Best clubmaking outside of your typical proshop

conan007

I'm looking into reshafting a set of irons (heads) in the near future. I have experience building clubs, but currently do not have access to equipment. I'm wondering if there is a place that someone  can recommend where they do the full works. I'd like a to make sure they do a good job getting the proper swing weight right, and a finish the ferrules accordingly. Sometimes it can be a hit or miss finding a good clubmaker at the local GG, or PGA shop. So I'd rather shell out the money, and send the heads to be best possible clubmaker. Any ideas? I have all the specs. and would like to ship them directly. I know people that have been fitted at hot stix, and club champions, but I would not mind getting some suggestions. Thanks in advance, and it is good to be back!

• Like 1

Just do it yourself. I don't even have a workbench or a vice but I've put clubs together, adjusted swing weight, turned ferrules and installed grips. The only "club making" tools I have is a heat gun, torch and swing weight scale. If you already have experience building clubs it shouldn't be hard. 

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                           Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                             4i - PING i210

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 19*H Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                      5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

4i - Titleist U-500 Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                                   6i - Titleist T100

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff                                                              7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff                                                                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 54*/12* bent to 55*/13* stock shaft S Grind                                                  9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 60*/8* stock shaft Eye 2 Grind                                                                        PW - Srixon ZX-7

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft                                                                                  GW - Wilson Staff CB

Snell MTB-Black

You want to ship them to be built?  I would also get in touch with Jim at McGolf (he has a youtube channel and shares build info). Folks seem to send him things to fix/build all the time. Jim's a pro. No affiliation other than appreciating how he has shared tricks for us hobbyist types. As a hobbyist I lack the pro tools to finish ferrules on a belt so I will never win a beauty contest with my personal acetone and rag treatments 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bvanlieu said:

As a hobbyist I lack the pro tools to finish ferrules on a belt so I will never win a beauty contest with my personal acetone and rag treatments 🙂 

I have a small bench top vice on the corner of my tiny workbench and I spent $100 on a Golfworks graphite extractor. My ferrules are done with 220 grit and acetone. Seems legit. 🤣

Taylormade M6 D Type driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

A cheap combo belt-sander and disc-grinder ( about $100-$120 ) is a must-have in my home golf shop.  I use it to grind to perfection my shaft lengths, tip weights, tip prepping, and ferrule-turning with an appropriate belt.

sander.jpg

Edited by ARL67

WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw