2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you club twirl?

Kmagnuss

Do you club twirl?  

297 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, hunterdog said:

A “helicopter” is when the club is lateral with the ground; future HOFer McIroy “helicoptered” the club into the lake at Doral in 2015.  Tommy Bolt, already in HOF, would “twirl” the club down a fairway.  

I read that Tommy got DQ’d for helicoptering his complete bag into a river. Truly a HOF tosser.

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

7 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

I read that Tommy got DQ’d for helicoptering his complete bag into a river. Truly a HOF tosser.

The first time I played golf at Black Diamond Ranch Tommy Bolt was on the range hitting balls. They had a range attendant placed to warn newcomers to NOT approach or try to talk to him. Supposedly, he would go sideways on you if his practice session was interrupted. I liked him before that, and REALLY liked him after. Not sure how old he was at the time, but his swing was still incredible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RSinSG said:

If he had “twirled” his 5-iron down the fairway there’d have been no DQ.  As an aside, after a player deposits all of his clubs into a lake, is a DQ really necessary🤣

Edited by hunterdog

I may or may not have twirled ... but I absolutely do the OG relaxed yet smug followthrough stare-down after puring one ...

nicklaus-driving-847-gettyimages.jpg

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I do sometimes just naturally. It’s not something that I ever started because pros do it, it just comes out naturally at times without even thinking about it

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

28 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

I do sometimes just naturally. It’s not something that I ever started because pros do it, it just comes out naturally at times without even thinking about it

Same here.  I didn't even realize it was a thing until this thread

Edited by dugue4

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

On 1/2/2022 at 9:36 AM, dlygrisse said:

I used to, but now I just grimace, curse and grab my lower back. 

You too??  LOL

• Like 3

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, someone has to defend the twirlers here ...

I think for a lot of us, it's unconscious and I would have to assume most of us aren't doing it to look cool, it just sort of happens.  Golf is a game of hyper focus.  There is nothing else in my mind other than the task at hand.  I literally have no idea if anyone else is even watching me.  If I stone flush one and it's on an absolutely perfect line and I happen to twirl, it is because the execution was there and I'm proud of myself in that exact moment, almost a subconscious form of positive reinforcement.  I couldn't care less if anyone else even notices.  Golf gives you so few 'wins' that if you don't enjoy them when they come what are you even doing out there?

All that being said, much like dancing in the endzone when you're down 49-10, there's a time and a place for everything.  

• Like 3

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I'm not coordinated enough to do that.  LOL 😂

• Haha 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

6 hours ago, iknowbagu said:

Ok, someone has to defend the twirlers here ...

I think for a lot of us, it's unconscious and I would have to assume most of us aren't doing it to look cool, it just sort of happens.  Golf is a game of hyper focus.  There is nothing else in my mind other than the task at hand.  I literally have no idea if anyone else is even watching me.  If I stone flush one and it's on an absolutely perfect line and I happen to twirl, it is because the execution was there and I'm proud of myself in that exact moment, almost a subconscious form of positive reinforcement.  I couldn't care less if anyone else even notices.  Golf gives you so few 'wins' that if you don't enjoy them when they come what are you even doing out there?

All that being said, much like dancing in the endzone when you're down 49-10, there's a time and a place for everything.  

Oh no my friend, I TOTALLY do it on purpose! While this all happens in a matter of seconds, this is how I see the situation play out…I hit a good/great shot, I know I hit that shot, I know my buddies are watching so I know they know it was a good shot, it is now time to REMIND them that I hit that shot! I work hard on the twirl so that when I’m on course I can execute it when the situation requires arrogance. I even have a couple different twirls in my repertoire. #EliteLevelTwirlGame

• Haha 3

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

Personally I like a golfer who can do this when executing a great shot.  I don't see it as a sign of arrogance at all.  I see it as a total self acknowledgement of a shot struck well.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Not only do I twirl but id the shot was good enough I twerk too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I definitely club twirl. Kind of a subconscious thing at this point. I definitely notice that I do it more after what I perceive is a good shot.
To be honest, I am not sure why it is an issue for some folks. We are all influenced by our favorite players, or people we have looked up to (PGA tour player, teacher/coach, parent or relative, friends), and sometimes take on their habits. Little habits can be seen in all sports.  Admittedly, some habits are more annoying than others. For example, in basketball, talking trash all game and NOT being able to back it up is more annoying than the player that holds their follow through after every shot. I find a club twirl to be much less annoying than the person throwing a tantrum the entire round because they are not playing to their expectations-or the hack “offering swing advice”. If a little twirl is enough to throw someone off their own game, then that is their problem. If it pisses someone off enough to make them play better and stomp me, than I am going to have to step up my game as well. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

On 1/20/2022 at 6:24 PM, MikeW2 said:

Oh no my friend, I TOTALLY do it on purpose! While this all happens in a matter of seconds, this is how I see the situation play out…I hit a good/great shot, I know I hit that shot, I know my buddies are watching so I know they know it was a good shot, it is now time to REMIND them that I hit that shot! I work hard on the twirl so that when I’m on course I can execute it when the situation requires arrogance. I even have a couple different twirls in my repertoire. #EliteLevelTwirlGame

On the contrary, my playing partners have seen me hit so many non-twirlable shots that they know that I might need help spotting where the ball goes, so I doubt they even are looking at me when I hit one perfect and twirl. They're just so shocked that the ball is going the right place!

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

8 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

On the contrary, my playing partners have seen me hit so many non-twirlable shots that they know that I might need help spotting where the ball goes, so I doubt they even are looking at me when I hit one perfect and twirl. They're just so shocked that the ball is going the right place!

So let me serve as an inspiration to you. I’m what many (almost exclusively myself) refer to as an elite player who’s cap floats between 6 and 10, to put it bluntly, I am not afraid to go low……80’s. When you have put in sporadic work over many years to achieve that level of playing ability, you acquire what I refer to as “playing partner instincts.” This is where you find guys that are WORSE than you, if you can find them, make sure they are waaayyyy worse than you. These are the types of people who you want in your group as they will marvel at your golfing prowess. It is then when the twirl becomes an indispensable part of your game. As a good friend you owe it to your group to twirl mostly to reaffirm that you are the group’s alpha and clearly a better player than anyone else in the foursome. This is just good manners/etiquette and I take pride in being a good friend. Your other option is to work tirelessly to get actually good and consistently produce club twirl level shot making. However, I promise you finding crappy golfers to play with is a much easier path to a point in your golfing life where the club twirl can become a focal point of your game.

Edited by MikeW2
Omitted a word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping Tour 60* wedge

When I’m having a good time, I mimic pros or just do silly things to celebrate. Like Chi Chi’s sword dance.. the “Carlton” (very short version lol) and whatever I do spontaneously. I play much better being loose and happy-go-lucky, than being so serious. It’s always been that way when I compete in other individual sports. 

they only time I (sometimes) twirl is after an errant shot. I don’t know why, but I just do it. And it’s followed by a quick burst of cursing 😝 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Putters, kind sir, are for sheathing.

chi-chi-sword-dance.gif.f31753663ee250f63b4280a4bf695c36.gif

Ty Webb gets it!

• Like 1

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Yes, sadly. I. Can't. STOP!

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I twirled when I played tennis as a boy. I had idiosyncrasies when I played baseball. I riffle chips when I play poker. And I twirl when I play golf. I think some people just do little "things" when they play sports or engage in hobbies.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

21 hours ago, Obee said:

Yes, sadly. I. Can't. STOP!

I applaud the twirl. I would like to see a little more “gusto” though.

• Haha 1

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Twirl?  Shoot, on those rarest of occasions when I do flag one, I twirl AND leave it hanging up there for everyone to admire….

Flick, twirl, walk, & hang all in one fluid motion. Oh, and stare, don’t forget to stare.  

Of course then you have to turn back around and walk back to the cart, so don’t go walking toooooo far.  

• Haha 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Absolutely I bust the club twirl out. Generally when I straight top it or knock one into the sagebrush.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

21 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Twirl?  Shoot, on those rarest of occasions when I do flag one, I twirl AND leave it hanging up there for everyone to admire….

Flick, twirl, walk, & hang all in one fluid motion. Oh, and stare, don’t forget to stare.  

Of course then you have to turn back around and walk back to the cart, so don’t go walking toooooo far.  

This! A thousand times this! Only question I have for you is why are you walking back to the cart? Without question you should be picked up wherever you decide to stop your victory march. 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

3 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

This! A thousand times this! Only question I have for you is why are you walking back to the cart? Without question you should be picked up wherever you decide to stop your victory march. 

Ah, the answer to that question would best be known as the “Ridicule Postulate.” 

Ridicule = Swag / Lack of Justification for said Swag

So you see, amongst my golf group at least, the more of a tool I act like in relation to the actual skill performed, the more ridicule I am subject to.  

That tends to keep the walking, at least after the flicking, twirling, hanging, & staring, to something of a minimum.  Unless you clang some flagstick, you can’t go HAM or you’ll hear about it from everyone for-flippin’-ever 🤣😂🤣.

• Haha 2

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]