PXG iron shaft questions

Byrdman2230

I was recently fit for some Gen 3 0311 P irons with MMT 80 stiff shafts +1/2 inch length. After spending some time at the range, I don’t know if these shafts are for me. They are definitely lighter weight and this was particularly noticeable in the short irons and wedges. Also, my dispersion is off which bothers me. I don’t care about distance with irons. I want consistency and control. 

I’m coming from Ping i25 irons with CFS stiff shafts playing off of a 38’’ 5 iron. I’ve played these since they were released and they are really the only irons I’ve ever played. My game has improved recently, so I thought it would be good to get fit, which led to the above 0311 P irons. 

Over the past few days I’ve taken a crash course in iron shafts and I’m looking for some advice. A little about me: driver swing speed 100-103 mph, 7 iron distance is ~ 155 yds with a very smooth tempo. 

I like the smooth feel of the MMT shaft, but I think the weight may be throwing me off. I’ve considered trying the MMT 90 stiff shaft, but wonder if it would make much of a difference. Would a constant weight shaft help?  It looks like Nippon makes an NS pro modus3 105 .370 that is constant weight, which has me interested. 

If I have the MMT 80s pulled and install a heavier shaft (95-105 grams) I know that static weight will increase, but will it significantly alter swing weight or other playing characteristics?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CFS stiff shafts come in at around 110 grams that’s a big difference to thee MMT 80s in weight. The Modus 105 would be a good option for you, or the TT Elevate Pro.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S 
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15*(16*)Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21*(20*)Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*)Tensei Red R
  • Irons - PXG 0311P gen3 6-PW Steelfiber 70 R
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 35.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash 

CFS is descending weight, similar to a .370 shaft.  110 grams in the 4 irons and 100 in the PW.  The Elevate Tour may be a reasonably close match to those.  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Mizuno JPX 929 Hot Metal w/Nippon 950S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"