask about Vanna White there 🙂

Anyway it was designed so locals could play without worrying about the pain of public golf and it usually keeps the course in really good condition because of less traffic.

The Dunes Golf and Beach Club is also private and by invitation only.  It is a Robert Trent Jones design.  IMO, it's a better design and usually in much better shape.  Even though it's right next to the beach and called 'Beach Club' it's a parkland design.  There is some water that comes into play, but nothing crazy.

Caledonia is designed for the mass public, but it's not like your typical resort course that is wide open.  It plays about 6,600 yards and is kinda tight on some holes, but it's a parkland style with that 'Augusta type' flair where if you miss the fairway badly you'll likely in woods with pinestraw where you can go and find the ball and hit it again.  To me, it's one of the best designs I've ever played.  I worked there for a year back in the 90's and would frequently get people tell me that they played Pebble Beach and they actually preferred Caledonia over it because Pebble Beach had the famous golf holes, but nothing in between it whereas outside #1 and #9, every hole at Caledonia was strong.  I really liked Caledonia's par-3's #3, #6 and #11 because the green designs and pin locations greatly alter the way the hole plays.

True Blue was designed by the same designer of Caledonia, Mike Strantz.  Strantz was kinda the Jackson Pollock of designers.  Pollock once said that in order to effectively break all of the rules, you have to master them first.  Most people don't know that before Pollock got into drip art, he was a highly skilled contemporary artist.  It wasn't until he felt he masted contemporary art that he felt he could 'break all of the rules' and get into drip art.

Strantz had a similar philosophy.  His first creation was Caledonia where he followed all of the rules and established himself as world class designer.  After that though, he basically broke all of the rules with True Blue, Tot Hill Farm, Tobacco Road, etc.

They did 'soften up' True Blue over time to not make it so ridiculously difficult as the original design.  It's more of a design you may see in say Australia, although the area surrounding is marshland instead of ocean.  Depending on your tastes, you may prefer the sight lines of True Blue over Caledonia, but you'll prefer Caledonia's routing.  Both are usually in great condition, but Caledonia is usually the better conditioned of the two.

Tidewater is a great design that, in some senses, reminds me of a hybrid of Caledonia and True Blue.  The routing is more Caledonia, but the sightlines and the marshland is more True Blue.  The problem with Tidewater has always been its conditioning.  I haven't played there in 20 years, but at times the conditions could be fairly poor or you would get 14 holes in great condition with 4 greens undergoing repair and 4-5 brutal looking tee boxes.  But I've played it at times when the conditions were quite good.

For that, design wise I'd rank them:

1.  Caledonia

2.  Tidewater

3.  Dunes Club

4.  True Blue

5.  Surf Club

Condition wise I'd go:

1.  Dunes Club

2.  Caledonia

3.  Surf Club

4.  True Blue

5.  Tidewater

Overall I'd go:

1.  Dunes Club

2. Caledonia

3.  Tidewater

4.  Surf Club

5.  True Blue

RH

Anyone looking to play the best courses in the MB area just read this post. This is spot on. The Dunes Club is one of my favorite courses of all time. Caledonia is stunning and TB is diabolical. 
They are always in great shape. 

• Like 1

I just booked a trip for me and a friend to Barefoot for the last week of March, four nights in a two-bedroom villa and a round on all four courses, plus free breakfast daily, for $875 per person. It actually would have been $715 had I booked in November when I first looked into it -- whoever mentioned earlier about the new dynamic pricing is right. But even at $875 it sounded like a pretty good deal for spring break/near peak season.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, RichieHunt said:

is kinda tight on some holes,

I mean, Caledonia is a mega tight, in my opinion. I played Harbour Town and Caledonia both this past year and I would say the landing zones are close to the same on most holes. If you have more than 30 yds dispersion on your driver (many people do), you are going to struggle out there. No doubt @RichieHunt knows much more about those courses than I do and gave a very detailed lay of the land out there but I want to speak for the common man here. I have no doubt there are tighter courses that HT and Caledonia but I don't think I would want to play them on vacation (or really ever). OP said they had some mid handicaps which I think would get ejected at Caledonia. 

5 hours ago, jschwarb said:

I just booked a trip for me and a friend to Barefoot for the last week of March, four nights in a two-bedroom villa and a round on all four courses, plus free breakfast daily, for $875 per person. It actually would have been $715 had I booked in November when I first looked into it -- whoever mentioned earlier about the new dynamic pricing is right. But even at $875 it sounded like a pretty good deal for spring break/near peak season.

The MB dynamic pricing is more aggressive in 2022.  I wonder if they could lose 
business as later booking groups might not book or they might skip the premium 
courses that have the most aggressive dynamic pricing.   I  have noticed rates 
going up considerable amounts without some courses being busy.     

2 hours ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

I mean, Caledonia is a mega tight, in my opinion.  I have no doubt there are tighter courses that HT and Caledonia but I don't think I would want to play them on vacation (or really ever). 

I like the previous description that Caledonia is "kinda tight on some holes". 
Some of the tighter holes are not driver holes for decent golfers.   

Some high handicaps are avid golfers and would enjoy a premium course, as 
long as not getting mad at a high score.   Group leaders have to consider  
their group's criteria and abilities, besides the course price.     

3 hours ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

I mean, Caledonia is a mega tight, in my opinion. I played Harbour Town and Caledonia both this past year and I would say the landing zones are close to the same on most holes. If you have more than 30 yds dispersion on your driver (many people do), you are going to struggle out there. No doubt @RichieHunt knows much more about those courses than I do and gave a very detailed lay of the land out there but I want to speak for the common man here. I have no doubt there are tighter courses that HT and Caledonia but I don't think I would want to play them on vacation (or really ever). OP said they had some mid handicaps which I think would get ejected at Caledonia. 

You have to understand that I was a member the last 3 years at Orange Tree GC in Orlando.  Makes Caledonia look like you're hitting into the great abyss.

RH

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, RichieHunt said:

RH

Last trip I took I played exactly this trio.  Caledonia, then Dunes Club, then Tidewater.  I play the Dunes Club each time I go to MB.  Great old school track and the people host you extremely well.

• Like 1