Early Mickelson driver

mat562

A long shot, but does anyone have a clue what this early (late 80s/early 90s) persimmon driver of Phil Mickelson's may be?

I was going through some old photos and found this one I took a year or two back in the WGHOF in St Augustine. I suspect it may be something knocked up by a low-volume custom maker, possibly SoCal-based, but any info from someone with a greater knowledge than mine would be appreciated.

The photo's a bit ropey, but it's an iPhone through glass and about as good as can be had without putting my size 12 through the pane.

No photo description available.

Edited by mat562

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokey SM5s, an Eye 2 Gorge L wedge and an Anser 2

• mat562 changed the title to Early Mickelson driver

The bottom script looks like it says San Diego.  Hmm.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Is it Precision Golf? They were producing clubs out of San Diego in that time frame, if memory serves.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I can’t really tell. I think it says …..BROS and limited edition. It doesn’t look like anything wood bros made and they are out of Texas. I’m guessing a San Diego clubmaker from that time. 

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

Got to be a Wood Bros. Mickelson has some history with them and has been quoted a few times saying he used to play Wood Bros. Quote from Dave Wood below as well:

"I drove from Humble, Texas to Tucson, Arizona to hand deliver Phil Mickelson his Wood Bros Texan driver to help him win the Northern Telecom Open for his first PGA Tour victory while he was still 20 years old at Arizona State University."

• Like 1

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Srixon 585 5-6, Z785 7-PW Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Could be it definitely looks like it says BROS in red lettering. They made a great driver

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

I don't know man, the San Diego, sole plate, and heel medallion are all screaming Precision Golf to me. I'm no expert, however.

or
or

2 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Got to be a Wood Bros. Mickelson has some history with them and has been quoted a few times saying he used to play Wood Bros. Quote from Dave Wood below as well:

"I drove from Humble, Texas to Tucson, Arizona to hand deliver Phil Mickelson his Wood Bros Texan driver to help him win the Northern Telecom Open for his first PGA Tour victory while he was still 20 years old at Arizona State University."

I would guess Wood Brothers.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gw20080321johnson/amp

6767E0EB-DFD2-4D9F-83A9-EA7284CFEEF4.png.021e8f14b7b601d7473a42a98b7f5b49.png

1 hour ago, Lord Viking said:

i'm sure that phil will be along shortly to clarify...

Well... 

we're waiting...

The 40 Best Moments from CADDYSHACK at 40 - Nerdist

If this isn't resolved soon, I'm not sure I will sleep tonight. 

• Like 1

or
or

The driver is Bentrum Bros from the Club Shoppe in San Diego, verified by the maker Jerry Bentrum. I have a right handed W/B/W insert 6 Screw driver and it is stunning, I can get it out of my club storage and put pics up tomorrow. Another Bentrum Bros was used by Scott Simpson when he won the 1987 US Open at Olympic in San Francisco, viva California 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not totally relevant but given this thread likely attracts Phil fans…

One of my friends works for KPMG in New York.  When I visited him a few years ago, one of the partners had a miniature Callaway bag on his desk.  In it was a set of different miniature clubs that Phil had used.  The driver from one year of their sponsorship, iron from another, putter from another and so on.  It was a pretty cool desk ornament and I was very jealous!!  Cannot remember which driver was in it but I think the 3 wood was the X Hot.

Callaway Mavrik Max Driver
Cobra Speedzone fairway
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Callaway 56 and 60 PM grind 2.0
PXG Operator putter

Callaway Chrome Soft balls