Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

This is an annual thread for Colorado residents. Feel free to post anything Colorado golf-related in this thread. For example...

• Great deals on green fees or club memberships
  • Recommendations for Colorado club fitters, swing coaches, etc.
  • Looking for a playing partner/golf league/club membership
  • Colorado golf course news/reviews
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... in January
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing snow gear ... in June
  • Accomplishing the Colorado duofecta of skiing and golfing on the same day

If you're new to Colorado, welcome! If you're a long-time Coloradan who just discovered this thread, welcome! Please introduce yourself!

• Like 3

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Happy 2022, everyone! I'll repeat what we used as an ice-breaker from last year...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year?
  • What gear do plan on buying this year?
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?
  • Any fun golf trips planned?
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, pseudoswede said:

Happy 2022, everyone! I'll repeat what we used as an ice-breaker from last year...

Unfortunately, it’s probably a no to all of them. 
1: I’m too old, and play too infrequently to really undertake much of a serious improvement regimen. I’ll just continue to try and find a swing thought that works for a while, and on the occasions it does, ride it while it lasts. 

2: No plans for any new equipment (but it won’t stop me from looking)!

3: Won’t join, but probably continue to work the proshop a couple nights a week to get the free golf. Although if one person decides not to play this year, his partner has asked me to take his place.  So maybe….if I can get someone else to work that night!

4: No major trips. Probably a couple weekends back to Nebraska and Wyoming for a couple of weekend tournaments. Wouldn’t mind being to take advantage of one Dancin’s generous offers and get to Ballyneal one day. 

Really hope to be able to hook up with some of the people here for a few rounds.  

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 3

Cheers to 2022!  

1. Stay at a single digit and not creep back up like I did at one point last year...would like to end up in the 7-8 range this year (ended the season at a 9).  Need to improve penalties off the tee big time.  Driving is both my strength and weakness which creates quite the issues sometimes.  Other than that I need to get really dialed in with my 30-80 yard shots.  

Also going to try to play a lot more rounds with my hickory clubs.  I've been playing a lot with my son recently and it's just so fun playing with them, plus it's a good reason to move up in yardage and play from where my son plays.  

2. New wedges but that's about it, happy with my irons and woods.  Maybe a new hybrid if something wows me but it will take a lot to get the trusty King F7 out of the bag.  

3. I'll do the CG men's club again and am really thinking about the yearly membership there.  Don't think a private club is in the works.  

4.  Going to Pinehurst in March!  Playing 1, 2, and 4 plus the cradle, then going across the street to play Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines.  Going out to Kohler again in May to play Whistling and Irish again, plus probably the Blackwolf courses but we will see.  Both trips will be with the hickory clubs. 

• Like 3

Here is to everyone's 2022 golf plans coming true..!

1. Nothing specific. Given how the second half of the year went, just work on getting back to  swinging normal again.

2.  One of the few times, but pretty happy with my current setup.  Maybe shaft updates in the hybrids.

3. No plans currently. This year more focused on getting out and play with friends and other WRX'ers and just enjoy the round

4. Nothing currently.  Few ideas and locations I am thinking about but no specific plans.

Will be in Hawaii end of January and playing a few courses so I guess somewhat counts.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 3

1. Play more! 
2. Possible iron upgrades. Let’s see what PING comes out with. 
3. Hopefully! Been wanting to join Pradera for a couple years. But it depends on my travel schedule. 
4. I travel a ton for work so been pretty lucky to play all over the country wherever I am. 

• Like 3

Driver: G400 LST 8.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Fairway: G400 14.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Hybrid: G410 19* Ping Tour XStiff 85

Irons: i200 4-UW Dynamic Gold x100 Midsize grips +1 1/2" White Dot 

Wedges: Vokey SM7 54* and 58* +1 1/2" 2* upright Midsize grips

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

Ball: Pro V1

• Better iron play, more accurate approach shots into the greens.  More GIR.
  • No plans to purchase any equipment.
  • No plans as usual due to frequent travel.
  • Going to The Masters for a Tuesday practice round.  Will play in the Atlanta area on the Monday the day before.
  • Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Missed this. The owners of the Cabot courses have purchased World Woods north of Tampa and a couple other courses around it. Fazio's Pine Barrens is maybe going to get restored or maybe it's a blowup and redesign. Sounds like the other course at WW is definitely a blowup and redesign along with the other courses they bought. Will be nice to see Pine Barrens get back to it's former glory. I really enjoyed it when I played it a couple years after it opened but conditioning fell off dramatically over the years.

