2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Switching out to a different ball when putting

Got a player in our group that switches out a different ball when putting.  Not sure if I should call that out or not.  Anyone else do this or allow this, or is it fair game to call it out?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Is he posting scores or just someone who plays for fun?

If he's posting scores i'd remind him that this isn't allowed and position it just as "hey , make sure you don't do this in an event or something"

If he's just a weekend dude that plays for fun, wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean you could tell him just for his own knowledge. But i wouldn't care if he wanted to keep doing it

Yes, we all post scores. That's a good idea because we all play MGA's as well.  So maybe letting him know, "hey, you may do that here, but don't try doing that in an MGA, it's not allowed". Maybe conscience will get him to stop at that point. Personally I don't care, unless that is some kind of non-conforming trick ball that maintains a line or something.

GHIN Index 12.9

Unless his ball is damaged or he is taking relief from something switching balls mid-hole is against the rules. If you want more info or just to educate yourself start here - https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/topics/golf-ball.html

Now whether or not you want to allow him to do it is up to you. If he is posting these scores then someone definitely needs to say something to him. Would you be okay with him carrying 26 clubs each round and then posting those scores?

If he does it in a competition you can bet your blank that someone is going to call him out on it and penalize him. 

• Like 1

Unless it was a tourney I wouldn’t care.
If you guys are posting scores this isn’t allowed. I’ve never been one to switch balls for putting. I’ve always lost them fast enough that it don’t matter. 

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I play balls I find off the tee on par 4’s/5’s then drop my preferred playing ball (Srixon Z star XV’s) to play the rest of the hole. 

the reasoning is because I lose ~3 balls per round, and, I don’t like losing a $4 ball because I’m an average player. If I play for money, I ask my partner(s) if they mind that I do this. If they mind, I don’t do it. I don’t do this when I play in tournaments or club events, though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

17 minutes ago, Primo1868 said:

I play balls I find off the tee on par 4’s/5’s then drop my preferred playing ball (Srixon Z star XV’s) to play the rest of the hole. 

the reasoning is because I lose ~3 balls per round, and, I don’t like losing a $4 ball because I’m an average player. If I play for money, I ask my partner(s) if they mind that I do this. If they mind, I don’t do it. I don’t do this when I play in tournaments or club events, though. 

I do the same in casual rounds, when I'm not sharp (like with this recent layoff in golf play) I can miss badly off the tee. I'd rather lose the junk ball than the ProV1x in my back pocket off the tee.

• Like 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

24 minutes ago, DON SVO said:

I do the same in casual rounds, when I'm not sharp (like with this recent layoff in golf play) I can miss badly off the tee. I'd rather lose the junk ball than the ProV1x in my back pocket off the tee.

LOL, we have a course where the first hole has OB on both sides. In my casual rounds i'm always teeing off there with a busted up Pro V1, especially if i haven't been to the range yet.

I'm not losing a good ball on the first swing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

LOL, we have a course where the first hole has OB on both sides. In my casual rounds i'm always teeing off there with a busted up Pro V1, especially if i haven't been to the range yet.

Always go with the "worst ball in the bag" off the first tee if I haven't had a warmup. And sometimes if I have.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Back in my junior days  ( balata ) we all used to have a " putting ball "

Balls were expensive and cut easily so it was agreed we would use a good ball for putting 

Otherwise you would be putting a bunch of exposed rubber bands

I remember that.... when I started playing (at ~age 28 in ~1982) I remember ball after ball, 'smiles' all the time complaining about these 'cheap balls', lol.  Must have been my bad swing early on making me make 'smiley factes' on the golf balls....maybe 8 in one round.

• Like 1

GHIN Index 12.9

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of using a "OB" ball when there is OB in play? You shouldn't be surprised if that bad ball goes OB, right? Because you expect the OB ball to go out of bounds.

For casual rounds, I have a separate ball for putting, but it's identical in make/model/year to my tee ball. The only reason I do this is for speed and expediency so I always have a clean ball to putt with and it's one less thing to do before putting. I've just never been a fan of dragging a wet towel onto the green. My buddies all know about this, a lot of them do the same, and none of them have an issue with it. Yeah, technically not within the rules, but hey, I still sleep well at night.

Of course, if I'm in any real sanctioned competition, doing this is not allowed, so I don't do this in that situation.

• Like 4

Not allowed. Have to play same ball thru hole unless damaged. 

I every so often like to play 3-4 different balls just for the fun of it. Never post the score though. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I kind find this to be 'bad luck' - like introducing a non-helpful thought to the mix. 

I am so bad about this that I won't carry two balls in my pocket at any time as thinking I need a 'back-up' could pollute my commitment to the shot I am making. 

• Like 1

Back in my junior golf days, and I kind of hate to admit it because it sounds weird when I verbalize it, but I deliberately worked to get to the point where I could play golf with only one ball in my pocket and no junk balls in the bag.

For me, carrying those extra balls around was a sign of weakness, a clear signal to myself and others that I lacked confidence.

Since then, I generally carry no more than six premium balls in my bag. At my home course it's typically three.

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

6 minutes ago, jholz said:

Back in my junior golf days, and I kind of hate to admit it because it sounds weird when I verbalize it, but I deliberately worked to get to the point where I could play golf with only one ball in my pocket and no junk balls in the bag.

For me, carrying those extra balls around was a sign of weakness, a clear signal to myself and others that I lacked confidence.

Since then, I generally carry no more than six premium balls in my bag. At my home course it's typically three.

As SOP for me at my home course I only carry 6 balls---- Like I have told countless others If I lose more than 6 balls in a round I need to do one of 2 things hit the range or go home---- At this stage of my life it will be more than likely the latter

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

4 minutes ago, jholz said:

Yes I am somewhat the same way. At my home course typically I only carry 3 balls. The other day I realised on the first tee I had no balls in my bag and just had the ball in my pocket. I had time to go to my locker, but I was like 'F-it, I feel good about my game'. I had one of my best rounds of the year and did not lose the ball.

(it is not nearly as heroic/idiotic as it sounds as I was with friends and could borrow a ball and reload at the turn)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Yes I am somewhat the same way. At my home course typically I only carry 3 balls. The other day I realised on the first tee I had no balls in my bag and just had the ball in my pocket. I had time to go to my locker, but I was like 'F-it, I feel good about my game'. I had one of my best rounds of the year and did not lose the ball.

(it is not nearly as heroic/idiotic as it sounds as I was with friends and could borrow a ball and reload at the turn)

LOL I hear you--- The other night we played in the couples 9 and dine and I had not played in two weeks and had no Idea  what I would do. So I used some of the Srixon Marathon balls I had won had like 30 of them. They are a cheap 2 piece ball but pretty good for what they are. Played the whole 9 with one ball. Now Thursday when I played with fellow WRXer Cardoustie I used a Q Star which I also have won quite a few of. I think I did lose one. Friday I was just knocking it around with another guy I know and used the old Marathon and played 18 holes with it. That old Marathon was beat up. I used it for a chance to rag my bud who is one of the owners and one of the pros. I told him as I flipped it to him that those balls were a POS that he ought to be ashamed to give those away as prizes. He did not bat an eye and he asked how many rounds did I have on it? I told him 27 holes. He laughed and said There is no one around here that can play the same ball for 27 holes and not lose it. Now it is in the shag bag. I may put it in the hitting net stock at the house to see just long it would hold up

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I've seen a number of casual guys switch balls from tee to on the green, see people break all kinds of golf rules.  I am pretty sure, in most cases, they don't know the rules, and in some cases, they might, but not care.  Even then, it's not my responsibly to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, unless I am asked.  Personally, I don't carry an extra ball in my pocket, cause I seldom lose balls.

To the OP, NO.  Unless there's a $$$ game or tournament, I don't say anything since it doesn't affect me.  Besides, I don't know if those people have indexes and posting scores or not, and I am not about to question them. 

Golf rules are different from injecting myself in to a situation where a thief/criminal is about to or is breaking the law and I can help stop it.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

25 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Keeping a ball in your pocket because you think you might hit one OB or into the water is a guaranteed way to hit one OB or into the water.

Disagree. I've always got my standard six-pack in my bag, with two of them always in my pocket - one that I tee up, and one in case a shot goes bad (this is just courtesy, I don't want to have to go back to my bag if I need another ball - however, they are kept in two different pockets, I never switch balls in the middle of a hole).

