Another hint at Hogan's secret... merry x'mas n happy 2022 folks!

Just to point you all in the right direction... or in Hogan's case "the left direction" LOL

Study this photo folks. You can see his secret in action. All his power accumulators has been fully released and all of them at their "maximum range of motion". Meaning he can't "swing it" any further left even if his life depended on it.

He took out the left so that's where he always swung at with reckless abandonment.

He swung it left with "both his body and his hand action". The secret allowed him to do that... without it put in place, he'd hit a low pull hook everytime.

hogan13.jpg.e3e6c7e3158be1388ad9ae961e80b49e.jpg

It is so much easier and more natural for us human beings to swing left. Both with our body and how we release the hands at the ball. That's why most beginners and high handicappers have the over the top swing path and flip release with the hands. It is just how our biomechanics "react" to the physics of swinging a top heavy weighted object to our sides.

So Hogan's secret was "How he programmed his swing to accommodate the natural human tendencies on swinging a golf club at a sideways target".

Another hint as my X'Mas and new year gift to you fine folks. Cheers n god bless!

Edited by SwagGolf6112
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, last snowstorm said:

cutting left, baby!

cutting left.jpg

Looks like a pic from the Power Golf shoot at Augusta in spring of 1947 … pre secret! He had been cutting it left for years as he had already developed his strong rotational pivot. 

According to Hogan, he found the piece to eliminate the occasional pressure cooker hook later in July of that year and battle tested it at George May’s tournament in Chicago shortly after and won! Hogan also said he was at his best in 1948-49 … post secret, pre accident.

Lots of great aspects to his swing, many present for years. After all, he did win the Vardon Trophy twice In the early 1940s!

Edited by moehogan

7 hours ago, moehogan said:

Swag,

In your pic notice how Hogan’s right forearm is in a relatively neutral position post impact rather than pronated (rotated CCW). Get control of the clubface and you can hit as hard as you want without fear of hooking. How his grip pressured the handle is the key IMO.

Cheers, 

MH

1FFE0F54-574E-4544-A57C-69A744C27175.jpeg

Hello Moe, long time no see sir. Hope all is well. Merry x'mas n happy 2022 to you and your family sir. 

Now let's get serious lol.

Regarding the neutral trail forearm position post impact I am agreeing with you and disagreeing with you at the same time Moe. Here's why...

While you are absolutely correct that the trail forearm of Hogan was in a neutral position post impact even after he "went after it" hard with tons of right arm left to spare and with no fear of hitting the hooks... 

Another factor contributes to this. Which is.....

Biomechanically if one was to raise and rotate the the lead shoulder and lead hip socket up and counter-clockwise the right forearm at it's most pronated will have no choice but to supinate open.... hence the illusion that Hogan trail forearm was in a neutral position. He did not held it there. He released and let it pronated to it's heart content but the momentum of the pivot as the lead shoulder+hip socket goes up and around caused this position on the trail forearm.

To demonstrate my point per this drill

- In the set-up position let your arms hand down naturally from your shoulder sockets and notice the both the lead and trail forearms will be in a very pronated position. That's just human anatomy.

- Next... relax your arms and raise your lead shoulder up to be higher than the trail shoulder

- Next... with your arms still relax and your lead shoulder being raised, now rotate your lead hip up and open....

Voila... trail forearm supinates all by itself with no force or muscalur effort on your part. Pay attention to the trail elbow socket just rotating voluntarily by itself.

So my point still stands that all of Hogan's power aaccumulators has been "fully" released and at it's maximum ranged of motion... and yes Moe you are correct that his right forearm is in a neutral position... but only because of what I just described. 

The grip pressure you talk about is most definitely there. But it is an effect not the cause. I'll even go one step further by saying that grip pressure goes from light to "BOOM" super tight(automatically) the harder he releases his hands and arms at the ball.

But as always, you could be absolutely correct and I might just be wrong as well. Cheers sir!

Now to another very interesting point....

45525333_hogan13.jpg2.jpg.6f56b8f6af961f69f28cf2714ebc6764.jpg

This little fella in the pink circle and his big brother the left shoulder with how it's positioned....

Wonder what that does... 🤫🤫

58 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Hello Moe, long time no see sir. Hope all is well. Merry x'mas n happy 2022 to you and your family sir. 

Now let's get serious lol.

Regarding the neutral trail forearm position post impact I am agreeing with you and disagreeing with you at the same time Moe. Here's why...

While you are absolutely correct that the trail forearm of Hogan was in a neutral position post impact even after he "went after it" hard with tons of right arm left to spare and with no fear of hitting the hooks... 