https://twitter.com/drewharvie/status/1475929960938409990

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 2

• All facets!  Love to grind!
  • Stealth on order as well as an Evnroll Arm Lock
  • Play competitive in Colorado and Nationally
  • Headed to Puerto Vallarta 1/16 - Intend to travel to Pinehurst for North & South in August.
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, tssgj65 said:

Anyone know of good golf club's to join in the South Denver area?

There is a number of them.  You looking like mens club or joining an actual CC?   Mens club I think South subarban is pretty good and they are updating the course.   Not south but everyone seems to join Common Ground as it probably has the better players for mens club.

3 hours ago, tssgj65 said:

Anyone know of good golf club's to join in the South Denver area?

Welcome to the thread, @tssgj65!

If you're talking about country clubs...

• Meridian (Nicklaus-designed course; zero other amenities besides golf)
  • Club Corp (I've been told is basically impossible to get decent weekend tee times)
  • Pinery/Pradera (basically where people who are sick of Club Corp join)
  • University of Denver Golf Club (aka Highlands Ranch Golf Course; technically semi-private)
  • Inverness Golf Club (semi-private in DTC) 
  • Perry Park Country Club (far south Denver)

If you got a decent bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket...

• Valley Country Club (looks like a nice place)
  • Country Club at Castle Pines
  • Cherry Creek Country Club (technically south Denver city; Nicklaus-designed course)
  • Glenmoor Country Club (Pete Dye design basically in the middle of Denver metro)
  • Golf Club at Revenna (far southwest Denver metro; friend says it's a spectacular course)

If you take a private jet to Aspen to ski for the day...

• Colorado Golf Club
  • Castle Pines Golf Club

Here is the full list with numbers... https://issuu.com/coloradoavidgolfer/docs/cag_0421_privateclubguide

Edited by pseudoswede

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

Welcome to the thread, @tssgj65!

If you're talking about country clubs...

• Meridian (Nicklaus-designed course; zero other amenities besides golf)
  • Club Corp (I've been told is basically impossible to get decent weekend tee times)
  • Pinery/Pradera (basically where people who are sick of Club Corp join)
  • University of Denver Golf Club (aka Highlands Ranch Golf Course; technically semi-private)
  • Inverness Golf Club (semi-private in DTC) 
  • Perry Park Country Club (far south Denver)

If you got a decent bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket...

• Valley Country Club (looks like a nice place)
  • Country Club at Castle Pines
  • Cherry Creek Country Club (technically south Denver city; Nicklaus-designed course)
  • Glenmoor Country Club (Pete Dye design basically in the middle of Denver metro)
  • Golf Club at Revenna (far southwest Denver metro; friend says it's a spectacular course)

If you take a private jet to Aspen to ski for the day...

• Colorado Golf Club
  • Castle Pines Golf Club

Here is the full list with numbers... https://issuu.com/coloradoavidgolfer/docs/cag_0421_privateclubguide

Thanks for the info.  My son is a member at Meridian and will probably join there.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that link Pseudo, I haven’t seen it for a while. Wondered how much the amounts have changed since I last looked. 

I should probably join Eaton. From what I’ve heard about the place it’s a pretty good bargain. 20 minutes just  seems so long to drive, I know it really isnt, but when you’re only five minutes away from the local track it feels that way. 

Ptarmigan and Harmony both seem fairly reasonable to me compared to Greeley Country Club. 

• Like 1

I would guess all the amounts on the 2021 list have risen. I know mine raised the dues this year after not changing them for 7 years. Equipment, seed and fertilizer are orders of magnitude higher in cost this year assuming they can even get it. It's going to be a tough year for superintendents whose courses didn't increase their budgets.

If I lived up there I would join Harmony. Not as cheap as Eaton but I think it is a lot better. Greeley doesn't deserve what they charge but like The Ranch they get away with it due to location and no competition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

I would guess all the amounts on the 2021 list have risen. I know mine raised the dues this year after not changing them for 7 years. Equipment, seed and fertilizer are orders of magnitude higher in cost this year assuming they can even get it. It's going to be a tough year for superintendents whose courses didn't increase their budgets.

If I lived up there I would join Harmony. Not as cheap as Eaton but I think it is a lot better. Greeley doesn't deserve what they charge but like The Ranch they get away with it due to location and no competition.

Very true. Harmony looks awfully nice, and I’ve heard the indoor facility is top notch (although I don’t know if the members have access to that or not, or if it’s just for CSU). 

I think Fort Collins is the only private I’ve played here so I really don’t have much to base things on. I thought Greeley was something like $400 a month when we moved here three years ago, now up around $600. More than what I would want to spend (at least based on what I can see from the road)!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:49 AM, tssgj65 said:
  • All facets!  Love to grind!
  • Stealth on order as well as an Evnroll Arm Lock
  • Play competitive in Colorado and Nationally
  • Headed to Puerto Vallarta 1/16 - Intend to travel to Pinehurst for North & South in August.

Ooooooo, grinders unite! Welcome from a partial poster.

See you on the CGA/USGA Tour™ assuming you're keeping the Am status.

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

I live across the street from Legacy. If they were open yesterday, the fairways must have been half snow covered. Anything with shade hasn't melted much at all in Westminster. You sure he didn't mean Walnut?

Im sure he said Legacy Ridge. Maybe there was a misunderstanding between the three of us since I was getting it 3rd hand. Maybe their range was open?  

I know I was skeptical after seeing the other two places. 

Hi everyone!

I'm recently back in Denver for the next 6-9 months.  Have spent the last 10 years living in Toronto and will likely be back in the late summer/fall.

Background:  I played a lot as a junior, was top 50 in Minnesota when I was around 13, was all-state in high school in the late 90s in Colorado.  Was a walk-on (kind of "practice squad) at Iowa State for a year, but never played in a tournament for the team-  I quit to focus on academics.  Got down to a low of +3.4 handicap in around 2008.  Personal best round was 65 in the opening months of CommonGround golf course (after renovation) with a 30 on the front 9.  I think it was one stroke off the course record for a year or two.  I never pursued much other than a couple local tournaments, though. Nothing special, I've always been super inconsistent with my driver and that made it hard for me to play on really tricky, long setups like USGA qualifiers, etc.  I played Murphy Creek in the days before the 2008 US Amateur PubLinks and got totally owned by the course.  Probably shot 83.  I lost a ball that I thought was going to be 10 feet from the pin.  It was painful.

Anyway, then things changed.  I was raising a couple kids and full time job and golf was feeling expensive.  I was having trouble enjoying it when I kept getting worse and worse each month as I didn't practice.   So I quit playing.  I put in about one round per year for most of the last 12-13 years.  A work-related scramble, fathers day with the kid, or something like that.

I came back to it late this summer (August) when I came back to Denver and caught the bug again.

Started out with a handful of rounds in the high 80s, but with some practice, ended with a (kinda) consistent mid-high-70s game and a couple of even par rounds this summer (one at Indian Peaks, one at Walnut Creek).  Just bought a house in Westminster (at Legacy Ridge).  Will live there for the season and probably rent it out if/when I go back to Canada in the fall.

For my goals this year:  My driving is still my weakness.   I think my iron play is still scratch-range, but the driver is like 12 handicap range.  Short game is somewhere in the middle.  So working on the short game and driver without losing touch with the irons is the goal for the year.

Actually looking for a good coach/teacher to work on driver.  It just looks so awful on video, I hardly know where to start.  Casting, flipping, spinning.  And then I grab my 2i and hit it pure and consistent and nearly as far (sigh).  So that's my struggle.

I still have my irons from university.  Old 1997 Mizuno T-Zoid Pro kit.  2-PW, dynamic golf stiff.  Really pure irons.   I finally broke down and got a 2H to replace the 2i (the old 18 degree forged knife the size of my fingernail is too unforgiving these days), willing to play around a little more.   I got a Titleist 905R back in the day and finally replaced that with a TM SIM Max (and matching 3w), which feels so nice in comparison.  I have a line on some Srixon ZX7 irons that I hit about 20 yards further than my old Mizunos (tho the loft is only 1-2 degrees stronger).  Still deciding if it's worth the money - I don't mind the old irons, even if they're small and pretty worn.

That's all.  Nice to virtually meet you.

Edited by EricMatt
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Im sure he said Legacy Ridge. Maybe there was a misunderstanding between the three of us since I was getting it 3rd hand. Maybe their range was open?  

I know I was skeptical after seeing the other two places. 

I was at Legacy Ridge today.  The mats on the range were open, but the course itself (and the range too) was completely snow-covered.

spacer.png

Edited by EricMatt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EricMatt said:

I was at Legacy Ridge today.  The mats on the range were open, but the course itself (and the range too) was completely snow-covered.

spacer.png

Thanks Eric.  I’ll be back in Denver tomorrow, hopefully I’ll see the guy who was supposedly playing. Maybe I can find out the story ( which pretty much looks like he couldn’t have played). 

And also, welcome!

5 hours ago, EricMatt said:

Hi everyone!

I'm recently back in Denver for the next 6-9 months.  Have spent the last 10 years living in Toronto and will likely be back in the late summer/fall.

Welcome (back), @EricMatt!

I definitely can relate with trying to find time to keep your game up while raising a family. Now that my kids are mid/late teenagers, I've now more time to go out and golf, but now I'm older and lazy and don't feel like grinding on the range anymore. 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Thanks Eric.  I’ll be back in Denver tomorrow, hopefully I’ll see the guy who was supposedly playing. Maybe I can find out the story ( which pretty much looks like he couldn’t have played). 

And also, welcome!

Thanks!

Here's a pano of the 18th yesterday at sunset.spacer.png

While it's pretty, it's not playable.  🙂

Edited by EricMatt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Welcome (back), @EricMatt!

I definitely can relate with trying to find time to keep your game up while raising a family. Now that my kids are mid/late teenagers, I've now more time to go out and golf, but now I'm older and lazy and don't feel like grinding on the range anymore. 😄

The youngest kid is at CU Boulder right now so it's nice to be close by.  🙂 

Actually getting him his first set of clubs since he was quite little for his birthday this year.  We got out for Father's day this year and he has really enjoyed the once a year rounds we did in the past.

As for me, I always was a bit of a range rat.  I actually have a ton of fun just playing around on the range, messing with shot shapes, trying swing stuff, etc.

Wish I had a full bay with good cameras and a screen and things on a regular basis.  I got one of the memberships at the PGA Superstore for $150 with unlimited bay time, so that's not a bad deal, but the camera is front-only and kinda crap and the system they use (especially hitting into nets) isn't perfect and doesn't give clubhead data at all, which is also too bad.

Still, better than sitting indoors.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EricMatt said:

Wish I had a full bay with good cameras and a screen and things on a regular basis.  I got one of the memberships at the PGA Superstore for $150 with unlimited bay time, so that's not a bad deal, but the camera is front-only and kinda crap and the system they use (especially hitting into nets) isn't perfect and doesn't give clubhead data at all, which is also too bad.

The Sports Stable up the road has indoor simulators. No idea what kind. https://www.angryhorse.com/golf

I'm sure there are other ones in the area with TrackMans. But since you basically live up near Wyoming, I never make it up to that area often. 😄

(That said, I will absolutely go out of my way to hit this Chinese BBQ place in Westminster. I usually pick up 3 lbs of their BBQ pork and roast pork belly to bring home. My kids and I devour it in a few days.)

Edited by pseudoswede

11 hours ago, EricMatt said:

Actually looking for a good coach/teacher to work on driver.  It just looks so awful on video, I hardly know where to start.  Casting, flipping, spinning.  And then I grab my 2i and hit it pure and consistent and nearly as far (sigh).  So that's my struggle.

Welcome back! Actually, one of the best instructors/coaches in CO is 5 mins from you. Just about all the best players north of Denver (I don't know that many on the other side) go see Ed Oldham. I go see him 2-3 times a year and he gets me going in the right direction every time.

I can also recommend the Sports Stable. I went all winter last year and it was solid. The bays they use are OK but definitely not close to Trackman/GCQuad. The methodology is basically two "laser grids" right in front of the screen that the ball passes through and measurements are taken. Last year I paid $100/mo and got 2h/day for it. That price was worth it for me.

• Like 1