I'm not that bad a golfer, and quite often play 18 without losing a ball. But I don't care how good someone is, this is golf. I watched a not inconsiderable number of pros plunk it into the water at the Hero last weekend. 

Which brings up the second point, the course - depends on how familiar you are with it, and the nature of the course itself. There are courses I have played many times. Know the distances from just about anywhere my ball winds up. Not only know what the right shot should be, but also know where my miss should be. I rarely lose more than one ball (if any) on these courses.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, if I'm playing a course for the first time blind - especially a links course with a lot of tall grasses, or courses with narrow fairways and a lot of water, etc., I'll carry my standard six, and stick in another sleeve just in case. (There is absolutely no downside to having more balls than you wind up needing, put a pretty huge downside to having less.)

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

30 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've seen a number of casual guys switch balls from tee to on the green.  I see people break all kinds of golf rules.  I am pretty sure, in most cases, they don't know the rules, and in some cases, they might not care about the rules.  Even then, it's not my responsibly to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, unless I am asked.

To the OP, NO.  Unless there's a $$$ game or tournament, I don't say anything since it doesn't affect me.  Besides, I don't know if those people have indexes and posting scores or not. 

Golf rules are different from injecting myself in to a situation where a thief/criminal is about to or is breaking the law and I can help to stop it.

Agree 100%. I walk on as a single a lot (my work schedule is quite erratic, often hard to plan a week in advance, so I often find myself thinking "the afternoon opened up - I can sneak in 18). Means I play a lot with strangers, whomever they stick me with. I never give unsolicited advice, nor mention anything about how they are choosing to play. I personally love the structure the RoG delivers. Strictly adhere even when I'm playing alone (a good score simply wouldn't be nearly as satisfying). 

However, a lot of amateurs partially follow them, or selectively follow them, or pretty much ignore them completely. Either because they don't really care, or (most often) because they don't really know them at anything more than a casual level. Don't have any stats (don't know if they even exist) but I wouldn't be surprised if over half the golfers on a course on any given weekend have never actually read the RoG all the way through. 

Point is, most of the time I just consider what anyone else is doing none of my darn business.

Playing with something an the line, however - a club tournament, charity tournament, or even for skins with friends - is an entirely different story. In that case, I'm positively a rules nazi. Definitely will say something (and for their convenience, I have the USGA Rules of Golf Mobile App on my phone ... 😎)

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

2 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

For casual rounds, I have a separate ball for putting, but it's identical in make/model/year to my tee ball. The only reason I do this is for speed and expediency so I always have a clean ball to putt with and it's one less thing to do before putting. I've just never been a fan of dragging a wet towel onto the green. My buddies all know about this, a lot of them do the same, and none of them have an issue with it. Yeah, technically not within the rules, but hey, I still sleep well at night.

Of course, if I'm in any real sanctioned competition, doing this is not allowed, so I don't do this in that situation.

This is what my regular foursome does too. As long as it is the same model ball you are allowed to swap to a clean ball. 

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

I kind find this to be 'bad luck' - like introducing a non-helpful thought to the mix. 

I am so bad about this that I won't carry two balls in my pocket at any time as thinking I need a 'back-up' could pollute my commitment to the shot I am making. 

Normally it works out for me, i rarely lose balls to be honest. I just hate pulling a brand new ball out on the first hole when there's OB. I'm weird like that

I'm not overly superstitious and am firmly a math guy. But some things, i just am weird with.

Like i won't use a new ball in tournaments. I always pick one that i've used for a few holes in another round. Like it's proven itself already LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Now you've done it.

It won't be long until a ball company makes sleeves with 3 different balls - one for driving, one for iron play and a putting ball. It'll be a new thing.

"Hey, y'all hold on while I go get a putting ball from the cart..."

I think most casual players don't give a hoot about rules like this. 

• Like 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

1 hour ago, bobfoster said:

(There is absolutely no downside to having more balls than you wind up needing, put a pretty huge downside to having less.)

6 balls weight the same as 1 golf club - both at around 3/4lb. If you walk and carry your will notice you bag being 3/4 lb lighter. 

I don't like to carry anything I don't really need as prefer to walk and carry my bag. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1