Jump to content

Shaft length difference in a 3 wood with a bonded hosel vs adjustable loft sleeve


layts14
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am about to purchase a used GD AD-HD 3 wood shaft with a TM adapter on it and will either be swapping the adapter to play in my Radspeed 3W or may throw it into an Epic Max/Speed fairway. 

 

I am wondering if there is a considerable difference in shaft length for a 3 wood with a bonded hosel (Epic Max/Speed fairways) vs adjustable loft sleeve (TM/Cobra/Titleist). Will the shaft with the TM adapter on it be shorter than required for a standard length Epic Max/Speed 3 wood?

Epic Max LS 9*, GD ADDI 6x | Radspeed 3W 15.5* GD ADIZ 7s | Titleist TSi2 7W 20.25* RDX Black 80g 6.0

G425 [email protected] 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | AP2 714 5-PW, DG S300 | SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, layts14 said:

I am about to purchase a used GD AD-HD 3 wood shaft with a TM adapter on it and will either be swapping the adapter to play in my Radspeed 3W or may throw it into an Epic Max/Speed fairway. 

 

I am wondering if there is a considerable difference in shaft length for a 3 wood with a bonded hosel (Epic Max/Speed fairways) vs adjustable loft sleeve (TM/Cobra/Titleist). Will the shaft with the TM adapter on it be shorter than required for a standard length Epic Max/Speed 3 wood?

 

There can be variations - but there is nothing you can generalize about it just based on whether it uses an adapter or is bonded.   The differences come from other aspects of the head design so you have to get info (specifically BBGM) of the specific heads you're switching out.

 

The good news is  that the fairway BBGM's don't vary nearly as much as it does in the driver heads.   Most fw heads that I've run across (not counting some old bore through designs) have a BBGM that's typically pretty close to 1.25" +/- 1/4".   Now whether that's considerable to you or not I can't say.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for me, 1/4" is tolerable so I will not worry about the potential length difference. time to search for some BBGM info. thanks @Stuart_G

Epic Max LS 9*, GD ADDI 6x | Radspeed 3W 15.5* GD ADIZ 7s | Titleist TSi2 7W 20.25* RDX Black 80g 6.0

G425 [email protected] 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | AP2 714 5-PW, DG S300 | SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, layts14 said:

for me, 1/4" is tolerable so I will not worry about the potential length difference. time to search for some BBGM info. thanks @Stuart_G

 

No really publishes it and most builders don't bother measuring it so it's not a lot out there, especially for fairways.  FY BBGM - stands for Bottom Bore to Ground Measurement.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, layts14 said:

for me, 1/4" is tolerable so I will not worry about the potential length difference. time to search for some BBGM info. thanks @Stuart_G


BBGM is about the hardest specs of all to find, but here is what you can do.
If you have the shaft with connector, INSERT is most likely 1.25" so simply measure from the end of the grip to the hosel top / bottom of the ferrule, and add 1.25" and you should have a fair estimate of the actual shafts length.

BBGM is net difference between play length and net shaft, and if you measure it with a ruler, its trough the center of the shaft, NOT the heel. A Mitchell ruler is designed to measure BBGM correct, so what ever the head adds to net shaft is BBGM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

49 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

BBGM is about the hardest specs of all to find, but here is what you can do.

Ain't that the truth. Not sure why OEMs don't that info available. I bet the WRX community could come up with a pretty comprehensive database of BBGM measurements.

 

Appreciate the suggestion @Howard_Jones !

Epic Max LS 9*, GD ADDI 6x | Radspeed 3W 15.5* GD ADIZ 7s | Titleist TSi2 7W 20.25* RDX Black 80g 6.0

G425 [email protected] 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | AP2 714 5-PW, DG S300 | SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, layts14 said:

 

Ain't that the truth. Not sure why OEMs don't that info available. I bet the WRX community could come up with a pretty comprehensive database of BBGM measurements.

 

Appreciate the suggestion @Howard_Jones !


Thats been tried, but it seems like those who have this specs and could add them, did not see that post with request for BBGM specs when it was asked for. Another issue is how its measured. Like i said it has to be trough the center of the shaft, NOT at the heel, since its a strait line down from the shaft tip to ground this measurement is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No big difference, except buying a used shaft, make sure if it was tipped, and how much before sleeve install.   Regardless of sleeve or no sleeve, typically 3 woods are 43" playing length.  That's the playing length of my 4wd, and its shaft was tipped 1/2" before sleeve install.

  • Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW MMT 125
  • SM6 F-52/8 MMT 125
  • SM6 M-58/8 MMT 125
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...