Justin Thomas driver switch

Tycall

Very interesting indeed. I know he was a bit of a late adopter of the TSi line earlier this year

Titleist Junkie

Driver - TS3 8.5* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black X Stiff

FWY - TS3 16.5* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black X Stiff

UT - U500 3 Iron PX HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff

Irons - 714 AP2 PX HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff (4-6) TT XP 95 Stiff (7-GW)

Wedges - Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* & 60* M Grind

Putters - Scotty Studio Design 1 or Special Select Squareback 2

Ball - ProV1

TSI3 is a hair lower spinning (not that they couldn't fit him into something to optimize his flight in a 2 style head. Those techs can probably find a shaft that works.)  It's a more traditional club head shape which fits the rest of the bag minus the putter. He may have had more confidence in it. Who knows? 

Edited by shoot4par

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I think he actually switched back before this, but yeah definitely interesting. I do wonder about the force of his body mechanics off the tee and how long his body can handle them. 

Wondering the same. He is a tiny little guy. He swings so hard trying to keep up with the big boys. It's just a matter of time until back/neck problems set in.

1 hour ago, Raisinabo1 said:

Ummmm..if Im not mistaken, that looks like a TSi line driver as you can tell by graphics on the face. Definitely not his old TS3 by that pic.

the weights flaring on the back make me believe its a TS

• Like 1

Driver: PING G400 LST 10° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua 59X Tour Issue

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (@ 14.25°, A4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

5 Wood: Titleist TS2 18° (@ 18°, D4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

Irons: TaylorMade P760 (4-PW) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52°-12, 56°-13), Titleist Vokey SM7 Tour Issue (60°-04L) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx Wedge S400

Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Ardmore 2 "L Neck" 

Grips: Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound Midsize, Winn Dri-Tac X Putter

Ball: Titleist AVX

Bag: Titleist Linksmaster

6 hours ago, Tycall said:

Watching Hero today and saw that JT switched back to his old TS3 from the TSI2. I wonder why, it seems like he was doing better with his new TSI2… he the ball in the photo about 60 yards right into a bush with the TS3774E2C36-02AD-4590-837D-09508A06C7B8.jpeg.66a3bc77ce7f0a43a58a094f92586e72.jpeg

The face looks “ATI” in this photo. Does anyone else see that?

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - 9* - Tour AD IZ
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Tour AD IZ
Titleist TS3 Hybrid - Even Flow
Titleist U500 - 4 iron, DG Tour Issue X-100
Titleist T100s 5-9, DG Tour Issue X-100
Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW - 46*, 50*, 56*, 60*, DG Tour Issue X-100 & S-400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Masterful

18 minutes ago, Carson33 said:

The face looks “ATI” in this photo. Does anyone else see that?

Please see previous posts, been covered. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2nd Tournament with the TS3 back in play. He tried the TSi3 at the start of the year, ditched it quickly. Spent most of the summer in the TSi2 head, seemed to do ok with it. I reckon he just enjoys the shape and feel of the TS3 more, he seemed to be getting similar performance with it and no real gains with the TSi heads. He hits the odd wild ball but who doesn't.

Titleist TS3 10.5 (B1) - Tensei Pro White 60TX

Cobra F8+ 13.5 - Tensei Pro White 70TX

Titleist T200 3i - Tensei AV Raw White 90x

Titleist 718 TMB 4i - X100 AMT White

Titleist 716 MB 5i-PW - X100 AMT White

Taylormade Milled Grind Black 52,56,60 - S200

Taylormade TP Bandon 1 L-Neck - KBS CT Tour Matte Black - GP Pro Only Cord Red Star

Tour Velvet Align

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Pretty sure he’s been hitting ts3 for months if not most of last season again. I think he last experimented big with tsi3 in Hawaii 

Edited by bladehunter

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I have no experience with any Titleist driver since the 983K, but I'll offer my opinion anyway based on experience with another manufacturer.  We are clearly at a point where the driver is nearly maxed out as far as performance out of the sweet spot.  My guess is, the area where the hot spot is slightly changed from the TS to the TSI series.  Possibly one being closer to the toe.

