Worst partner ever-what is your story?

OK, so I will start. Last weekend, I show up to my tee time and a group is teeing off in the TT before us.  They are doubles (father and son), our pairing hasn't shown yet, and so the marshal says "why don't you just join them".  Ok, so I let the guy who just teed off know that we would be playing with them; he immediately barks at me "WHY?".  Well, the marshal asked us to!  Why else.

Anyways, 1st hole, very uneventful except (hadn't met the people yet though, it was pretty obvious they wanted to play solo) but boy, they are playing slow.  The kid announces he is "going to set the course record today" and they start playing like it is Sunday Masters, despite each taking a penalty on the first hole and the kid a penalty on the 2nd.  Spending several minutes on the 1st hole lining up putts, walking out to the ball to take a measurement, then back to the cart to get clubs....it was the antithesis of ready golf.  By the 2nd green, we had 2 groups stacking behind us. By the third green, the group in front of us (3-some) was already midway down hole 5.  As we were teeing off on 4, the group behind us finished hole 3 and was parked right behind us on tee 4-it took us probably 8 minutes just to hit a tee shot.  My playing partners acted like they were the only people in the world.  

Anyways, at the end of hole 4, I told the father son combo that my partner and I would go on ahead to keep pace up-we were falling behind and 2 groups of 2 can play faster than one group of 4.  The guy came unglued and started dropping F-bombs on me.  He was screaming "so, we aren't fast enough for you?  F-you!  I politely told him that I thought we could play faster as 2 and 2, nothing about him (although his ridiculous pace already had us 15 minutes behind scheduled pace after 4 holes and we had to finish a 4:20 round if we wanted to be off at dark-we were at nearly 6 hour pace by then). Plus, the people behind us weren't appreciative of waiting and waiting.  They deserve to get their round in as well.

Anyways, 3 holes later, they start playing quicker (probably just to show us up) and start screaming at us, yelling crap about them "not being good enough to play with us-why don't you show us how it's done". They hit into us multiple times (by then, we had gotten back to the group in front and were on a 4:20 pace). He probably yelled at us for 3 holes in a row.  On the 10th, where everyone stacks up (due to people getting drinks at the turn) he again came up to me and started yelling about how I thought I was so much better than them and how they didn't even want to be paired with us F***ers.  I had called the pro shop 2 holes before but they hadn't gone out to talk to the guy.  I couldn't hit and get out of there fast enough-it was unnerving.  Almost like road rage, where someone almost hits someone else, and one car goes chasing after the other one, shooting at them.  Insane.  

Anyways, finally the pro shop guy comes along and talks to them, then drives up to us to see if we are doing OK. According to the pro, the dad said "I am fine-my son was the one upset.  They had no right to play ahead" (even though they didn't want to play with us in the first place and us playing ahead made a better situation for everyone in getting the round over during daylight).   The kid only said one thing to me, basically a condescending remark about me walking instead of riding in a cart. It was bizarre.  After that, they no longer yelled at us, but did hit into us at least once more.  

It was so bad that it got me thinking of joining a private club.  It was unnerving and I had trouble focusing the rest of the round.  I have probably played with 150 different people over the past year or so and the past "worst experience" was a really nice guy who was just incredibly drunk and kept hitting my ball.  That was bad form but at least that guy wasn't a jerk.    

I suppose I just don't have the privilege of interacting with people like that on a regular basis....I would never have expected that behavior at a golf course.  It is a nicer one as well: semi-private and $45-90 a round.

Edited by RoyalMustang
  • Sad 6

A relatively nice semi-private is exactly the place to expect to run into douchebags like this. Not to say they can't exist everywhere, but that's where it's most likely. 

I play the vast, vast majority of my golf as a walk on single, so I'm getting paired with randoms pretty much every time I go out. I've run into folks like this before, and you can generally tell on the first tee - when they are nonplussed by the fact they have to play with someone else.

I mean, seriously, if you are going to get upset about that, it's a clear sign that you are just clueless. 

Now, I've never had anyone yell at me or hit into me like this, but I know I've put several people off their game before. I just try to be my jovial, easy-going self through all of it. More often than not, they disappear somewhere on the back nine. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

9 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

@RoyalMustang:

Good story and well written.

If it’s any consolation, Scientific American has an article now about the future of the species and we’re headed for extinction, and it will start about 2100, since our birth rate globally is less than our birth rate, depleting resource and blah, blah, blah. It might be the only cure. 🙂

I played in an alternate an alternate shot tournament with a supposedly good player many years ago. I had never played with him, but he had a reputation as a good stick. I was kind of a good player at the time and the pro at the course and some others came out and wanted to follow us, since we were the favorites.

My partner teed off on the first hole and hit it so far right that it was in deep rough beside the 18th tee. I hit it 3 feet from the hole from there.

He missed the putt.

I tapped in and he hits from the next tee, a par 3. He left it 40 yards from the green. I pitched up to within 3 feet.

He missed the straight uphill putt. I tapped in and everyone went back to the clubhouse. Not as dramatic as your story, but the moral of the story is that some people just can’t play with a gallery..

Wow!  I get nervous too, but that is something else entirely!  Especially for a good golfer.  

16 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

OK, so I will start. Last weekend, I show up to my tee time and a group is teeing off in the TT before us.  They are doubles (father and son), our pairing hasn't shown yet, and so the marshal says "why don't you just join them".  Ok, so I let the guy who just teed off know that we would be playing with them; he immediately barks at me "WHY?".  Well, the marshal asked us to!  Why else.

Anyways, 1st hole, very uneventful except (hadn't met the people yet though, it was pretty obvious they wanted to play solo) but boy, they are playing slow.  The kid announces he is "going to set the course record today" and they start playing like it is Sunday Masters, despite each taking a penalty on the first hole and the kid a penalty on the 2nd.  Spending several minutes on the 1st hole lining up putts, walking out to the ball to take a measurement, then back to the cart to get clubs....it was the antithesis of ready golf.  By the 2nd green, we had 2 groups stacking behind us. By the third green, the group in front of us (3-some) was already midway down hole 5.  As we were teeing off on 4, the group behind us finished hole 3 and was parked right behind us on tee 4-it took us probably 8 minutes just to hit a tee shot.  My playing partners acted like they were the only people in the world.  

Anyways, at the end of hole 4, I told the father son combo that my partner and I would go on ahead to keep pace up-we were falling behind and 2 groups of 2 can play faster than one group of 4.  The guy came unglued and started dropping F-bombs on me.  He was screaming "so, we aren't fast enough for you?  F-you!  I politely told him that I thought we could play faster as 2 and 2, nothing about him (although his ridiculous pace already had us 15 minutes behind scheduled pace after 4 holes and we had to finish a 4:20 round if we wanted to be off at dark-we were at nearly 6 hour pace by then). Plus, the people behind us weren't appreciative of waiting and waiting.  They deserve to get their round in as well.

Anyways, 3 holes later, they start playing quicker (probably just to show us up) and start screaming at us, yelling crap about them "not being good enough to play with us-why don't you show us how it's done". They hit into us multiple times (by then, we had gotten back to the group in front and were on a 4:20 pace). He probably yelled at us for 3 holes in a row.  On the 10th, where everyone stacks up (due to people getting drinks at the turn) he again came up to me and started yelling about how I thought I was so much better than them and how they didn't even want to be paired with us F***ers.  I had called the pro shop 2 holes before but they hadn't gone out to talk to the guy.  I couldn't hit and get out of there fast enough-it was unnerving.  Almost like road rage, where someone almost hits someone else, and one car goes chasing after the other one, shooting at them.  Insane.  

Anyways, finally the pro shop guy comes along and talks to them, then drives up to us to see if we are doing OK. According to the pro, the dad said "I am fine-my son was the one upset.  They had no right to play ahead" (even though they didn't want to play with us in the first place and us playing ahead made a better situation for everyone in getting the round over during daylight).   The kid only said one thing to me, basically a condescending remark about me walking instead of riding in a cart. It was bizarre.  After that, they no longer yelled at us, but did hit into us at least once more.  

It was so bad that it got me thinking of joining a private club.  It was unnerving and I had trouble focusing the rest of the round.  I have probably played with 150 different people over the past year or so and the past "worst experience" was a really nice guy who was just incredibly drunk and kept hitting my ball.  That was bad form but at least that guy wasn't a jerk.    

