2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Recoil 110 graphite

Parjim734

34 minutes ago, Parjim734 said:

I’m really considering going to graphite in my irons. Been dealing with a lot of discomfort from practicing. I have Tour issue s400 soft stepped once. Would recoil 110 fit the bill as far as swingweight or balance point

Depends what you mean by "fit the bill"?

The recoils will swing weight similarly to the DG's  - but that really doesn't mean anything in the context of dropping that much static weight.  Just keeping the same swing weight will not ensure that you keep the same heft feel.  

1) How good a fit the lower static weight will be  and 2) what swing weight will be a good fit at that lower static weight - are things you can only figure out by testing them or by trial and error.

And that's only looking at the weight.   The recoils are going to be a little bit softer for the same flex as the DG's.

Steelfiber's tend to be a bit closer fit in terms of stiffness than the recoils for those coming from DG's but that's just a rough generalization and you never really know until you give them both a try.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

I just installed a Recoil 110 F4 into the 23* Srixon ZX Utility iron that I ordered.  I play DGTI s400 in my 5 iron down thru my wedges, and didn't notice much of a playing difference in terms of ball flight and the shots I was trying to hit with the ZX Utility.  Granted, it was 1 round of golf, and a few balls on trackman and CG2, but the results were very positive.  

I did add some hotmelt to the ZX Utility and some a little lead tape to get the SW closer to what I like, but the drop off in weight wasn't bad during my round.  I don't know if any of this information helps.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

18 minutes ago, Parjim734 said:

I understand what you are saying. I also tried modus 120 and 105.  Neither worked real well for me. I’ll be 57 this year and I think it’s time to get fit properly and lose the ego at the door and play some softer shafts. 7 iron swing speed is around 77-80

Do you know why they didn't work for you?

Just a couple things you should realize going forward:

Weight isn't really all about age or swing speed, rather it's really much more about fitting or matching the players natural sense of rhythm and tempo.   Some older players can still do better with the heavier shafts.  Never assume you'll get more swing speed by going lighter and even if you do, it could potentially mess with accuracy and consistency.   So keep focused on the actual results, not what you think you should do or what you think should happen.

Stiffness is about the players preference for the feel of the shaft loading and there are some out there who just don't do well if they feel too much (or too little) loading compared to what they are expecting.  It can mess with the timing and sequencing of the swing.  And there is no inherent benefit for going softer just because the swing is slowing down.  Contrary to popular belief, more loading does not mean you'll get more club head speed at impact.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT INFO, THANKS. I am considering the same move from Modus 105S to Recoil 95. So far the Modus go straighter, but that is after some initial testing. After reading this, then how do u properly know if you need stiff or regular, or should try graphite or steel in irons shafts? 

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

S400 ssx1 = 110F5 imo

110 F4 vs 110 F5- I can feel the heft of the F5 tip, reminds of s400. F4 seems light in this area - I can definitely feel a difference through impact

Took me a few tries getting Recoil 110 just right.....I play F5 ssx1 

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

By comparing the results you get with the different options when you test them out.

Nippon are 10 grams heavier so im assuming that feels much different

I tried the steelfiber i110 to see if the would replace PX 6.5 soft stepped. 

For me it was a no go. I lost almost two clubs in distance with 7 iron. 

Going down that much in weight for my swing did not work. Caused me to release the club extremely early. Pay very close attention to weight. 

I'm 55 and have lost a little swing speed but my swing still requires a shaft weight on the higher end. So, it's not all about age and swing speed when picking a shaft.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mizuno player said:

Going down that much in weight for my swing did not work. Caused me to release the club extremely early. Pay very close attention to weight. 

I'm 55 and have lost a little swing speed but my swing still requires a shaft weight on the higher end. So, it's not all about age and swing speed when picking a shaft.  

Amazing how a lighter graphite shaft for an iron works for some but not for all. Now im just more confused

^^^ No need to be confused, you need to try and decide.

I've been building and gaming only SF i95CW Regulars for many years over several sets, and they have been working very well for me.  However I have the urge to revisit heavier steel shafts again to see if maybe there is something positive to be found.  My swing mechanics have improved a lot since 5 years ago and curious if heavier might have some benefits for me now.   I have some Accra iSteel 115 on order to re-shaft a set of Mizunos to experiment with.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

so far my Modus at 105 grams goes straighter then the 95 gram Recoils. Definitely hitting more hooks with the lighter shaft. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, ob1soccer said:

Nippon are 10 grams heavier so im assuming that feels much different

Not necessarily.  My modus (in wedges) and my MMTs that are 10 grams heavier than my Recoil R4 95s don't feel all that much different.  Both are stiff and soft-stepped and are nice and I switched to the MMTs for my irons because they feel smooth and I like how they perform and compared them apples to apples, but whatever the grams in weight whether more or less among the shafts I can't say is a definite aspect of the feel.  Recoil 110s in F4, on the other hand, feel significantly different to me than the 95s, again I'm not sure it's the weight but to me more of a stiffness aspect I don't like at all for some reason.

You have to try them and see what combinations of what work for you.

Edited by Hawkeye77

I'm a lifelong DG user, and I tried the Recoil 110's earlier this year.  I hated them.  I had a set of irons with SteelFiber 110's in them for a short time, and I got along really well with the SteelFibers.  Just food for thought.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

6 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Not necessarily.  My modus (in wedges) and my MMTs that are 10 grams heavier than my Recoil R4 95s don't feel all that much different.  Both are stiff and soft-stepped and are nice and I switched to the MMTs for my irons because they feel smooth and I like how they perform and compared them apples to apples, but whatever the grams in weight whether more or less among the shafts I can't say is a definite aspect of the feel.  Recoil 110s in F4, on the other hand, feel significantly different to me than the 95s, again I'm not sure it's the weight but to me more of a stiffness aspect I don't like at all for some reason.

You have to try them and see what combinations of what work for you.

HOW DO U LIKE THE MMT IN THE IRONS? I HAVE THE MMT IN MY DRIVER AND LOVE IT

On 12/16/2021 at 3:30 PM, mizuno player said:

Did you go with the same swingweight in your i110 set as you PX set?  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

23 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Did you go with the same swingweight in your i110 set as you PX set?  

Yes. Same length SW. 

The lighter shaft caused me to swing a little over the top with a early release. Back to heavier PX all good. 

I was not happy as I need graphite shafts due to injuries. 

1 hour ago, mizuno player said:

Yes. Same length SW. 

The lighter shaft caused me to swing a little over the top with a early release. Back to heavier PX all good. 

I was not happy as I need graphite shafts due to injuries. 

My reason for asking:  I've found when going lighter in shaft weight, I need to increase swingweight.  I use a sliding scale depending on how much the shaft weight is changing.

Got it from something Dave Tutelman put in his Club Design Notes.  His idea was to take 1/3rd of the shaft weight reduction and add it back to the clubhead. 

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My reason for asking:  I've found when going lighter in shaft weight, I need to increase swingweight.  I use a sliding scale depending on how much the shaft weight is changing.

Got it from something Dave Tutelman put in his Club Design Notes.  His idea was to take 1/3rd of the shaft weight reduction and add it back to the clubhead. 

Never thought of. Sounds legit and I'll keep that in mind should I try lighter shafts again. Thanks. 

• Like 1