Why did you change clubs and did it make a difference?

nev adams

Been flip flopping on new clubs, I hit mine fine, but could new clubs really make a difference? Playing JPX 900 forged irons now and I seems to hit them low. ( I actually used MP-20's for a few range sessions and hit them higher) 

While I am getting better and plan to be a 5 handicap next season I wonder if new irons will really help.

What made you get new irons and how did they help?

I get bored easy. I didn't care for the Takomo 101'd I just got, but that was my only "players distance" type iron.

The Byrdie's I bought because I talked smack about the lack of lefties, then they made some. The new Haywood CB/MB's look so good I had to buy both. I will likely blend the set.

Make a difference in my game? Doubt it. But I feel really good about supporting small companies trying to make it that are willing to make lefties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PXG 0211 with Hzrdus Black RDX 60

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

32 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I get bored easy. I didn't care for the Takomo 101'd I just got, but that was my only "players distance" type iron.

The Byrdie's I bought because I talked smack about the lack of lefties, then they made some. The new Haywood CB/MB's look so good I had to buy both. I will likely blend the set.

Make a difference in my game? Doubt it. But I feel really good about supporting small companies trying to make it that are willing to make lefties.

I’ma lefty as well and I just bought Haywood wedges in black. Being Canadian and a lefty their CB/MB set for ‘22 look really intriguing. I want to try before I buy so I know I’m getting the right stuff.

No difference. I had a set of Maltby TS1 irons that I loved. The new Callaway Apex Pros came out and I really liked the look. I was offered a set at a great price and I couldn't resist so I got them. Pretty much the same specs as the Maltby clubs (except 950 Neo shaft in the Callaway and the original 950 shafts in the Maltby). I've been tempted to put the Callaway up for sale to see how much I could get for them but I'd have to buy a new set of irons. My son plays my Maltby TS1s and he isn't giving them back.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (B1) Autoflex SF505                                                       Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* (C4) Tensei Blue(S)                                                         4i - PING i210

5W - Titleist TSi2 18* (B4) Tensei(S)                                                                  5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Titleist TS2 23*H (C1) Tensei Blue(S)                                                                 6i - Titleist T100

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo(S)                                   7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo(S)                                            8i - Callaway X-Forged

SW - Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 54* bent to 55* X Grind                                    9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

LW - Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60*/7*                                                                  PW - Srixon ZX-7

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft                                                    GW - Wilson Staff CB

Vice Pro 

1 hour ago, nev adams said:

I’ma lefty as well and I just bought Haywood wedges in black. Being Canadian and a lefty their CB/MB set for ‘22 look really intriguing. I want to try before I buy so I know I’m getting the right stuff.

Yeah, I got a 48 and 52 wedges after I pre-ordered the irons. So far I really like the wedges, so I'm excited for the irons.

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Struggled to be near my regular course lately,then ten days ago prices went up

So made a career move ,Realtor,to work say a 7 mile wide area finishing um..at a Scenic Golf Course...just got job confirmed so in 2022 looking to play a quick 9 a whole lot more.

Going Classic bag mp62,2002 gbb driver, 2002 tm200 3 wood...

Merry Xmas🧑‍🎄

• Like 2

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Only  Clubs I can say in all my years in golf that helped was my first set of pings in 1981 , only because the clubs I had before weren’t very good. Maybe a putter here or there BUT overall no. Lessons, practice, and playing are way above new equipment. But I love me some new toys.

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally 

Driver Ping G425 Max 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Adam’s Tight Lie 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 17 20 23 degrees 
6-GW PXG 0311 XP G4
52 Degree PXG 0311 wedge 
56 degree PXG 0311 wedge 

Taylormade Spider Tour Black

I changed irons recently for 2 reasons. First the new set fit my eye better, which is subjective but important. Maybe it's some subtlety about offset or lie angle or something I don't care enough about, but they fit my eye better and that's worth something. Second, the last set had shafts that didn't work for me, and it was less work and less expense to get a new set with shafts that fit me better than to order shafts and have them installed. Way less of both.

Woods, same answers, but chasing forgiveness and distance more.

Wedges, gotta fit my eye and have fresh grooves.

Putter - this is the most random of inquiries as to whether something does or doesn't work for you. There are fitting truisms I'm sure and science to the art, but I think it's trial and error and superstition more with a putter than anything else. I also never sell a putter, for the day it might suddenly be the one. I'll give one away, sure, but...

Went on a full club buying spree this past year. All used. I don't do a great job tracking my score, but for sure I have hit a far bigger number of good shots than before. A few of my items have not worked out great (hybrid and a putter come to mind) and others have taken a little time to get comfortable with (3w and gw) but my confidence is much improved and I am enjoying the game a lot more which is really the point

• Like 1

Cobra F6 @10*

TaylorMade M4 3W @15*

Adams Tight Lies 7W @22*

Callaway UT @24*

Miura CB-501, 5-pw

Vokey 8620 Raw, 52 & 58*

Mizuno/ Bettinardi BC-2

15 hours ago, lefthack said:

Tell me more about the 101s

22 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Tell me more about the 101s

They go arrow straight, it's kinda crazy. My issue is I can't seem to feel where on the face I'm hitting it. I look and see a ball mark way out on the toe, look at my ball on the green and shake my head. There aren't many bad shots with them, but the yardage is tough to gauge. At least compared to what I'm used to. They look great both in the bag and at address. It's just the lack of feeling for me is weird. 

Both my Nike Vapor Pro Combos and the VR Pro Combos had RZN goo in a couple of the irons, but I didn't seem to have the same issues with those. That's my only frame of reference for a non solid iron.

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

35 minutes ago, lefthack said:

They go arrow straight, it's kinda crazy. My issue is I can't seem to feel where on the face I'm hitting it. I look and see a ball mark way out on the toe, look at my ball on the green and shake my head. There aren't many bad shots with them, but the yardage is tough to gauge. At least compared to what I'm used to. They look great both in the bag and at address. It's just the lack of feeling for me is weird. 

Both my Nike Vapor Pro Combos and the VR Pro Combos had RZN goo in a couple of the irons, but I didn't seem to have the same issues with those. That's my only frame of reference for a non solid iron.

Sounds about right . I currently have some Maltby STi2 that just spin way to much and 2019 M2s. I like the M2s but I am worried about the face caving in. ( these are the ones without face slots) 

Because every 10 years or so, I realize my golf game has changed, largely due to aging (I'm 71 now).

Circa 2009, I was swinging DG S300 steel shafts in irons, and heavy graphite shafts in woods. But, my distance was falling off/yardsticks stretching. I went to lighter R-flex steel shafts in irons and got fit for a driver. Yardage went back up, and I had a more consistent yardstick within irons.

The past two seasons, it was time to change again. Starting in 2019, I changed out my long clubs, have the current set-up below. For irons, I got a Callaway rep fitting in June, and (finally!) got the MAXs after Labor Day. MAXs have Catalyst 65 5.5 (~70 grams) graphite, and legacy MDs have been reshafted in Catalyst 80CW 6.0 (~85 grams).

Now, much more uniform tempo feel with irons and wedges.

Will need to reserve judgment on "how much better" irons are until 2022 season. Half the fall play rounds were in rainy conditions. Also, I may need to get SwWt raised a bit so I can feel at top.

One thing: decent shots much more consistent on distance; I was having trouble "getting through" the ball with previous heavier steel iron shafts, getting too much distance variance.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I changed because I lost a bunch of muscle and swing speed due to illness…switched shafts in my driver, new 3 wood, new hybrids, old blade irons with regular flex.

yes…made a huge difference…much less effort to make the ball go, ball flight is more consistent, and I am enjoying the game a lot more.

Changed because I got a really good deal on some heads I've always wanted.

Since I'm almost 58, I figured I'd also go graphite, and lighter weight.

My iron play has not really changed at all. I hit the ball a little farther, due to stronger lofts and lighter weight.

My scores have gotten worse, but I think it's mostly due to poor concentration.

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° (Adjusted to 8.5°) - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - ProForce V2 Black 7F4 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2 hybrid - KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 85S OR Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro Wedges (black nitride by Flanigan Bilt) - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S - 52°-10°, 56°-14°, 60°-10°

Grips - Iomic iX Touch 2.0 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

2019 Maxfli Tour - Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

For me, it matters more about the swing I put on the club than the club in my hands.  I'll generally score the same given how much effort I'm currently putting into getting better, which is virtually none, and just go off what ever talent I have for the day. 

But given this is a hobby, why not have toys to play around with.

Cobra LTDx (blue) 10.5* AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-PW Nippon SPB X

Edel 50/54/58 TI S400

Yes Abbie Forged

PV1X/TPX

Sure it made a difference. Smile bigger. Wallet lighter. 

We usually are seeking better performance or just happiness and they can be independent. I am around a 5 cap and can play just about anything and adapt from a blade to a shovel. I seek a bit more forgiveness which is why I have moved to some tech over time. I also have a Sunday set of to my eye, gorgeous Miura CB's including a 4 iron I have no business trying to hit. 

So my advice is to feed what makes you hungry. What a bit more help? Try some tech and get fit for proper shafts so you have correct sequencing. Like bag candy? Send check to Mizuno for some 22x irons as they are the hot sexy this month 🙂

A huge different, I had spent a fortune on all brands and models in a period of 16 yrs playing.  That when I was in early 40s, couldn't pass 150 yds with #5, and been stuck with the 80s hdc.  I finally found a set that allow me to brake the 80s, sometime even par on good days, and most satisfied thing of all is I can reach 150 yds with #8.

Half the fun is trying new stuff, at least for me. To see what sort of shot results I get, if I can hit it more accurately, the feeling at impact.  If I could do Lefty demo days, it would be a little easier on the budget, but maybe less fun.

I tend to play what I like hitting and what looks good. I guess if I kept score or tracked a handicap, the results might matter more. But I play for fun, so fun is most important part of it. Otherwise I would take up shuffleboard or something. 

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

When I picked up golf again in 2018-ish I just grabbed some Wilson game improvement irons not knowing anything about gear at the time. I would hit worm burners, top the ball, miss it completely and no amount of "keep your head down" from playing partners would help mainly cause that's BS. I found club fitting, went for a fitting and warming up and getting a base line I was just thinning everything, fitter handed me a newer version of my iron, same shaft and said "just swing this" and I was hitting the ball, sucked a bit but I was hitting it. I asked what did you do? He said "it's a 1/2 inch longer shaft, makes a big difference huh?". Got new irons, been using them since, still work great, will have them until I decide I want new ones. 

That kinda put me down the equipment rabbit hole and backing the importance of fittings. Some say it's a waste but I think spending $100-150 to see if there is anything better and getting your specs checked/adjusted is a wise investment. Better financially that buying several sets every year but just not as fun.  

• Like 2

Lefty

Driver: 8° Cobra LTDxLS | Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST | Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i-PW Srixon 785 | AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 52° MD3 | 56° Glide 2.0 Stealth | 60° Glide 

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II | Cody James Patriot | Lajosi Sensor | KB-9306 | and more. 

WITB Thread

I went back to my all-time favorite set of irons, the Mizuno MP 30.  This is my third set, and they are just so freaking sweet.  They tick all the boxes for me: looks, feel, sound, and overall performance.  They aren't very forgiving compared to a GI iron, but I still prefer them over anything else.  If I make a horrible swing, then I deserve the punishment of an undesirable shot.  I guess the reason I changed was because I was tired of buying and trying so many different iron sets and never being satisfied.  It's kinda like idealizing a past romantic relationship.  You often remember that past relationship as being better in some way than any relationship since.  Well, the MP 30's were that way for me.  Except for being disappointed when I finally got another set, the expectations were actually realized and all the old feelings came back.  These irons are just the real deal for me.  I still look at other sets and am tempted to buy another, but I realize they won't do anything better than these do, so I delete whatever set from my online cart and temporarily stop trying to scratch the never-ending equipment buying itch that so many of us on here have.  Although those damned PXG 0211ST forged blades are making me itch REALLY bad right now!  If PXG accepted Paypal, I'd probably already have a full bag on the way.  I guess it's a good thing they don't.  I really don't need any new clubs, but their prices and performance make it very hard not to buy an entire new set.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° Graphite Design YS Nano Reloaded 6X 45" D4                                                 

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16° 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 msi 70S 42.5" D2                                                        

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood set to 20° UST Mamiya Attas 4U 8S 42" D2                                                           

Callaway Apex 2019 23° & 26° Hybrids KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95 S D4                                                  

Adams A4 Forged 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Adams MB2 50° GW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4

MacGregor MT Pro Black 55° & 60° Dynamic Gold X100 D6                                 

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted 33"

Vice Pro Plus White                                              

Last winter I was fit for the Cobra Forged TEC irons with graphite shafts.  I tried them for 3 months and three different shafts and was never comfortable with them.  I bought a used set of TM 2020 P770 and found a shaft I like and have been using them ever since.  

I also started the year with a Cobra SZ Extreme driver with a custom fit LA Golf shaft.  On a whim, I bought a used Sim 2 Max driver with a Ventus Blue stock shaft which I hit longer and straighter.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5* @9* MItsubishi Kai'li 60S 45.75"
Taylormade Stealth 15* 3w Mitsubishi Kai'li 70S 43.25"
Srixon ZX 5w HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 
Taylormade Stealth 3H 19* Ventus Red/Black  7S 40.5"
Taylormade (2020) P770 5-AW Project X IO 6.0
Taylormade M3 Milled Grind 54* Project X IO 6.0
Cleveland ZipCore FF 58 Project X IO 6.0
PING Kushin 4 37"
2022 TM Tour Response