2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I finally did it...left rangefinder on the cart...

That's what I get for asking myself how in the hell anyone could forget their rangefinder, or anything else, in the cart after a round. 🤬

I had one of those magnetic straps on my Precision Pro NX7 (highly HIGHLY recommended, by the way, best value in RF's). My son and I finished our round, headed to the parking lot to unload, and he returned the cart as I was loading the car, NX7 still on the pillar. My forgetful a**  never even thought twice.

So I pose this question to everyone...the magnetic strap was VERY convenient. But now I totally see how easy it is to forget about it. What are others doing during the round to keep your RF within easy access/reach besides attaching to the cart? When I get another one, I think I'm just going to leave it in it's case and in the dash. Not very convenient but at least I ALWAYS check the dash when I unload. Not I good start to the season (Florida golf FTW) 😭

• Sad 1

DR: PXG 0811X Gen4 9*

FW: Titleist 917F2 15*

2I: Mizuno MP FliHi 18*

Irons: Titliest DCI 981 3-PW (Mizuno MP 14 3-PW)
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTG 56* + 60*
Putter: Ping Anser F Isoforce

Same thing happened to me earlier this year, called back over a week later when I discovered that it was missing, and they actually had the rangefinder in their lost and found for me to pick up.

Up until that point, I was just using the plastic clip on the carrying case to clip it to the inside of the cart basket (in between the riders and the bags).

Since then, I bought a big carabiner with a threaded locking mechanism.  Stays attached to the loop on the back of my rangefinder carrying case, and then I just clip it on to my bag handle whenever I play.  No digging around in a pocket for it during the round, and there's really no chance of it falling off.

I have the same range finder and just picked up a magnetic strap a month or so ago. I’ve left the range finder on my cart 3 times since installing the strap. The first time I realized it at the car and walked back to recover it. The second 2 times I realized I left it several days later when I was at the range and found the empty range finder pocket in my bag. Luckily both times the cart boys returned it to the pro shop, but I am at a private club were carts are returned to staff at the cart barn. I’m close to throwing the magnetic strap away.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

The magnetic feature has been the best and worst thing to happen to rangefinders. One of the cart attendants at my club said at least 2-3 times every single day they'll have someone leave their rangefinder stuck to the pole of a cart. Fortunately, it's a private club so everyone who has left theirs has gotten it back.

As for what I do... Regardless of whether I'm riding or walking, I leave mine in the rangefinder pocket of my bag. It might take an extra 1-2 seconds at most compared to sticking it to the cart rail, but at least that way I always know where it is and never forget it. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, buckrogers71 said:

When riding I leave it in the same spot as my phone so I am forced to get it. I also leave my car keys in the rangefinder case so I am forced to get my keys and remind myself to get the rangefinder. Mine rangefinder is old so no magnetic strap.

Good answer, I'm pretty sure you can also get security tag type things that give you an alert if you get too far away from whatever it is you don't want to loose.

I would imagine you would get yours back however surely?

I did find a nice rangefinder on the course I went to as a visitor a few years ago. Reported it to the pro shop, phoned them left my details etc (I didn't want to leave it at the shop because I didn't know them and things go missing from lost property). No response. Still got it. 

I have my own cart so this wasn't an issue I had to deal with except in competition allowing carts at other venues.  I lost a Bushnell Pro XE - has a magnet, at a qualifier earlier this year - wasn't turned in or found.  Bought the same model to replace it and left that again a couple weeks later at another course.  Fortunately that one was found.  Now I am diligent about putting it in the case on the last hole EVERY TIME!  Best and worst invention for convenience!!  Ha.

Usually keep mine in the cupholder. It sticks up well above the top of the cup holder and is hard to miss as you leave the cart.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

After purchasing a magnetic NX7 I left it on the cart like 4 times.  I realized twice before leaving property, once the cartboy caught it as I was walking away and once I called the pro shop once I got home and they had it in hand.  I thought for sure this wasnt going to work out in the long run.

1) I put my name & number on the rangefinder just in case

2) I intentionally put the case in the dashboard cubby with all my other junk, so when I’m cleaning out my cart, the case is my reminder to grab the range finder off the metal pole. (I used to just leave the case in my bag)

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I walk about 65% of the time, so it usually just stays in my bag.  When I do ride, I will keep it in the center cup holder with my phone.  Thankfully I have not left it behind as of yet.  Using an old Bushnell Z6 Tour so it may be time to leave it in the cart, ha

TaylorMade Tour Issue QI10 9* Project X Denali Blue 60TX // TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BF 60TX

TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 15* Project X EvenFlow Blue 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M3 19* Graphite Design AD DI 7x

Titleist TS2 21* (A1 setting) Graphite Design AD DI 7x // TaylorMade P790 4i Project X LZ 5.5 (hard stepped x2)

TaylorMade P770 5-Pw Project X LZ 6.0 (1*weak)

Titleist SM9 Black 50.08F, 56.10S (Bent to 55.09) & 60.08M TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Ping PLD Anser 2 34" // TaylorMade Spider X Double Bend 34"

Titleist ProV1 ('21)

Two things I always do:

- valuables always go into the valuables pouch (keys, money, watch)

- as soon as I get the yardage on the last shot on 18, the range finder goes into the range finder pouch.

