Loving My i210's - Quick, Detailed Review

jholz

I won't list all of the different irons I've played in the past 4 years. Some were blades or mb's, some combo's, and one GI. I never really saw much difference in my scoring. I did fine with all of them but never really loved any of them. 

I kept skipping over the 210's. Even though I had a fitting back in 2019 and the fitter liked them for me more than anything else, by a lot. But I had iBlades at the time and wanted something different, so I was dismissing the results I saw.  Dumb. 

I finally dove in recently, just to test them out again and expected a quick sale. These are the only irons I've ever played and thought after a few rounds they may be with me for several seasons.  The only flaw I've found is the offset on the 4, 5 and maybe the 6. I just wasn't used to it, but they're incredibly easy to hit and the 4 iron may now be my favorite of the set.  No longer an issue for me. I'm obsessed with them and the results. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, scottaz said:

I won't list all of the different irons I've played in the past 4 years. Some were blades or mb's, some combo's, and one GI. I never really saw much difference in my scoring. I did fine with all of them but never really loved any of them. 

I kept skipping over the 210's. Even though I had a fitting back in 2019 and the fitter liked them for me more than anything else, by a lot. But I had iBlades at the time and wanted something different, so I was dismissing the results I saw.  Dumb. 

I finally dove in recently, just to test them out again and expected a quick sale. These are the only irons I've ever played and thought after a few rounds they may be with me for several seasons.  The only flaw I've found is the offset on the 4, 5 and maybe the 6. I just wasn't used to it, but they're incredibly easy to hit and the 4 iron may now be my favorite of the set.  No longer an issue for me. I'm obsessed with them and the results. 

Yeah, the long iron offset is definitely part of that traditional Ping "Game Improvement" DNA and it's one of the things - like sole width, blade length, etc. - that always had me shying away from them too.

I really wanted a used set of S series irons, but the price on brand new i210s sold me.

Even though I think the 210s mitigate the GI looks to a large degree, you can't deny they are there. Indeed, the higher you go in the bag, the more those qualities are evident. But, theoretically, that's where we all could benefit from the help.

I mean, I know I'm a sloppy ball striker. I wish I wasn't, but them's the breaks. As such, I'll take some offset and chunky soles to help me along the way. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Besides, the results just can't be argued with.  

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

5 minutes ago, jholz said:

Yeah, the long iron offset is definitely part of that traditional Ping "Game Improvement" DNA and it's one of the things - like sole width, blade length, etc. - that always had me shying away from them too.

I really wanted a used set of S series irons, but the price on brand new i210s sold me.

Even though I think the 210s mitigate the GI looks to a large degree, you can't deny they are there. Indeed, the higher you go in the bag, the more those qualities are evident. But, theoretically, that's where we all could benefit from the help.

I mean, I know I'm a sloppy ball striker. I wish I wasn't, but them's the breaks. As such, I'll take some offset and chunky soles to help me along the way. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Besides, the results just can't be argued with.  

Ordered a solo i210 6i....one of my better decisions 

I can see the hype & as @jholz mentioned- hitting these things on a rope is the key

• Like 1

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

Good write-up.  The i210 are incredible irons.  Look great, feel great, forgiving.  I have them with the same Steelfiber i110 R flex I have in my G425 irons.  Power spec.

I am a mid-capper, so the G425 are a bit more appropriate for my game.  That rears its head every now and then with a mishit with my i210's, which can be frustrating.  That said, the i210 is a classic that will always be in the mix for me, if not my primary set.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F3

Cobra King SpeedZone 14.5* 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

I just picked up a set. I’m coming from MP20 blades, but have a soft spot for Ping irons. A buddy of these picked these up and was kind enough to sell them to me for a good deal when he went a different direction. I was mainly interested in trying an iron with a bit wider sole and extra bounce, as I have been working through some swing changes and wanted to simplify the work via additional forgiveness. 

