2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Worst partner ever-what is your story?

14 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

Once playing with my son who was 10 at the time, came across one really miserable guy. He wasn’t any good but who cares. Through 4 holes my son was a couple of strokes better than the guy. He was getting irritated which I thought was kinda normal as we all get upset when we don’t play well. On the 5th tee my son hit a solid drive about 200 yards and in the fairway, about 10 yards in front of the other guy’s ball. He walked up to the longer ball and my son said “excuse me, I think that one’s mine.” Guy gets really upset, stupid effing game, how old are you?I can’t hit it past a kid. Just turns and walks toward clubhouse leaving his bag there. My son was “did I do something wrong.” He was kinda upset which is the part that bothers me.  No buddy, some people just aren’t nice people and we played on. Ran into the guy about a month later and he was like hey, how ya doing? I refused to play with him and told him what I thought of him for how spoke at my son. Unfortunately sometimes we’ll run into people that aren’t good company.

That reminds me of a terrible partner I had in a tournament!  The guy is a decent golfer, probably 7-8 cap, but he swears like a sailor and is pounding a beer a hole.  Twice we note that he shaves a stroke off his card.  Anyways, the guy started really playing like crap and dropping the F-bomb loudly 2 or 3 times a hole. My son and wife were spectating: he is 10 and nobody should be swearing like that around kids.  Anyways, after finding the houses on 17, he just hops in the cart and drives off, but he has my scorecard!  I had to get the other playing partners to record my score on the last 2 holes.

The 18th was a lot more relaxing without him around

• Like 1

Played in a city tournament, this college kid missed a 3 footer, threw his putter about 50 yards and started swearing right and left. Everyone from the adjacent green and tees were entertained. And from there on for the next ten holes, he would rush to the tee box, hit and then started walking to this ball before everyone was yet to hit. I saw him the following year in the same city tournament with a caddie.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, PJE said:

Here are some of the more memorable ones:

• A douchebag who insisted on chipping on the greens, instead of putting, because he was "practicing" for when he plays a "real" course. We were playing a 9 hole course that is frequented by seniors, beginners, and kids. Annoying guy. 
  • I've played with many mildly intoxicated and even drunk people. Most of them are fine, and even funny, but one guy asked the beverage woman for oral sex and verbally harassed her after she blew him off, e.g., vile names like the c word, etc. She started crying. This was on the back 9. I told him, "Not cool" and to leave her alone. This led to him posturing and wanting to fight. That didn't happen but I left two holes later because it was adjacent to the 18th.  Some guys can't handle alcohol and their latent a -hole character shines through.
  • This one wasn't awful but it was definitely an odd experience:  My buddy and I pair up with a guy and his girlfriend. She's an okay golfer and hits some  greens in regulation and has chances for birdie or at least par most of the time. They started drinking on the third hole and they kept it up to the 18th.  By the back nine, she's announced if she makes a par putt, she gets a hug and if she birdies she gets a kiss from everyone in the group. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to be fazed by this announcement. I try to keep my distance and laugh it off but she starts in about "our deal" (which my friend and I didn't agree to or say anything about). So, a few awkward hugs initiated by her and one peck (by her) on my cheek.  Lots of dumb comments from her about vaguely flirtatious topics, e.g., pretty women make golf fun, girls in skirts make the golf course look better, etc.  After the final putt on 18, her boyfriend and I shake hands and I try to shake her hand. She announces that she's a hugger and this time, its a real hug. She just throws herself at me. Simultaneously, she kisses my cheek and slides down and kisses my neck.  She then did the same thing to my buddy. Her boyfriend just laughed. 

Might want to change the wording in point 2 to "after she turned him down".  Just sayin....  But that dude should be banned from that course.  No question.