I suppose I just don't have the privilege of interacting with people like that on a regular basis....I would never have expected that behavior at a golf course.  It is a nicer one as well: semi-private and $45-90 a round.

Sounds like they were both on something, truthfully.  To be that unhinged and just losing it over a) having to play with others and b) someone wanting to improve a situation for both of them (not playing with them --- what they wanted from the get go, and improving your round by playing quickly and not having to be around these nutjobs) is baffling.  The fact that they seem so out of touch with reality ("Going to set the course record today!" and being oblivious about those around them) cements my belief they were not right.   Some people don't take any slight against them well at all.  You did everything properly, calling the shop to intervene and removing yourself from an uncomfortable situation.

Don't let it bother you, you have a 99% batting average playing with people who were tolerable.  As the saying goes, don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.  Luckily I have only played with one type like this that was just generally miserable the entire round and clearly didn't want to be there.  It was a really long time ago so I can't remember the exact details but I do remember feeling a sense of relief as they left after 9 to take care of whatever was clearly bothering them that day.  It became a much nicer afternoon.

Edited by WristySwing

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

19 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

OK, so I will start. Last weekend, I show up to my tee time and a group is teeing off in the TT before us.  They are doubles (father and son), our pairing hasn't shown yet,

OP

You should have just told the dad to FO....separated and played in 2 separate 2somes by the 3rd hole.

So approx how old were the father & son duo?

Here are some of the more memorable ones:

• A douchebag who insisted on chipping on the greens, instead of putting, because he was "practicing" for when he plays a "real" course. We were playing a 9 hole course that is frequented by seniors, beginners, and kids. Annoying guy. 
  • I've played with many mildly intoxicated and even drunk people. Most of them are fine, and even funny, but one guy asked the beverage woman for oral sex and verbally harassed her after she blew him off, e.g., vile names like the c word, etc. She started crying. This was on the back 9. I told him, "Not cool" and to leave her alone. This led to him posturing and wanting to fight. That didn't happen but I left two holes later because it was adjacent to the 18th.  Some guys can't handle alcohol and their latent a -hole character shines through.
  • This one wasn't awful but it was definitely an odd experience:  My buddy and I pair up with a guy and his girlfriend. She's an okay golfer and hits some  greens in regulation and has chances for birdie or at least par most of the time. They started drinking on the third hole and they kept it up to the 18th.  By the back nine, she's announced if she makes a par putt, she gets a hug and if she birdies she gets a kiss from everyone in the group. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to be fazed by this announcement. I try to keep my distance and laugh it off but she starts in about "our deal" (which my friend and I didn't agree to or say anything about). So, a few awkward hugs initiated by her and one peck (by her) on my cheek.  Lots of dumb comments from her about vaguely flirtatious topics, e.g., pretty women make golf fun, girls in skirts make the golf course look better, etc.  After the final putt on 18, her boyfriend and I shake hands and I try to shake her hand. She announces that she's a hugger and this time, its a real hug. She just throws herself at me. Simultaneously, she kisses my cheek and slides down and kisses my neck.  She then did the same thing to my buddy. Her boyfriend just laughed. 

Edited by PJE
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I can't remember ever being paired with someone that I wouldn't play with again.  The OP definitely got the short straw.

Just a couple weeks ago I'm at a public course as a single.  The starter pairs me up with a twosome.  They immediately announce that one started playing just last summer and it was the others first round on a course.  Oh boy.

The more experienced flares one right about 40 yards advancing it about 75 yards.  The rookie tops his about 20 yards.  Nobody waiting so I told him to tee up another.  He got it out about 200 yards left rough.  Obviously had some range time.  In the end he played better the the more experienced player and hit a bunch of decent shots.  They both had decent club head speed.

They both take the cart to the 75 yard shot and take a few minutes to advance it another 30 yards.  Two more of these and they both get in the cart and ride to the ball in the left rough.  By now there is a group on the first tee and the group in front is nowhere to be seen.  Teaching moment here.

They were really nice guys, just clueless.  I asked if they didn't mind a little advice and they were all for it.  I explained nobody cared how bad you play or how many shots you take because we all have our own problems to worry about.  What folks do care about is keeping up with the group in front of you or staying ahead of the group behind. I explained shared cart management and dropping off one player then going to your ball.