Another factor contributes to this. Which is.....

Biomechanically if one was to raise and rotate the the lead shoulder and lead hip socket up and counter-clockwise the right forearm at it's most pronated will have no choice but to supinate open.... hence the illusion that Hogan trail forearm was in a neutral position. He did not held it there. He released and let it pronated to it's heart content but the momentum of the pivot as the lead shoulder+hip socket goes up and around caused this position on the trail forearm.

To demonstrate my point per this drill

- In the set-up position let your arms hand down naturally from your shoulder sockets and notice the both the lead and trail forearms will be in a very pronated position. That's just human anatomy.

- Next... relax your arms and raise your lead shoulder up to be higher than the trail shoulder

- Next... with your arms still relax and your lead shoulder being raised, now rotate your lead hip up and open....

Voila... trail forearm supinates all by itself with no force or muscalur effort on your part. Pay attention to the trail elbow socket just rotating voluntarily by itself.

So my point still stands that all of Hogan's power aaccumulators has been "fully" released and at it's maximum ranged of motion... and yes Moe you are correct that his right forearm is in a neutral position... but only because of what I just described. 

The grip pressure you talk about is most definitely there. But it is an effect not the cause. I'll even go one step further by saying that grip pressure goes from light to "BOOM" super tight(automatically) the harder he releases his hands and arms at the ball.

But as always, you could be absolutely correct and I might just be wrong as well. Cheers sir!

Now to another very interesting point....

45525333_hogan13.jpg2.jpg.6f56b8f6af961f69f28cf2714ebc6764.jpg

This little fella in the pink circle and his big brother the left shoulder with how it's positioned....

Wonder what that does... 🤫🤫

Swag,

Best wishes to you and yours as well. Respectfully, I cannot agree with your theory.

First, any torso rotation will cause limp arms to rotate axially in the same direction. So if the left hip is rotating CCW, so will a limp right arm resulting in pronation, not supination. Attempting your drill keeps my fully pronated right arm fully pronated.

Second, Hogan’s right forearm was very slightly pronated at address but he started supinating it and externally rotating his right shoulder in transition and had his entire right arm completely wound CW by P6. He then released PA2 causing the club to tip out and the CCW pivot rotation caused the right forearm to rotate CCW back to neutral by P7. IMO, the use of certain right hand grip pressures is what kept the right forearm from going past neutral until swing forces caused the the finish swivel much later in the follow through. 

Those grip pressures were possibly the idea he had one July evening in 1947 and successfully implemented the next day at the range. No major swing changes required … just an uncanny grip tweak!

Best Regards,

MH

B730F2DB-EFAD-4FE3-A33C-122C4017A3B5.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, moehogan said:

Swag,

Best wishes to you and yours as well. Respectfully, I cannot agree with your theory.

First, any torso rotation will cause limp arms to rotate axially in the same direction. So if the left hip is rotating CCW, so will a limp right arm resulting in pronation, not supination. Attempting your drill keeps my fully pronated right arm fully pronated.

Second, Hogan’s right forearm was very slightly pronated at address but he started supinating it and externally rotating his right shoulder in transition and had his entire right arm completely wound CW by P6. He then released PA2 causing the club to tip out and the CCW pivot rotation caused the right forearm to rotate CCW back to neutral by P7. IMO, the use of certain right hand grip pressures is what kept the right forearm from going past neutral until swing forces caused the the finish swivel much later in the follow through. 

Those grip pressures were possibly the idea he had one July evening in 1947 and successfully implemented the next day at the range. No major swing changes required … just an uncanny grip tweak!

Best Regards,

MH

Hey Moe. Thank you sir.

My bad! I went back and re-read my response to you and found that I left out a very important part of the hip ccw rotation in relations to the shoulders.

What I should have articulated better was as the left hip socket goes up and behind in a ccw direction with force "while the shoulders stays up and stationary or square" the back muscle above the right hip(latissimus dorsi) will be stretched by the movement of the right hip socket towards the stationary right shoulder+right elbow which in turn will rotate the right elbow cw. This effect is more pronounced when marrying the hands as one grips the club. And undeniable in the downswing as the hips pulls everything down per the correct sequence.

As per this image

1444542088_hogandw.jpg.29a37b4b3f2589e4c978a9c061678cf9.jpg

From this stretched and open trail arm position Hogan can let it naturally pronates as hard as he wants without it overpowering his lead arm.

2 hours ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Hey Moe. Thank you sir.

My bad! I went back and re-read my response to you and found that I left out a very important part of the hip ccw rotation in relations to the shoulders.

