2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shoe issues. High arches, plantar faciitis, heel pain

Been there, done that, have many T shirts.

Two things: read the blog from the Angry Orthodpod (https://angryorthopod.com) and start his stretching recommendations. 

Here’s the thing it has in common with golf. You’ll need to commit seriously to putting in the work and then do it regularly. It works, period. 

High calf stretching is the issue in many cases and those that don’t have success in stretching may not be doing it properly (just my own guess here). it was a game changer for me…good luck and please update us!

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

I should add one more thing: stop walking around bare footed.  Find some slides with arch supports and wear them relentlessly.  I found that these alleviated a lot of the pain day in and out.  Hope your making some progress!

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer

On 1/11/2022 at 9:59 AM, agolfman said:

I should add one more thing: stop walking around bare footed.  Find some slides with arch supports and wear them relentlessly.  I found that these alleviated a lot of the pain day in and out.  Hope your making some progress!

Respectfully, many believe that strengthening is far more beneficial than creating a crutch for the arch.  

https://www.medbridgeeducation.com/blog/2016/07/so-you-walk-like-a-duck-the-evolution-of-the-collapsed-arch/

“As a society, we are essentially slapping a Band-Aid on the symptoms of a collapsed arch. We are merely bolstering crumbling keystones with our padded shoes and custom orthotics. “

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

You have to find shoes and solutions that help to retrain your foot to land properly while you also fix the body to help solve why it was landing improperly as you will need both to fix the issue long term.  I found a solution in the unlikeliest of places...tennis shoes....like literal tennis shoes for playing tennis.  This shoe literally changed my life and I will never buy another pair of running shoes ever again.  Tennis shoes provide way more support than running shoes and that makes sense when you think about the demands of each. A tennis shoe will need much more lateral support than a running shoe. 

Zoom Image

The first thing these shoes did is ensure that my foot lands properly because of the camber on the back part of the heel. This was huge for me as my foot would usually land towards the outside of my heel and then roll onto the outside of my foot which was basically overriding my orthotic and causing stress on my ankles, knees, low back etc. and on up the chain.  The next critical part of the equation is shown here: 

Zoom Image

These shoes have an extension to the sole that blocks the foot from rolling to the outside and this was huge for me as it completed the entire process where my foot was forced to land properly and also complete the rest of the step properly and this now allowed the orthotic to function properly.  I always closely monitor the wear pattern on the bottom of my shoes and now my shoes wear evenly across the sole and the same on both shoes whereas before my shoes would wear only towards the outer part of the sole. 

The downside to this is that there is a time where the body is getting used to this adjustment and my ankles, calves, and hips where trying to shift in to a better position and this can be quite uncomfortable.  Just like I remember the agony of correcting a pinched nerve I had in my back where the process to get everything back into proper orientation was just about as painful as the pinched nerve was if not more!  That being said once everything was back in place I feel so much better. Also remember that most of the time pain in one location is caused by a deficiency in another. I had to really grind on my calves and hamstrings before my foot pain went away fully.  My calves were so tight that they wouldn't allow my foot to strike the ground properly so also keep that in mind as you address the issue.  Best of luck. R to L

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:42 PM, extrastiff said:

Sorry the snark and reply turned me on, couldn’t help myself.....

Rollers, taped lacrosse balls? Acupuncture and Bands?

maybe u missed the part where I said strengthen, or never had a good physical therapist show you some weighted negatives for targeted high muscle atrophy. 

A weighted vest and a curb to stand on is Probably closer and cheaper that that cryo-thingymabob ur going to have to “move” towards before the end of your day. Ymmv. But If ur into throwing money at stuff, which you no doubt very much are after all the tricks you’ve invested in, I think you Will really enjoy the surgery. You’ll especially enjoy Paying the physical therapist a ton of money to show you exercises that you could’ve just done before the surgery.

OK I promise that’s the last I have to say as long as you promise not to be so alluring when you reply

So what strengthening can you do for this? Calf raises etc?

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 1/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, Phabs said:

So what strengthening can you do for this? Calf raises etc?

Yes, but My physical therapist recommended that if pain is present, negatives are a safer option to start. So when it comes to calf raises, you would go up on both feet, at whatever speed, but then lower down on one foot as slow as physically possible. Like, millimeter slow(on a block or stair so can lower past parallel). Medium effort every day, rather than one intense workout then taking a day off. Body weight should be sufficient, but can add weighted vest if it’s available. Not necessary. Once pain is gone, then can progress to single leg calf raises and negatives. 

There are other workouts with bands and such, but much more complicated. I’d assume therapist would only recommend them if goal is high level/competitive athletics. The calf negatives potentially will deal with arch pain after week or two depending on severity.

There are many that recommend occasionally walking barefoot in the house, and other things, But I’ve never had a therapist recommend that to me personally so I cannot relay any recommendations there. 

Every physical therapist I’ve worked with Has recommended that I stay away from orthotics and things of that nature, their reasoning being the same as the article I posted earlier. It is a crutch, not a fix. They also recommended that I make sure my “drop” (basically the distance of my heel to the ground) is consistent throughout my footwear. Having basketball shoes with a significant amount of cushioning And drop, and then switching to flip-flops, was basically causing some issues. They suggested that if my foot was very strong it would be less of an issue, but may still causing some issues. I have since switched to astral zero drop shoes, And I wear them pretty consistently throughout my activities

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I have flat feet which have hurt for years and after stepping in a hole while walking on the course one day, I went and had two sets of custom orthotics made.  I was in a boot and rehab took about two months.  One orthotic stays in my everyday show and the other I use in my golf shoes.  I have about 6 pair of Footjoy golf shoes and never wear the same shoe two days in a row.  The orthotics have really helped. 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I have the same issues high arch and walk heavy on heels and planter fasciitis. 

I found switching to the FJ TOUR S was the best move along with my custom orthotics. I find the heels are deeper and I can lock my heel in when I tie them up When my heel doesn't slip my day walking is better.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, naws-golfer said:

Never tried Ecco, but Im Down to try anything, except maybe sketchers. Actually right now I’d try anything.

If a pair of Sketchers could take 5 strokes off my game and cure all my foot and back pain permanently, I still wouldn’t wear them, the cost is just too high. 

D - Mizuno ST200G, Tour AD-XC

3W - TSi2, Tour AD-HD

2i - Mizuno MP-H5

4-P - Cleveland 588 MB - KBS Tour

50,54,60 - Vokey SM9 - KBS 610

P - TP Mills Custom Ming

I have had issues with plantar fasciitis the past couple of years.  I like to walk the majority of my rounds as well, so finding the right pair of shoes was an issue.  The stability of the FJ Premiere series does OK for me, but the easiest walk is in the FJ Hyperflex.  The Stratofoam footbeds in those make them like walking on pillows.  Thinking about adding a pair of the Stratos since they use the same tech.

I'm a podiatrist and yes I also recommend Brooks shoes.  For golf I wear Ecco.  Not saying other brands won't work.  Also IMO the best OTC insert is called Powersteps (can get off Amazon for $30).  Make sure you take the existing inserts out of your shoe and put the new one in.  Custom orthotics are great but can get pricey, I have all my patients try the OTC before going for customs though.

PXG Gen 6 driver

PXG Gen 4 3W
Ping g425 3H, 4H

PXG Xcor2 6-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 58*
Bettinardi BB8w

BTW anyone with plantar fasciitis or heel pain should get good shoes and the treatment that usually works is stretching.  Sounds simple, dumb, but usually works (sometimes steroid injxn or oral steroid to go along with the stretching).

Here is a link to a website with the stretches, the first 3 are the best.  Also the very first stretch, with the towel, do that in bed before you even put your feet to the ground.

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health-wellness/health-encyclopedia/he.plantar-fasciitis-exercises.ad1503

PXG Gen 6 driver

PXG Gen 4 3W
Ping g425 3H, 4H

PXG Xcor2 6-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 58*
Bettinardi BB8w

On 1/31/2022 at 10:08 PM, grat702 said:

BTW anyone with plantar fasciitis or heel pain should get good shoes and the treatment that usually works is stretching.  Sounds simple, dumb, but usually works (sometimes steroid injxn or oral steroid to go along with the stretching).

Here is a link to a website with the stretches, the first 3 are the best.  Also the very first stretch, with the towel, do that in bed before you even put your feet to the ground.

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health-wellness/health-encyclopedia/he.plantar-fasciitis-exercises.ad1503

Finally, someone helpful!

I did get some ecco's and tried them today. Really comfortable, a step up indeed

• Haha 1

Unlike the old Jordan commercial….it’s not the shoes.  As you guessed it is the insoles.  These are the best I’ve found for plantar issues.

91D935C4-8275-4A1E-916A-3185EB05CD3F.png

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar