Switching out to a different ball when putting

I'd have to ask the guy why he was swapping balls. I'd absolutely rib him for it.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

2 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

For casual rounds, I have a separate ball for putting, but it's identical in make/model/year to my tee ball. The only reason I do this is for speed and expediency so I always have a clean ball to putt with and it's one less thing to do before putting. I've just never been a fan of dragging a wet towel onto the green. My buddies all know about this, a lot of them do the same, and none of them have an issue with it. Yeah, technically not within the rules, but hey, I still sleep well at night.

Of course, if I'm in any real sanctioned competition, doing this is not allowed, so I don't do this in that situation.

This is exactly what I do, for the same reason, and nobody ever cares. The balls are always from the same package, and usually from the same sleeve. It's not a competitive advantage; it just keeps me from needing to take a towel to the green in a casual round.

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

10 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

6 balls weight the same as 1 golf club - both at around 3/4lb. If you walk and carry you will notice you bag being 3/4 lb lighter. 

I don't like to carry anything I don't really need as prefer to walk and carry my bag. 

Think this is more psychological than actual. I walk a lot. The weight of a fully loaded carry bag averages 28 - 30 pounds. The difference between a bag with six balls instead of three is so miniscule as to be virtually unnoticeable. I'll bet if I filled two identical bags with two identical sets of clubs, and just varied them by putting three balls in one a six in the other, few people could pick them up and even tell the difference. Three balls are about 5 oz ... anyone that could discern a 5 oz difference in a 30 pound (i.e., 480 oz.) bag should work for the US Bureau of Weights and Measures ... 😉 - it is about a 1% difference).

Psychologically its a huge deal however. Have a friends that are in the minimalist camp like you - one that is really extreme. Makes fun of me because (oh no, say it isn't so!) I have two towels (one wet and one dry) instead of one. He'll actually go so far as to take the rain cover out of his bag if there's no chance of rain. It is how he gets in his mental zone.

Also know folks on the Rodney Dangerfield end of the spectrum - everything but the kitchen sink. Their comfort zone is to feel like they are prepared for every possible contingency. (In truth, however, most of those guys ride with cart bags, they don't walk.) Have a friend that wouldn't consider leaving the house without at least a dozen balls. He's actually a pretty good golfer, commonly shoots in the 80s - if I asked him, I doubt he could even remember ever actually using all 12 balls. Point is, it is also purely mental - he'd feel "unprepared" with less than 12.

Once someone is good enough to have a fairly consistent game in terms of strokes, a great deal of golf is mental. Sometimes verging on the superstitious. I'm halfway between the extremes personally. If I only started with three (even on an easy course with little trouble) it would get in my head if I lost even a single ball - I'd probably instinctually play more conservatively for the rest of the round. If I started with 12, I'd feel like I was jinxing myself. 

Part of playing well is feeling like one is ready to play well, and that is a pretty individual thing.

Ha! This is probably absurd levels of minutiae - but what the heck. Golf season is over, what else is there to talk about hahahahaha. 

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

54 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Now you've done it.

It won't be long until a ball company makes sleeves with 3 different balls - one for driving, one for iron play and a putting ball. It'll be a new thing.

"Hey, y'all hold on while I go get a putting ball from the cart..."

I think most casual players don't give a hoot about rules like this. 

Pretty sure most casual golfers don't even know about rules like this.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Think this is more psychological than actual. I walk a lot. The weight of a fully loaded carry bag averages 28 - 30 pounds. The difference between a bag with six balls instead of three is so miniscule as to be virtually unnoticeable. I'll bet if I filled two identical bags with two identical sets of clubs, and just varied them by putting three balls in one a six in the other, few people could pick them up and even tell the difference. Three balls are about 5 oz ... anyone that could discern a 5 oz difference in a 30 pound (i.e., 480 oz.) bag should work for the US Bureau of Weights and Measures ... 😉 - it is about a 1% difference).

Psychologically its a huge deal however. Have a friends that are in the minimalist camp like you - one that is really extreme. Makes fun of me because (oh no, say it isn't so!) I have two towels (one wet and one dry) instead of one. He'll actually go so far as to take the rain cover out of his bag if there's no chance of rain. It is how he gets in his mental zone.

Also know folks on the Rodney Dangerfield end of the spectrum - everything but the kitchen sink. Their comfort zone is to feel like they are prepared for every possible contingency. (In truth, however, most of those guys ride with cart bags, they don't walk.) Have a friend that wouldn't consider leaving the house without at least a dozen balls. He's actually a pretty good golfer, commonly shoots in the 80s - if I asked him, I doubt he could even remember ever actually using all 12 balls. Point is, it is also purely mental - he'd feel "unprepared" with less than 12.

