Rotisserie Chicken questions

golfortennis

So got a new bbq this summer, with a rotisserie attachment, so am planning to get going.  I think I have most things covered off, but the one thing I am unsure of is, what to do when I take the spit off the bbq.

Given that it's cold here now, I don't want to leave the chicken outside to cool for very long.  I'm thinking a cutting board will be fine to put the chicken on, inside the door, but do I need to worry about stuff dripping from beyond the chicken?  Will the spit be too hot to bring inside?  

Just trying to figure out the back end of this.  I'm likely overthinking this, but, measure twice, cut once, y'know?

So, is it appropriate to ask random rotisserie chicken questions here?

...because I have a lot of them.

I mean, what happens to all the rotisserie chickens Costco fails to sell on a daily basis?

Is there a repository someplace? Are they feeding them to pigs like Las Vegas buffet waste? Launching them into space with Jeff Bezos?

Seriously, where do they go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 minutes ago, jholz said:

So, is it appropriate to ask random rotisserie chicken questions here?

...because I have a lot of them.

I mean, what happens to all the rotisserie chickens Costco fails to sell on a daily basis?

Is there a repository someplace? Are they feeding them to pigs like Las Vegas buffet waste? Launching them into space with Jeff Bezos?

Seriously, where do they go?

I believe it's okay as long as their wrapped. 

Food Banks unused go to. Probably other uses at store also. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

39 minutes ago, Qqq123xx said:

I believe it's okay as long as their wrapped. 

Food Banks unused go to. Probably other uses at store also. 

I'm totally joking, of course. Couldn't resist given the thread title.

But yes, I'm sure today's rotisserie chicken is tomorrow's chicken salad at Costco. 

When I buy one from the local Safeway, I've essentially got three meals covered. Chicken, starch, and veg the first night. Then stock and meat for risotto and chicken and dumplings (or whatever), somewhere down the road.

I happen to handle all the cooking in my household.

• Like 1

or
or

I used to like the chicken at Costco. It was like free at $4.99 each. I asked the guy making them if he knew how many they sold in a day. He said he knew precisely - 600 per day with almost no waste because they have it down to a science how many they sell on each day of a year.

They started getting greedy at my Costco and increased the temperature to try to cook more. Now they’re really dark on the outside and almost raw on the inside.

But that doesn’t stop people. What’s a little diarrhea when it’s only $4.99?

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I used to like the chicken at Costco. It was like free at $4.99 each. I asked the guy making them if he knew how many they sold in a day. He said he knew precisely - 600 per day with almost no waste because they have it down to a science how many they sell on each day of a year.

They started getting greedy at my Costco and increased the temperature to try to cook more. Now they’re really dark on the outside and almost raw on the inside.

But that doesn’t stop people. What’s a little diarrhea when it’s only $4.99?

I know retail is like anything else - in the sense that you can study it and know, precisely, how much of a given product you can sell on a given day - but nonetheless, I always find it slightly astounding. 

Such a random set of variables - or are they? The mind boggles...

Ok, after about 2 seconds of thought, I'm ready to claim that the capitalist mind control machine is REAL - and it's compelling us to buy rotisserie chickens on a set schedule so that Costco can establish a world government. 

Wake up sheeple!!!!

Look forward for more on my youtube channel. 😀

• Like 2

or
or

35 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I actually worked the chicken room at Coscto a few years back (2 years ago?) for a couple of weeks... long story, but I made $15 an hour roasting chickens...

Here are some thoughts from that time:

1. They take food safety seriously. Like really seriously. There is a checklist. People check the checklist daily. There were no shortcuts in my store. Cleanliness, safety and process were all there... it was not a joke. We calibrated the thermometers every morning, and pulled the chicken when they were consistently reading in the safe zone. I've worked enough food jobs to know when a place takes food safety seriously. Costco is one of those places. 

2. Unsold chickens are shredded and put in the cooler. Basically we picked apart the chickens after 2 hours and then packed away the meat. I believe it's now for sale in the fridges right across from the room. 

3. Dropped or ruined chickens are put elsewhere. Basically a huge trashcan. I was told they go to get converted into dog food. There was a whole 40 gallon trashcan filled with frozen chicken remains. It wasn't THAT gross.

