Stepping OB, what am i permitted?

jobin

Wish i had a Rules Book, but alas.  In front of us, a big slow group of gamblers, i mean really slow and no skipping in front allowed.  On the par 5, we hit our tee shots and mine went way right, within 1 meter of the OB stake, but still in bounds.

Beyond the stake, in OB land, was an open meadow so i dropped a few waste balls in the OB land and hit a few 9 irons shots towards the meandering OB creek. All this time simply waiting to hit my second shot.  All told took about 5 mins for the other lads to play and then my turn.  I stepped back onto the course and played out to the fairway.

Ought i be penalized for hitting balls from the OB?  My considered opine is NO.  What's yours?

5.5 Practising During Round or While Play Is Stopped

a. No Practice Strokes While Playing Hole

While playing a hole, a player must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or off the course.

These are not practice strokes:

• A practice swing made with no intent to strike a ball.

• Hitting a ball back to a practice area or to another player, when done solely as a courtesy.

• Strokes made by a player in playing out a hole whose result has been decided.

b. Restriction on Practice Strokes Between Two Holes

Between two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke.

Exception – Where Player Allowed to Practise Putting or Chipping: The player may practise putting or chipping on or near:

• The putting green of the hole just completed and any practice green (see Rule 13.1e), and

• The teeing area of the next hole.

But such practice strokes must not be made from a bunker and must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).

See Committee Procedures, Section 8; Model Local Rule I-2 (the Committee may adopt a Local Rule prohibiting practise putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole just completed).

c. Practice While Play Is Suspended or Otherwise Stopped

While play is suspended or otherwise stopped under Rule 5.7a, a player must not make a practice stroke except:

If a match is stopped by agreement of the players and will not be resumed on the same day, the players may practise on the course without restriction before the match is resumed.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 5.5: General Penalty.

If the breach happens between two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5° D Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

Mizuno ST-Z 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70X
Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

Cobra King Pro MB 4-GW PURE'd Elevate Tour 115S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
  Edel EAS 4.0 | LAB B.2
Camino Sunday | Jones Original | Jones Players | Jones Utility

57 minutes ago, jobin said:

Wish i had a Rules Book, but alas.

You have the internet, try:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=how

Or try the R&A website if you're in their jurisdiction.  Or download the Rules app if you post from your phone.  There's really no valid excuse.

57 minutes ago, jobin said:

Ought i be penalized for hitting balls from the OB?  My considered opine is NO.  What's yours?

Not an opinion, really, you receive the General Penalty.  During the play of a hole, you must not make a practice stroke at any ball on or OFF THE COURSE.

Edited by davep043
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davep043 said:

You have the internet, try:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=how

Or try the R&A website if you're in their jurisdiction.  Or download the Rules app if you post from your phone. 

To be fair(?), although the app is a valid alternative, I think he was referring to a physical booklet in his bag to refer to at the time.

• Confused 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

LAB Directed Force (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

12 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

To be fair(?), although the app is a valid alternative, I think he was referring to a physical booklet in his bag to refer to at the time.

Perhaps you're right, but he took the time after the round to write his post.  He would have been better off to research the Rule for himself, he definitely had some kind of internet access when he did that.

Edited by davep043
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jobin said:

The rules are crystal clear that you receive a penalty. I hope that is not your question.

But you seem to be looking for opinions on whether the penalty makes sense. 100% it makes sense, being able to practice during a round creates a number of issues including creating an unfair advantage.

However if you are not playing a competitive round in my view fill your boots... provided it does not effect anyone else and you make the necessary adjustments to the score you post.

Edited by 2bGood

I'm rather concerned about the ecological impact of hitting balls into the "OB creek" as you describe it.

What of the salamanders that live out there man? What is to become of them?!?

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

6 hours ago, jholz said:

I'm rather concerned about the ecological impact of hitting balls into the "OB creek" as you describe it.

What of the salamanders that live out there man? What is to become of them?!?

😀 I agree with the humour of this, and get you are joking, but it is pretty crazy how destructive golf balls can be to the environment as they collect in mass and don't (ever?) break down.

This is kind of a cool mini-doc about all the balls in the Ocean near Pebble Beach. Golf Balls Littering the Ocean Jump ahead to 3:50ish mark to get an idea of what it looks like under water.

I am not too fussed about filling up the man-made lake on most golf courses, but I can't say I would purposely hit balls into nature for fun (anymore🤫)

If that does not convince you try this:

Titleist in Ocean

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

😀 I agree with the humour of this, and get you are joking, but it is pretty crazy how destructive golf balls can be to the environment as they collect in mass and don't (ever?) break down.

This is kind of a cool mini-doc about all the ball in the Ocean near Pebble Beach. Golf Balls Littering the Ocean Jump ahead to 3:50ish mark to get an idea of what it looks like under water.

Can't say I am too fussed about filling up the man-made lake on most golf courses, but I can't say I would purposely hit balls into nature for fun (anymore🤫)

If that does not convince you try this:

Titleist in Ocean

Yes, I completely agree. My post was a "joking but not joking" kind of thing as the young wipper-snappers like to say these days. Just trying not to come on too strong. 

Your final statement about "purposefully hitting golf balls into nature for fun" hits the nail on the head. No need to go out and purposefully be a ****** to anyone or anything - including nature.

Have some respect. 

• Like 1

or
or

20 minutes ago, jholz said:

....Your final statement about "purposefully hitting golf balls into nature for fun" hits the nail on the head. No need to go out and purposefully be a ****** to anyone or anything - including nature.

Have some respect. 

Tell that to Kramer...   

Thank god George was there to save that whale!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

Tell that to Kramer...   

Thank god George was there to save that whale!

Ha! Had to come up eventually.

"The sea was angry that day...like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli."

Easily one of the best lines from that entire show.

or
or

9 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Unfortunately they do break down and golf balls contain masses of zinc which is harmful to the environment.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Unfortunately they do break down and golf balls contain masses of zinc which is harmful to the environment.

I have read they break down after about 100 years - ????. I am sure leaching what ever is in them the entire time. Did not know they have zinc, but I always assumed they are filled with all sorts of things that don't belong I water.