Once someone is good enough to have a fairly consistent game in terms of strokes, a great deal of golf is mental. Sometimes verging on the superstitious. I'm halfway between the extremes personally. If I only started with three (even on an easy course with little trouble) it would get in my head if I lost even a single ball - I'd probably instinctually play more conservatively for the rest of the round. If I started with 12, I'd feel like I was jinxing myself. 

Part of playing well is feeling like one is ready to play well, and that is a pretty individual thing.

Ha! This is probably absurd levels of minutiae - but what the heck. Golf season is over, what else is there to talk about hahahahaha. 

I think people carry way too much if they are getting to 30lbs. I am defiantly in the minimalist camp. My summer bag comes in under  20lbs - but I am very focussed on keeping it light and carry the absolute minimum (no phone, wallet or anything I don't need).

Bag - 2.9lbs

Clubs - 15.4lbs (with head covers)

Towel - 4.3 oz

Balls (3) - 5 oz

Range Finder - 6 oz

A few tee's and extra ball marker and spare battery - 2oz

Optional - Water if needed- 16oz

Could I notice 3 more balls - likely not. Would  I notice 6 more. For sure. 

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

As SOP for me at my home course I only carry 6 balls---- Like I have told countless others If I lose more than 6 balls in a round I need to do one of 2 things hit the range or go home---- At this stage of my life it will be more than likely the latter

That's exactly it. If I lose six balls in a round, I might as well quit right there. That's - at a minimum - twelve added strokes. My scores can't handle that. I can't handle that. Therefore, I don't do that.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Yes I am somewhat the same way. At my home course typically I only carry 3 balls. The other day I realised on the first tee I had no balls in my bag and just had the ball in my pocket. I had time to go to my locker, but I was like 'F-it, I feel good about my game'. I had one of my best rounds of the year and did not lose the ball.

(it is not nearly as heroic/idiotic as it sounds as I was with friends and could borrow a ball and reload at the turn

That's the kind of confidence that I like and admire. Any round you finish with the same ball you started with is a victory. If you can do that, you've accomplished something in this crazy game.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

11 hours ago, bulls9999 said:

Yes, we all post scores. That's a good idea because we all play MGA's as well.  So maybe letting him know, "hey, you may do that here, but don't try doing that in an MGA, it's not allowed". Maybe conscience will get him to stop at that point. Personally I don't care, unless that is some kind of non-conforming trick ball that maintains a line or something.

If hes submitting scores to his USGA handicap then thats absolutely illegal. Why would he be doing this? Id be questioning the ball hes using off the tee. Ive played with a guy who used a Polara ball in a comp and was disqualified. 

16 hours ago, bulls9999 said:

Got a player in our group that switches out a different ball when putting.  Not sure if I should call that out or not.  Anyone else do this or allow this, or is it fair game to call it out?

I suppose folks can do what they wish. If you’re playing in one of our groups, the commentary might go something like this: “We aren’t sure what game you are playing but we are playing golf in this group. If you wish to continue playing golf with us, stick to the rules of the game.” This may sound harsh to some of the posters on this website, but the rules are meant to “protect” everyone, thus maintaining the integrity of the game. 

Our guys are good players who joke, laugh, and generally have fun, but everyone is playing by the rules of golf. In my 24-years at our club, I can only think of one guy who was black-balled from playing in our group due to “bending the rules”. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 9:17 AM, bulls9999 said:

Yes, we all post scores. That's a good idea because we all play MGA's as well.  So maybe letting him know, "hey, you may do that here, but don't try doing that in an MGA, it's not allowed". Maybe conscience will get him to stop at that point. Personally I don't care, unless that is some kind of non-conforming trick ball that maintains a line or something.

You could also point out to him that if it's helping him putt better then he's really lowering his handicap which would hurt him in competitions by having to use that lower cap.

Just a remind: any time you take relief, whether for 1 or 2 penalty strokes or free relief, you are permitted to change balls.  Preferred lies, unplayable ball, cart path, etc all permit changing the ball (except if forbidden by Local Rule, a rarity). 

So, if you miss the one foot putt and the ball rolls downhill into the nearby sand bunker, simply call 'unplayable', place a new shiny ball back on that one foot spot and try again, add one penalty stroke.

Now here's a Rules Q: ball OB but easily retrievable so you pick it up.  Must you play that ball or can you substitute a new one?  If ball were in the red PA and you picked it up for a drop then yes, you could substitute a new ball, coz that's 'relief'.  I'm not so sure about the OB case. I don't know if 'relief' is the correct word for an OB ball. However, seems like a YES to me but i'm often wrong, and have been told so.