I guess I've been lucky.  Worst I've had was the guy who complained about the foursome in front of us(we were two in our own carts) holding us up.  Marshal talks to them and they agree to let us play through on an upcoming par three.  I should have known something was up when the guy told me to take the 7 footer I had on the 1st hole, because he does, since he makes everything inside of 8 feet.  Anyway, on the par 3, the other group has hit, and is waiting at the tee box.  I hit the green, the other guy comes up short in a bunker.  There is actually another bunker between where he is an the green, and he puts his second shot into that nearer bunker.  He then proceeds to drop another ball to "get it out of his system" or something, on *the hole we are playing through and the guys right there watching us.*  

I had learned the other group spoke French, which I do as well, so as we walked off I just said to them I got paired with him, I don't know him.  When he asked what I said, I just told him Very nice day, isn't it?  Wasn't ruining my day for a guy I'll never see again.  Were it someone I did know, they would have heard about it.  But a guy who considers 8 feet and in a gimme isn't going to think he did anything wrong, and why stress myself out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, Medson said:

Ran into idiots about once a year. Mostly involved alcohol. Can't lose faith in humanity because of couple of idiots. 

I lost my faith in humanity long ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I’ve posted about this before in another similar thread, but here goes:

Ive gotten paired with good folks way more often than not. One time, though, I was playing as a single near my vacation spot and the pro shop paired me up with a twosome and another single. The twosome were two younger guys, good dudes, decent golfers. The single was this older guy, bit of an odd duck. He’s smoking like a chimney and reeks. He starts at the first hole telling us how this course he played the week before was so much better than this one. If this is what courses in this area are like he won’t be playing here again, etc. Then he of course proceeds to brag about the 76 he shot at this much nicer course. Well, it becomes clear after just a few holes that he isn’t breaking 100 today. Whatever, I get guys like this a lot…

But then, this guy starts yelling at the top

of his lungs after every bad shot. And basically every shot was a bad one. He yells at the top of his lungs, and complains that the course conditions are the problem and he never plays this poorly but that’s because he plays nicer courses. 

The twosome and I start rolling our eyes and giggling a bit with each other. It’s fine, he’s a jerk, but whatever we are playing golf and just kinda laughing at him. I’m the kind of person that can’t resist calling people on their poor behavior, though, so I make a few jokes here and there about “yeah, must have been the poor course conditions”. 

But it all comes to a head when we get to the 10th tee. The 10th tee is a par 3 and there is always a backup there. The course does do a poor job managing this, because it seems they let some people start on 10 occasionally, etc. Anyway, Mr Jerk is definitely not happy with the backup so he starts saying he’s going back to the clubhouse to complain. We basically tell him “Go for it, seems like you are miserable today, etc”.  So then he says “Well, I’m just going to have to say it, but I’m also going to complain about getting paired with you guys. I knew it was going to be bad when I saw y’all pulling up. Let’s face it, you guys just aren’t good company”. Lol. I’d had enough of being nice at that point, so I said “Oh, we are the bad company?  The guys tolerating you complaining about literally everything and yelling at the top of your lungs after every shot.  Please, go talk to the pro shop.”

Anyway, he left but eventually came back because there was nowhere else for him to go. We were very frosty after that and I didn’t speak with him or tell him “good shot” or anything from that point. It was a rough 18 holes. 

• Thanks 1

Our assigned "A player" in a foursome at a Church outing was someone I did not know from the parish. He said he was a former/retired professional baseball player who owned a chain of 50+Jiffy Lubes out of state and was a two handicap. While that seemed plausible when meeting him, the two giveaways that he was a complete BS'er should have been the shiner under one eye that would have made whoever hit him proud and his bag which contained a 14-piece club set you'd buy at Kmart complete with two dozen Nike Ignite golf balls. Turns out, he was such a horrible golfer that he couldn't hit Earth if it weren't for gravity and was so drunk by the second hole (which I thought probably explains the shiner) that he had his wife pick him up after the front nine. That gave us a chance to Google him and find his mugshot (with the same or another shiner) and his history which confirmed that none of what he stated was true. I met his wife at another parish event sometime later and learned that she was now his ex-wife as his consistent pattern of drinking and fighting were recurring events that had run their course.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

On 12/4/2021 at 6:28 PM, LeftDaddy said:

Anyway, he left but eventually came back because there was nowhere else for him to go. We were very frosty after that and I didn’t speak with him or tell him “good shot” or anything from that point. It was a rough 18 holes. 