Full disclosure - this is my second set of the i210s. The first set had dgs300 105 shafts, and anything in the s300 line is just a bad fit for me. Like you, I moved into regular flex iron shafts last year after playing mostly x-stiff for the last 15 years (the prior i210s were part of my early “failed” attempts to try a softer flex shaft).  I’ve only played 9 holes so far, but the results are promising. Sound and feel are soft and satisfying, albeit different than forged. I seem to have picked up a tad bit of effortless distance in comparison to the blades - especially in the  long irons. The larger hitting area gives me a bit of confidence while I groove this new move.

I’m looking forward to putting more work in with them and will keep an eye on this thread in the meantime. 

BTW - I can’t recommend the regular flex shafts enough. I typically play DGR400 in my main gamer set (MP32s currently out for rechroming). The “tour” weight let’s me feel the head through the swing, but, with the lighter flex, I can play “comfortable” golf hitting the requisite shots instead of working to load the shaft. I haven’t felt like I’ve overpowered them on any full swings, but can easily back off for those finesse shots when needed. I’m still playing (and loving) my HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 in the driver, but will not stray from regular flex in the irons any time soon. 

Edited by BCULAW
  • Like 2

I just ordered my 4th set of i210 last night. Every time I get them I’m reminded very quickly why I love them so much. They are just incredibly consistent. I’ve searched and searched for something ‘better’ and after God knows how many sets I’ve realized there currently isn’t anything better for me. Every time I get them I swear I’m keeping them. Then I’m swindled by something new and shiny. Not this time though lol they’re staying!! 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're happy with them. I've had mine in the bag for 3 seasons and they always beat out experiments/long-term tests with G425, Cobra Forged Tec OL, and Mizuno 921 SEL. They're just so good.

I thought about selling them when my i59's came in, and no doubt they would have gone quickly given the wait times for some people, but I just can't do it.

• Like 2

Signature!

DRIVER: Ping G425 Max 10.5° Aldila Rogue 70S

4W: G425 17.5° @ 16.5° | GD AD DI 7S

4H: G425 22° @ 23° | Ping Tour 85R

IRONS: Ping i59 5-PW | Modus 105S

WEDGES: Ping Glide Forged Pro 50.10 | Modus 105S / Ping Glide Forged Pro 54.10 & 58.10 | DG S400 TI

PUTTER: Ping 2021 Anser | KBS CT TOUR

Sold my i210's last year for Zx7s.  Love the Zx7s, but bought another set of i210s.  Will start off using the i210 this spring.  I love the extra power and forged feel of the Zx7, but feel like the i210s are just so pinpoint on yardages.  I especially love the i210s from 8i-pw.  I do like the Zx7 7i-5i better though.  I just want precision when I'm in scoring range.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I just picked up a set. I’m coming from MP20 blades, but have a soft spot for Ping irons. A buddy of these picked these up and was kind enough to sell them to me for a good deal when he went a different direction. I was mainly interested in trying an iron with a bit wider sole and extra bounce, as I have been working through some swing changes and wanted to simplify the work via additional forgiveness. 

Full disclosure - this is my second set of the i210s. The first set had dgs300 105 shafts, and anything in the s300 line is just a bad fit for me. Like you, I moved into regular flex iron shafts last year after playing mostly x-stiff for the last 15 years (the prior i210s were part of my early “failed” attempts to try a softer flex shaft).  I’ve only played 9 holes so far, but the results are promising. Sound and feel are soft and satisfying, albeit different than forged. I seem to have picked up a tad bit of effortless distance in comparison to the blades - especially in the  long irons. The larger hitting area gives me a bit of confidence while I groove this new move.

I’m looking forward to putting more work in with them and will keep an eye on this thread in the meantime. 

BTW - I can’t recommend the regular flex shafts enough. I typically play DGR400 in my main gamer set (MP32s currently out for rechroming). The “tour” weight let’s me feel the head through the swing, but, with the lighter flex, I can play “comfortable” golf hitting the requisite shots instead of working to load the shaft. I haven’t felt like I’ve overpowered them on any full swings, but can easily back off for those finesse shots when needed. I’m still playing (and loving) my HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 in the driver, but will not stray from regular flex in the irons any time soon. 

