Dr Kwon

zacgolf

One thing that I wonder about with Dr. Kwon's approach is what if Dr. Wright is correct in his lower to upper core swing theory?  What Dr. Kwon is teaching appears to be lower core to my eye which means that it might not be optimum for a high percentage of golfers per Larry Rinker's 'Wright Balance' assessments that have been done on a lot of golfers.   Or possibly Dr. Kwon adjusts his teaching a bit depending on the student?  Whew, I have no idea...

LOL I would love to see Rinker get a lesson from Dr. Kwon!  I would pay real money to watch that video!

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 7:09 PM, Nels55 said:

I think that watching someone else get a lesson is the best form of video instruction.  For me watching the student make a swing that looks pretty good and then seeing the instructor shake his head and make a correction really helps to get the concept across. 

LOL also I noticed that the young lady swinging at the end of the Stage 2 video seems to have some pretty good club head speed.  Possibly even up there with the typical wrx'r?

I like watching Brenden’s video  He’s always introducing a new concept to solve the his old same swing flaw  and it’s interesting to watch a new spin or explanation. After a while I get the feeling it’s more a clever way to sell his brand   You would have thought he  solved  his issues after 50+ lessons    

• Like 3

Just watched the initial video…really interesting thread. 

I’d love to get away from an arms dominated backswing. I feel that’s one of the reasons why my head drops so low on takeaway & backswing…arms pulling back brings my head down & limits turn. 

when I did initial practice step drill I felt I got much taller swinging body from the momentum & really felt like I was driving straight down into ground at start. Really liked the feel of it 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

How does Brendon get any better with a different coach every week? Just curious.

I’d say half the fun for him is meeting all the people and diving into the philosophies, not mastering one approach. The channel would be very different and pretty bland if he stuck to one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, glk said:

Some snaps of Brendon old swing then swing when he gets it - stage 1 video   So swing around 4:40 then at 14:xx.   Stating the obvious, Dr. kwon has a pretty good eye after seeing, I'm imagine, thousands of swings.

First is old. so old p3 new p3, old p4 new p4, etc.

At p3 can see the difference in a more active backswing.  Better shift onto right foot and more torso turn.

1377580410_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_52_22PM.png.e6b94821802fe2725049ff8f5d5e7d7e.png1556393464_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_53_02PM.png.6034b5d80841e347874141dea7a55e31.png

Then at p4 (i attempted to catch the last frame before the hands start moving down)

Again big difference in turn - can really see that right scapula.  Left shoulder more protracted.   No ball and taking steps so no good reference point but this would be the end of recentering.

1540223839_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_52_29PM.png.4f476cc46f98f4cbc8d63e79e59b8857.png1238308919_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_53_10PM.png.b5129e422e39e2ca0af0deb65d3797fe.png

Then P5.  Can see Brendon more open - see more of right shoulder, he is leaning his spine toward the target, he is looking in front of the ball.   he's dropping and shifting (kinda leaning toward the target)  while trying to swing arms down.   Hard to add axis tilt from here to have driver flat spot.    Better his spine is pretty vertical

1102473760_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_52_36PM.png.f1b32083f6730279188e4455729e90b5.png1269326001_ScreenShot2021-12-26at3_53_14PM.png.e0476d25d1c90897e804c5c8ebf157fa.png

In this era of stacked upper and lower, some would actually favor the before p5 of the two which is crazy to me. That’s another topic. Sometimes when teachers share before and after of good players on social media it’s impossible to tell which is the before and after. It’s sometimes just two different sets of preferences. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, Hilts1969 said:

I wouldn't pay 2k or 500 dollars for a step drill which has been around for ever. If you have poor arm and wrist structure you can step all day long, hell you could be Fred Astaire. I particularly like the you must see me or you will step incorrectly part. Almost like they are selling something.

Brendon is most definitely selling something. However, I gather from Kwon's website the $500 sessions are donations to the University and not payments to him. I have a problem with donating to TWU seeing as how they decided to turn their golf course into a parking lot a couple years ago.

8 minutes ago, RobertBaron said:

I’m really digging this series of videos with Dr Kwon but my only issue right now is we’ve only seen basically practice swings. I’m hoping there will be some video upcoming where Brendon actually hits a ball. 

that’s always the true test of any real swing change. 

The true test!  There are several levels to hitting the ball I think:

1) First in this case is doing the no ball drills and then transferring the new move to actual ball striking:

2) Hitting the ball in the practice area with the instructor there. 

3) Hitting  the ball in a practice area with no instructor. 

4) Hitting the ball while playing a nice relaxed round with friends. 

5) Hitting the ball in tournament conditions.

6) Hitting the ball a month or a year or more later with the new move ingrained.

For the hard to change body movement I have never really been past 2 since my first set of lessons 40 years ago and usually get stuck on number 1.  LOL I have a rather ingrained body movement that is not optimal but lets me hit the ball and changing it so far at least seems to be impossible no matter how many drills I do.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobertBaron said:

I’m really digging this series of videos with Dr Kwon but my only issue right now is we’ve only seen basically practice swings. I’m hoping there will be some video upcoming where Brendon actually hits a ball. 

that’s always the true test of any real swing change. 

And puts scorecards in? 

I like this series, best he's done to me. Most of the latest guys you see out there talking about sequence and GRF are using Kwon studies. 

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Interesting videos and all makes sense. 

However I notice that all of the posts on Kwon's IG page show the golfer swinging a driver. 

Is this because it's the best way to learn the flow and pattern that he teaches? Or is he only teaching driver swing? 

Presumably the same principles he teaches applies to iron swing as well, but he only seems to have his students swinging driver

Chris como did a swing expedition episode with dr. Kwon

some takeaways

develop vertical rhythm first via the band drill

then develop horizontal rhythm without a club , the shift,rotate,shift,rotate, which also uses the vertical rhythm.

can use this rhythm with stepping toward target or away, again without a club, or with a weight

then use rope

then he has single arm drills, lead arm with club starting resting on trail shoulder

and last the 2 step drills.

they also went thru his 3D motion capture and force plate stuff with the software dr kwon developed

can take a 7day trial of golfpass or find it on a rerun of golf channel.

• Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, pusb365 said:

Is this because it's the best way to learn the flow and pattern that he teaches? Or is he only teaching driver swing?

Certainly provides an exaggeration which can be toned down for smaller clubs; also eliminates ground contact which means students can focus solely on movement patterns

13 minutes ago, pusb365 said:

To be fair to him it was back in the early days of his channel when he would interrupt/talk over. 

He's taken the feedback on board and learned from it, can't say fairer from that. 

I think he does a good job of bringing information from lots of interesting instructors to the masses. 

I’ve only watched a few, he also gets distracted easily I have noticed. The instructor could be teaching an important concept to him and he walks off to get a ball or goes to adjusts cameras, microphones and lights, lol. 

• Like 4