Haven't lost my valuables or left the range finder behind.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I place it on the pole closest to my bag on the back pillar, and shoot the number from the back of the cart. It’s very easy to see when I am unloading my bag at the end of the round

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

5 hours ago, btwhite7 said:

So I pose this question to everyone...the magnetic strap was VERY convenient. But now I totally see how easy it is to forget about it.

Yep.  I used to forget my cigar holder clipped on the cart stanchion.  My buddies have done that too.  I went through 3 of them before it became second nature.  Thankfully, they were cheap. 

Maybe that's the underlying reason why I won't buy a cell phone holder for golf cart, and leave my cell phone in my back pocket during play.  Also, have a Garmin Approach Z82 Laser/GPS and Fenix 6X Pro on my wrist 24/7.  Most of the time I leave z82 in its carry bag attached to the side of my golf bag, and rely on 6X accuracy; can't forget it cause it's on my wrist.... LOL

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea of putting my keys in the case but I may just leave it in my bag/case from now on. So frustrating...

That being said, I do have a good news update. I initially called the course to see if it had been found and nope, no sign. I left my name and number and I just got a call... IT'S BEEN FOUND! Makes me feel good to know there are still honest people around. This was a VERY popular muni course, too. I'm shocked. Heading to pick it up this afternoon. 😆 

DR: PXG 0811X Gen4 9*

FW: Titleist 917F2 15*

2I: Mizuno MP FliHi 18*

Irons: Titliest DCI 981 3-PW (Mizuno MP 14 3-PW)
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTG 56* + 60*
Putter: Ping Anser F Isoforce

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Yep.  I used to forget my cigar holder clipped on the cart stanchion.  My buddies have done that too.  I went through 3 of them before it became second nature.  Thankfully, they were cheap. 

Maybe that's the underlying reason why I won't buy a cell phone holder for golf cart, and leave my cell phone in my back pocket during play.  Also, have a Garmin Approach Z82 Laser/GPS and Fenix 6X Pro on my wrist 24/7.  Most of the time I leave z82 in its carry bag attached to the side of my golf bag, and rely on 6X accuracy; can't forget it cause it's on my wrist.... LOL

At my old course they had a rail by the bag drop with at least 10 of those cigar holders clipped on at the time. When they closed they had a box full and I got me 4 or 5. On the range finder I carry mine in the cup holder on the cart. The case I have a carbiner clip on it and attach to the D ring on my bag. That reminds me to get my range finder because I keep it in the case in the bag.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

6 hours ago, btwhite7 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea of putting my keys in the case but I may just leave it in my bag/case from now on. So frustrating...

That being said, I do have a good news update. I initially called the course to see if it had been found and nope, no sign. I left my name and number and I just got a call... IT'S BEEN FOUND! Makes me feel good to know there are still honest people around. This was a VERY popular muni course, too. I'm shocked. Heading to pick it up this afternoon. 😆 

It is surprising what gets turned back in.  And what doesn't.  At the course I work at, a Bushnell Pro XE was turned in.  Sat there for a week with no claimers.  A young guy comes in and describes it to a T.  I'm giving to him and he looks at it and says it's not his.  His didn't have a strap on it.  He walked away.  A few days later another guy walks in and describes it - with the strap.  The other guy could have ignored the strap and just claimed it.  Still honest people around.  Even at a muni.

• Like 4

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I used to leave mine behind all the time... Lucky enough it was always turned in... Then my kid lost the nx7... I upgraded to a bushnell and I came up with a bulletproof way not to leave it attached to the cart... I put my car keys in the case and throw the case in the cart... Pretty hard to get in the car in the car with no keys...

I ride so I put a folded white towel in the cubby hole in front of my seat. That way, anything I put in there stands out. That is where I put my rangefinder and occasionally my phone if I am using a golf app during the round. Where I lost my rangefinder was out on the course on a day it was CPO and I carried a few clubs, my rangefinder and a towel to my ball, leaving the rangefinder behind after the shot. I went back and looked at where I might have left it and it wasn't there and no one turned it in. It wasn't a very expensive one and I picked a real cheap one off of Amazon that works as well as one 3 or 4 times as costly.

I’ve said many times what works well for me. I simply purchase a laser that’s small enough to go in my pocket. No chance of losing it. Plus as others stated I leave my keys in the laser case as a secondary reminder after the round. I use a Bushnell V4 and don’t even know it’s in my pocket during the round. Also this technique works great on cart path only days as I have seen players have to go back to their cart to get their laser. 

• 1 year later...