This was my experience trying to move from a Mavrik Sub Zero to an Epic Speed TD LS.  My miss is high toe, and the Mavrik simply performed better for that miss than the Epic Speed.  Just a thought

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

I have no experience with any Titleist driver since the 983K, but I'll offer my opinion anyway based on experience with another manufacturer.  We are clearly at a point where the driver is nearly maxed out as far as performance out of the sweet spot.  My guess is, the area where the hot spot is slightly changed from the TS to the TSI series.  Possibly one being closer to the toe.

This was my experience trying to move from a Mavrik Sub Zero to an Epic Speed TD LS.  My miss is high toe, and the Mavrik simply performed better for that miss than the Epic Speed.  Just a thought

Yep.  That’s the truth.  It’s all about fitment now. And I don’t mean an indoor big box store fitting.     When you find a head that forgives your particular miss , keep it.  

• Like 3

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

16 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

If thats your miss try the Epic Speed retail model. Thats the reason some pros like Stenson are playing it over the TD models.

I also play it for my high/toe miss.

Edited by third-times-a-charm

Epic Max LS + ZF 6TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / TW-X 4 + TR20P + Modus3 105 / MD5 Raw / Toulon JDM Austin 

2 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If thats your miss try the Epic Speed retail model. Thats the reason some pros like Stenson are playing it over the TD models.

I also play it for my high/toe miss.

Awesome, I appreciate the heads up.  Haven't tried the retail head as I just "assumed" it would be higher spin vs. Mavrik Sub Zero

Just now, NicholasP said:

Awesome, I appreciate the heads up.  Haven't tried the retail head as I just "assumed" it would be higher spin vs. Mavrik Sub Zero

It is, but that also depends on your strike location and etc. 

Epic Max LS + ZF 6TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / TW-X 4 + TR20P + Modus3 105 / MD5 Raw / Toulon JDM Austin 

15 hours ago, DIIV said:

He lost control with the driver when he first switched to the tsi, was getting a nasty left miss. He went left of left off the first tee at Bluejack national when he was playing with Tiger and Rory when he first put the tsi3 in play. Hasn’t seemed to regain control even when he has switched back to his old driver. 

He had the tsi3 for a very short period and switched to TSI2 was doing well with that won Players and has done pretty well this year

16 minutes ago, Tycall said:

He had the tsi3 for a very short period and switched to TSI2 was doing well with that won Players and has done pretty well this year

Yep, although he was back in the TS3 for his players win, he switched to the TSi2 after that. Nothing matches the shape of the TS3 for me, JT had so many wins with the TS3 and I reckon he just prefers the look and feels more comfortable shaping shots with it. Those low raking hooks at the players were incredible under pressure!

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 10.5 (B1) - Tensei Pro White 60TX

Cobra F8+ 13.5 - Tensei Pro White 70TX

Titleist T200 3i - Tensei AV Raw White 90x

Titleist 718 TMB 4i - X100 AMT White

Titleist 716 MB 5i-PW - X100 AMT White

Taylormade Milled Grind Black 52,56,60 - S200

Taylormade TP Bandon 1 L-Neck - KBS CT Tour Matte Black - GP Pro Only Cord Red Star

Tour Velvet Align

Bridgestone Tour BXS

2 hours ago, jaffabell88 said:

JT had so many wins with the TS3 and I reckon he just prefers the look and feels more comfortable shaping shots with it. Those low raking hooks at the players were incredible under pressure!

So much more comfortable shaping shots with the TS3. Doubt he could play that nice sweeping draw with the TSI, I was getting the same issue. Anytime I’d try to turn one over it with TSI it would just be this nasty kamikaze dive bomb snapper. Saw Paul Casey get the same miss with it too. 

• Like 1