Pxg 0311 P gen 3 or gen 4? 4 worth the price jump?

Jlb123

Have had gen 2, 3, and now 4. Can’t tell a difference in performance between 3 and 4. There was a noticeable jump from 2 to 3. I’d say save the money unless swing weight specs matter to you significantly. (They did to me, as I play D4 with steel fiber 115 shafts). Gen 3 will feel slightly softer than Gen 4 off the face. Both feel really nice overall. 

A couple of thoughts:

1. Did you look to see if they still have their 7 club deal going? I am in. Canada and this don’t get this deal, but also note that I cannot see what the current price is for the Gen 4. The 7 club deal was $1500 back in November.  Might not be as good of a deal as it is with woods, but worth a look. 

2.  I currently play the gen 3.  These are fantastic clubs.  I play a 4 and 5 iron in the P and the rest are T’s.  Went with the steel fibre shafts and just love them.  I did try the gen 4’s as well in two different fittings and did not see that great of an improvement for my swing to justify the difference.  I am thinking my Gen 3’s will be in the bag for a while.  

I should note that I am pulling my 4 iron for next year and going with the 22 degree XF hybrid.  This was the biggest surprise coming from my fitting at the end of November. 

26 minutes ago, AdExec said:

Have had gen 2, 3, and now 4. Can’t tell a difference in performance between 3 and 4. There was a noticeable jump from 2 to 3. I’d say save the money unless swing weight specs matter to you significantly. (They did to me, as I play D4 with steel fiber 115 shafts). Gen 3 will feel slightly softer than Gen 4 off the face. Both feel really nice overall. 

So the swingweight is different between the gen3 and gen4?

Go hit them first, I hit the gen 4s expecting to buy them, but absolutely hated them! Couldn't get crap for distance, contact felt hard, trajectory was sporadic and distance was okay, spin was crazy low. Good idea to try out a bunch of different ones before landing on one... Made that mistake last year with my G425s

56 minutes ago, RyanMatteson said:

Go hit them first, I hit the gen 4s expecting to buy them, but absolutely hated them! Couldn't get crap for distance, contact felt hard, trajectory was sporadic and distance was okay, spin was crazy low. Good idea to try out a bunch of different ones before landing on one... Made that mistake last year with my G425s

I have absolutely no way to try them out. 

3 hours ago, AdExec said:

This pretty much hits it on the head. I've played each generation as they came out. Minimal difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2. 

HUGE difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Minimal difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4.

If money is the deciding factor then go with the Gen 3 for sure. You will love them as they feel great, look great and perform better.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Can someone comment on the Gen 3/4 T version and what they compare to in terms of size and profile at address?  I picked up a Gen 3 P 4 iron and was a little surprised at how large it was at address. I’m a blade player that would love to find an iron with a similar profile that provides additional distance and forgiveness, but I do not want to sacrifice the look at address. Is the 0311T a “bladeish” profile?  Would it compare to AP2 or IBlade, or is it smaller/larger?

I really liked the Gen3 and 4. I would choose the Gen3 for myself regardless of price.  Gen4 was about 300-500 less spin on the short irons and a little higher launch.  This made my PW go 10 yards further creating a pretty sizable gap to my 50, which was already too much.  I already hit the ball really high and don't need that either. 

I tested outdoors on grass with a trackman that the PXG rep brought.  I'm not sensitive to minor swing weight differences, so the weight in the middle is not a big deal to me. 

Irons are the strongest part of my game as well.  All in all, both are excellent feeling and looking.   Soft, but powerful.  My miss is on the toe side usually and it was hard to tell if I missed at all.  Seemed to retain ball speed on slight mishits.

Both went further (nearly a full club)  than my New Level PF-2's and MP-20 MB's.   For that reason I would probably opt for the Gen3 T model.

I don't know if any of this helps.  Just my experience.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

Can someone comment on the Gen 3/4 T version and what they compare to in terms of size and profile at address?  I picked up a Gen 3 P 4 iron and was a little surprised at how large it was at address. I’m a blade player that would love to find an iron with a similar profile that provides additional distance and forgiveness, but I do not want to sacrifice the look at address. Is the 0311T a “bladeish” profile?  Would it compare to AP2 or IBlade, or is it smaller/larger?

I think the Gen3/4 T's are similar in profile to the new T100, maybe a smidge bigger.  Less offset than my old 712 AP2's.  I've played blades on and off for the past 6 years and the 0311T's are definitely not Titleist MB sized.  Maybe like the Srixon ZForged to my eye or a hair bigger. 

Measuring with a caliper --they are definitely bigger than any MB, but they don't feel like it when down by the ball.  Some visual wizardry going on there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jlb123 said:

Im going to order some pxg 0311p irons and it’s roughly $600 more to get the gen 4 over the gen 3. Unfortunately I am a lefty in Louisiana and have no way to demo can yall give me some input?

I thought I was gonna love them, but you better hit them first bud, I had a terrible experience with them, I'm a 5 handicap, pretty good ball striker and the numbers just werent there. You might check out the most underestimated and underrated clubs, Ben Hogans

6 hours ago, RyanMatteson said:

I thought I was gonna love them, but you better hit them first bud, I had a terrible experience with them, I'm a 5 handicap, pretty good ball striker and the numbers just werent there. You might check out the most underestimated and underrated clubs, Ben Hogans

Im a 6hc what was your issue with them?

8 hours ago, B.Easy said:

I really liked the Gen3 and 4. I would choose the Gen3 for myself regardless of price.  Gen4 was about 300-500 less spin on the short irons and a little higher launch.  This made my PW go 10 yards further creating a pretty sizable gap to my 50, which was already too much.  I already hit the ball really high and don't need that either. 

I tested outdoors on grass with a trackman that the PXG rep brought.  I'm not sensitive to minor swing weight differences, so the weight in the middle is not a big deal to me. 

Irons are the strongest part of my game as well.  All in all, both are excellent feeling and looking.   Soft, but powerful.  My miss is on the toe side usually and it was hard to tell if I missed at all.  Seemed to retain ball speed on slight mishits.

Both went further (nearly a full club)  than my New Level PF-2's and MP-20 MB's.   For that reason I would probably opt for the Gen3 T model.

I don't know if any of this helps.  Just my experience.

interesting. I play the PF-1's and love them but find myself building both Gen3 and Gen4 irons every week wanting to pull the trigger on them but cant bc of the shaft selection.

I already ordered Mizuno Pro 223's thinking those can be my distance irons but I keep coming bak to PXG's website

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Already discussed..........

• Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

16 hours ago, JoeFrigo said:

interesting. I play the PF-1's and love them but find myself building both Gen3 and Gen4 irons every week wanting to pull the trigger on them but cant bc of the shaft selection.

I already ordered Mizuno Pro 223's thinking those can be my distance irons but I keep coming bak to PXG's website

At the end of the day in golf, we want and need the best performance over looks... Figure out what's best performing for you and forget about the looks. I desired the 0211STs and the Ping I59...until I compared them on a launch monitor against all the available clubs.at the end of the day we are looking for tools...not jewels

• Like 1