Question about head position and still getting to the left side

angler99

My head moves too far forward of the ball, or at least is not slightly behind the ball at impact, but I also struggle to get to my left side. If I think about keeping my head slightly behind the ball, how do you still get to the left side and prevent hanging back?  Does anyone know a feel or drill that keeps my head in the right position but also at the same time getting to the left side without hanging back?  If I think about head position, my tendency is to rotate too much around my back leg.  Does this make any sense at all to anyone out there?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think head position is more a result of how you pivot than it is about trying to keep it back. If you have good trail-side bend, for example, the head won't be forced to get out in front. Since it's probably caused by something else, it's hard to speculate on a good drill without seeing a swing video. 

Might be a poor concept you are trying to shift.     Shift happens off the ball and before backswing ends and involves moving both body centers (torso and pelvis) with upper falling back thru impact (and how much depending on the club - wedges not much at all, driver a few inches) before going up and forward.

Good descprition.    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYGhArFN1O/

AMG coined the term recentering.   shift, rotate, shift, rotate.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CW0s6IAjdCu/.     https://www.instagram.com/p/CQoAsY1NbuD/

head   https://www.instagram.com/p/CPYMu-GNPGM/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Need more tilt.   Hips and shoulder turn on tilted angle.   You appear to be turning too flat.   

Left knee moves out toward toes (rotation will bring it slightly inward depending on hip flexibility), right knee loses a little flex (if you start with around 25* of knee bend then left goes to about 50* and right would go to around 18*.     Having this knee motion coupled with intent to turn right hip up and back toward the target tilts the hips on an angle which assists torso in tilting to maintain setup angle.    https://www.instagram.com/p/CTiAzqwpj2w/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

6 minutes ago, Chippy8 said:

Club accelerating too soon, becoming detached from power source.  

1577466680_scan0045(4).jpg.7ad4ab5112d9eff2f94e40f94fede413.jpg

I don't disagree. I know that I'm dumping some lag too early. However, for the time being I'm trying to work on some other fundamentals before I tackle that problem. Chasing lag is something that really messed up my swing a while ago. But you are correct in what you see.

1 hour ago, liquorandpoker said:

Looks to me like your head moves forward in the backswing.  That may be the issue

I agree.  Just need to figure out what's causing it.  A DTL video would be helpful.  

Looks like your staying centered over the ball the whole time.  You are never loading up the trail side.  Your trail leg locks up by P2, causing you to get vertical and tilt towards the target.  

You can see the big difference in the pics below.  Morikawa has loaded up the trail side and will then start to "re-center" himself at the top.  As where you are already tilted and leaning towards the target.  

490726601_Morikawarightside.png.6dac296059a9bdad51cdf82dcdf45a9f.pngCentered.png.11cb48e2b5585d22cf45212ef7f6e790.png

Highly recommend looking at taking a few lessons.  There's a lot contributing to the head problem, among other issues. 

I just want to point this out, because golf is very hard from this position.  Your shoulders are turning so flat, that you're going to need a lot of manipulation coming down from here.  Would recommend going back to the start and working on takeaway and how shoulders / hips need to rotate.  Ton of content and threads in the forum already on these.  

1534740230_MorikawaShoulders.png.5d2ec8429d210812b118507979a90094.png1139469521_FlatShoulderTurn.png.bcbecaee984c2a1d0fa1a051eb659375.png    

9 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

Highly recommend looking at taking a few lessons.  There's a lot contributing to the head problem, among other issues. 

I just want to point this out, because golf is very hard from this position.  Your shoulders are turning so flat, that you're going to need a lot of manipulation coming down from here.  Would recommend going back to the start and working on takeaway and how shoulders / hips need to rotate.  Ton of content and threads in the forum already on these.  

1534740230_MorikawaShoulders.png.5d2ec8429d210812b118507979a90094.png1139469521_FlatShoulderTurn.png.bcbecaee984c2a1d0fa1a051eb659375.png    

I think you are correct. I've had some online lessons, but none of these issues were addressed or even mentioned. I have always wondered why that line you drew on my shoulders is so flat. I have no idea why they are so flat or how to correct that.  I did get to my lowest HC of 6 this season, but it's now up to a 9. I have a long winter ahead of me living in the mountains, but we have some golf simulators I can use once a week or so. 

17 minutes ago, angler99 said:

I think you are correct. I've had some online lessons, but none of these issues were addressed or even mentioned. I have always wondered why that line you drew on my shoulders is so flat. I have no idea why they are so flat or how to correct that.  I did get to my lowest HC of 6 this season, but it's now up to a 9. I have a long winter ahead of me living in the mountains, but we have some golf simulators I can use once a week or so. 

Monte and Dan are two pro's that contribute on this site.  A lot of the users on here have had good success with their online lessons.  

https://dancarrahergolf.com/

https://rebelliongolf.com/

If you are more interested on studying on your own, highly recommend Padraig's channel.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJolpQHWLAW6cCUYGgean8w

Bunch of content out there.  Here's a video that relates to your standing up and flat shoulder turn: 

Are you crossed eye dominant?

To test this make a circle with your thumb and middle finger . Look through this circle at the ball with both eyes open. Now close your right eye with your left eye open. Then do the opposite. Whatever eye that you see the same as with both eyes open is your dominant eye. If it is your left eye , you are crossed eye dominant .

55 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

Are you crossed eye dominant?

To test this make a circle with your thumb and middle finger . Look through this circle at the ball with both eyes open. Now close your right eye with your left eye open. Then do the opposite. Whatever eye that you see the same as with both eyes open is your dominant eye. If it is your left eye , you are crossed eye dominant .

Definitely right eye dominant.

A very common golf problem, IMO.   In fact, a big contributor to handicaps above 18.  Jack Nicklaus told me how to correct this problem, at least how to begin to 'speak to the issue'.

Jack said: keep your buttons back.  Your shirt buttons, keep those behind the club head as you hit the ball. What this mental activity does is to focus your attention on your 2 body parts (upper/lower) and which one should be where when you strike the ball. 

Won't be easy to forget the 1000s of wrong shots, but this notion is a good start.  Give it a try. I'd say it's the first step towards a correct motion.   

Summary of problems

1. Backswing too long

2. Downswing almost all lateral- little rotation

3. At first parallel on backswing clubhead is inside hands with the shaft facing to the right of your target. This often leads to a right elbow that is too far behind the body-STUCK

4. Very steep in transition -partly a result of your stuck elbow position 

Suggestions 

1. Narrow your stance an inch or two

2. Flare out the left foot 1/4 turn . Thus will reduce the length of your backswing and increase your ability to rotate going down

1+2 will reduce the length of your backswing

3.During your takeaway move your hands straight back until they pass your right thigh- this will help to align the shaft parallel to your target at first parallel.

4. Buy a soft spiked ball about  6 inches in diameter at your local dollar store and hit irons with this ball between your elbows. Doing so will prevent your right elbow from getting behind the seam of your shirt

DRILL

Hit balls with your feet very close together- a couple of inches apart. This is one of the best drills of all time and particularly applicable to you. Too much Lateral motion will force you to lose your balance 

A3729E68-2B75-4E36-B687-2D29664B1302.png

8A23B23C-0BEC-46C3-A73F-4EA4313CF0B1.png

9DA06129-E1C6-4B19-9D1A-F09F74918C48.png

Edited by golfarb1

Too much upper torso extension in the backswing and not unweighting the trail foot. Feel like your pressure is moving into the lead side as early as P2-P3 and try to maintain flexion. You don't want to be in flexion but for you it's going to feel like you are simple because you're in way too much extension right now. That's why your head moves toward the target in the backswing.

Also feel like your right bicep stays in front of your right pec. The arm's getting way behind you and it's a hard move to recover it in time from there which forces you to stand up and move more forward to avoid hitting behind the ball.

Edited by johnrobison