3 hours ago, jobin said:

Just a remind: any time you take relief, whether for 1 or 2 penalty strokes or free relief, you are permitted to change balls.  Preferred lies, unplayable ball, cart path, etc all permit changing the ball (except if forbidden by Local Rule, a rarity). 

So, if you miss the one foot putt and the ball rolls downhill into the nearby sand bunker, simply call 'unplayable', place a new shiny ball back on that one foot spot and try again, add one penalty stroke.

Now here's a Rules Q: ball OB but easily retrievable so you pick it up.  Must you play that ball or can you substitute a new one?  If ball were in the red PA and you picked it up for a drop then yes, you could substitute a new ball, coz that's 'relief'.  I'm not so sure about the OB case. I don't know if 'relief' is the correct word for an OB ball. However, seems like a YES to me but i'm often wrong, and have been told so.

If the ball is OB, then yes you can replace it. Typically you would hit a provisional with a different ball as it is a stroke and distance penalty. (or you can walk back to where you last hit after retrieving your OB ball) unless of course local rule E5 is in place.

Edited by 2bGood

8 hours ago, jobin said:

....... Now here's a Rules Q: ball OB but easily retrievable so you pick it up.  Must you play that ball or can you substitute a new one?  If ball were in the red PA and you picked it up for a drop then yes, you could substitute a new ball, coz that's 'relief'.  I'm not so sure about the OB case. I don't know if 'relief' is the correct word for an OB ball. However, seems like a YES to me but i'm often wrong, and have been told so.

See Rule 6.3a

On 12/7/2021 at 11:01 PM, Pepperturbo said:

I've seen a number of casual guys switch balls from tee to on the green, see people break all kinds of golf rules.  I am pretty sure, in most cases, they don't know the rules, and in some cases, they might, but not care.  Even then, it's not my responsibly to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, unless I am asked.  Personally, I don't carry an extra ball in my pocket, cause I seldom lose balls.

To the OP, NO.  Unless there's a $$$ game or tournament, I don't say anything since it doesn't affect me.  Besides, I don't know if those people have indexes and posting scores or not, and I am not about to question them. 

Golf rules are different from injecting myself in to a situation where a thief/criminal is about to or is breaking the law and I can help stop it.

I am in a different camp than Pepper, I always ask people whether they know if it is allowed to do what they do, and without exception they are pleased to hear if they are doing something wrong. I start by saying 'on a social round like this you may do whatever you like but if I were you I would not do that in a competition or on a round to be posted'. I am the one people come to ask the questions about Rules at my club so I feel it is my responsibility to help all the club members to improve their knowledge even without them asking. Has worked well for many years now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jobin said:

As you must put a new ball in play after having hit your previous ball OB you are free to use any (conforming) ball you like.

And to simplify the 1st part of your previous post: any time you are required to drop a ball you are allowed to change it. Teeing a ball is always optional when playing from the Teeing Area but ruleswise it is 'equal' to dropping. And when you add Preferred Lies to the list you have covered every situation where you may change your ball.

Edited by Mr. Bean

9 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I am in a different camp than Pepper, I always ask people whether they know if it is allowed to do what they do, and without exception they are pleased to hear if they are doing something wrong. I start by saying 'on a social round like this you may do whatever you like but if I were you I would not do that in a competition or on a round to be posted'. I am the one people come to ask the questions about Rules at my club so I feel it is my responsibility to help all the club members to improve their knowledge even without them asking. Has worked well for many years now.

Do what you like. 

FYI, at one of my last clubs, members came to the BOD asking how to handle a person doing what you say everyone likes.  In other words, they smiled at the rule's broadcaster, but didn't care for it, one bit, but didn't want to create a scene.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

FYI, at one of my last clubs, members came to the BOD asking how to handle a person doing what you say everyone likes.  In other words, they smiled at the rule's broadcaster, but didn't care for it, one bit, but didn't want to create a scene.

Well, people are different in different countries. And in different clubs. And and and...

I just wonder why adult persons need to get advice from the BOD how to handle situations between other adult persons. In my country adults know how to do that. Maybe it is something taught in school. Or at home. Beats me...

Oh, btw, what were the actions of the BOD? And what was the outcome?

Edited by Mr. Bean

On 12/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, 2bGood said:

I think people carry way too much if they are getting to 30lbs. I am defiantly in the minimalist camp. My summer bag comes in under  20lbs - but I am very focussed on keeping it light and carry the absolute minimum (no phone, wallet or anything I don't need).

Bag - 2.9lbs

Clubs - 15.4lbs (with head covers)

Towel - 4.3 oz

Balls (3) - 5 oz

Range Finder - 6 oz

A few tee's and extra ball marker and spare battery - 2oz

Optional - Water if needed- 16oz

Could I notice 3 more balls - likely not. Would  I notice 6 more. For sure. 

That’s me when I carry. And I’m also like the guy BobFoster mentioned….if there is no chance of rain I’m even taking out the rain cover. No water, one small towel (if I remember it), and often I’ll even leave the rangefinder and just use the GPS watch (so I do have the phone in my back pocket). The bag is almost empty. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Well, people are different in different countries. And in different clubs. And and and...

I just wonder why adult persons need to get advice from the BOD how to handle situations between other adult persons. In my country adults know how to do that. Maybe it is something taught in school. Or at home. Beats me...

Oh, btw, what were the actions of the BOD? And what was the outcome?

Why?  I have been around the world nearly 2 times, and in nearly every country in the EU, plus my family is from the old Eastern bloc area.

A great deal of people don't like to cause friction, and if accomplished, they tend not to assume.  Possibly why so many people view threads on Golfwrx, but seldom post a retort even if they disagree with what was read.

Furthermore, I played Interclub match competition which necessitated traveling to other private clubs.  Team members that were on the BOD and or membership committees often were invited back to meet that clubs leadership team to discuss/learn different ways of handling various issues.  You'd be surprised, topics you'd never think would be topics. LOL.  Like one "celebrity" member choosing to change shoes in the parking lot, not the locker room.  There is NO one answer to all, action depended on who was involved, and their history.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Why?  I have been around the world nearly 2 times, and in nearly every country in the EU, plus my family is from the old Eastern bloc area.

A great deal of people don't like to cause friction, and if accomplished, they tend not to assume.  Possibly why so many people view threads on Golfwrx, but seldom post a retort even if they disagree with what was read.

Furthermore, I played Interclub match competition which necessitated traveling to other private clubs.  Team members that were on the BOD and or membership committees often were invited back to meet that clubs leadership team to discuss/learn different ways of handling various issues.  You'd be surprised, topics you'd never think would be topics. LOL.  Like one "celebrity" member choosing to change shoes in the parking lot, not the locker room.  There is NO one answer to all, action depended on who was involved, and their history.

I am afraid I have no clue what you are talking about. I simply asked what were the actions by the BOD if any. I could not care less where you have been or not have been.

Edited by Mr. Bean
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have been around the world nearly 2 times, and in nearly every country in the EU, plus my family is from the old Eastern bloc area.

What did you learn? About people on a golf course taking advice, I mean. As you have visited so many countries in Europe you must have learned something. Tell me what you learned country by country. Are there differences? What kind of differences?

Edited by Mr. Bean

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

What did you learn? About people on a golf course taking advice, I mean. As you have visited so many countries in Europe you must have learned something. Tell me what you learned country by country. Are there differences? What kind of differences?

You have a good day.

• Sad 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 12/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, 2bGood said:

Yes I am somewhat the same way. At my home course typically I only carry 3 balls. The other day I realised on the first tee I had no balls in my bag and just had the ball in my pocket. I had time to go to my locker, but I was like 'F-it, I feel good about my game'. I had one of my best rounds of the year and did not lose the ball.

(it is not nearly as heroic/idiotic as it sounds as I was with friends and could borrow a ball and reload at the turn)

I went to Palm Springs (CA) for my first ever winter golf trip a few years ago. Brought 9 balls for four rounds.

After three rounds I had one ball left. Who knew there was water everywhere there?

Final round was the Pete Dye course at PGA West. My buddy gave me a few backups, but I managed to keep that one ball in play for the round, posting my best number for the trip. I took a picture of the ball after the round, stupidly happy.

20 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

As you must put a new ball in play after having hit your previous ball OB you are free to use any (conforming) ball you like.....

Just  in case  "new ball"  is misunderstood,  Mr Bean isn't saying that you have to put a different ball into play from the one you put out of bounds.  You may, if the circumstances make it practical, use the ball you were playing with.

3 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

This is another rule that has no reason to exist.   As others have said, if the ball is damaged you replace it.  If it's not damaged, who cares?  It's the SAME TYPE OF BALL!  Why should I care if you change from a PROV1 #4 to a cleaner PROV1 #3?  What advantage is gained?

Which rule are you on about?  The Rule that says you play the same ball all the way from the tee into the hole, except in one of the many specific situations when you are allowed to substitute a different ball?  That doesn't seem particularly onerous to me

• Like 2