Obviously, we all get hung up on the Flex rating waaaaaay too much. Deep down, I think we all realize that the letter or number the manufacturer puts on the shaft is completely arbitrary. 

It sucks for the average consumer, but I think all of us would benefit from testing shafts more and being open to pretty much anything. You never know what might work best for you. 

or
or

1 hour ago, realmfg said:

Sold my i210's last year for Zx7s.  Love the Zx7s, but bought another set of i210s.  Will start off using the i210 this spring.  I love the extra power and forged feel of the Zx7, but feel like the i210s are just so pinpoint on yardages.  I especially love the i210s from 8i-pw.  I do like the Zx7 7i-5i better though.  I just want precision when I'm in scoring range.  

Sounds like WRX to me. How about a Srixon/Ping combo set? I'm sure it would turn some heads on the range!

• Like 1

or
or

Interesting take on the benefits of hitting these with a flatter trajectory.  I have noticed that the misses tend to be on the short side for well hit balls. Will have to try it out in the spring.  Thanks!

• Like 2

TM Sim Max, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

21 hours ago, jholz said:

But, as I've gotten more comfortable with them, I've noticed that they want to be hit a bit differently than my previous irons (CG7 Tours) - and many other irons in this particular segment of the market, in fact. Even though the i210's are clearly in the Players/GI category, the higher VCOG is really more "muscle back" in it's design. As a result, they want to hit shots on a flat trajectory and you just have to swing them a bit differently than the typical iron in this category. 

Curious what change with swing you did?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

Curious what change with swing you did?

A good question...I will do my best to explain. 

Essentially, I'm just trying to hit a slightly lower shot.

I'm not moving ball position in the stance or anything, but just focusing on trapping the ball at contact with good forward shaft lean. It's like hitting that low shot under the tree branches (we've all been there right?) but not over accentuating it by moving the ball back in the stance and abbreviating the follow through.

It's a very subtle difference, but I've found this swing and contact tends to focus energy on a more horizontal plane rather than vertical - i.e. that flatter trajectory I mentioned. 

With the way the i210s are designed, you can get away with hitting that lower trajectory shot - the club head is going to give you the height and spin you need. You don't have to help it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

or
or

I'm a high ball, high spin player and have had zero issues with distance or spin with these compared to the same lofts in other irons, and it's been chilly/windy most rounds. I have the same shafts (x100's) in them as most of my previous sets. The gapping, and especially distance control is perfect. Super easy to flight them down, when needed.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottaz said:

I'm a high ball, high spin player and have had zero issues with distance or spin with these compared to the same lofts in other irons, and it's been chilly/windy most rounds. I have the same shafts (x100's) in them as most of my previous sets. The gapping, and especially distance control is perfect. Super easy to flight them down, when needed.      

I assume from the name that you are down in the South West and perhaps dealing with some firm turf conditions. 

I heard a few folks down in Texas complain about turf interaction with the i210s on really firm fairways. 

What has your experience been?

I'm in the mid-atlantic, so essentially hitting every shot out of mud, and I can't speak to those concerns. 

or
or

21 minutes ago, scottaz said:

I'm in Pa, and my club is normally on the wet side. But we've been very dry for a while and the course is firm right now.

I don't take much of a divot. Just mow the lawn a bit, so not the best to answer this one.         

My bad man, the AZ at the end of your name had me thinking Scottsdale or something - but you're actually not too far from me.

All I can say is I hope you aren't a Steelers fan. Tough game last week. 😀

• Haha 1

or
or

Well written prose......Viktor has similar thoughts as he went from a tease of i59s back to i210s.....Cameron Champ did something like this also.

The i210 head is truly a unicorn of a set.....better looking than a lot of sets with tons of forgiveness yet the small enough ; thin enough topline to appeal to even top level Professionals. 

I went through a period in which I wanted the i210s since inception but never pulled the trigger.......in fact I tried iblades due to size of i210s.....go figure.....the iblade feel is actually worse IMHO than i210s but that's another story. 