4. The chickens come pre frozen in boxes. I forget how many per box... They had these custom skewers that we put them on... cleaning them at night was fun! Fresh skewer for every batch... The basic process was: Get 3-4 boxes from the freezer, bring them into the raw chicken room. Skewer all the chickens and put them on a rack (3-4 chickens per skewer, 6-8 skewers per over, if I remember correctly)... wheel the skewer cart into the cooking chicken room... put them into whatever oven is empty, then start the cooking process... test for doneness after 30 mins or so... record the temperature of the chicken...

5. We weren't told how many chickens to cook... seemed like it was mostly by experience. I never advanced to running the chicken room by myself.

6. I haven't had a chicken from Costco since. Not due to fear... just... I cooked a lot of chicken. 

7. I cooked a ton of chicken in 2 weeks. Literally. 2,200 lbs of chicken. I did the math. It's hard work. 

Overall, I have nothing BAD to say about my time as a chicken cook at costco... it's manual labor with raw meat... the grease clean up at the end of the day is probably the worst part. 

Wow! Thanks for the insight!

I worked in restaurants for many, many years and my father was in industrial food production. They've got to sell all those chickens without anyone getting sick. It isn't an easy thing to do. Gotta be very careful!

• Like 1

or
or

42 minutes ago, jholz said:

Wow! Thanks for the insight!

I worked in restaurants for many, many years and my father was in industrial food production. They've got to sell all those chickens without anyone getting sick. It isn't an easy thing to do. Gotta be very careful!

They had a process… honestly, it led to drier birds and safer people… I’m a lot more liberal with temperature at home!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I have a rotisserie chicken related question. Around Easter time the farms near us sell baby chickens, roadside signs say $5 per baby chicken, I am guessing they are no more than a week old and have probably had some sort of inoculations. A rotisserie chicken in the store has been given the same inoculation at hatching, plus food, shelter, care and I’m guessing more Rx for 6 months or so, then sold to someone who processed it, then sold to a wholesaler, then sold to a retailer who then prepares it, packages it and sells it for ……..$5.  How are these two chickens the same price?

On 12/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, jholz said:

I know retail is like anything else - in the sense that you can study it and know, precisely, how much of a given product you can sell on a given day - but nonetheless, I always find it slightly astounding. 

Such a random set of variables - or are they? The mind boggles...

Ok, after about 2 seconds of thought, I'm ready to claim that the capitalist mind control machine is REAL - and it's compelling us to buy rotisserie chickens on a set schedule so that Costco can establish a world government. 

Wake up sheeple!!!!

Look forward for more on my youtube channel. 😀

Honestly I’d be ok with a Costco rotisserie chicken government. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

I have a rotisserie chicken related question. Around Easter time the farms near us sell baby chickens, roadside signs say $5 per baby chicken, I am guessing they are no more than a week old and have probably had some sort of inoculations. A rotisserie chicken in the store has been given the same inoculation at hatching, plus food, shelter, care and I’m guessing more Rx for 6 months or so, then sold to someone who processed it, then sold to a wholesaler, then sold to a retailer who then prepares it, packages it and sells it for ……..$5.  How are these two chickens the same price?

Costco's chickens are a loss leader. They allegedly lose $30-40 million a YEAR to keep the chickens at that price

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra RadSpeed 9.0* Ventus Blue 7X

3w:         Cobra RadSpeed 14.5* /  Ventus Blue 7X

Utility   Srixon ZX 18* / Ventus Black HB 10TX
Irons:      Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW / Project X LS 6.5
Wedges:  Mizuno T20 Raw 50, 54, 58 / Project X LS 6.0

Putter:    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

15 hours ago, rooski said:

Costco's chickens are a loss leader. They allegedly lose $30-40 million a YEAR to keep the chickens at that price

Not sure I buy that reported loss. Leftover cooked chickens get their meat striped and put into pot pies and pasta dishes. The carcass is used to make gravy for the pot pie. 

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

20 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Not sure I buy that reported loss. Leftover cooked chickens get their meat striped and put into pot pies and pasta dishes. The carcass is used to make gravy for the pot pie. 

While the number seems high, you've got to factor in the associated costs.  It isn't just the birds.  Its' the packaging, labor, machines, power, dedicated square-footage etc.  

Food cost is never just the product itself.

• Like 2