2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

14 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBong: This bloke? Did you hear that related “hot mic” discussion between the 2 TV show hosts? 

Ozzy Man and the news readers pretty much reflect what the majority of Aussie's are thinking about this fiasco.

Out of interest, Ozzy Man is a very good golfer, plays off +1 at Royal Melbourne. Hits a long ball and an exceptional putter, also particularly good out of the sand (like many Aussies).

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @14.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° XCaliber FW S 42" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° Miyazaki Kuala T8 S 38.5" // Srixon Z565 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

20 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Ozzy Man and the news readers pretty much reflect what the majority of Aussie's are thinking about this fiasco.

Out of interest, Ozzy Man is a very good golfer, plays off +1 at Royal Melbourne. Hits a long ball and an exceptional putter, also particularly good out of the sand (like many Aussies).

@Rapidcat  The real winners of that 'hot mic' leak = Rebecca Maddern & Mike Amor (and Seven News!)

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/7-news-ratings-jump-after-rebecca-maddern-and-mike-amors-novak-djokovic-gaffe/news-story/4fe1ecb8e0c7b39114a2bde517394a00

E
xtract/Quote: 
"The faux pas — which was found to be leaked by an employee of caption company Ai-Media on Friday — even earned them notoriety across the pond, with US megastar Jimmy Kimmel applauding them on his talk show on Thursday.

“Whatever way you look at it, Novak Djokovic is a lying, sneaky a***hole,” Maddern rants in the video Kimmel aired.

The snippet was met with roars of laughter from the audience, and a nod from Kimmel himself who declared he would “watch the news every night” if it were delivered with such candour."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Rapidcat  The real winners of that 'hot mic' leak = Rebecca Maddern & Mike Amor (and Seven News!)

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/7-news-ratings-jump-after-rebecca-maddern-and-mike-amors-novak-djokovic-gaffe/news-story/4fe1ecb8e0c7b39114a2bde517394a00

E
xtract/Quote: 
"The faux pas — which was found to be leaked by an employee of caption company Ai-Media on Friday — even earned them notoriety across the pond, with US megastar Jimmy Kimmel applauding them on his talk show on Thursday.

“Whatever way you look at it, Novak Djokovic is a lying, sneaky a***hole,” Maddern rants in the video Kimmel aired.

The snippet was met with roars of laughter from the audience, and a nod from Kimmel himself who declared he would “watch the news every night” if it were delivered with such candour."

The hot mic news reader dialogue is pretty much standard Aussie conversation.

I suspect that it was leaked on purpose, Rebecca Maddern has just returned to Channel 7 after being with the main opposition and I'm guessing it was a positioning exercise with the public. The world's full of conspiracy theories though, so who really knows?

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @14.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° XCaliber FW S 42" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° Miyazaki Kuala T8 S 38.5" // Srixon Z565 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 1/14/2022 at 5:05 AM, Argonne69 said:

I'm surprised. The flipside is that she won't be eligible to play many tournaments before June, so why not finish her spring semester? 

Looks like she has been clever, as she only has 1 credit to go to get her degree so she will do that whilst playing professionally:

https://www.golfdigest.ie/news/how-do-you-decide-to-turn-pro-before-graduation-when-your-parents-are-professors-gina-kim-figured-it-out

"If you’re still in college and have the chance to leave early to turn pro, it’s never an easy decision. You have to think about the team and coaches you’re leaving behind. You have to think about the opportunity ahead of you and what it could mean for your career. But if you’re Gina Kim, the Duke University senior who made it through Q Series in December to earn LPGA Tour status, you also have to think about the fact that your parents are university professors. How exactly do you tell them you’re going to leave college early to play professional golf?
You figure out a way to turn pro and still graduate on time, that’s how."

With both her parents as professors I guess no surprise on her desire to graduate.

Leona Maguire had a similar motivation with both her parents being teachers and so chose to graduate before turning pro.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Looks like she has been clever, as she only has 1 credit to go to get her degree so she will do that whilst playing professionally:

https://www.golfdigest.ie/news/how-do-you-decide-to-turn-pro-before-graduation-when-your-parents-are-professors-gina-kim-figured-it-out

"If you’re still in college and have the chance to leave early to turn pro, it’s never an easy decision. You have to think about the team and coaches you’re leaving behind. You have to think about the opportunity ahead of you and what it could mean for your career. But if you’re Gina Kim, the Duke University senior who made it through Q Series in December to earn LPGA Tour status, you also have to think about the fact that your parents are university professors. How exactly do you tell them you’re going to leave college early to play professional golf?
You figure out a way to turn pro and still graduate on time, that’s how."

With both her parents as professors I guess no surprise on her desire to graduate.

Leona Maguire had a similar motivation with both her parents being teachers and so chose to graduate before turning pro.

I assumed she'd have a plan to graduate. One doesn't spend 3 1/2 years at Duke and walk away without a degree with the hopes of making a few cuts before May. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The Golf Channel will replay the final round of 2022 Australian PGA and Women's PGA Championship at 6:00 AM, Sunday, January 16.  Su Oh will play the final group with two PGA members Jediah Morgan and Andrew Dodt.

There have been quite a battle between Su Oh and other LPGA and Symetra Tour members.  Scores after Round 3 are:

Leaderboard

1. Su Oh                                                  -7
  2. Sarah Jane Smith                               -5
  3. Grace Kim                                           -5
  4. Karis Davidson                                    Even

Like Gabriela Ruffels, Grace Kim, a very talented player, failed to advance out of Stage II of 2021 LPGA Q-School.  The motivation will be sky high for Grace to beat the other three LPGA members.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The Golf Channel will replay the final round of 2022 Australian PGA and Women's PGA Championship at 6:00 AM, Sunday, January 16.  Su Oh will play the final group with two PGA members Jediah Morgan and Andrew Dodt.

There have been quite a battle between Su Oh and other LPGA and Symetra Tour members.  Scores after Round 3 are:

Leaderboard

1. Su Oh                                                  -7
  2. Sarah Jane Smith                               -5
  3. Grace Kim                                           -5
  4. Karis Davidson                                    Even

Like Gabriela Ruffels, Grace Kim, a very talented player, failed to advance out of Stage II of 2021 LPGA Q-School.  The motivation will be sky high for Grace to beat the other three LPGA members.

Watched this last night -- Su Oh and Grace Kim were trading "double bogeys" at one point relinquishing the lead LOL.  It's actually LIVE and being called by Alison Whitaker  (one of my favorites in terms of broadcasters in Asian/Australasian/European Golf coverage) on FOX Sports Australia 503 ☺︎

Edited by Supermilo
  • Like 1

Milo of Croton would consume raw bull's meat in front of his adversary and would drink raw bull's blood for energy and vitality

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Are you sure?  Su Oh is scheduled to tee off at 8:35 PM EDT tonight, and the broadcast won't start until 6:30 AM EDT tomorrow morning.

Australian TV - was watching it at midnight ET last night LOL... 

• Like 1

Milo of Croton would consume raw bull's meat in front of his adversary and would drink raw bull's blood for energy and vitality

5 minutes ago, KBong said:

Ya ya ya.

You and your VPN.

just go to Richmond (BC of course) and Inquire about how to do it! LOL.  I'm sure they'll be able to help...

Edited by Supermilo
  • Haha 1

So are there Covid travel issues that would prevent SORE LOSER Minjee from playing?....or is this event too 'low class" for her...same with Hannah.

You'd think Minjee might want to play cause Min Woo is playing. The organizers could have paired them together for rds 1 & 2.

Let's go Su Oh...win this....at least you have the CLASS to play and you're not STUCK UP like some of your fellow countrywomen.

Oh ya.....eye candy Nikki Garrett is playing...but likely will get no TV coverage.

36 minutes ago, KBong said:

What???....only the Great People of China...aka Richmond, BC.... know how to access the coverage?🤣

Some signage in Richmond.

spacer.png

spacer.png

@KBong is that Yaohan sign = current? I thought Yaohan was defunct worldwide/ went into restructuring with a new name! (eg replaced by Best Denki/other)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBong is that Yaohan sign = current? I thought Yaohan was defunct worldwide/ went into restructuring with a new name! (eg replaced by Best Denki/other)

What....just because I'm a member of the Great People of China....you think I know everything Chinese related.🤣

(see below)

I assume the Yaohan signage is current.....I don't venture much to China Central (Richmond, BC).....it's on the opposite side of town for me and a pain to drive through Vancouver to get there....it's also ATROCIOUS to get a parking space there too...it's always full.

I just did a Google....I didn't know Yaohan started in Japan...went bankrupt and now under new ownership....as you know.

Don't you live in Singapore?...there's an Asia tour event there now....are you attending?....though there might be no spectators allowed (Covid???).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KBong said:

So are there Covid travel issues that would prevent SORE LOSER Minjee from playing?....or is this event too 'low class" for her...same with Hannah.

You'd think Minjee might want to play cause Min Woo is playing. The organizers could have paired them together for rds 1 & 2.

Let's go Su Oh...win this....at least you have the CLASS to play and you're not STUCK UP like some of your fellow countrywomen.

Oh ya.....eye candy Nikki Garrett is playing...but likely will get no TV coverage.

That's the reality, Australia is just a disaster of changeable travel rules with every state seemingly applying different rules and a recent history of state and territory lockdowns with no notice. Rules change constantly, there is little certainty, you could end up here and not being able to get out for some time.

There's NO WAY I'd be risking it if I was Minjee or Hannah. As an example, consider that Can Smith hasn't been back to Australia in TWO years (which explains why his hair is how it is, if he'd have been home his mother would take her scissors to it I suspect).

Good on Sue, Sarah Jane and the others but they are one or more levels below Hannah and Minjee in reality and getting even a minor win for them would be something.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

That's the reality, Australia is just a disaster of changeable travel rules with every state seemingly applying different rules and a recent history of state and territory lockdowns with no notice. Rules change constantly, there is little certainty, you could end up here and not being able to get out for some time.

In Canada, we have provincial mandates on Covid protocols.

We are trying to contain Omicron/Covid.

In Canada, there are various forms on lockdowns or restrictions. No gathering.

At times....some NHL games either cancelled or played without fans.

I'm watching the NFL playoffs now.

70,000 Yanks sitting side bye each...yelling and screaming for 4 hours.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KBong said:

In Canada, we have provincial mandates on Covid protocols.

We are trying to contain Omicron/Covid.

In Canada, there are various forms on lockdowns or restrictions. No gathering.

Some NHL games either cancelled or played without fans.

I'm watching the NFL playoffs now.

70,000 Yanks sitting side bye each...yelling and screaming for 4 hours.

Consider that the Oz Open tennis starts next week (we're on Novak decision watch today) and there will be 1,000's attending but now with a 50% (sort of) crowd capacity limit and you must be double vaxed at least to attend as a spectator.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KBong said:

What???....only the Great People of China...aka Richmond, BC.... know how to access the coverage?🤣

Some signage in Richmond.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was about to say but @Junglejimbo beat me to it. That Yaohan sign is exactly as it was before too lol! Copied through and through lol. Best Denki haha, I doubt KBong knows what that is... Orchard Road lah. SPG lah, lots in ang mo bars lah

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Singapore?...there's an Asia tour event there now

The Asian Tour PGA event = some interesting  watching! 
very windy = many over-par scores on what’s usually a benign course layout. 

https://www.scmp.com/sport/golf/article/3163286/asian-tour-joshi-makes-early-running-wind-batters-golfers-singapore

(“Asian Tour: Joshi makes early running as wind batters golfers at Singapore International

...Indian professional claims early two-shot lead as Asian Tour returns at Tanah Merah Country Club Players battle 35km/h winds and a tough course during first round on Thursday

SCMP Sport

8:24pm, 13 Jan, 2022”)

..p/s: there’s a Thai 14yr old (?) amateur in the lead ie Not just Thai gals making waves on the pro golf tours 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

The Australasian PGA and WPGA tournaments just finished. Su Oh got the W. Fan boys go wild.

Was this tournament shown globally? i don't know.

These are strange times. The woman's tournament was a 24-player field. There were 45 shots difference between first and last, over 72 holes (no cut)! The entire field was spread throughout that range. i.e. a very low strength field, for all the obvious reasons. LPGA players dominated Australasian tour players, with Su Oh, Sarah Jane Smith and Karis Davison capturing 3 of the top 4 spots, even though none of them have an LPGA win yet. Karis, who you may not have heard of, has qualified for LPGA2022, after a few years on JLPGA.

But I want to have a whinge about this combined tournament format - men's and women's tournaments played together. Now I know some of you like the Vic Open format, but I don't - and this WPGA format was detestable!! To my shame, Australia seems to be at the forefront pushing this woke nonsense.

• Someone interested in the women would be disappointed to see that they account for about 35% of the coverage, while the men get the other 65%. But there are no winners. Followers of the men are only getting partial coverage of their tournament.
  • Pairings were groups of 2 men & 1 woman. Ludicrous!! I cannot begin to describe how wrong this is. No woman gets to see a competitor. Players within a group play of different tees, which is a bad look. it didn't help that that the woman's field was so weak.
  • Equal prize-money?! i think it leads to a very bad place. It feels very contrived.

It didn't help that i had to listen to Australian commentators. Ugh. Looking forward to the LPGA team shortly.

I pray that LPGA does not go down this path.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

The Australasian PGA and WPGA tournaments just finished. Su Oh got the W. Fan boys go wild.

These are strange times. The woman's tournament was a 24-player field. There were 45 shots difference between first and last, over 72 holes (no cut)! The entire field was spread throughout that range. i.e. a very low strength field, for all the obvious reasons. LPGA players dominated Australasian tour players, with Su Oh, Sarah Jane Smith and Karis Davison capturing 3 of the top 4 spots, even though none of them have an LPGA win yet. Karis, who you may not have heard of, has qualified for LPGA2022, after a few years on JLPGA.

But I want to have a whinge about this combined tournament format - men's and women's tournaments played together. Now I know some of you like the Vic Open format, but I don't - and this WPGA format was detestable!! To my shame, Australia seems to be at the forefront pushing this woke nonsense.

• Someone interested in the women would be disappointed to see that they account for about 35% of the coverage, while the men get the other 65%. But there are no winners. Followers of the men are only getting partial coverage of their tournament.
  • Pairings were groups of 2 men & 1 woman. Ludicrous!! I cannot begin to describe how wrong this is. No woman gets to see a competitor. Players within a group play of different tees, which is a bad look. it didn't help that that the woman's field was so weak.
  • Equal prize-money?! i think it leads to a very bad place. It feels very contrived.

It didn't help that i had to listen to Australian commentators. Ugh. Looking forward to the LPGA team shortly.

@Raving Shanker (or @Rapidcat @Supermilo?)

Did Stephanie Kyriacou compete in this WPGA? 

a month ago, the PGA of Australia did a write up to indicate Kyriacou would be participating (Link here: https://pga.org.au/news/rising-lpga-stars-confirmed-for-wpga-championship/)

...But! I didn’t see her name on the Leaderboard published today (Link here: https://pga.org.au/report/?tourn=0712&report=tmscores~season=2021~params=P*4ESC04~&class=aus)

...unless Kyriacou =now goes by “Stephanie Bunque”? (Finished T8?)

..p/s: Interesting story about Karis Davidson’s eventful completion of the recent LPGA Q-Series finals & how she almost got dinged (or DQ’d?) for her scorecard? (Link: https://www.golf.org.au/how-karis-davidson-survived-every-pro-golfers-worst-nightmare/)

..Edit: Belatedly googled & found out that Kyriacou and Sarah Kemp had to withdraw late, due to Covid.  https://www.golf.org.au/marquee-groups-finalised-for-fortinet-australian-pga-and-wpga-championships/ 

(Extract: "LPGA Tour players Stephanie Kyriacou and Sarah Kemp have been forced to withdraw from the tournament due to returning positive Covid cases.

Kyriacou returned two positive RAT tests on Tuesday which was confirmed by a PCR test on Wednesday afternoon.

Kemp also returned two positive RATs on Wednesday morning and as a PCR result won’t be known prior to the commencement of the tournament has been forced to withdraw.") 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

It was shown on Sky U.K. but not watched for more than 30 secs by me. Probably the organisers were hamstrung by Aus rules but I agree with the sentiments you express so well. 

Unfortunately the Aus dialect, like many others, including mine, can annoy listeners. Sorry. 

Edited by Pastit

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

The format can be the way forward.

Does it need some adjustment - yep, probably.

There will need experimentation and tweaks to get this right, no doubt.

Will take multiple iterations but at least it is a start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastit said:

It was shown on Sky U.K. but not watched for more than 30 secs by me. Probably the organisers were hamstrung by Aus rules but I agree with the sentiments you express so well. 

Unfortunately the Aus dialect, like many others, including mine, can annoy listeners. Sorry. 

thanks, searched & found it on youtube thanks to your comment!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PGAofAus/videos

• Like 2