Man I would be banking on him not having a weapon in the bag but after that interaction I would not be able to stop myself from goading that guy to the limits.

"Oh grass grain didn't work for ya on that one?"

"Dang man if the greenskeepers were a little better you wouldn't have left that putt 15ft short"

"You probably wouldn't have sliced that OB if these tee boxes weren't so crowned, definitely not your fault 😉"

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

On 12/3/2021 at 7:49 PM, mark m said:

I’ve seen guy hit one backwards on topped shot. But that is hilarious!

Oh my buddy does that at least once a yr. The funniest one was when he was teeing off. He swings, goes under the ball and says I never saw it. The ball went straight up and comes down bouncing off his head. I said do you see it now? He replies no but I'm seeing stars now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greenie said:

Oh my buddy does that at least once a yr. The funniest one was when he was teeing off. He swings, goes under the ball and says I never saw it. The ball went straight up and comes down bouncing off his head. I said do you see it now? He replies no but I'm seeing stars now.

Too bad you don’t have video. Another hilarious outcome.

The guy I was playing with was an older guy and around 36 handicap. He hit it about 150 yards max. I had heard about him hitting it backwards from a good friend who witnessed it once years ago. But it seemed impossible. He told at the start that I could see it today. I told him I wouldn’t believe it until I see it. It was scramble, do we were right there. He topped it with a fairway wood, and the ball went forward about an inch or two, and made a ball mark (like you see on a green), and went straight back about 4’.  He says immediately, “I told you I could do it!” The team was cracking up. He provided some humor, but no good shots. Anyway, he made a believer. 

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Had an "interesting" round yesterday.

Got paired with another single. Seems nice enough, is taking a lot of mulligans but were waiting on the group in front anyways so to each their own. Then on hole 8 his second shot goes clearly OB (picture below for reference). I figure he's just going the drop on the boundary so I'm over on the right side hitting my ball when I hear some yelling. This yahoo went I'd say 50-70 yards into OB land, which is clearly people lawns in his cart. The when the neighbors said something started a verbal argument with them with the usual name calling cussing etc. It was awkward as I'm walking up for to the hole and he rejoined complaining about them. They were threatening to call the club house and get him booted, I kinda wish they followed through, he legitimately thought it was fine to not only get him ball that far OB but to play it.

The kicker was he was a lawyer and was trying to use that as a deterrent to them being "mean" to him

image.png.56ac1429160bd7a26a0f47669b38353d.pngRed dot is the ball

• Haha 1

Had a funny one. Was playing a quick 9 late in the day with very few people on the course. I rolled up to 10 to tee off and there was a guy chipping on the practice green next to ten tee. 

The second I teed off he ran over and said he was on the tee before me. I laughed, respectfully of course, and got in my cart and drove off (I think he thought I was supposed to play with him when there was a couple people on the entire course). He teed off right behind me. He mentioned that he was a very fast player and warned me to not hold him up.

I get to the 17th hole (our finishing stretch has 3 holes tightly packed around a pond). I put about 2 holes between us pretty quick. I look back and see this guy RUNNING from shot to shot. I slowed down on 18 just to see what would happen. As I'm getting off the green he rolls up and starts acting pissed that I was playing slow. Again I respectfully laughed and drove off. Public courses bring out some real characters.

Edited by ShupeSC
  • Haha 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (10 degrees)[TENSEI Av Raw White] 

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15.75 degrees), Titleist TS3 (19.5 degrees)[Diamana D+ Limited]

Irons: Taylormade p770 (4)[DG TI X100], Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (5-9)[Project X LZ 6.5]

Wedges: Vokey SM8 (47-11F, 51-13F, 55-15F, 59-7LK)[DG TI S400]

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5

On 12/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, HoosierHacker89 said:

I lost my faith in humanity long ago. 

