2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

427008598_labreviews.png.34d27931d56e8c2bdc09d5d0e4fbc85e.png

We have ten members testing out the brand new L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter! The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

The testers are:

@xandersingh

@My2Dogs

@CasualLie

@SwingBlues

@GolferJeff

@Orange Hog

@HackinNut

@CCTxGolf

@tlehmann

@Red4282

Special thank you goes out to @labgolffor putting on this exciting event for our members!

• Like 4

A special thanks to Golfwrx and L.A.B for being selected.  This is going to be fun stuff!  A bit of a challenge given it is actually raining in NorCal, a totally foreign concept. 

For the most part, my approach is to see if the LAB can kick out my gamer, which for the last 4+ months has been a Scotty Cameron Holiday 2020 (the H20), which is simply the best mallet Scotty has ever made.  I have a lot of confidence with the Scotty which is really saying something because I already have a lot of confidence putting.

Still, every edge you can get in putting matters a lot.  So for me, the goal is two-fold, can I get a better initial roll off the face to hold the line in that 6 - 10 foot range, and can I get a more aggressive roll without an aggressive stroke.

Having already used the Directed Force putter in the past which did the above, I am familiar with the face technology, but it sure was BIG so I did not like all the space it took in the bag, and the many conversations with people were annoying.

Sorry, no unboxing pictures!  Haha!  It's a putter, sparsely, but well packed, and good thing because UPS smashed the hell out of the box, but no damage to the putter! 

So here we go...the battle!

Specs:

L.A.B.

ACCRA x L.A.B. - White

35"

71 lie angle

Press II 1.5 - Right

Alignment Marking: Line

Scotty

Standard steel shaft

70 lie angle

Pistolero grip

image.png.1b8c21210cb38dce1f565491bb3d0fca.png

image.png.a9a2c2298e65e1ff0a78a5ce76bbc169.png

As you can see, not too much difference in the overall profile - front to back, side to side in terms of size, but certainly a very different look / feel.  First key observation: there is a significant difference in face height off the ground.  This is the area that has me most curious because I do not recall the original DF being so thick.  Was it done to achieve a certain MOI?  A certain head weight?  To accommodate all the screws? (most likely).

When I first unboxed, it is raining a lot, but I have the Perfect Practice.  So immediately went to the 6 footers and made the first 7 in a row, got bored, distracted, and missed the 8th one...haha!  And this brings me to the second observation: alignment is a bit weird feeling at first.  It's easy enough to set on the ground and align to target, but where it leaves me feeling in the hands because of the forward press grip, and bulkiness of grip is just weird to me, takes some getting used to, and if I am lazy about it, then the putt tends to go left. 

Call that the third observation, you have to trust how this sets up and get used to your hand position.  Do not manipulate it much or you will mess up your alignment.

So the putter went in the trunk, and next day it was off to Vegas where I can get some golf in without rain, just cold temps!

So here we go, the 3.5 - 4 footer.  First the Scotty...

image.png.410225830587baea59e647e484e401aa.png

And now the L.A.B.

image.png.cb5a383d14db07d93f203c07410da381.png

A very good design detail, the shaft is not too close to the face.  I like center shafted putters, like the face balance, but the one thing that bugs me a lot of most center-shafted putters is that shaft too close to the face and making alignment a challenge, the shaft would be visually blocking a full view of the ball a lot of times.  No such problem with the L.A.B.

Here are some close up pics and then I will get to first impressions after 20 minutes of putting.

image.png.98426881f6efc2fc1e066d81ed5d110d.png

image.png.b4e640344b64b8abe50382d573c241fd.png

image.png.b76a438540b5b8723dc0f3df74816d99.png

I need to do some video editing so you can see it in action.  I rolled 5 footers, 12s, 30s uphill and downhill and 75 feet uphill and downhill, going back and forth between the Scotty and the L.A.B.

The LAB is a bit hot, probably from the fact the ball just rolls sweetly right off the face.  So I need to dial that in a bit.  Although, on long uphill putts, I had trouble getting it to the hole.  Again, more dialing in (it's only been 20 minutes!).  There is a this lite "ting" sound.  If you see that metal part on top, I think a lot of the sound is coming from there.  But here is what I found a bit strange, and I need to work on this a lot...the tingy sound seems more pronounced the more off-center you hit it.  And when I pure one dead center, it seems like I do not hear the ting sound at all.  So when I try it again and hit dead center, the ting sound is there.  So did that mean I caught it higher on the face???  Weird, sometimes a muted sound, sometimes a ting.  I will need to practice again and get very precise with ball position to see if it differs.

I guess it makes sense so do not really need to point out, but the neck style of the two putters is so different, so my stroke feels a bit different.  The center shaft and press grip has me feeling a much more straight back and through stroke.  That's great for short putts, so far, very accurate, but I am concerned about the long putts (more than 35 feet).  We will see...

I was not very precise on my putting practice today, so I am not making any conclusions just yet.  I rarely am precise on putting practice, but will give this an honest try.  So next stop -  practice Saturday back in the Bay Area, and if weather permits, in the bag for a Sunday morning round.

Fire away with any questions!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

A special thanks to Golfwrx and L.A.B for being selected.  This is going to be fun stuff!  A bit of a challenge given it is actually raining in NorCal, a totally foreign concept. 

For the most part, my approach is to see if the LAB can kick out my gamer, which for the last 4+ months has been a Scotty Cameron Holiday 2020 (the H20), which is simply the best mallet Scotty has ever made.  I have a lot of confidence with the Scotty which is really saying something because I already have a lot of confidence putting.

