Jump to content

Hole-in-One Ball Retrieving Etiquette


tw_focus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Golfer #1 has the honors on a par 3 and holes his tee shot, hole in one. Now there are three more golfers to play. Should golfer #1 walk over to the hole and grab his ball before the other three players hit? Is it proper for one of the other three players to request that Golfer #1 do that, since their own chance of holing out is much worse with an occupied hole?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

Golfer #1 has the honors on a par 3 and holes his tee shot, hole in one. Now there are three more golfers to play. Should golfer #1 walk over to the hole and grab his ball before the other three players hit? Is it proper for one of the other three players to request that Golfer #1 do that, since their own chance of holing out is much worse with an occupied hole?

Plenty of room in the hole for another ball.  What could make you think the chance of holing a ball is reduced by a ball already in it?

 

Edited by Colin L
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Colin L said:

Plenty of room in the hole for another ball.  What could make you think the chance of holing a ball is reduced by a ball already in it?

 

 

Well, the zinc in ball number 1 could magically repel ball numbers 2, 3 and 4 if their zinc contents are unequal. 🙄

  • Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colin L said:

Plenty of room in the hole for another ball.  What could make you think the chance of holing a ball is reduced by a ball already in it?

 

When the flag is out, it's uncommon, but you get more bounces in and out of the hole when there's another ball in there. When the flag is in, the ball rests against the pin and can prevent balls from entering the hole that go over the holed ball (more common). It's basically the reason you always get your ball out of the hole before someone else putts.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

When the flag is out, it's uncommon, but you get more bounces in and out of the hole when there's another ball in there. When the flag is in, the ball rests against the pin and can prevent balls from entering the hole that go over the holed ball (more common). It's basically the reason you always get your ball out of the hole before someone else putts.

I made a putt after my playing partner made a putt without removing his ball. This happened just yesterday, with the pin in. There was still plenty of room.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Oh definitely.  I can not begin to tell you the number of times we’ve had that happen in my group.  First guy holes out and then the other three get hosed by their ball bouncing off the ball in the hole.

We just count it as four aces and move on to the next tee.

 

image.gif.a77080774fad79eb203cd82133910f00.gif

What could be more fair than that?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe if you are all chipping from the side of the green and the first guy 
hole it and also maybe the holed ball isn't all the way down.      
 
From the tee, nobody is thinking about a holed ball stopping them from 
holing out.   On tour they don't wait for the HIO guy to retrieve his ball 
before others hit.  
  
What HIO etiquette hasn't been mentioned is: You should allow the HIO 
owner to retrieve their ball from the hole.  Do not get it for them.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Oh definitely.  I can not begin to tell you the number of times we’ve had that happen in my group.  First guy holes out and then the other three get hosed by their ball bouncing off the ball in the hole.

We just count it as four aces and move on to the next tee.

 

image.gif.a77080774fad79eb203cd82133910f00.gif

Strawman. I didn't say that happens often, but what happens multiple times per round is that someone holes out on the putting green and then they go retrieve their ball before the next guy putts. It's a major breach of etiquette (and rules?) to leave your ball in while another player putts. If I saw that I'd ask the guy to get his ball out of the hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

Strawman. I didn't say that happens often, but what happens multiple times per round is that someone holes out on the putting green and then they go retrieve their ball before the next guy putts. It's a major breach of etiquette (and rules?) to leave your ball in while another player putts. If I saw that I'd ask the guy to get his ball out of the hole.

Definitely not a breach of the rules. Etiquette? That's subjective, but I respect anyone asking me to take my ball out if I'm on or close to the green.

On the tee shot, I think the possibility of a subsequent tee shot staying in the hole if it managed to land there on the full (or on the bounce) would be enhanced if there already is a ball in there - a glancing blow or rebounded contact with that ball would dissipate some of the energy compared with the alternate sans ball of hitting solid, immovable materials. And if it wasn't hitting the hole on the full, having a ball in there makes absolutely no difference. But don't take my word for it, conduct the experiment - put one ball in the hole and then keep rolling another ball in (removing it afterwards) until you get that second roll ball to bounce out by itself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tw_focus said:

Strawman. I didn't say that happens often, but what happens multiple times per round is that someone holes out on the putting green and then they go retrieve their ball before the next guy putts. It's a major breach of etiquette (and rules?) to leave your ball in while another player putts. If I saw that I'd ask the guy to get his ball out of the hole.

Etiquette is subjective, as said, but for this to be considered a major breach of etiquette is daft because is is utterly pointless.  Even dafter - and I've encountered them-  are those who swear blind that there's a 2 stroke penalty for holing out with another ball in the hole.  (There are beers to be won on that one.)

 

Add  this to antic's experiment.  Once your are satisfied that  a ball rolling into a hole with another ball in it doesn't bounce out, try again with two balls in the hole and then with three. 