Somewhere around 1998.  I blame Al gore.  If he hadn’t invented the internet.  Well.  We’d still be blissfully ignorant.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 12/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, caniac6 said:

I'd have gone to the clubhouse at the turn, and tried to get my money back. I, at least, would have gone home. I don't need jerks hitting in to me, and confronting me on the 10th tee. I play for fun, and don't need that kind of stress. 

I’ve done the same thing. I got paired with a couple buddies that stayed up all night drinking and then made their tee time. Both were hammered, one of the guys whiffed the ball 5 times on the first tee box. I got through the front 9 with them but told them I was only playing 9. They were super nice guys, just don’t think they realized how drunk they were, they could barely stand. Course was nice enough to give me a rain check. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Most casual rounds with strangers have been okay. As long as they play fast and pleasant 

Worst are playing competitors that deliberately get under my skin.  Was in a municipal tournament  and just after I tee off the guy in the next group  behind us yells out to me that I tee up forward of the tee box.  My other two playing doesn’t notice anything and we just played on.  Then he makes condescending remarks about the shorts I wearing was bothersome to him   Clearly to try to throw off my game.  

I was on vacation and one stop was in a foothills town that had a little nine hole muni.  I played, and my wife was riding with me.  Late in the day, no one out, a kid maybe 17-18 asks if he can play along, no problem, sure.  Looks like a pretty good player, but has a volcanic temper.  Every shot is flawed to the extent that he pitches a fit.  We stayed away as much as possible, but still uncomfortable.  17th hole has a canyon off the left side, not really in play, but has a big hurricane fence along the course.  Kid hits a moon shot duck hook over the fence, storms off, throws his bag over the fence and leaves.  When I turned my cart in, I told the guys running the course what had happened and they said "oh, yeah, he does that all the time".

... I got paired up with a guy along with 2 others. He was scheduled for the group behind us but one didn't show so they asked him to move up. My first clue was when he said "I am uncomfortable not playing at my scheduled time" and the starter said there was nobody behind us and he could not send out a single after a 3some so he reluctantly joined us. He then proceeded to go through the most bizarre ritual to address the ball ending in a very weird position and even stranger swing. He hit a decent shot though but his 2 minute routine was excruciating. 

... We get to his ball and after going through his routine again and me glancing over a few times to see if he has hit yet but of course not, he stops and says "What is that noise? I think one of the other guys might be playing music so that could be a problem" He was in a cart and I am walking with music so low only I can hear it. Under normal circumstance if some asks me politely if I would mind playing without music, even though I am really the only one that can hear it, I happily shut it off. Much more often others ask me to turn up the volume, which I will do but again only loud enough for our group to hear if we are near my bag but I digress. I tell the guy yes we have a problem as he is taking waaaaaaaaaay too long to address his ball and take a swing and if he could not even tell the "noise" was music 10 feet away from me I was not going to turn it off and would make sure my bag was nowhere near his ball. He said "this could be a very unpleasant day for both of us because I am VERY deliberate and I don't like music, even off the golf course" What a strange dude to play as a single on a public course. 

... By the 3rd hole we are a whole hole behind as he stopped for airplanes in the sky that were distracting even though you could not hear them. Roadrunners, squirrels and any moving carts on other holes were all distracting. On the 4th tee I asked him to drop back and he said he was already asked to move up "officially" and he could not in good conscience drop back. I told him then I was, and asked the others if they wanted to join me and they looked like deer caught in the headlights and didn't answer so I dropped back and waited til they were on the green to tee of and thankfully a 2some behind me caught up and I joined them. On 10 the 2 guys in front let him tee off alone and dropped back telling me they had to use the excuse they were getting some food and they joined us to make a 5 some which is a no-no but they just couldn't deal with him anymore and we STILL waited on him every hole. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Unless you have a tee time as a foursome there is always a chance that you will get matched up with another group.  If you are a slow player you will likely find yourself out of step with the pace of play.  It’s futile to try to protest against that with foul language and inconsiderate behavior like your playing partners displayed.  This stems from selfishness and a lack of consideration for other people.  There also an element of delusion.

