2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

So I think I’m struggling with the fact that the Mezz is lighter than I’m used to. (I’m the reviewer who lead tapes all his putters). Decided to try this before nine holes of night golf tonight. Is this sacrilege for LAB putters??

305CF719-C266-4FE9-8191-33455E6B3109.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

It's starting to come around.  Still not feeling that confident over longer putts, but it sure is money 10 feet in.  I'm starting to turn the corner on the short putts where I can just point and fire.  29 putts today.

There second thing I wish I could change on this putter is a design with softer edges.  I'm ok with the overall shape, but it is a bit too angular.  

I can see though, in a few more rounds it won't matter, it will be fairly automatic.

4 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

So I think I’m struggling with the fact that the Mezz is lighter than I’m used to. (I’m the reviewer who lead tapes all his putters). Decided to try this before nine holes of night golf tonight. Is this sacrilege for LAB putters??

Interesting... Looking forward to the results.

Edited by CasualLie

36 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

Yes it is lol. Likely you took the perfect balance out of balance

1 hour ago, xandersingh said:

I’d reach out to LAB to see how the internal weighting is set up and maybe they can provide some extra weights so the balance is not off.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Well the flood lights were out at the night golf course so I’ll have to wait till my next round on Wednesday!

Driver Taylormade Qi10

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Thanks for all the reviews, especially @SwingBlues who has provided exceptional levels of detail and follow up. Chapeau Sir! 

It seems like a few reviewers have been struggling with the Mezz on longer putts. How does it compare to other mallets in terms of forgiveness on off-centre strikes? Not having tried a DF putter, I'm assuming the lack of torque helps with this? 

Also @labgolf when will these be available to the public? 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Thanks for all the reviews, especially @SwingBlues who has provided exceptional levels of detail and follow up. Chapeau Sir! 

It seems like a few reviewers have been struggling with the Mezz on longer putts. How does it compare to other mallets in terms of forgiveness on off-centre strikes? Not having tried a DF putter, I'm assuming the lack of torque helps with this? 

Available now! The lag putting is a thing at first for sure. The lack of torque makes for a different feel that can take a minute to get used to. But once you do, its actually easier. Using gravity to control speed will always be more consistent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xandersingh said:

OH BOY! Its very likely that this putter is not out of balance. Send it back to us and we can add some weight and balance it properly. Or message me and I can take you through how to add tape and keep it in balance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, labgolf said:

For those of you testers who have spent at least a few total hours with your MEZZ.1, bring out one of your old putters to mess around with. Usually a very interesting experience to be able to feel the torque/twisting in conventional putters after spending a minute with our technology.

I've done this side-by-side comparison on the course a few times.  In fact, a couple months ago I decided to leave my DF 2.1 at home and bag my Odyssey blade putter for the day.  I've never felt more helpless on the golf course.  That's not to say Odyssey make bad putters because they clearly don't.  I just had no confidence because I legit didn't know where the ball was going on the green.  Lag putting was mediocre but short putts (inside 5 ft) were brutal.  The LAB putter hasn't left my bag since.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

It is INCREDIBLY forgiving on off-center hits. Honestly it just blows every traditional putter away in those regards.

I cant speak for everyone else on speed control on long putts but for me, when i did struggle with it, its because you are trained to pretty much let the putter swing itself, use very little hand or wrist manipulation. Works fine to a point. When you get those long putts, and you try to not use your hands or wrists, you will naturally struggle. Try hitting a long pitch shot with no wrists or hand manipulation. Similar concept. 

• Thanks 1

Saturday 1/8 played a round at Woodley Lakes GC, Los Angeles

Typically, the greens here are slow. Surprise. They were much faster than my whole group expected. We know these greens but the greens keepers sure spiced it up yesterday.

Front 9 was a bunch of "what the hell" moments. Nonetheless, our group picked up 2 birds on the Par 5 #8 hole, mine was a straight 5 ft

Back 9 was more fun though.

#11 is a Par 4 323 yard. Good drive and hit a hot chilli 49 yard pitch past green. Pitch it back to 10 ft pin high and rolled it in for a save.

#14 is a Par 4 dog leg. Drove well and left with a 112 yard. Push that to the bunker on the right. Left with about 32 ft bunker shot, dropped the ball to 8 ft past the hole. Mezzed it in for a slight left to right curler for a $5 sandy 😁

Last chance for another bird was the Par 5 #18. Had 13 feet but missed it on the high side.

Driving was good on that day but my 2nd shots really killed me. I think my niggling left shoulder doesn't take too kindly to the turf interaction.

All up, 32 putts for the day including a couple of 3 putts on the front. I just did not anticipate the speed of these greens at the start. Better on the back though.

Direction was good though and that's what really counts for me 👍

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Man, im jelly of all these people getting rounds in. Might get to next week if weather cooperates 

Yeah...here in SoCal, Los Angeles we don't get too much weather. After all, LA is a desert so we are lucky to golf pretty much every day except when it rains.

Hell, even if there are fires we still GOLF... ON-ON... 😁

image.png.a32d10b1059a5393c61afde2c3fe6982.png

image.png.2220c09ee51cc48adfe7c3f9bb3db9dc.png

Rattlers, don't bother us too much...

image.png.52b9698fdc77f8db5cb086d3bfe026bb.png

So here is a question for @labgolf - are there any intentions to expand the sight lines on the Mezz.1 to possible include a line along the face? One of the things I do miss from my Directed Force is the EASE to my eye to check my face is square as I had a nice lasered line along the face. Not so with Mezz.1. May be even change the sight lines to an off white?

Just asking...

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

14 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Yeah...here in SoCal, Los Angeles we don't get too much weather. After all, LA is a desert so we are lucky to golf pretty much every day except when it rains.

So here is a question for @labgolf - are there any intentions to expand the sight lines on the Mezz.1 to possible include a line along the face? One of the things I do miss from my Directed Force is the EASE to my eye to check my face is square as I had a nice lasered line along the face. Not so with Mezz.1. May be even change the sight lines to an off white?

Just asking...

At the moment, no plans to laser anywhere but the stainless portion but I'll burn one like that now to see how it comes out. I'll let you know!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Just asking...

@SwingBlues-

watched a YT video from a Korn Ferry Tour player and he said he uses this type of tool to mark up his ball which helps him square the putter at address.  It came in and I used it yesterday.  Really works well and over the ball the line looks dead straight.

https://www.golftrainingaids.com/products/spot-liner

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

30 minutes ago, labgolf said:

At the moment, no plans to laser anywhere but the stainless portion but I'll burn one like that now to see how it comes out. I'll let you know!

What about the 3 lines that are also on the 2.1?  I loved that alignment.  Not that the Mezz is bad but would love to see the 3 lines.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

20 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

@SwingBlues-

watched a YT video from a Korn Ferry Tour player and he said he uses this type of tool to mark up his ball which helps him square the putter at address.  It came in and I used it yesterday.  Really works well and over the ball the line looks dead straight.

https://www.golftrainingaids.com/products/spot-liner

Cool, thank you for the suggestion 👍 I got a number of cheap Chinese template golf ball line markers & just may be one of them may have a cross line like you shown. I have to check later this evening

Care to share that YouTube?

I also want to say, that face line was a really nice to have on my Directed Force, it's not a knock on the Mezz if it doesn't have it. I can still square the face easily on Mezz.1. Plus the Directed is such a huge head in comparison. I don't recall any on course putts that was ruined due to a badly aligned face cause by a pilot error...😀

Edited by SwingBlues

7 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Cool, thank you for the suggestion 👍 I got a number of cheap Chinese template golf ball line markers & just may be one of them may have a cross line like you shown. I have to check later this evening

Care to share that YouTube?

I also want to say, that face line was a really nice to have on my Directed Force, it's not a knock on the Mezz if it doesn't have it. I can still square the face easily on Mezz.1. Plus the Directed is such a huge head in comparison. I don't recall any on course putts that was ruined due to a badly aligned face cause by a pilot error...😀

Here you go.  Around the 11:20 mark he talks about the tool.

• Thanks 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

1 hour ago, Liveonce said:

Glad I held off buying one after reading some of the reviews. Still some kinks it sounds like they need to work out. 

I don't think there's any kinks with the Mezz.  It's a different offering compared to the DF 2.1 and the Blade.  I played with a guy last year who had the Blade in the bag and he was absolutely in love with it but said he just didn't get along with larger mallet putters from a visual standpoint.  Doesn't mean the Blade or the DF 2.1 are bad putters.  The putter, in my opinion, is one of the most personal clubs in the bag because for each person the feel, look, sight lines, weight, grip, shaft, and overall performance are going to be totally unique.  For the longest time I didn't care for larger mallet putters either and it took me a little while to get comfy with the DF 2.1 but now I can't see myself NOT gaming this putter because I'm so confident with it.

So far this test/review process has shown me that the Mezz isn't exactly similar to the DF 2.1 and that's totally fine.  Time will tell if the Mezz will perform well enough to find a permanent place in my bag but it's hard to argue against the technology that LAB uses in all of its putters.  What I admire by companies like LAB is that they don't need to fit into the same mold of other golf brands.  They seem to be pushing the envelope in putter technology and trying to make the game easier.  So far it's worked for me but it may not be a solution for everyone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Liveonce said:

Glad I held off buying one after reading some of the reviews. Still some kinks it sounds like they need to work out. 

From a review point of view, I do not see any kinks in the Mezz that needs "working out". The review I have done is just putting my thoughts, opinions and preferences into words and sharing them with everyone here in GolfWRX and in that context, I did not find anything lacking in my Mezz.1

Quite the opposite, I would say the milling and construction is TOP NOTCH along with a very well designed and good looking head. Take a real hard look at my pictures in the first post, it is flawless in the construction. Precise and symmetrical.

Form finally meets function at LABS GOlf 👍👍👍

Even the weights used to do the Lie Angle Balance are all well placed and well thought out and pleasing to the eye. God knows, us putter owners are the fussiest of all the club owners in WRX

Now, reviewers are humans. We like things certain ways, for example @xandersingh apparently likes his putter heavier for his swing. I like mine as is eventhough I came from a much heavier Directed Force putter. Now, I do like more sight lines but that's just me as I feel I AM SPOILED with my Directed Force. If I didn't have it, I could live with these existing sight lines - thats just our preferences and opinions, nothing to do with LABS. Infact, Xander's putter can probably be tweaked to accommodate him

An important part of the reviews are the feedback @labgolf gets from ordinary consumers like us. With feedback, things can improve. From what I know of LABS Golf, I recall the Directed Force started as version 1.0 and then it got better with each subsequent revision to 2.0 and 2.1.

And you know what? I AM THANKFUL for that a company would improve the lines of putters with time.

If I didn't have my Directed Force, I can EASILY SEE me picking up a Mezz.1 over the Directed Force.  And definitely I would pick a Lie Angle Balance over any face balance or toe hang putters. I have literally a full staff bag of those putters and I don't use them including an exotic MACHINE that cost well over $1,500 that my wife would KILL ME if she knew I didn't use it...ssssssshhhhh. Mums the word, now

Anyway, feel free to ask us reviewers any questions. We have a very diverse lot here and if there's anything you'd like us to try and test, I think we are accommodating to that as well... well, don't ask us to drive a ball with our Mezz.1 😜

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

From a review point of view, I do not see any kinks in the Mezz that needs "working out". The review I have done is just putting my thoughts, opinions and preferences into words and sharing them with everyone here in GolfWRX and in that context, I did not find anything lacking in my Mezz.1

Quite the opposite, I would say the milling and construction is TOP NOTCH along with a very well designed and good looking head. Take a real hard look at my pictures in the first post, it is flawless in the construction. Precise and symmetrical.

Form finally meets function at LABS GOlf 👍👍👍

Even the weights used to do the Lie Angle Balance are all well placed and well thought out and pleasing to the eye. God knows, us putter owners are the fussiest of all the club owners in WRX

Now, reviewers are humans. We like things certain ways, for example @xandersingh apparently likes his putter heavier for his swing. I like mine as is eventhough I came from a much heavier Directed Force putter. Now, I do like more sight lines but that's just me as I feel I AM SPOILED with my Directed Force. If I didn't have it, I could live with these existing sight lines - thats just our preferences and opinions, nothing to do with LABS. Infact, Xander's putter can probably be tweaked to accommodate him

An important part of the reviews are the feedback @labgolf gets from ordinary consumers like us. With feedback, things can improve. From what I know of LABS Golf, I recall the Directed Force started as version 1.0 and then it got better with each subsequent revision to 2.0 and 2.1.

And you know what? I AM THANKFUL for that a company would improve the lines of putters with time.

If I didn't have my Directed Force, I can EASILY SEE me picking up a Mezz.1 over the Directed Force.  And definitely I would pick a Lie Angle Balance over any face balance or toe hang putters. I have literally a full staff bag of those putters and I don't use them including an exotic MACHINE that cost well over $1,500 that my wife would KILL ME if she knew I didn't use it...ssssssshhhhh. Mums the word, now

Anyway, feel free to ask us reviewers any questions. We have a very diverse lot here and if there's anything you'd like us to try and test, I think we are accommodating to that as well... well, don't ask us to drive a ball with our Mezz.1 😜

Agreed! Don’t think there are any kinks per day to work out. The concept and the build are well though out and fantastic. Also LAB is going to tweak mine a bit to add some more weight to my putter! Really looking forward to discussing my before/after impressions when I get it back!

Driver Taylormade Qi10

4 hours ago, Liveonce said:

Curious, other than the headcover, what kinks are you referring to? Im going to be 100% honest with my review, no product is perfect, there is ALWAYS a give and take.

That being said the Mezz.1 is a really good product, and i dont see any “kinks” (other than headcover thing) to be worked out. Add in the large price reduction, you now can get one for the price of a betti or a scotty, and have it actually lower your scores. 

Taking a bit of a contrarian view, and a soft definition of "kinks" (i.e. flaws), I would say from a personal point of view there are a few kinks.  But it is personal, the "kinks" are not preventing function; they fall in the category of "form".  As it has been mentioned, the putter is the most personal.  It really does not matter how technically advanced it is, if you are not comfortable with it, you are going to miss putts.  Look at that crazy putter than can stand on its own on the green!  You can set it down and walk all around it to make sure it is perfectly lined up, but as soon as you get your hands on it, anything can happen.

The minor "kinks":

1. I do not like the sound off the face.  The ting like noise is inconsistent other than it is mostly there.  I find myself distracted and listening for it.  I do believe it the metal plate where the shaft is inserted that causes most of this, but I am not an engineer so I am likely wrong, but still...I wish the sound was not there.

2. The putter head is too angular looking, it needs softer lines that can blend into the background.  I liked the original DF for this reason, squared up at address, but the bigger back just blended.  It was too big though.  I asked Bill years ago, why not make the same ratio putter as the original DF, but at 60% scale?  Same tech, same look, just more compact?

I know I am being picky, but that's putting.  This is a very high quality putter and the tech is amazing, the grooves and roll superb.  Is it $650 worth of tech?  I don't know.  That's personal preference.

I do think what this putter boils down to is as a player can you go with a true face balance which necessitates a center shaft and a more of the feel of straight back and straight through?  If you already suck at putting, then this absolutely is your answer.  Let go of all your past baggage because it was not working anyway, and this putter will make you much, much better.  It's well worth $650 or more!  But if you are good at putting, good enough that it is not a weakness compared to the rest of your game, then I am not sure what this putter gets you.  

16 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Taking a bit of a contrarian view, and a soft definition of "kinks" (i.e. flaws), I would say from a personal point of view there are a few kinks.  But it is personal, the "kinks" are not preventing function; they fall in the category of "form".  As it has been mentioned, the putter is the most personal.  It really does not matter how technically advanced it is, if you are not comfortable with it, you are going to miss putts.  Look at that crazy putter than can stand on its own on the green!  You can set it down and walk all around it to make sure it is perfectly lined up, but as soon as you get your hands on it, anything can happen.

The minor "kinks":

1. I do not like the sound off the face.  The ting like noise is inconsistent other than it is mostly there.  I find myself distracted and listening for it.  I do believe it the metal plate where the shaft is inserted that causes most of this, but I am not an engineer so I am likely wrong, but still...I wish the sound was not there.

2. The putter head is too angular looking, it needs softer lines that can blend into the background.  I liked the original DF for this reason, squared up at address, but the bigger back just blended.  It was too big though.  I asked Bill years ago, why not make the same ratio putter as the original DF, but at 60% scale?  Same tech, same look, just more compact?

I know I am being picky, but that's putting.  This is a very high quality putter and the tech is amazing, the grooves and roll superb.  Is it $650 worth of tech?  I don't know.  That's personal preference.

I do think what this putter boils down to is as a player can you go with a true face balance which necessitates a center shaft and a more of the feel of straight back and straight through?  If you already suck at putting, then this absolutely is your answer.  Let go of all your past baggage because it was not working anyway, and this putter will make you much, much better.  It's well worth $650 or more!  But if you are good at putting, good enough that it is not a weakness compared to the rest of your game, then I am not sure what this putter gets you.  

Yea im not sure those would be considered “kinks” it most definitely is your personal opinion which is to be respected, but to qualify it as a “kink”, it would need something overwhelmingly agreeable by most.

Disagree with your assessment this is only for bad putters. Im a great putter, its one of my strengths. If it helps me hole just one more putt inside 10 feet a round its WELL worth it. I truly believe it can if you commit to the technique that is required.