Dr Kwon

zacgolf

Brendon kwonified.     https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCZPFQvqmk/

links to dr kwon talk with mike Beaumont.   Over two hours so can chunk up watching if interested.

• Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

59 minutes ago, dblinden said:

While either may work for the right individual, my issue is this has to be confusing to people who are trying to learn or improve. You can't do both.

I think Dr. Kwon nails it in the video: there’s a fine line when doing these drills, and doing them incorrectly won’t help. The other problem I’ve seen is that his stuff can be rather elusive. You’re either deciphering short Instagram clips or paying someone like a Dana Dahlquist who knows what they’re looking for to guide the process. And even when you see it, it seems impossibly simple. Of course, Dana’s not cheap either.

Brendons channel might be the largest platform for getting this information out there so far, and I’m really excited to see what the entire series of videos covers. 

Edited by rondo01

I pass this guy's lab everyday on my way to work. I wish I could just drop in for a quick lesson but that's not what he's about. He's a researcher studying 'elite' golfer swing mechanics, I don't think I quite fall into that category just yet 🤣

http://www.drkwongolf.info/swing_anal.html

Edited by KD1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dblinden said:

I am observing two prevalent, and seemingly divergent, schools of thought regarding recommended swing mechanics. Simplifying, one is leave the arms up and initiate the downswing as all body driven. The second approach is getting the arms to fire sooner and faster with less lower body initiation. While either may work for the right individual, my issue is this has to be confusing to people who are trying to learn or improve. You can't do both.

I think eventually, manually lowering the arms down first to band aid other things teaching will go away. Its a pattern that can work, but it’s what almost every amateur golfer does anyway. 

IMO what Kwon is teaching in this video series is the best way to approach improving a golf swing and increasing speed. I would highly recommend anyone interested to watch this series of videos. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KD1 said:

I pass this guy's lab everyday on my way to work. I wish I could just drop in for a quick lesson but that's not what he's about. He's a researcher studying 'elite' golfer swing mechanics, I don't think I quite fall into that category just yet 🤣

http://www.drkwongolf.info/swing_anal.html

You can schedule a session with dr kwon.  He charges $500 which is used as a donation.   From his Instagram he takes on any level of golfer.    https://www.instagram.com/p/CS2L-0NHApU/      

• Thanks 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

7 minutes ago, KD1 said:

Oh okay, thanks. From the website I linked it said he takes on elite and collegiate golfers. Good to know he's open to all levels.

I wonder if he still provides spandex? 

For men yes.  Here is info from his site.   Have to admit I’m a bit envious of your opportunity being so close.

http://drkwongolf.info/swing_anal.html

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

52 minutes ago, rondo01 said:

I think Dr. Kwon nails it in the video: there’s a fine line when doing these drills, and doing them incorrectly won’t help. The other problem I’ve seen is that his stuff can be rather elusive. You’re either deciphering short Instagram clips or paying someone like a Dana Dahlquist who knows what they’re looking for to guide the process. And even when you see it, it seems impossibly simple. Of course, Dana’s not cheap either.

Brendons channel might be the largest platform for getting this information out there so far, and I’m really excited to see what the entire series of videos covers. 

Yes some of Brendon’s recent video with Dana clearly show the motion influence in Dana’s instruction.    It is also another demonstration of how difficult it is to change established motion patterns as a adult - even though he had some training with Dana about 6 months prior to these videos with dr kwon he still had his upper body arm dominate motion - he clearly got kwonified but time will tell if he can really incorporate this change.     

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I’ve finally been taking in person lessons with a very good local instructor.  I had been trying to work on my swing through YouTube instructional videos, posts on this forum and very occasionally an online lesson.  With my instructor, I first worked on clubface issues and takeaway and then shortening my swing.  Had good results so then we just started working on a better pressure shift (e.g., getting to my lead side earlier with better extension and follow through).  I’ve started incorporating the Dr. Kwon step drills and think they’re helping quite a bit. 

I wonder if I just started with the step drills whether I would have improved my clubface and addressed my inside takeaway issues.  Dr. Kwon suggests that the drills would have done so but I’m not sure.  

BTW, there r a number of other instructional videos focused on ground pressure and sequencing (e.g., Dana Dahlquist, Scott Lynn, Zen Golf, etc).  I found the Dr. Kwon step drills to be a good practical application.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ingster1 said:

I wonder if I just started with the step drills whether I would have improved my clubface and addressed my inside takeaway issues.  Dr. Kwon suggests that the drills would have done so but I’m not sure.  

Great question and unfortunately we won't know the answer. The question I have is: What is an inside takeaway? and What is a poor club face angle? The idea that an inside takeaway is a swing fault is flawed and you will see an extremely wide spectrum of club face angles on tour. I'm not assuming that your takeaway or your club face angle wasn't a hindrance, because it most definitely can be and step drills, as great as they are, will never be a cure all. I will also say that micromanaging the takeaway and/or backswing in general makes it very difficult for many to hit the ball well repeatedly and under pressure. So in mentioning both sides of the spectrum, IMO a dynamic, athletic sequence and should come before all else. If done properly, it will cure many things, but not all things.

3 hours ago, ingster1 said:

I’ve finally been taking in person lessons with a very good local instructor.  I had been trying to work on my swing through YouTube instructional videos, posts on this forum and very occasionally an online lesson.  With my instructor, I first worked on clubface issues and takeaway and then shortening my swing.  Had good results so then we just started working on a better pressure shift (e.g., getting to my lead side earlier with better extension and follow through).  I’ve started incorporating the Dr. Kwon step drills and think they’re helping quite a bit. 

BTW, there r a number of other instructional videos focused on ground pressure and sequencing (e.g., Dana Dahlquist, Scott Lynn, Zen Golf, etc).  I found the Dr. Kwon step drills to be a good practical application.

These videos may address the why on inside takeaway for you - doing stage 0(or sometimes used as 3.5) is a better starting place than the stage 1 steps.   As mentioned by dr kwon, Getting a 5 lb dumb bell and doing rhythmic lead arm swings is good to get body more involved versus too much arms.   As well as starting swing by swinging forward first.

Dana talking inside with lots of same stuff as dr kwon.

more developing rhythm.

If you go back to my post and view brendon kwonified video the last tab has him doing continuous rope swings

here is the band pull where you use your body not arms https://www.instagram.com/p/B_W03fXF0G3/

another simple teaching moment on rhythm.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CIBCS3_F06R/

• Like 2

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

8 hours ago, dblinden said:

I am observing two prevalent, and seemingly divergent, schools of thought regarding recommended swing mechanics. Simplifying, one is leave the arms up and initiate the downswing as all body driven. The second approach is getting the arms to fire sooner and faster with less lower body initiation. While either may work for the right individual, my issue is this has to be confusing to people who are trying to learn or improve. You can't do both.

Interesting videos. Body swinging the arms plus using quickness and momentum are right out of Mike Austin's playbook. He hated dropping the left arm or swinging the arms independently from the torso. 

Edited by Zitlow
  • Like 1

Think the videos are excellent. By happenstance I've been working on earlier transition of hips and a lead side pull that's more dominant. It's been a real positive, especially on longer clubs. Very similar to what Dr. Kwon talks about in both clips. So pretty good validation. Interesting on the activated body for the back swing. Good stuff.

13 hours ago, rondo01 said:

i was watching the videos last night and started doing the step drills, but kept wondering if i am doing them correctly. like you said, it looks simple enough, but I have no idea if im doing it correctly. Hopefully the additional videos will shed some light on it.

8 minutes ago, yoose said:

i was watching the videos last night and started doing the step drills, but kept wondering if i am doing them correctly. like you said, it looks simple enough, but I have no idea if im doing it correctly. Hopefully the additional videos will shed some light on it.

Have you seen this demo of the step drills?

31 minutes ago, yoose said:

Thanks. I have, I think it is from before his visit to Dr. Kwon. In it he basically said he took screenshots off of Dr kwons instagram videos to check the positions instead of following actual instructions.

Thanks, is that video where you got the drills that you are doing from? 

LOL It is often difficult to know if drills are being done correctly and I have lots of experience doing various drills incorrectly.  Have you shot some video to see what your drills look like?  

15 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Thanks, is that video where you got the drills that you are doing from? 

LOL It is often difficult to know if drills are being done correctly and I have lots of experience doing various drills incorrectly.  Have you shot some video to see what your drills look like?  

No, I forgot which video exactly it was, but it was with a student and then I also looked at some of his instagram posts so no idea if im doing it right 😂. it does feel similar to using a board like Zen Golf Mechanic has some of their students do with the rocking back and forth. Hopefully it helps more than it hurts

• Like 1

12 hours ago, glk said:

These videos may address the why on inside takeaway for you - doing stage 0(or sometimes used as 3.5) is a better starting place than the stage 1 steps.   As mentioned by dr kwon, Getting a 5 lb dumb bell and doing rhythmic lead arm swings is good to get body more involved versus too much arms.   As well as starting swing by swinging forward first.

Dana talking inside with lots of same stuff as dr kwon.

more developing rhythm.

If you go back to my post and view brendon kwonified video the last tab has him doing continuous rope swings

here is the band pull where you use your body not arms https://www.instagram.com/p/B_W03fXF0G3/

another simple teaching moment on rhythm.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CIBCS3_F06R/

Thanks for pulling these together - much appreciated.

AMG sells a speed series on their website which includes the step drills and other drills to create more speed and a better path. They make reference to Dr. Kwon when they present the step drills. It seems that their methods overall are heavily influenced by Dr. Kwon.

Edited by Golfbeat
  • Like 3

doing the step drill made me realize that I'm pretty much an arm swinger. There are other vids of the step drill per Dr. K method that can help somewhat. 

Once I used the Lag 7i and my orange whip training aid, doing the step drill,  I can get a sense what needs to be done, hopefully. Swinging the club more with the body felt so easy on my upper back muscles. I'm currently playing with an upper back pain, especially on my right lat muscles and after doing the drill.....

side note: I already had some back pain before I started trying the step drill, and my dumbarse did not stretch out or take meds.... yet, this happened.

I gained club head speed with really good smash (factor) with irons and driver - I'm getting more turn, a wider swing back and through, but in control/balanced.  No joke, I gained over 8 mph with driver and about 3 +/- with irons. MOST importantly, I'm not even sore after 1.5 hrs on the mat. No CBD, No pain meds, and No problem getting out of bed this morning and putting on my uniform. I normally take a day or two to recover, and I'm ready to go at it again right now.

Side note: with my back pains I went from 95-98 mph to 89 to 95 mph, and 1 to 2 days to recover. Last night, I started from 97mph up to 104 mph towards the end of my session. I average 100.4 with 1.47 sf. I was rather shocked.

The feeling of not using my arms so much is such a different feeling. It'll take time to get to get "armless" lol. Anyway, With irons the contact seems more crisper and effortless. This maybe like playing poker for the first time and cashing in.... I will see what comes of this.. I'm like Leonard Nimoy, "in search of" that effortless pain free natural (for me) swing. After decades of playing, this positional golf is not for me....

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PoeKingShankspeare said:

doing the step drill made me realize that I'm pretty much an arm swinger. There are other vids of the step drill per Dr. K method that can help somewhat. 

Once I used the Lag 7i and my orange whip training aid, doing the step drill,  I can get a sense what needs to be done, hopefully. Swinging the club more with the body felt so easy on my upper back muscles. I'm currently playing with an upper back pain, especially on my right lat muscles and after doing the drill.....

side note: I already had some back pain before I started trying the step drill, and my dumbarse did not stretch out or take meds.... yet, this happened.

I gained club head speed with really good smash (factor) with irons and driver - I'm getting more turn, a wider swing back and through, but in control/balanced.  No joke, I gained over 8 mph with driver and about 3 +/- with irons. MOST importantly, I'm not even sore after 1.5 hrs on the mat. No CBD, No pain meds, and No problem getting out of bed this morning and putting on my uniform. I normally take a day or two to recover, and I'm ready to go at it again right now.

Side note: with my back pains I went from 95-98 mph to 89 to 95 mph, and 1 to 2 days to recover. Last night, I started from 97mph up to 104 mph towards the end of my session. I average 100.4 with 1.47 sf. I was rather shocked.

The feeling of not using my arms so much is such a different feeling. It'll take time to get to get "armless" lol. Anyway, With irons the contact seems more crisper and effortless. This maybe like playing poker for the first time and cashing in.... I will see what comes of this.. I'm like Leonard Nimoy, "in search of" that effortless pain free natural (for me) swing. After decades of playing, this positional golf is not for me....

Muscle Activation Technique changed my life regarding back pain.  Here is my thread on the subject:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, airjammer said:

From Brendon’s videos..Dr Kwon basically said you will not do the drills correctly. The only one that we would you will probably do correctly is the old shawn clement elephant walk drill in essence. 

I think that from written instruction most drills will not be done correctly.  

I noticed that Dr. Kwon corrects Bredon's version of a drill at the end of this video:

LOL are we on the same page here?

Here is the issue that nobody seems to be able to answer for free is wrist conditions. All of Dana’s students have flat left wrists at the top…imo his students may be throwing their arms up with their body but the wrist conditions are manipulated. So obviously you can’t have relaxed arms and wrists while just throwing your arms behind you..there has to be some structure there. I asked the wrist conditions question and Brenden replied he need to get kwon and jon sinclair together..what that means I don’t know. 

I’ve always hit the ball very very well with the step drills but I have never been able to replicate that into nonstep swings. I’ve even played rounds with just doing step swings and played fine not great. The problem for me Is that the size of the steps vary greatly while on the course so my timing varies greatly. I’ve been recently on a gasp system and my pressures are fine in my swings so the step drills are really different as far as pressures are concerned. There is a feeling that I have always felt doing the step swings but I’ve never been able to feel where the power source when it relates to my arms came from until this week. In my course swing my arms get trapped by my outracing chest and hips…the step swing I can pull my arms back in front of me because I have something braced to pull from. This week I felt and realized that in my step swing I pull from a braced or what feels like tensed up left leg. 

It reminded me of a old baseball conversation I had with a old high school coach that was a former player just helping out. He threw close to 90 and I was a junk pitcher that topped out close to 70. We had a conversation one day where he told me he was using his lead leg once it was planted to pull the rest of the body thru the pitch. He said he even felt pull in his lead ankle. I never gave it much thought until this week. 

Sorry for the rambling 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1