Still, every edge you can get in putting matters a lot.  So for me, the goal is two-fold, can I get a better initial roll off the face to hold the line in that 6 - 10 foot range, and can I get a more aggressive roll without an aggressive stroke.

Having already used the Directed Force putter in the past which did the above, I am familiar with the face technology, but it sure was BIG so I did not like all the space it took in the bag, and the many conversations with people were annoying.

Sorry, no unboxing pictures!  Haha!  It's a putter, sparsely, but well packed, and good thing because UPS smashed the hell out of the box, but no damage to the putter! 

So here we go...the battle!

Specs:

L.A.B.

ACCRA x L.A.B. - White

35"

71 lie angle

Press II 1.5 - Right

Alignment Marking: Line

Scotty

Standard steel shaft

70 lie angle

Pistolero grip

image.png.1b8c21210cb38dce1f565491bb3d0fca.png

image.png.a9a2c2298e65e1ff0a78a5ce76bbc169.png

As you can see, not too much difference in the overall profile - front to back, side to side in terms of size, but certainly a very different look / feel.  First key observation: there is a significant difference in face height off the ground.  This is the area that has me most curious because I do not recall the original DF being so thick.  Was it done to achieve a certain MOI?  A certain head weight?  To accommodate all the screws? (most likely).

When I first unboxed, it is raining a lot, but I have the Perfect Practice.  So immediately went to the 6 footers and made the first 7 in a row, got bored, distracted, and missed the 8th one...haha!  And this brings me to the second observation: alignment is a bit weird feeling at first.  It's easy enough to set on the ground and align to target, but where it leaves me feeling in the hands because of the forward press grip, and bulkiness of grip is just weird to me, takes some getting used to, and if I am lazy about it, then the putt tends to go left. 

Call that the third observation, you have to trust how this sets up and get used to your hand position.  Do not manipulate it much or you will mess up your alignment.

So the putter went in the trunk, and next day it was off to Vegas where I can get some golf in without rain, just cold temps!

So here we go, the 3.5 - 4 footer.  First the Scotty...

image.png.410225830587baea59e647e484e401aa.png

And now the L.A.B.

image.png.cb5a383d14db07d93f203c07410da381.png

A very good design detail, the shaft is not too close to the face.  I like center shafted putters, like the face balance, but the one thing that bugs me a lot of most center-shafted putters is that shaft too close to the face and making alignment a challenge, the shaft would be visually blocking a full view of the ball a lot of times.  No such problem with the L.A.B.

Here are some close up pics and then I will get to first impressions after 20 minutes of putting.

image.png.98426881f6efc2fc1e066d81ed5d110d.png

image.png.b4e640344b64b8abe50382d573c241fd.png

image.png.b76a438540b5b8723dc0f3df74816d99.png

I need to do some video editing so you can see it in action.  I rolled 5 footers, 12s, 30s uphill and downhill and 75 feet uphill and downhill, going back and forth between the Scotty and the L.A.B.

The LAB is a bit hot, probably from the fact the ball just rolls sweetly right off the face.  So I need to dial that in a bit.  Although, on long uphill putts, I had trouble getting it to the hole.  Again, more dialing in (it's only been 20 minutes!).  There is a this lite "ting" sound.  If you see that metal part on top, I think a lot of the sound is coming from there.  But here is what I found a bit strange, and I need to work on this a lot...the tingy sound seems more pronounced the more off-center you hit it.  And when I pure one dead center, it seems like I do not hear the ting sound at all.  So when I try it again and hit dead center, the ting sound is there.  So did that mean I caught it higher on the face???  Weird, sometimes a muted sound, sometimes a ting.  I will need to practice again and get very precise with ball position to see if it differs.

I guess it makes sense so do not really need to point out, but the neck style of the two putters is so different, so my stroke feels a bit different.  The center shaft and press grip has me feeling a much more straight back and through stroke.  That's great for short putts, so far, very accurate, but I am concerned about the long putts (more than 35 feet).  We will see...

I was not very precise on my putting practice today, so I am not making any conclusions just yet.  I rarely am precise on putting practice, but will give this an honest try.  So next stop -  practice Saturday back in the Bay Area, and if weather permits, in the bag for a Sunday morning round.

Fire away with any questions!

White shaft looks good, kinda wishing i went with that! Nice pics and review, have very similar observations as well.

I really want to say thank you to LAB Golf and WRX for this opportunity.  Never wanted to win a contest so bad like this one.  Putting has been my blessing and curse.  Used to have really nice feel in the hands and used blades exclusively.  Over the past few years I’ve gotten too handsy in the stroke and have tried everything to get out of it.  Finally realized I had to go to a mallet putter.  Before the LAB 2.1 that I currently play I was playing an Odyssey EXO 7.  In fact at times I do go back and forth as I’m just so used to it.  

during the selection I went with the Tour Stability shaft as that’s what I currently have in my 2.1. I have a straight back and through putting stroke but at times I do go a little outside and put cut spin on the ball.  I try and correct myself my when I see that I’m missing right.

the weather in Nor Cal has been horrendous and I received the putter a few days ago.  Was able to sneak in an hour at the local golf course as we had a break.  The course that’s closest to me is wicked.  They never give you a straight putt on the practice green and they try and make them as fast as the course.  Usually between an 11-12 but sometimes can get faster if you have a breaker or leave yourself above the hole.  Same goes for the practice green.

initial thoughts out of the box was that I really liked the look as it was so much smaller than my 2.1.  Even though I complain about the 2.1 it’s the best putter I’ve ever tried.  It’s not just big but it takes up so much room in the bag.  Tried to buy a putter clip and it broke and tried another and that broke so I just gave up. The 2.1 is so good on fast green as it’s so stable through the stroke and I was always hoping LAB could make something close to it but just smaller.  I’ve put up some comparison photos of the Mezz vs the 2.1, EXO 7 and even the LAB B.2 ( LAB’s blade putter).  The putter cover is made of a mesh material if anyone asks about it from the photos.  Very nice and compact and once the nice leather ones come in, I will purchase.

right out of the box it’s not as heavy through the stroke as I would have thought.  One thing that amazed me about the 2.1 was that it wasn’t heavy feeling through the stroke.  The putter is big but it feels like a light putter when making the putting stroke.  If you ever hit the B.2 you will understand as it feels like it has some weight behind the putting stroke, where the 2.1 glides through the stroke.  The Mezz is much closer to the 2.1 than the B.2 or most blades that I played in that regards.  

on the practice green I did not initially find the feel and it did take some time.  In fact it took until the 2nd round of practice before I started to get the feel and distance down.

I’ve never been fit for a putter before and have purchased my B.2, original 2.0 and 2.1 from the BST.  Never thought it would make a difference.  When we were selected, we were told to send in the short video so they could fit us.  It really makes a difference and I would always recommend doing so.  One of the reasons I didn’t get the feel of the Mezz right away was because I was standing farther away due to the lie angle I was fit into and my eye line changed.  Once I got that down, the Mezz is very close in forgiveness to the 2.1.  It’s more forgiving than my EXO 7 but it provides the same feedback.  Really got the distance dialed in on the 2nd practice session and it holds its line just like the 2.1.

we have a small break in the weather so I am taking it out for an actual round tomorrow (Friday the 31st) and I’ll report back on how it went, how it felt during an actual round where more pressure is put on each stroke vs just hitting ball after ball on the practice green.  

42BCC19B-7238-427D-9A04-9D13AE0145D6.jpeg

271F65CC-5926-4846-A32E-22BA1B833281.jpeg

72825B3A-CF25-40BC-A576-138D1B74CBC3.jpeg

5BA32962-6A9C-4C6F-8B26-C85CD1494EE0.jpeg

EB8A8D25-B191-4383-9FF8-2022ADCDB53C.jpeg

1C83DD11-44FC-456D-9EBF-68FE471402A2.jpeg

3EBD7B39-2EF5-4339-B61E-00008C026A3A.jpeg

E10D33AA-1870-40B6-BF69-5E36E278373C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

A huge thank you to LAB Golf and Golf WRX! I’m very excited to try this putter out.

My golf game: Right now my HC index is a 13.1 and trending down. I’ve been as low as a 7 in the last 4 years and have my ups and downs depending on how often I’m playing. Right now I play 18 about once a week at the very least and do get to play more than that some. I would say putting is actually a strong part of my game. I currently game an Odyssey Toe Up #1 with a SS flatso 1.0 and a 50g counter weight. I know what y’all are thinking… I’m probably the only person in America that still has one of those in the bag! 😂 I’m guilty as charged. I put it in the bag right when it came out 5 years ago and it’s the only part of my bag that has not changed! We just match well. I’ve always been interested in LAB Golf tech as well as Edel because they are somewhat similar to the Toe balanced nature of my current putter. To be honest I never pulled the trigger mostly cause of price and importantly not having a place to swing one in south Texas without having to fork over the dough to buy one.

The rest of my game is always a work in progress. Right now I am driving the ball well and have replaced some long iron with hybrids so have gained confidence there. My irons actually don’t start until 7 iron now and it really helped me. Irons used to be my strength. Not so much anymore. I’ve always been some what of a short knocker and the hybrids serve that well. For reference I probably average 240-250 with driver and 145 with 7 iron.

LAB Arrival and Unboxing: It’s alway a great day when you get home and see a long skinny box on your front porch. There was no mistaking my new putter had arrived!

The journey to get it here was interesting but not overwhelming. I made a video swinging my current gamer up against a straight door jam and the guys at LAB used that video to fit me into the 34” 64* beauty that I have in hand today. I went with the white ACCRA and it looks cool. They fitted the Press 1.5 grip to it.

My initial thoughts are the quality is outstanding. A++. The putter has great weight and feels solid. All of the components are premium. Even the head cover, that I was initially worried about after reading about the original problems, is great. The grip feels awesome. It is very familiar and close in size to my current Flatso 1.0.

I have only rolled putts on a rug so far and it feels good. It’s easy to line up and the putter seems very “point and shoot”. I have no trouble keeping the ball on the starting line.

One funny bit of info is the reaction of the women in the house (I’m surrounded, 😂). I’ve been telling them about this putter for weeks and they have been blowing me off and nodding like they care as usual. When the putter finally got here today and they looked at in passing, their initial reaction was that familiar “oh god, he’s got another golf club, at least he’s happy” reaction. As they looked at it more the questions began to fly!! By the end of it me, and all three of the girls, were sitting in the living room with the putter on the coffee table and I was answering questions about it. They said it is one of those things, that the longer you look at it the more questions you have. LMAO. It is quite unusual. I had to explain the center shaft, the massive amount of onset (of course onset is not a word in their vocabulary) and what they were most curious about was the grip. How the shaft enters the grip at an angle and then lines up with the putter face. It was actually pretty fun and enjoyable to get that kind of reaction!!

I have a tee time at 10:30 on Saturday morning so will update you all after my first outing that night.

please see the pictures of the unboxing below.

15D26972-305D-4B33-8515-880FC37B30CA.jpeg

D2A44E65-7BD3-41F3-AC9C-F0628CCA8C43.jpeg

1BB28D45-2DD5-41C7-AB92-3AEB16291E92.jpeg

4E9D9153-751C-4DF4-8CA2-2677190E6751.jpeg

3242306B-DFE9-468F-85DB-E14016B250E6.jpeg

6C241D6D-3A49-4987-9E33-551035885C81.jpeg

6F2A260D-26FD-4D53-91F4-A220EB8F8457.jpeg

03BA3FF3-CBF6-43AF-8D7E-A388C9AD3AA0.jpeg

49046206-8A36-4EB6-8CE3-E79DB92C4B18.jpeg

9C07D286-ECF5-4546-8552-5A4A5BA6D0E7.jpeg

76A35D89-B3B0-40A9-89AF-2D372272A566.jpeg

6732B8C5-40C3-4040-BFF6-5F4616DF820C.jpeg

964A2DF8-BA78-4EE4-A3AF-EF00EDFC6289.jpeg

7DDDD3FD-B2C8-4434-AF7D-0DABB9EB387B.jpeg

B96908B4-7A71-4DE6-A154-1A431F3546E2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to give the specs I was fit into and what my previous putters specs were. 

usually play a 35 inch putter and the previous 2.1 was at a 71* lie angle with Stability Shaft in black.  Press II 3* grip- right. 

My EXO 7 is 35 inches, steel shaft as I did not have the Stroke Lab shaft in it.  Standard Odyssey pistol grip. 

Mezz- 35.5 inches, lie angle 68* with the Stability Tour shaft in white.  Press II 1.5* grip-right handed.  

Edited by My2Dogs

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Nice wins and great reviews so far!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Xander Singh Review

Intro

Hey Guys! Big thanks to WRX and L.A.B Golf for inviting me to be a tester for their new putter! I'll be taking it to the course today for a full round of 18 holes and some time on the practice green. Then I'll put together my in depth review to post later tonight or tomorrow. I look forward to the discussion and answering any questions other users might have!

Background

So a little background on me. Im 33 years old currently and started playing when I was around 4 or 5 years old. Did the junior golf thing and the high school golf thing and then have taken long periods of time away from the game. But the last 3 or 4 years have been back at it playing once a week. Im at a place in the game where I’m not really trying to get better, just enjoying the game and having fun. I currently hover around a 4 HCP.

The weakest part of my game has always been putting for a very specific reason. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor. It’s a movement disorder that affects my fine motor skills. In terms of the golf swing, full shots aren’t too much of an issue. But when it comes to softer, slower, more nuanced parts of the swing I start to struggle. Of course putting is what I have the most trouble with. It's impossible for me to keep my stroke on plane or with any semblance of repeatable tempo. I’ve tried to mitigate this in the past to varying degrees of success with loading my putter with lead tape to make it as heavy as possible.

Naturally I’ve been interested in the LAB technology and picked up a used B2 back in the fall. Though I wasn’t properly fitted for it, I did see improvements in my stroke. When the Mezz was announced I immediately started saving up for it, so to be picked at a tester was a blessing!

Looks | Sound | Feel

As others have said in their reviews, the build quality of this putter is premium. Everything about it looks and feels sturdy and professional. The online fitting process was super simple and they nailed the appropriate specs for me. Sure it looks a bit wild, and you’ll surely be asked about it non stop by your playing partners. But I naturally like eccentric things!

In terms of sound, I’m not the review you're gonna wanna look at. I have significant hearing loss and don't really pay attention to the sound of my clubs. To evidence this I have a Ping G425 driver and have never once paid attention to what it sounds like.

Feel is very soft, which I really like. As with most clubs, the further that your strike moves away from the center of the face, you’ll feel it. But certainly not as punishing as a blade putter.

Performance

After a few days of making every putt in my living room (as we do) and thinking this would be an immediate game changer and I was about to go pro, time to go to the course!

So it didn’t kick off as well as I thought it might….

I 3 putted the first hole, and 4 putted the the second. I didn’t make a putt over 5 feet until the fifth hole (though it was a birdie!) and here’s why. Speed. I really struggled with speed and distance control. I was leaving everything WAY short or blasting everything ten feet past the hole. Towards the end of the round things definitely started to improve, but it will take some time for me to work with this putter and here is why….

I have always putted with a ‘pop stroke’ ala Brandt Snedeker. This has been my primary means for controlling speed and distance of putts. For whatever reason, I don’t thing the Mezz lends itself to this kind of putting stroke BUT WAIT!!!!

Hear me when I say this next part. EVERY PUTT I HIT STARTED ON MY INTENDED LINE. When I say that this nearly made me tear up in joy I’m not lying. I never start putts on line. Never have. If you can imagine it, I have the ability to slice or hook a 5 footer. But by some means of magic and proper fitting, I had no issue at all starting putts on line. HUGE game changer for me 🙂

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, this putter is really cool. For someone like me who really struggles to keep a putt on line, this is a gift from the gods. Though I struggled with speed and distance control on my first outing with it, I saw improvements as the round went on. The Mezz is begging me to throw out everything I know about the putting stroke and start again. And I am more than willing to oblige! I think the Mezz can require some patience and practice to get the most out of it. If you’re willing to give it the time and attention it needs to help your putting improve, you are surely going to see more putts fall. I certainly intend to make this putter my new best friend.

Looking forward to answering any questions other users might have, make sure you tag me in your post if you have a question directed at me so I don't miss it!!

Pictures

IMG_1429.jpg.fc46414ee70c761eb6c2ec777a674d8c.jpgIMG_1430.jpg.390d6b177121c452f5fd9a857cbd8409.jpgIMG_1431.jpg.50b95af7f9cf693453207a591f524d7a.jpgIMG_1432.jpg.939e33882511cab52782c9fdcd310247.jpgIMG_1443.jpg.16da3b1224fa42a4e143081caea8388f.jpgIMG_1439.jpg.ac8fdc87faafdce888ce62861ca5d191.jpg

4F2DC57E-BCFD-4213-B71C-B822AAB8314D.jpeg.5472051c7357237d66bfe9af998ced12.jpeg43B67D05-3FE0-49C5-A396-E4BA4B3BBDE1.jpeg.dc3d9696b2a3612c3ef067edafab0ffd.jpeg4562879D-582D-4DEF-AF28-6E1049EC82C0.jpeg.27e6d5e6507f5fd1ed14c59aea74147a.jpeg

Edited by xandersingh
full review posted
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

34 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

Xander Singh Review

Intro

Hey Guys! Big thanks to WRX and L.A.B Golf for inviting me to be a tester for their new putter! I'll be taking it to the course today for a full round of 18 holes and some time on the practice green. Then I'll put together my in depth review to post later tonight or tomorrow. I look forward to the discussion and answering any questions other users might have!

Pictures

IMG_1429.jpg.fc46414ee70c761eb6c2ec777a674d8c.jpgIMG_1430.jpg.390d6b177121c452f5fd9a857cbd8409.jpgIMG_1431.jpg.50b95af7f9cf693453207a591f524d7a.jpgIMG_1432.jpg.939e33882511cab52782c9fdcd310247.jpgIMG_1439.jpg.ac8fdc87faafdce888ce62861ca5d191.jpg

Happy to see you went with the alignment dot. Looking forward to more feedback. This has to be a completely different animal than the Answer shaped head in your pictures. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

First off, thanks to the Golfwrx community & LAB Golf for being selected to test these putters.  It's been a long time since I've had the chance to test out any real equipment ... it's always been golf balls!  LOL 😉 

It's always a good day when you see a long box being delivered to your front porch.  Especially when I didn't get any long boxes for X-mas this year.  HA!  LAB sends their putters in a quality box, with a lot of air pads up & down the box for added assurance their clubs arrive in pristine condition. 

The "fitting" made from a short 10 second video of my putting stroke up against the door frame is amazing to me.  But I guess seeing how far away you stand from the ball gives you an idea of the lie angle.  My Scotty was a 70* lie angle & they made my putter with 64*.  I like the fact that all the LAB putters are made with 2.5* of loft.  As opposed to most other OEM's that are a standard 4* of loft.  I tend to add loft at impact, so 2.5* should make for a truer roll. 

These were my fitting specs:

Mezz.1 Proto

• Hand: Right

• Putting Style: Standard

• Shaft Selection: ACCRA x L.A.B. - Black

• Shaft length: 33"

• Lie Angle: 64

• Grip Selection: Press II 1.5 - Right

• Alignment Marking: Line

Initial Thoughts:

• comes with a quality fur lined cover with magnetic enclosure on both sides 
  • nice stitching of L.A.B. Golf on the side & the original putter style on the bottom

1655531743_20211231_112410(002).jpg.2ef632f11080a0565332a27d4d62f5cc.jpg

792499445_20211231_112433(002).jpg.0ce4a93f195cfd611e90bad164667ab1.jpg

Head, Shaft & Grip

• I went with the ACCRA black shaft.  Feel of it is of a rough, matte material.  I liken it to a kind of rough paint you put on your bedroom wall.  Interesting finish that I've already seen gets "white" with marks from your skin if handled too much.  Nothing a drop of water on a towel won't rub off in a second.  I'm hoping it doesn't nick up too much coming in & out of the bag.  But I will give it the utmost care, that's for certain.  
  • Head design is definitely something I will have to get used to.  Especially having always played a blade putter 90% of the time.  It's like a "bat wing" design that I can really see as being a very stable.  
  • Looking down at it behind the ball makes it very easy to align.  
  • The center shaft design is right behind the alignment sightline, which I like.  
  • It's very easy to set the club behind the ball with it being very flat & square.  It's impossible to allow the toe to raise in the air.  (one thing I tend to do with a blade)
  • The center piece I'm assuming is designed for getting balance & swing weight correct.  Weight distribution, along with the weight screws, make each individual head design unique. 
  • The grip is a bit larger than what I'm used to.  I tend to use more of a pistol, standard grip but I'm hoping this design will help take my wrists out of the stroke & hit it more with a shoulder rocking motion
  • The grip is also tacky, which I like, since my hands sweat more than a cat in room full of rocking chairs.  
  • The grip/shaft design in itself is unique.  How it comes in at an angle thru the grip & allows your hands to be square or automatically ahead of the ball at address & impact. 

20211230_182402.jpg.8483f47c5b840880e25995a08fef2053.jpg

20211230_182411.jpg.cc6f0d390e6d180d756e413a29bd17c6.jpg

20211231_112515.jpg.90e626cc28caf15263ece7e4d61334a3.jpg

20211231_112452.jpg.c157d60e4c4f9e76feee04e8d4964921.jpg

20211230_182520.jpg.b47016a5156f05e4bc9c0b5081ae94e7.jpg

I haven't had the chance to get it out on the course yet.  But hitting putts on the mat are great so far.  Balls seems to roll quickly, with no bouncing or skidding.  Grant it, it's only 6 feet, but consistently making putts is helping my confidence.  But we all have a great indoor putting mat game, don't we!  😉  

I'm sure I left something out, so there will be edits after I have re-read thru this.  HA!  But I will be back after I get my first round in or practice on a real green.

Thanks for reading!  

Edited by HackinNut
  • Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

A huge thanks to L.A.B. Golf and GolfWRX for this awesome contest!!!

The Mezz was delivered yesterday, and I was able to take advantage of a lengthy practice session today here in Texas.  I am looking forward to gaming it tomorrow at my home club where I will be keeping stats, and will report back.

thumbnail_IMG_3715.jpg.e3c71ded677cc9938e7bc115b16608a3.jpg

Specs:

Mezz.1 Proto

Accra x L.A.B. White

35"

70* lie 

Grip: Press II 1.5

Alignment Mark: Line

Initial unboxing thoughts:

This is a high-quality item and clearly expensive to produce.  The feel of the materials lets you know immediately that this is a high-end item.  The screws in particular really stand out.  This is a very premium product.

thumbnail_IMG_3706.jpg.319ee1be52bbc5b553779a96454ced95.jpg

I went with the white L.A.B. x Accra shaft, which looks and feels fantastic.  The feel of the shaft has a texture to it and is a half gloss/half matte type finish that is really unique.  I'm a real stickler about blemishes, grip alignment etc - this putter is absolutely perfect.  The grip was installed perfectly straight (this never happens on putters to my eye), and the Press II 1.5 is a perfect match for this package in my opinion.  Major kudos to L.A.B. on the build of this putter.

thumbnail_IMG_3719.jpg.e4c645883860d237f73a6322c0ebef59.jpg

The PRG Headcover is excellent.  It is very heavy, magnetic headcover in a ballistic nylon material.  It is thick and will protect this head well.

thumbnail_IMG_3704.jpg.2e7327e333106543e73f2b6b183f8c07.jpg

A bit about me:  I'm a scratch golfer, overall good putter, and in true WRX fashion, own many putters.  The way the LAB putters swing is very unique, and you can truly feel the balance.  The total weight to me feels relatively heavy, and it is balanced perfectly across every axis of this putter.  This is very apparent when hitting one-handed putts - the putter just wants to swing on its arc and return back to its start position.  Very cool.

thumbnail_IMG_3723.jpg.963b0cf0188bf07a327054aa32ceb160.jpg

I'm looking forward to spending more time with it on the course tomorrow.  As another tester pointed out above, the putter has a very muted "thud" feel when struck perfectly, and if slightly off, the feedback is there - it has a bit of a "ting" (think Newport Beach sound slot) feel that lets you know you missed it laterally, or low in the head.  

I will update the thread with my findings on the course tomorrow.  Thanks again L.A.B. and GolfWRX!!!

thumbnail_IMG_3712.jpg.56f7d1f6a4bb7c992168f62b947d3c1a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3724.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3718.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3711.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Vault Oslo

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

So after some craziness today I was able to get out on the course and use the Mezz.  No practice or warmup as I stated a crazy day and barely got to the course as my group was called up.  This course has fast greens with lots of movement and each green has several tiers.  Sometimes it looks flat but it will have some sort of break and other times you can def see a big break (Johnny Miller design so that should put it into perspective).

first hole I drove it well but missed just on the right rough and about 4 feet off the fairway.  Issue was a massive tree in the way so I only had a shot at the left side of the green.  Also I was fearful of being to close to the tree and had to use a 60* knowing I couldn’t get near the flag (all the way back right).  I hit on the front left side of the green.  Left me a long 50-60 footer up a slope to a back pin placement.  I will have to get used to long lag putts as I thought I hammered it but with the slope and break I was 10 feet short.  These are the type of putts I have struggled with in the past before the 2.1. It’s just a matter of getting the feel down to dial in the Mezz.  

2nd hole I was above the hole and this is a course you don’t want to be above.  I made a very tentative stroke and actually left it short.  With the EXO and blade putters you can sometimes be tentative and still get the ball there.  With the Mezz, you have to put a good stroke on it.  

After the 3rd hole I was decently dialed in with the speed and on hole 9 I had another very long putt and just misread the break but was hole high.  As stated before I am having to retrain myself on ball placement and I’m still not 100% comfortable yet.  With the fitting my eye line changed and I caught myself a couple times going back to my old ball placement and standing farther from the ball.  After the fitting the Mezz  sits nice and flat on the ground.  Sometimes with my EXO and 2.1 I would have the toe lift up a bit but with the online fitting, it sits very flat and helps promote a better stroke. 

The sound may be strange to some and even the guys playing with me stated they thought on long putts it was a strange sound due to the aluminum it’s built from.  I’m used to it from my 2.1 but I understand.  The Mezz wants to be struck well with a solid stroke not a half hearted attempt.  I found that even when above the hole and I committed to my line and made a solid attempt it rolled very well.  The ball didn’t go crazy past the hole as long as your speed is dialed but again make a solid attempt.  Scared small yippy strokes will get punished.  

This putter makes the ball hold its line.  I really love this about this putter and it seemed I didn’t have to play as much break as with other putters.   I’m used to that from the 2.1 but for people who have not hit the LAB putters you will notice you don’t have to play as much break.  There were several instances today where my playing partners and I had the same putt and distance.  One was using a blade (Scotty) and the other guy was using a TM mallet.  Each time when they followed my line their putts missed low where mine held the line.  

On the fringe the Mezz really gave me confidence behind the ball and I had no trouble making solid contact to get the ball rolling. This is where I had some trouble with the 2.1.  It’s bigger and sometimes I would get the putter caught on the grass but the Mezz is much smaller and seemed to help me. 

I forgot to keep track of the total number of putts but the next time I get out I will make certain to keep track.  I do know I had 7 one putts today and only 1 3 putt.  So I just did the math and it was a total of 30 putts.  I had someone take a couple on course photos today.  High was 44* and we teed off it was 38*.  Hoping to get out next weekend and will give some more feedback.  

4F544DDE-5744-48AF-8FD7-B7E06DC2D188.jpeg

DC4E630B-D537-4491-8C53-3B215377C810.jpeg

0B36C6D5-AF17-4AA6-9592-4AE421ED8E63.jpeg

4C46857C-1F56-4BF3-B12B-F2571BC0BCA4.jpeg

• Like 3

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Updated my original post with my full review!! If you have any questions pertaining to me review im happy to answer!

Driver Taylormade Qi10

I do like the look of white shaft and the contrasting head. 

Any testers with this combination — could you give a perspective on does it look cool, do you notice ease in alignment, any other observations?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Ok so an update after my round yesterday, but before I get into that, here are a few on course pics i took, with comparisons to what was my current gamer, a Cobra Vintage Nova:

F1B6A232-154A-4DE7-8441-F8ACCF31F083.jpeg.1a7737b0a7f7a801de13ea2982f479ef.jpeg

D31750C4-5096-4D7A-BEAC-D6B4A582A8BF.jpeg.bc15ea4a664494dca2112439a6cb1e06.jpeg

1D5898A9-DE05-4F32-82BC-F9152FD8691D.jpeg.9d03eaa9e5ed1e7b8f45cad4cff70d75.jpeg

Was planning on grabbing some video to capture sound and roll but wind was blowing a solid 25 and video just doesnt do it justice. Will have to try again another day.

So I have a lot of good things to say about the Mezz.1 and not a whole lot of negative. First, knocking out the Nova is a VERY tall task, as it might be the most perfect putter for ME that I have found. The reason I signed up for this is because I did own and had a brief love affair with the DF 2.1 and while it didn’t ultimately stay in the bag, the performance or results were hard to not notice, I just could get past the huge size and feel/sound. I knew that if LAB could create a better feeling smaller version that they would have a real winner. The one other knock I had on the DF 2.1 was lag putting and speed control was pretty difficult for long putts. But inside 15 feet it was easily one of the best Ive ever had. 

On to the Mezz.1-

Feel/sound: Much Much improved over the DF 2.1. For a solid, no insert putter it sits middle of the road, not too soft, not too firm. I agree with other testers that sweet spot hits have a bit of a muted feeling, not quite as responsive, where mishits give you plenty of feedback, feel and sound wise with a slight “tink”. The muted feeling could be a good or bad thing depending on person. I could see it hinder speed control with some people, but also its nice to know when you have hit it well and when you haven't, and there is a distinct difference when that happens.

Performance: I didn't get much time with Mezz.1 before the round, maybe 5 minutes on the practice green. Overall I putted pretty good with it on the front nine, made about a 10 footer for par and about a 20 footer for birdie and no three putts. On the back nine I struggled a bit. One three putt, and missed a few birdie putts inside 10 feet. I seemed to be pushing it a bit. I know from experience that you have to really change your ball position and technique a bit with LAB putters compared to traditional, and I’m positive the lack of training and adjustments is likely the leading cause. I typically play ball in middle of stance with a slight forward  press movement when initiating stroke. With LAB putters, its really imperative to have ball well forward and little to no forward press. Ill have to put some more time in it and make some adjustments to maximize the results of this putter. 

I will also say this in terms of performance: This thing is MUCH better than the DF 2.1 in terms of speed control on long lag putts. I dont know if thats attributed to the head size or just the the different feel of the face. The one area where i feel maybe it lacks what the DF 2.1 had was just overall stability. The DF and its massive head just felt so stable through the stroke. The Mezz is still very stable, but just not as stable as what i remember from the DF.

X-Factor: I was playing with my father, my brother inlaw, and his father. All three had very good positive reactions which surprised me a bit. With the DF it was always “what in the world is that!!?” But all three said it was “sweet” “cool”, or something to that effect. I explained to them the tech, in the purpose of the balancing and no torque. All three eventually ended up rolling it and said it felt good. My brother in law at the end of the round actually asked for the name of it, not sure if he was interested in buying one, but a very positive sign. I think this putter will appeal much better to the masses.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mshills said:

Any testers with this combination — could you give a perspective on does it look cool, do you notice ease in alignment, any other observations?

I have the 2.1 with a Black  Stability Shaft and i decided to go with the Mezz with a White Tour Stability Shaft.  I really like the combo.  I was a little worried the white shaft would be a distraction against the black head of the putter but it looks really sharp to me.  

hard to tell on alignment as it’s a smaller head so it’s not apples to apples but neither putter or color have made it easier or harder just with the color of the shaft.  Both are pretty easy to align with the alignment marks.  Since I use a line on the ball it’s very easy to square up to the line I use.  The 3 lines on the 2.1 are so simple, especially with a triple track ball. I’m still getting used to the new alignment mark on the Mezz but it’s certainly not difficult.  I made some quality putts yesterday.  

• Thanks 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

3 hours ago, mshills said:

I have this combo and it looks fantastic! I also went with the sight dot, and the grey square around it is great. I feel the dot helps with centering the ball, and the grey square with aim

Driver Taylormade Qi10

1 hour ago, weightroom said:

For anyone who has a Mezz putter—what size/type aftermarket headcover will fit the putter well? 

not sure of this but tried my spider vault head cover and it doesnt work because the 'latch' part of the cover is in the middle. would need to be a head cover that accommodates a center shafted putter. other than that the head size is comparable with other standard mallets

Driver Taylormade Qi10

Played my first round with my new Mezz. I was able to putt for about ten minutes before my round and then went immediately into my game.

here are my thoughts:

Based on my putting warm up I thought I was in serious trouble. I was pulling EVERY single putt. Bad pulls…. Like missing 3 - 4 footers wide left. I could not figure out how to aim the putter. Right before our tee time I found something when I began to lean over the putter further and get my head directly over the putter and my ball. This helped tremendously.

Besides not being able to aim at first the feel of the putter was great. The roll that this putter puts on the ball is outstanding. No skipping or jumping and the ball begins to roll immediately. This was very impressive. I think this in turn lead to GREAT distance control for me. I read that others were having trouble in this department and I did not at all. I loved this thing on long putts.

Once I got out on the course my putting got significantly better. One huge difference maker on the course for me was lining the putter up with a line on my ball. On the practice green I did not do this and I think that was my major problem. Because of the strange way this putter sits and the massive onset/built in forward press it is hard to aim. At least with the minimal practice time I’ve put in so far. Lining the ball up and then lining the putter up to the ball made all the difference in the world. Once I figured this out I really began to enjoy this thing. It is almost impossible to get this putter out of square. So as long as my ball was lined up correctly there was no way I was not gonna start the ball on that line. That builds a lot of confidence IMO.

Only two three putts today which is not great but pretty good for a first round with a new putter. Three putts occurred when just eye balling a short putt and trying to tap in. That is a no-no with this putter for me at this stage. Gotta go through the process and line up all putts. Even the short ones. Then it’s almost a can’t miss.

can’t wait to get it out and do some more practicing. Will update again the thread again after round two!  

Edited by CCTxGolf

3 hours ago, weightroom said:

For anyone who has a Mezz putter—what size/type aftermarket headcover will fit the putter well? 

Size wise a standard mallet cover will work.  I looked at the overall shape and size of my EXO 7 and this is slightly smaller.  However this is a centered shafted putter so I obviously could not put it on but they are close in size.  That should give you a good reference point.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Today the weather is perfect (except for being cold).  45* is the high and when I got it it was about 42-43*.  Luckily today no wind, unlike when I played yesterday.  Went to the course newest me.  Putting greens are fast and again the greens keepers never give you a straight putt.  Im not even asking for flat, just straight.  Nearest I could get was one that had about 6-8i inches of break.

today was all about speed, getting used to the alignment mark, different eye line and as always working on the putting stroke to make it as straight back and straight through as I could.

I brought my Perfect Putter training tool and a marker.  I also brought a chalk line but since I couldn’t find anything straight I just went with the mark I put on the green with the pen.

I went with my Triple Track balls so I could see if I was putting a good stroke on the ball and if I was creating side spin.  I did not line them up each time as would have taken forever but took a photo so show at address what I would look like.  

I started at 6 feet and went back to 9 and eventually 12 feet.  At 6 feet it felt almost automatic.  Not nearly as much break so I didn’t have to worry about speed as much.  At 9 feet, speed was really important because if it was too fast it didn’t take the break and too slow and it missed below.  Still really good.  I was averaging making 7-8 out of 10.  That’s pretty fantastic on a quick breaking putt, even if it was uphill they were still quick.  I did lip some out and those went 5 feet but I really felt confident about making the comeback and I barely missed any.

at 12 feet, speed was so crucial.  Had so many lip out at first or I hit them too hard and it wouldn’t take the break.  As I stated previously the Mezz seems to help minimize the break needed but even with the Mezz’s help these broke 8-10 inches.  I started getting into a rhythm and was making about 60-70% of the 12 footers.  Again I know the break, have a line lined up to square the head and it was then all about feel, speed and my putting stroke.

I practiced for about an hour and then decided to try much longer putts (30, 40, 50 and 60 footers).  Once I started making more of a solid stroke and not being afraid I got the speed down pretty well.  Made the 2nd putt much easier being within a couple feet or less.  The feel is getting easier for me to dial in and I can def tell when I make a solid center stroke vs missing it toe or heel side. 

so far so good and I think LAB has such a winner here.  This is almost as forgiving as the 2.1 but will suit so many more players being smaller.  Some folks won’t even try the 2.1 due to the size but I cannot see anyone complaining about the size and looks of the Mezz.

092F0272-0ACE-407F-9751-5D4B379CB73C.jpeg

81C63764-E034-42B9-BBDF-F42577EC3D35.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

5 hours ago, mshills said:

I went with the white Accra amd I think it looks very slick. I certainly stands out on the practice green. 

The color did not interfere with my alignment in anyway but I am not really that finicky in that department.

The putter in general takes some time to get used to aligning IMO. Once I started lining up the ball with a line to the line on my putter it made all the difference. I just had to trust that it would start on that line and it did every time. This putter is actually very hard to get out of square which is pretty freaking awesome.

Im sure with time I will get better at just walking up and tapping in a 2-3 footer but at this point I find it necessary to go through the whole process of lining up the ball with every putt. Even the shortys.

• Like 1