Best Reduced Taper Grips?

mjf34g

Looking for recommendations for Reduced Taper grips. Been using JumboMax Str8 Midsize Ultra Lites but thinking about going back to a std midsize grip. The Jumbo Max worked out great generally however I think the size of them hindered my short game feel. 

I've used GP Tour Velvet Plus4's previous but was looking for other alternatives. 

Taylormade 10.5* Sim Max Accra FX 3.0 250
Ping G410 16.5* 4 Wood

Ping G25 7 Wood

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro's 5 thru UW
Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Custom Compass Golf "Fang"

42 minutes ago, mjf34g said:

Looking for recommendations for Reduced Taper grips. Been using JumboMax Str8 Midsize Ultra Lites but thinking about going back to a std midsize grip. The Jumbo Max worked out great generally however I think the size of them hindered my short game feel. 

I've used GP Tour Velvet Plus4's previous but was looking for other alternatives. 

It depends on if you want non cord, half cord or full cord, but you dont have to look for "+4" grips to find reduced taper, a standard Lamkin crossline or another Lamkin model always had less taper than Golf pride grips.

I play Lamkin Crossline Jumbo myself, because the original Jumbomax model was too heavy, but when i change i will try some of the latest lower weighted jumbo max options.

You can also use "what ever" grip model you like, and use asymmetrical build up to reduce the taper like ive done for years before the +4 models came to the marked. The way i did it made a standard  Golfpride model very close to the later +4 grips, and it only takes 4.5 grams of BU tape to make that, so if that sounds like a good idea for you, just say so and i can provide the info for how to make it. This solution gives you the freedom to use what ever grip model you like, and make the taper as you want it.

• Like 2

If you're sensitive to grip diameter/taper, I urge you to find what works best and use buildup tape to make the diameter/taper you need. This frees you to choose any grip you want as opposed to being locked into a certain one. Also, installing with air, you can install the grip with standard wraps, measure the OD/taper and then apply buildup tape to get exactly what you need. This is how I install all of my grips.

BT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

@Ri_Redneck

Me too.

@mjf34g  The GP Tour Wrap is also a +4 style grip in midsize.  In Jumbo it's darn near straight.  I use the midsize and add 4 wraps under the lower section as Howard mentions.  There is still taper with that buildup.  It's about 0.960" at 2" from the grip cap, and 0.885 to 0.900 at 5", depending on the shaft.  Which I sometimes compensate for and sometimes I don't bother, lol.

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
XR16 5 wood

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby STi irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini extended to arm lock

I'm a fan of the Lamkin Sonars - I love the feel of the rubber compound.  There is a wrap or non-wrap version.   

They also have a Crossline reduced taper that is sold exclusively through Golfworks.

• Like 4

Callaway Mav SZ 10.5° - Aldila Rogue White 60
Titleist 915 fairway 15° - Aldila Tour Blue 75

Ping G410 Crossover (2) - Nippon Modus 105
Taylormade P790 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey SM8 49° & 54° SM4 59° - Nippon 1050gh
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 CTR

OP have your tried the X-Smalls ?

I'm a longtime CP2 Wrap Mid-size player, but recently received a few Jumbomax STR8 Ultralite Medium and 1 X-Small.  After a couple Sim sessions, I think the Mediums may be too large for my liking, but the X-Small offers a nice, but not too much, increase in diameter over my usual CP2 Mids.  I find the STR8 X-Small noticeably smaller than the Mediums. 

WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

4 hours ago, pcs11 said:

I'm a fan of the Lamkin Sonars - I love the feel of the rubber compound.  There is a wrap or non-wrap version.   

They also have a Crossline reduced taper that is sold exclusively through Golfworks.

Me too.  I went from Tour Velvet midsize to Sonar + in regular and have the same feel with a reduced top hand size which is helpful with oversized shaft butts.  I've used the non-wrap version in both standard configuration and ribbed calibrate version.  I prefer the non-ribbed version.

• Like 1

If Albert Einstein thought golf was too complicated, what chance do we have?

TM RBZ Black 12°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

Ping G30 26°

Adams Idea 32°

TM M2 38°/43.5°

Cleveland CBX 50°/56°

I'd be inclined to try a leather grip from Grip Master or Best Grips. Not only are they reduced taper they often come in lighter than a typical midsize or +4 style option. 

For what it's worth I'm not a fan of the MCC +4s. I find the bottom hand to be mushy/squishy, and would much prefer to build up with tape than go that route. 

I was going to say the Jumbomax St8 grips but if you already tried those so if you like the concept but just need a smaller grip the the GripOne grips might better for the size of your hands as they are a midsize grip with no taper and I used to play them until Jumbomax started making the St8 version.  

https://www.golfworks.com/grip-one-non-tapered-oversized-wrap/p/g1ntm/

Try the Lamkin ST Hybrid.  Two wraps on the bottom hand unlike the 4 on the MCC.

Titleist TSi 3, 9* Accra TZ5 55 M3 

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, 16.5* Ventus 4T 6S

Tour Edge Exotics, EXS 220, 21*, Ventus 4T 6S or Ping G425 19* hybrid Tensei Orange

Srixon H85  4H, 22* Hzrdus Black 85, 5.5

Mizuno 921 JPX Hot Metal Pro 5-gw. Steelfiber i110cw ( soft stepped )

Mizuno T22 Copper, 54S & 58D Steelfiber i110 ( 8 iron shaft )

Odyssey OG 2-Ball, Stroke Lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

On 12/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, pcs11 said:

Big fan of these as well. Lamkin's reduced taper "+2" formula has always felt better than the somewhat more exaggerated "+4" thing that Golf Pride does. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant