Charlie Woods with a back up Cameron putter of Tiger's - 2021 PNC Championship

21 hours ago, okiekev said:

Really surprised Scotty hasn’t made a Charlie version for him… poor kid having to use hand me downs from dad!

Don Cameron I’m sure is working on inspired by Charlie 

B7FFCB19-FE0C-49F0-9295-388FF2F08EFE.jpeg.38183b4f942d86becaec2d1704ea5625.jpeg

• Haha 1

Driver 8* TMAG Stealth+ Ventus TR 7TX No Tipping  340g build weight 

3w SIM2 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43” 361g build weight 

2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”) 

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” 

Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ DG s400 TI + 1” lie Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ DG s400 TI + 1”  - Lie Angles @63

Putter Bettinardi BB8 Fly-Mill DASS blank trisole - 36" @ 68* Lie angle 2* Loft | Piretti Mid Grip 

hot melt where applicable 🙂 , GP Zcord  & Ping 2018 Hoffer 

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It’s all in Rory’s head.  Spider has zero feel. I tried and I tried.  No feel.  Rory is a feel player. As much as he denies it. He is. Until he learns to putt by feel again , he will continue to be hot or cold.  And struggle .  He isn’t missing putts all over the face. He doesn’t need the high moi deal. 

I think the Spider works well for enough pros to not write it off, unless you just writing it off for Rory. He has been a streaky putter his entire career though, so I don't think it's just a matter of finding a feel and embracing something, I think it just is what it is. Depending on how the future of golf goes, I think Rory could end up going down in that history as a weird transitional player between the more feel based old-school approach (which pretty much peaked with Tiger) and the modern, variable reducing, colder more efficient player of the hypothetical future. I agree what that Rory has to be a feel player though, his swing and mechanics just aren't conducive to a mechanical approach and yet he seems to get stuck sometimes. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR 6TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti 16.5* Ventus Blue 7TX || Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Kuro Kage DCXM Prototype 80TX 
Callaway Apex UW 19* Diamana S+ 100TX || Taylormade P790 Black 19* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95x Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I think the Spider works well for enough pros to not write it off, unless you just writing it off for Rory. He has been a streaky putter his entire career though, so I don't think it's just a matter of finding a feel and embracing something, I think it just is what it is. Depending on how the future of golf goes, I think Rory could end up going down in that history as a weird transitional player between the more feel based old-school approach (which pretty much peaked with Tiger) and the modern, variable reducing, colder more efficient player of the hypothetical future. I agree what that Rory has to be a feel player though, his swing and mechanics just aren't conducive to a mechanical approach and yet he seems to get stuck sometimes. 

I just catch myself watching the 11 us open on YouTube.  I didn’t play or watch golf then. So I missed it. But he putts so purely.  So freely and so much with feel then.  That’s where his true stroke lies.  It’s easy to see.  

i think he swaps back to an anser shape and doesn’t give it enough time.  And it needs to be one minus the TM insert.  Something with feedback for speed and strike.  I love to watch him.  So I do.  And when he putts I examine the misses. And it’s 99 times out 100 speed.  It looks like a misread. But it’s mostly just hit too hard for the line. Which to me is where feel comes in.  

example.  I don’t like to putt with certain balls.  It actually hurts my speed control.  Why ? I think it’s due to sound which is feel .  A very thin grip.  And a clicky ball for me is the best recipe for speed control.  

anyway. I’d just about bet that if you held a gun to him and forced him to snap all the spiders in the tour van.  And handed him a ping anser to his specs.  Inside of a month he’d putt measurably  better.  Inside of a year it would be back to where it was pre Taylormade.  

Edited by bladehunter

Ping G425 max 9* Ventus TR red 6x 

TM Sim2 max tour graphite design ADHD 8x 

Titleist Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist Tsi1 23* Addi 105x 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

Vokey sm7 50 , edel sms 54-c 58-v  MMT 125tx

Cameron 009 GSS 1.5.  Sound slot. , tungsten weights.  Head speed shaft.  

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I just catch myself watching the 11 us open on YouTube.  I didn’t play or watch golf then. So I missed it. But he putts so purely.  So freely and so much with feel then.  That’s where his true stroke lies.  It’s easy to see.  

i think he swaps back to an anser shape and doesn’t give it enough time.  And it needs to be one minus the TM insert.  Something with feedback for speed and strike.  I love to watch him.  So I do.  And when he putts I examine the misses. And it’s 99 times out 100 speed.  It looks like a misread. But it’s mostly just hit too hard for the line. Which to me is where feel comes in.  

example.  I don’t like to putt with certain balls.  It actually hurts my speed control.  Why ? I think it’s due to sound which is feel .  A very thin grip.  And a clicky ball for me is the best recipe for speed control.  

anyway. I’d just about bet that if you held a gun to him and forced him to snap all the spiders in the tour van.  And handed him a ping anser to his specs.  Inside of a month he’d putt measurably  better.  Inside of a year it would be back to where it was pre Taylormade.  

You didn't play golf 10 years ago!!!???? Damn, you fell for the game fast and hard!! 🤣

Edited by braincramp52

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5

Callaway B21 3 wood

Callaway B21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11, Vizard 85R

Ping Glide 54WS,58ES

Ping PLD Anser

Putting to me is about loving what your looking down at and the feel you like. I've found out over the years I can play a putter jam packed with technology but I usually can't stand the size and looks. My lag putting turns to crap with mallets.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5

Callaway B21 3 wood

Callaway B21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11, Vizard 85R

Ping Glide 54WS,58ES

Ping PLD Anser

3 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

You didn't play golf 10 years ago!!!???? Damn, you feel for the game fast and hard!! 🤣

Lol. Nope. 2013ish just before I joined here.   The exact date And time is unknown. 😂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I guess Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Jin Ko, and dozens others should listen to your advice.

TM Spider is the #1 putter played on the PGA Tour AND the LPGA Tour.

Also, Rorys putting stats went from 161st on tour to 20th on tour after switching to Spider. 

Chopper.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cgscratch said:

I guess Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Jin Young Ko, and dozens others should listen to your advice.

Also, Rorys putting stats went from 161st on tour to 20th on tour after switching to Spider. 

Chopper.

Of the four examples you listed (one of which I corrected for you), the two I bolded don't even play TM putters so not sure what kind of point you were trying to make.  I guess you can argue that they both play non-blade style putters but Rahm's is a bit of mid....not exactly the greatest example in my book (although he did of course play the Spider previously).

My interpretation of Blade's last post was simply his opinion of Rory's putting specifically and how that would be affected by forcing him back into a blade.  The "don't you ever question the legitimacy of the TM Spider" defense might have been a bit overboard in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSr2 10*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Ping G410 3H 19*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Cobra Forged Tec x 5-GW, Modus 105s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500)

1 hour ago, cgscratch said:

I guess Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Jin Ko, and dozens others should listen to your advice.

Chopper.

Lol.  I posted my opinion , knowing that a spider lover would melt.  Thanks for not disappointing. 

how many majors he won with it ? 

besides. If you pay close attention. I am more against the insert putter than the spider shape.  It’s a hot face , with not much sound.  A high handicap design to gain speed on mishits.  This man doesn’t subscribe to that ideology with a long iron. Why do it with putter ?  

but anyway.  No need to get your knickers in a twist. You can have your opinion same as I can have mine. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I know it isn't really a fair comparison, but I just find it funny that you read Rory's comments about switching from the Scotty to his Spider and talking about how "on" he had to be to putt with a blade, and then Charlie is just out there draining all sorts of stuff with one of dads backups like...

pimp GIF

That's just Rory head-casing.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 iron/Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 52-08F/56-10S/60-04L PX 6.5/6.0/6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

6 minutes ago, cjlayer30 said:

Anyone get a look at the irons he was hitting? On TV it looked like they might be some P7TWs with some steel milled out of the muscle pad to lighten them up.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

Just watched the highlights of the Sunday round again and while CW was making everything, he had pace on every putt he rolled. Wonder if Big Cat was telling him to be aggressive and take the break out or if he is always rolling it like that. Maybe always which could also mean he has no fear of the 3-5 ft come backers which may be even more telling about his future!

2 hours ago, okiekev said:

Just watched the highlights of the Sunday round again and while CW was making everything, he had pace on every putt he rolled. Wonder if Big Cat was telling him to be aggressive and take the break out or if he is always rolling it like that. Maybe always which could also mean he has no fear of the 3-5 ft come backers which may be even more telling about his future!

Yeah the potential strategy for that format could mean Tiger always wanted to see the ball at least get beyond the hole to see the break, hence Charlie going first and putting very aggressively. Always easier to get a picture of what the ball is doing when it goes 3ft past over 3ft short. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR 6TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti 16.5* Ventus Blue 7TX || Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Kuro Kage DCXM Prototype 80TX 
Callaway Apex UW 19* Diamana S+ 100TX || Taylormade P790 Black 19* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95x Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 12/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, PittShark said:

Of the four examples you listed (one of which I corrected for you), the two I bolded don't even play TM putters so not sure what kind of point you were trying to make.  I guess you can argue that they both play non-blade style putters but Rahm's is a bit of mid....not exactly the greatest example in my book (although he did of course play the Spider previously).

My interpretation of Blade's last post was simply his opinion of Rory's putting specifically and how that would be affected by forcing him back into a blade.  The "don't you ever question the legitimacy of the TM Spider" defense might have been a bit overboard in this case.

Let’s not forget that Dj isn’t using the spider X either, he’s still using his spider tour black. So only one of the four mentioned uses the X, which I found to be inferior to the previous generation for my own game and ditched it for the reasons others have mentioned - I struggled with the lag putts.

Taylormade Sim Max Evenflow Blue
Titleist tsi2 16.5 Tensei blue
Titleist ts3 hybrid 21 with hzrdus smoke
Ping G410 4-UW
Vokey SM8 56°/14° and SM7 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron t22 Newport
Titleist Pro V1/Pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

7 hours ago, scottb15 said:

This may be a dumb question but what is a ysc shaft

It is/was a TT stepped shaft that a lot of good putters had installed eg. Tigers Scotty Cameron Newport 2…… Quite why TT stopped making it I’ll never know. A lot of people credit it with having superior feel to anything else.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, scottb15 said:

This may be a dumb question but what is a ysc shaft

@scottb15: "+1" w.r.t. @corky's reply & explanation to you.
I was also curious, so i found these additional YSC putter shaft discussions on the Golfwrx Forum previous threads (so "paying it forward" here, by sharing with you, if similarly curious!)

This comment by @yawossel has got me itchy to try a YSC!
i.e. "I'd highly recommend trying to get your hands on a true temper YSC shaft...  easily the best feeling steel shaft ive ever used"

2 hours ago, corky said:

It is/was a TT stepped shaft that a lot of good putters had installed eg. Tigers Scotty Cameron Newport 2…… Quite why TT stopped making it I’ll never know. A lot of people credit it with having superior feel to anything else.

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:40 PM, RH82 said:

Even has a rare pistol corded Lamkin grip with the new script.

It looks like a Deep Etched Cord with the new logo where the old logo used to be.  I use the Deep Etched Cord and they're kind of hard to find right now so hopefully Lamkin will get up and running again soon.

15 hours ago, corky said:

And ysc ~$20 , < 400 la golf carbon special 

Driver 8* TMAG Stealth+ Ventus TR 7TX No Tipping  340g build weight 

3w SIM2 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43” 361g build weight 

2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”) 

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” 

Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ DG s400 TI + 1” lie Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ DG s400 TI + 1”  - Lie Angles @63

Putter Bettinardi BB8 Fly-Mill DASS blank trisole - 36" @ 68* Lie angle 2* Loft | Piretti Mid Grip 

hot melt where applicable 🙂 , GP Zcord  & Ping 2018 Hoffer