I had a playing partner for a while that just wouldn’t let anyone play through.  The club we played at had a very tough second hole.  It was a 600 yard par 5 with a really challenging tee shot (water on the left, tree line on the right with heavy rough beyond the tree line, very narrow).  More often than not he’d slice his tee shot into the trees or over them into the rough.  He’’d then spend the next 5 or 10 minutes looking for his ball.  He’d invariably try to hit his ball out of the rough with a 3 wood and would get himself into even more trouble.  By the time he got back to the fairway there would be at least one group right behind us.  Suggesting to let the group behind play through resulted in fireworks.  Occasionally, a group behind us would get frustrated and would move around us to a couple of holes ahead of us.  He’d explode.  Not that anybody ever held him up doing that, he was too busy holding himself up.  Perhaps he just couldn’t bare the thought that he wasn’t able to inflict his inconvenience on others.  I’ll never know and I’m not sure he could really explain it himself.   He was a “fantasy-capper”.  I rarely witnessed him legitimately breaking 100 although he claimed to be a 12 handicap.

Golf is a reality check.  You can’t hide from your score.  That’s more than some people can handle I’m afraid.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:08 PM, MaccaRayDudley said:

Unless you have a tee time as a foursome there is always a chance that you will get matched up with another group.  If you are a slow player you will likely find yourself out of step with the pace of play.  It’s futile to try to protest against that with foul language and inconsiderate behavior like your playing partners displayed.  This stems from selfishness and a lack of consideration for other people.  There also an element of delusion.

I had a playing partner for a while that just wouldn’t let anyone play through.  The club we played at had a very tough second hole.  It was a 600 yard par 5 with a really challenging tee shot (water on the left, tree line on the right with heavy rough beyond the tree line, very narrow).  More often than not he’d slice his tee shot into the trees or over them into the rough.  He’’d then spend the next 5 or 10 minutes looking for his ball.  He’d invariably try to hit his ball out of the rough with a 3 wood and would get himself into even more trouble.  By the time he got back to the fairway there would be at least one group right behind us.  Suggesting to let the group behind play through resulted in fireworks.  Occasionally, a group behind us would get frustrated and would move around us to a couple of holes ahead of us.  He’d explode.  Not that anybody ever held him up doing that, he was too busy holding himself up.  Perhaps he just couldn’t bare the thought that he wasn’t able to inflict his inconvenience on others.  I’ll never know and I’m not sure he could really explain it himself.   He was a “fantasy-capper”.  I rarely witnessed him legitimately breaking 100 although he claimed to be a 12 handicap.

Golf is a reality check.  You can’t hide from your score.  That’s more than some people can handle I’m afraid.

yeah, these are the same people who refuse to let someone merge in front of them when traffic is crawling. Absolute waste of space. 

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

On 3/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, syenkoc said:

Maybe not the worst partner ever, but definitely the strangest. This was a few years ago, when my home course was Bethpage Black. I was single and was paired up with two friends from Ireland on a golf trip and a 3rd guy who was *clearly* from Long Island.

After 3 holes, we realized that we were all basically at the same skill level, so we decide to a mini-Ryder Cup: Ireland vs. New York! I'm paired with the Long Island guy vs. the two Irish buddies. The match is back and forth, although on 12th hole, the Long Island guy's game starts to fall apart. He wipes a drive OB, then dumps an approach into the fescue on the next hole, has a 4-jack on 14th - just putting up a lot of crooked numbers. Meanwhile, I am playing really well, and actually manage to win 1 of those holes and halve the others. He's clearly getting frustrated and into his own head.

On 15 he hits huge banana slice into waist-high fescue. Somehow we find it, but the lie is just horrific. He manages to hack it out into the fairway, and I say something to the effect of "Nice out/recovery." Well, this absolutely sets the guy off. He accuses me of being a "plant" of the two Irish guys and trying to steal his money. I'm said, "Dude, I've been carrying the team for last 4 holes. The greens fees are $75, and we're playing for $10 - why would it even makes sense to try to swindle you?"