After that they did better and we never really pushed the group in front but we did get on the same hole.  It was a little nerve racking so didn't score well but that's on me and I had fun anyway.  After the front 9 they said they were going to go drink beer.  I don't think they quit because of me because I thought we were having a pretty good time.  So I played a couple holes alone then a single caught me (I swear his CHS was 120) I played better by 6 strokes on the back and we had a good time also.

It could have gone really bad and I would have liked to score better but it was good day.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

21 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Oof. Pace of play is a real game changer. You may be able to find a lower end club outside of the city you live in.

2 hours ago, KBong said:

OP

You should have just told the dad to FO....separated and played in 2 separate 2somes by the 3rd hole.

So approx how old were the father & son duo?

yeah-I wish I had. But this is Texas and anyone can be packing-especially mentally unhinged people.  There was a guy arrested a couple of miles away from here just recently for murder after a road rage incident.

Kid was early college, dad mid 50's.  They should have known better-the kid had the swing of someone who had played competitively and was capable of shooting close to par.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJE said:

Here are some of the more memorable ones:

• A douchebag who insisted on chipping on the greens, instead of putting, because he was "practicing" for when he plays a "real" course. We were playing a 9 hole course that is frequented by seniors, beginners, and kids. Annoying guy. 
  • I've played with many mildly intoxicated and even drunk people. Most of them are fine, and even funny, but one guy asked the beverage woman for oral sex and verbally harassed her after she blew him off, e.g., vile names like the c word, etc. She started crying. This was on the back 9. I told him, "Not cool" and to leave her alone. This led to him posturing and wanting to fight. That didn't happen but I left two holes later because it was adjacent to the 18th.  Some guys can't handle alcohol and their latent a -hole character shines through.
  • This one wasn't awful but it was definitely an odd experience:  My buddy and I pair up with a guy and his girlfriend. She's an okay golfer and hits some  greens in regulation and has chances for birdie or at least par most of the time. They started drinking on the third hole and they kept it up to the 18th.  By the back nine, she's announced if she makes a par putt, she gets a hug and if she birdies she gets a kiss from everyone in the group. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to be fazed by this announcement. I try to keep my distance and laugh it off but she starts in about "our deal" (which my friend and I didn't agree to or say anything about). So, a few awkward hugs initiated by her and one peck (by her) on my cheek.  Lots of dumb comments from her about vaguely flirtatious topics, e.g., pretty women make golf fun, girls in skirts make the golf course look better, etc.  After the final putt on 18, her boyfriend and I shake hands and I try to shake her hand. She announces that she's a hugger and this time, its a real hug. She just throws herself at me. Simultaneously, she kisses my cheek and slides down and kisses my neck.  She then did the same thing to my buddy. Her boyfriend just laughed. 

Yeah, that is borderline creepy!  

the guy who attacked the cart girl should be banned from the course at a minimum.  What if that was his daughter? 

• Like 1

I don't quite remember any partner I've had to walk away from playing, I've been behind some people that were just awful. There have been a few mutual "mind if we split at the turn?" talks which I understand especially if the course is pretty empty and one of us wants to play 2-3 balls and the other just want to get a quick round in.

Now I've been behind some groups where I've wanted to pull out my hair. One group I remember was just so slow, so bad at golf, wouldn't let me pass. But what I remember was they were decked to the 9s. Tour/staff bag, aftermarket headcovers, accessories on the cart, most expensive clothes and newest shoes. They were clearly new and had money because they were taking several practice swings, didn't know where to drive the cart, drove it on the par 3 behind/side of the greens, etc. They were so slow I went to the group behind me, explained what was going on, we tried to call the clubhouse but I don't think they were staffed well that day. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I 10000% agree with the comments of "I don't care how bad you play, I care about how slow you play".

I've got a buddy thats really gotten into golf in the past couple of years, and he used to be painfully slow to play with shooting well over 100 every time out.  He has learned the concepts of ready golf so much better and recently shot a 86 (his best round by like 7 shots), and what i really respect is that he is adamant about playing "mostly" by the rules.  He won't take free drops or mulligans usually, but he'll take a liberal gimmie when he's made a mess of a hole.  It would get on my nerves sometimes but he's the most fun person I've ever played golf with so I can take some lack of etiquette and general golf knowledge for the fun I'll have over a round.   