So my chase continued for a combo/or combo like set .....I tried with moderate success Srixon zx5/ zx7 but I succumbed to the off-putting feel differences.....

Then I went T200s.......unfortunately it was much of the same.....long irons are too "clacky" 

My research lead me to the i210s: same feel(solid and great)  from 4i to U wedge, THE absolute most consistent flight and spin combination I've ever hit with boatloads of forgiveness.  

This past year has been an outstanding scoring year for me......almost every round below 76 and on average 13 GIR's.....if I made more putts ......I digress 

As an example my last round I hit 10 balls inside 10ft yet only made 3 for bird😔

Even though I'm auditioning P760s,  the i210's aren't going anywhere......that's just not happening when you have something this reliable.....don't be a WRX'er......stow these away for that rainy day of despair.  

Sorry for semi thread jack but I must extol the qualities of the PING i210s! 

• Like 2

Besides the blueprint... all ping irons like gi to me.. the soles and overall head shapes seem huge.. like at least normal gi size. They dont seem players irony to me. So to be that big and say they are easy to hit?? Well they should be.. they are gi sized. To be fair their are plenty of blades that are very easy to hit if you are somewhat decent like a 80s shooter. I am not a fast swinger and i play blades and small players irons that give me the same distance if not better then when i played gi irons. Not saying they are bad irons... just my observation. Play what you like and play good with. Ive noticed a difference... mines is i play better with smaller more "tough to hit" irons. Ive only shot in 70s once a 79 this year for comparison... i average about  86.

14 hours ago, jholz said:

I heard a few folks down in Texas complain about turf interaction with the i210s on really firm fairways. 

That higher CG is what's kept me from trying the i210.  Though I'm a little steeper due to my shorter arms, and a higher CG isn't horrible for me, I'm still a bit leery.

And I'm not getting any younger.  LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

51 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That higher CG is what's kept me from trying the i210.  Though I'm a little steeper due to my shorter arms, and a higher CG isn't horrible for me, I'm still a bit leery.

And I'm not getting any younger.  LOL

I think most complainers are a hitting up on the ball type swing.  If you hit down through the ball - you'll be fine. I'm also a picker & play dormant Bermuda. Only when I try to launch the ball, from a real tight fairway lie , does the bounce come into play

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

24 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

I think most complainers are a hitting up on the ball type swing.  If you hit down through the ball - you'll be fine. I'm also a picker & play dormant Bermuda. Only when I try to launch the ball, from a real tight fairway lie , does the bounce come into play

I like bounce, not worried about that.  It's the CG.  

Even with negative bounce, that's a really high CG.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

8 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Besides the blueprint... all ping irons like gi to me.. the soles and overall head shapes seem huge.. like at least normal gi size. They dont seem players irony to me. So to be that big and say they are easy to hit?? Well they should be.. they are gi sized. To be fair their are plenty of blades that are very easy to hit if you are somewhat decent like a 80s shooter. I am not a fast swinger and i play blades and small players irons that give me the same distance if not better then when i played gi irons. Not saying they are bad irons... just my observation. Play what you like and play good with. Ive noticed a difference... mines is i play better with smaller more "tough to hit" irons. Ive only shot in 70s once a 79 this year for comparison... i average about  86.

Some truth sans "S" series.......yes G for sure and some I models ......for the most part the current I series have been progressive sets.....I'm auditioning P760s and while smaller visually to i210s,  they don't seem much more difficult to hit.....results have been very similar but P760s just feel better......all depends and your point in life and needs but I now have to sets that sorta do everything I need while looking and feeling good ......finding proper shafts is also a key as mentioned above! 

i210 were one of my favorite irons I ever gamed.  They lasted 2 seasons in my bag, and that is no small accomplishment.  If I can find a set in good condition with X100s I'd even consider re-bagging them.  The sole is a little thick for my taste, but the usual results were excellent.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4,5; P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG3 50 SB, 54 SB, 58 LB

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021) / TaylorMade Spider X 

Vessel Player 3 DXR / Vessel VLS DXR