This was not received well AT ALL, and he starts going even crazier. By the time we get to 17, he's raving at all three of us. Of course on 17, a par 3, he hits a perfect shot for a hole-in-one! Now he's the happiest guy in the world, wants high-fives, selfies with everyone, hugs, etc. I ghosted him 100%. He looked over one of the Irish players, and got a total death stare back. Then the Irish guys says, "Luck of the Irish always lands on a gob*****!"

It was the first and last time I didn't shake hands with someone after a round (Covid not withstanding).

Disgraceful behavior.  Golf reveals who people really are.

• Like 1

Don't know if this really fits the thread, but a guy at work was telling me he played golf.  Was a member at another club in the area until he split with his wife.  So I figured I would have him out for a round.  Day before, I text him to confirm, and he tells me he's bringing someone out with him.  Now, I'm not a member at a hoity-toity club, and I tell enough people they don't need to wait for me to bestow upon them the honor of an invitation.  Just let me know you're looking to play and we'll work something out.  And if he would have asked, I'm pretty sure I would not have had an issue with it.  I could have cancelled, but the way our minimums work, it played out to my advantage to just go wit it.

Round was fine, and this other dude was ok, but I haven't invited him back out.  I'm fairly easy going, but presuming an invite is for "anyone else you feel like bringing along" did cross a bit of a line.  But that may just be my curmudgeonness.  

• Like 1

I’ve only refused to play with someone once.  He threw such a fit on the first tee box for being paired up with me that I just went back to the starter and told him I couldn’t spend 18 holes with this guy.  He was still going on and on about something on the tee box and the starter went down and told him my wife and I would be playing in front of him and his son.  He didn’t like that one bit, but the starter gave him his option of letting us go or not playing, and he quieted down…I was planning on waiting till they could get us out but liked his solution of us going first.

Posted before, but what the heck:

In Phoenix just after the new year about a decade ago.  Have the second tee time.  Turns out I'm all by myself.  Foursome is in first tee time.  Ranger asks me if I mind waiting for the next single in a half hour, since I would be right up on the foursome in no time.  I said as long as I can keep my own cart I can do that.  So guy shows up, warms up and off we go.

First green, he has a putt about 5 feet, picks it up.  Says since he always makes everything inside of 8 feet, it's all gimmies anyway.  Oh boy.  Says I can play the same way, but I tell him, no, I came all this way to hear the rattle.  So we play a couple of holes and start to catch up to the foursome.  One hole looks clear so I assume they are gone, and I tee off.  As I'm watching the ball, all of a sudden I see carts come out of a low spot in the fairway.  So at this point I am panicking and shaken.  So as soon as the other guy tees off I race up to the group in front to apologize and make sure no one got hurt.  I could tell English was not their primary language, but they got it across I hadn't hit anybody, so I felt a lot better.

The other guy, though, starts getting a bit antsy at being held up.  So when a marshal comes around, he gets on him about wanting to play through.  A few minutes later, the marshal comes back and says they will let us play through on the par 3 coming up in a couple holes.  So we get to the par 3, with the foursome having hit already, and just waiting at the tee.  While I tee off, the other guy talks to them and finds out they are from Montreal.  Aha.  They are French.  Which would have been handy to know earlier as I speak French.

Anyway, this par 33 has two bunkers in front of the green, one greenside, and one a bit further out.  I put my ball on the green, the other guy hits his into the first bunker farthest from the green.  Everybody goes to the green, and the foursome stay in their carts till we finish.  Other guy gets into the bunker and fats it into the next bunker.  He then proceeds to drop another ball to "get it out of his system" on the hole WE ARE PLAYING THROUGH.  I give a quick glance over and the foursome is kind of confused, and I'm mortified. 

Finally we finish up, and as we are leaving, I say to the guys, in French, "I don't know this guy, I was paired with him," cause I sure didn't want to have them think I approved of this behavior.   They let us play through and he pulls that....smdh.