 

Please come back to us with a report of  the outcome of the study.  We'll let you off without having to conduct.a peer review.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never have given this much thought about leaving your ball in the hole being poor etiquette or another ball being in the hole bothering another player much less thinking a ball will bounce out because another ball is in the hole. 

 

My regular playing partner and I play ready golf. The are plenty of times when one of us will make a longer putt and we will leave it in the hole because the other person is ready and waiting to putt.

 

Playing in our regular foursome it never happens because someone is tending the hole while the next person is ready to putt.

 

Playing with strangers is a different matter. Everyone has their own way of playing and so many don't even care about being ready or realizing so many little things that they could do to speed up play. It's always a feel things out in the beginning and go from there with strangers for me.

 

I certainly wouldn't have a problem if someone wanted me to remove my ball from the hole before they putted. It is the right thing to do. On a HIO I would laugh at you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, tw_focus said:

When the flag is out, it's uncommon, but you get more bounces in and out of the hole when there's another ball in there. When the flag is in, the ball rests against the pin and can prevent balls from entering the hole that go over the holed ball (more common). It's basically the reason you always get your ball out of the hole before someone else putts.

I have been playing over 50 years, and I have seen balls bounce off flagsticks, and not go in, but that is usually because the ball is going too fast. In most cases, the stick keeps the ball from going about 8ft. past. I have never seen a ball in the hole prevent another ball from going in. Maybe 50 years is a small sample size.

Edited by caniac6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

If someone agrees with the ridiculous logic that HIO ball needs to be removed before others hit their tee shot as it interferes, then... I assume these same dummies are also asking people to mark their tee shots that are on the green that could potentially interfere with their shot?

 

Thanks for my daily dose of dumb ideas. 

Probably in the running for the worst topic of the year?  Time is running out, but this is a late qualifier!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tw_focus said:

Strawman. I didn't say that happens often, but what happens multiple times per round is that someone holes out on the putting green and then they go retrieve their ball before the next guy putts. It's a major breach of etiquette (and rules?) to leave your ball in while another player putts. If I saw that I'd ask the guy to get his ball out of the hole.

 

You know, at first I figured, like Augster, this was just a troll post.

 

But you're continuing it, albeit moving the goalposts with different scenarios, suggests you're serious.

 

Secondly, you don't seem to realize Shilgy's post was sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek/fanciful/whatever and are doubling down on it with different scenarios.

 

So while your original suggestion after a HIO is patently absurd, at least THESE other scenarios have some validity.

 

I wouldn't suggest there's ANY "etiquette violation" and there certainly isn't any rules violation in someone leaving their ball in the hole. IF the next player objects certainly the guy should take his holed ball out of the hole.

 

But virtually every player I've ever played with, upon holing a putt, will simply walk to the hole and pull the ball out whilst the next guy is getting ready. No time wasted, problem(?) solved.

 

Nevertheless, with the pin OUT you could probably spend the next 7 days trying to hole a putt with a ball at the bottom of the hole and not have a single put "jump out" - but I suppose it's possible there's a "perfect" speed and contact where it might happen. Good luck finding it.

 

As for while the pin is IN, IF the ball was at the bottom, it'd probably be even harder than without the pin in for the next ball to hit and come out.

 

Now IF the holed ball was leaning against the flag stick and NOT at the bottom of the hole, THAT could certainly keep another putt out. I have to wonder though if there's a single player that would leave that ball there while he was putting next.

 

 

FOCUS_TW_FOCUS. 🙃

 

  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tour AD TP

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey OG 7 (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, antip said:

Definitely not a breach of the rules. Etiquette? That's subjective, but I respect anyone asking me to take my ball out if I'm on or close to the green.

On the tee shot, I think the possibility of a subsequent tee shot staying in the hole if it managed to land there on the full (or on the bounce) would be enhanced if there already is a ball in there - a glancing blow or rebounded contact with that ball would dissipate some of the energy compared with the alternate sans ball of hitting solid, immovable materials. And if it wasn't hitting the hole on the full, having a ball in there makes absolutely no difference. But don't take my word for it, conduct the experiment - put one ball in the hole and then keep rolling another ball in (removing it afterwards) until you get that second roll ball to bounce out by itself.

In the spirit of this post I will conduct your experiment from the tee box.  I’ll make a hio and then hit a couple more in the hole and see if the ball from my original ace causes any of my subsequent hio shots to miss.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is exactly why my caddy tends the pin on all par 3s.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G KBS $-taper 120

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X KBS $-taper 120
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black
Best Grips, BB&F
Bridgestone Tour BXS yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe it’s a. Etiquette issue to leave your ball in the cup after holing a putt. I generally won’t putt if someone holes out and doesn’t retrieve it. Though it has ZERO to do with less room in the cup. We joke about “two balls can’t fit in there.” It’s a joke. 
 

If a guy holes out a putt and doesn’t retrieve the ball, etiquette-wise, I’ll look at that guy as part of the great unwashed. I’ll either educate them, or just not play with them anymore. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...