What I should have articulated better was as the left hip socket goes up and behind in a ccw direction with force "while the shoulders stays up and stationary or square" the back muscle above the right hip(latissimus dorsi) will be stretched by the movement of the right hip socket towards the stationary right shoulder+right elbow which in turn will rotate the right elbow cw. This effect is more pronounced when marrying the hands as one grips the club. And undeniable in the downswing as the hips pulls everything down per the correct sequence.

As per this image

1444542088_hogandw.jpg.29a37b4b3f2589e4c978a9c061678cf9.jpg

From this stretched and open trail arm position Hogan can let it naturally pronates as hard as he wants without it overpowering his lead arm.

Swag, 

Hogan had that that move as far back as the 1930s when he was still hooking it off of the planet (1st pic).

The 2nd pic is also pre-secret.

The 3rd pic is Hogan swinging and actually hitting a ball after his overcooked demonstration.

291F5BB3-11E7-41A7-A1DA-56667EB36DB3.jpeg

E00CDA64-4553-4266-9829-EB250E3662AF.jpeg

208D055D-EBE2-4DE5-8A6E-E0DF9B33A5AF.jpeg

20 hours ago, moehogan said:

Swag, 

Hogan had that that move as far back as the 1930s when he was still hooking it off of the planet (1st pic).

The 2nd pic is also pre-secret.

The 3rd pic is Hogan swinging and actually hitting a ball after his overcooked demonstration.

You are right Moe. But we are merely talking the appearance of his fully released/pronated trail forearm that looks "neutral" at impact and not his actual secret that allowed him to still do the "hooking it off the planet" trail arm move. 

My initial point was simply to say that he cannot hit left even with that fully pronated trail forearm post impact once the secret was put in place.

Now to where you and I differ in our opinions about what that secret actually is...

While you believe that the cw right hand pressure is the cause, I believe it to be merely an effect. And that sir is a beautiful thing about discussing ideas. Cheers sir.

Edited by SwagGolf6112

10 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

You are right Moe. But we are merely talking the appearance of his fully released/pronated trail forearm that looks "neutral" at impact and not his actual secret that allowed him to still do the "hooking it off the planet" trail arm move. 

My initial point was simply to say that he cannot hit left even with that fully pronated trail forearm post impact once the secret was put in place.

Now to where you and I differ in our opinions about what that secret actually is...

While you believe that the cw right hand pressure is the cause, I believe it to be merely an effect. And that sir is a beautiful thing about discussing ideas. Cheers sir.

Swag, in a previous post you wrote … “Biomechanically if one was to raise and rotate the the lead shoulder and lead hip socket up and counter-clockwise the right forearm at it's most pronated will have no choice but to supinate open.... hence the illusion that Hogan trail forearm was in a neutral position. He did not held it there. He released and let it pronated to it's heart content but the momentum of the pivot as the lead shoulder+hip socket goes up and around caused this position on the trail forearm.”

So my point is that he had these moves that you contend were responsible for his post impact neutral right forearm long before July of 1947.  So how can they be the cure for his hook? 

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. It’s all speculation anyway! 😎

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, moehogan said:

Swag, in a previous post you wrote … “Biomechanically if one was to raise and rotate the the lead shoulder and lead hip socket up and counter-clockwise the right forearm at it's most pronated will have no choice but to supinate open.... hence the illusion that Hogan trail forearm was in a neutral position. He did not held it there. He released and let it pronated to it's heart content but the momentum of the pivot as the lead shoulder+hip socket goes up and around caused this position on the trail forearm.”

So my point is that he had these moves that you contend were responsible for his post impact neutral right forearm long before July of 1947.  So how can they be the cure for his hook? 

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. It’s all speculation anyway! 😎

Cheers sir☺️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 6:37 PM, last snowstorm said:

cutting left, baby!

cutting left.jpg

This photo is of a bunker shot, no doubt he swung left but he hit bunker shots with an open stance so it looks exaggerated. 

What it gives away is his secret - passively bent right wrist whilst left is cupping post impact. He keeps the left hand driving via the pivot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hogan swung onto the elbow plane after impact, he didn't stay "left" on the shaft plane, otherwise his shoulders would get too steep and develop scoliosis as a result. Look how Joe Durant levels out his shoulders after impact, by releasing the club above the impact plane. Moe would swing onto the turned shoulder plane after impact as well.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:52 AM, David C said:

This photo is of a bunker shot, no doubt he swung left but he hit bunker shots with an open stance so it looks exaggerated. 

What it gives away is his secret - passively bent right wrist whilst left is cupping post impact. He keeps the left hand driving via the pivot.

I debunk this bunker shot

not a bunker!

cutting left - ZOOMED.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...