As we got to the carts other guy asks me what I said to them.  I just told him I said it was a lovely day for golf.  Thankfully, with separate carts and no one in front, the round went quickly and I didn't have to interact too much.

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, chisag said:

... I got paired up with a guy along with 2 others. He was scheduled for the group behind us but one didn't show so they asked him to move up. My first clue was when he said "I am uncomfortable not playing at my scheduled time" and the starter said there was nobody behind us and he could not send out a single after a 3some so he reluctantly joined us. He then proceeded to go through the most bizarre ritual to address the ball ending in a very weird position and even stranger swing. He hit a decent shot though but his 2 minute routine was excruciating. 

... We get to his ball and after going through his routine again and me glancing over a few times to see if he has hit yet but of course not, he stops and says "What is that noise? I think one of the other guys might be playing music so that could be a problem" He was in a cart and I am walking with music so low only I can hear it. Under normal circumstance if some asks me politely if I would mind playing without music, even though I am really the only one that can hear it, I happily shut it off. Much more often others ask me to turn up the volume, which I will do but again only loud enough for our group to hear if we are near my bag but I digress. I tell the guy yes we have a problem as he is taking waaaaaaaaaay too long to address his ball and take a swing and if he could not even tell the "noise" was music 10 feet away from me I was not going to turn it off and would make sure my bag was nowhere near his ball. He said "this could be a very unpleasant day for both of us because I am VERY deliberate and I don't like music, even off the golf course" What a strange dude to play as a single on a public course. 

... By the 3rd hole we are a whole hole behind as he stopped for airplanes in the sky that were distracting even though you could not hear them. Roadrunners, squirrels and any moving carts on other holes were all distracting. On the 4th tee I asked him to drop back and he said he was already asked to move up "officially" and he could not in good conscience drop back. I told him then I was, and asked the others if they wanted to join me and they looked like deer caught in the headlights and didn't answer so I dropped back and waited til they were on the green to tee of and thankfully a 2some behind me caught up and I joined them. On 10 the 2 guys in front let him tee off alone and dropped back telling me they had to use the excuse they were getting some food and they joined us to make a 5 some which is a no-no but they just couldn't deal with him anymore and we STILL waited on him every hole. 

cant help but think youve conflated two issues

his slow play is unacceptable. so is your playing music without asking. You say 'he couldnt hear it' but clearly he could. Honestly you are as bad as each other..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

his slow play is unacceptable. so is your playing music without asking. You say 'he couldnt hear it' but clearly he could. Honestly you are as bad as each other..

... Under most circumstances I completely agree and I always ask if music played low is OK with any playing pards I meet for the first time. I play 5 times a week and only 2 times in the last 5 years has someone said they would prefer playing without music and I turned it off. I turn it on after the first tee and ask at the first green and literally hundreds of times I have been asked to turn it up, not off. From 10 feet away this guy couldn't even tell what it was and was already distracted and backed off by birds "making noise". This guy was extremely anti social and as I said I dropped back after 4 holes and the other 2 dropped back after 9. But point taken, music is an option and it should always be turned off for any pard that would rather play without it. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Under most circumstances I completely agree and I always ask if music played low is OK with any playing pards I meet for the first time. I play 5 times a week and only 2 times in the last 5 years has someone said they would prefer playing without music and I turned it off. I turn it on after the first tee and ask at the first green and literally hundreds of times I have been asked to turn it up, not off. From 10 feet away this guy couldn't even tell what it was and was already distracted and backed off by birds "making noise". This guy was extremely anti social and as I said I dropped back after 4 holes and the other 2 dropped back after 9. But point taken, music is an option and it should always be turned off for any pard that would rather play without it. 

mmm

most people dont want to get into an argument at the start of four hours with someone, so whatever they actually think id suggest they are unlikely to tell you to turn it off. I guarantee you have upset more than two people in five years!

god help us if this music thing becomes common over here

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1