• Like 4
G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Yeah, rounds like that suck. I play solo a lot, so I get paired with all sorts. I'm very easy going, so I can usually find report with just about any jackass. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

There are two different categories here:

1. Fellow competitors and/or opponents. I’ve played competitively for 30 years, so I have some bad experiences. Most are in the slow play and bad etiquette areas. But I am going to skip this category for now.

2. Poor partners and teammates. My major beefs are in two areas; not trying hard/smart, or, like Soloman’s example, the partner has no ability, or very limited ability to come through when needed. Like my father would say, “you should buy a ticket” (as you are basically just a spectator, and not a competitor). For these reasons, players like to choose their partners for competitions instead of being assigned by a random draw or Captain. And it should also be obvious why vanity caps are not desirable as partners/teammates in net comps. And just the possibility you could get stuck with one of these guys would help to drive down participation. 

Years ago I was a good scramble player - plus handicap, long, good putter, loved to play last, etc. My club used to have a ABCD draw (by handicap range) scramble tournament. This was a good way to meet some new guys and it was basically a fun event early in the year. My teams won it a number of years. As a club leader, I knew most of the members and so on. One year I knew immediately I didn’t have a good team. But you go try anyway. So through 5 holes we are -2. On the sixth hole, a par 5, we all miss a 7’ putt for birdie. Through that point just my shots were used on all the holes. Including the two birdie putts made. You can learn from the others going ahead, but still. As we are walking off the green, the B player says that I needed to make that putt. (I agree. I was disappointed.  I lipped it out.) But still. These guys were not trying. They were just watching me play. Come on now. Get in the game! I said back, “Jerry, I hear you. I should have made it. But I don’t come out here and shoot 59 on my own ball. So if you guys want to win this thing, you are going to have to start contributing here and there.”

The other thing I don’t want to hear from a partner in a two man event is, “I am going to go for it today.” That to me means, based on experience, you will be ball in pocket all day and hardly help at all. (I am expected to carry the team all day.)  I want to hear, “I am going to be solid.” The “go for it” guys - how many greens did you hit today? One?

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

5 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Not paired with him but a golfer in front of me had the oddest swing technique - he would take multiple full practice swings a few steps away from the ball in a continuous pendulum motion the same speed back as forward - back and forth, back and forth, back and forth etc. and take tiny steps towards the ball until the ball got in the middle of his pendulum. 

He had not power or accuracy and was supper slow so we got to watch this show the entire round. One time miss-timed his step and hit the ball swinging backward and went about 50 yards back towards us. 😁

I’ve seen guy hit one backwards on topped shot. But that is hilarious!

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Once playing with my son who was 10 at the time, came across one really miserable guy. He wasn’t any good but who cares. Through 4 holes my son was a couple of strokes better than the guy. He was getting irritated which I thought was kinda normal as we all get upset when we don’t play well. On the 5th tee my son hit a solid drive about 200 yards and in the fairway, about 10 yards in front of the other guy’s ball. He walked up to the longer ball and my son said “excuse me, I think that one’s mine.” Guy gets really upset, stupid effing game, how old are you?I can’t hit it past a kid. Just turns and walks toward clubhouse leaving his bag there. My son was “did I do something wrong.” He was kinda upset which is the part that bothers me.  No buddy, some people just aren’t nice people and we played on. Ran into the guy about a month later and he was like hey, how ya doing? I refused to play with him and told him what I thought of him for how spoke at my son. Unfortunately sometimes we’ll run into people that aren’t good company.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

11 hours ago, milesgiles said:

first time playing with a member I had heard a lot about, very first hole he wants to penalise my other parther for supposedly not saying 'provisional ball' clearly enough..

He had previously reported a player for 15 clubs.. the 15th club turned out to be a brolley with a headcover on it.

That actually says more about you than him.

34 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I 10000% agree with the comments of "I don't care how bad you play, I care about how slow you play".

Great quote.  Why isn't this posted on a billboard on all courses, right by the first tee?  Some golfers just have no concept that their round affects others on the course.  

• Like 1