Is it Sandbagging to Post Compettive Round Scores only for Handicap Purposes?

The title pretty much says it all. I’ve stopped posting casual rounds I play and am only posting competitive rounds only. I was accused (not maliciously) of sandbagging. My response is those are the only rounds I  really ever play where every putt is holed out and the rules are strictly followed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an important topic! I’m going through something like a reappraisal myself. We have a non-posting season in the NW so we have our HC ‘frozen’ for about 4 months. I’ve started to update my HC with a mobile app for my betting games (full disclosure to my competitors). But how I got frozen at an unreasonable HC conerns me and discussing with other players found I was in the minority regarding posting all rounds. 
“Competitive rounds” is being used my some of the people I play with (and against). Is this accepable to the USGA? Why should we be posting rounds where putts are given and taken, Same balls are not used through the hole, too many clubs may be in the bag, and lift and place is common?

9 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

The title pretty much says it all. I’ve stopped posting casual rounds I play and am only posting competitive rounds only. I was accused (not maliciously) of sandbagging. My response is those are the only rounds I  really ever play where every putt is holed out and the rules are strictly followed

Define "sandbagging".

Most golfers I'm familiar with play worse in true comps than in casual play. One word - pressure.

If that's true in your case, it could be considered sandbagging as your 'cap would be "artificially" higher than it should be.

Then again, there are some players who claim they play better in comps because they're more focused, use better course management, etc.

If that's true in your case, the yes, your handicap would be artificially lower than it should be and you'd just be cheating yourself.

That said, you handicap isn't legitimate in either case; at least not here in the U.S. ALL rounds played by the ROG are post-able for handicap purposes.

There are handicapping rules for accounting for holes not finished.

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Read the rules of golf on posting. Every time you play. Mostly likely score on a hole. ESC. It’s  all there

your index is now comprised of a condensed version of your most recent 20 rounds weighted to reflect your upper end potential. 

• Like 3

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

13 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

World Handicap System

ALL rounds played by the Rules of Golf are post-able IN SEASON, competition or not.

What if you only play by the "Rules of Golf" in competitions?

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

What if you only play by the "Rules of Golf" in competitions?

Here ya go. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

WHS ACCEPTABLE SCORES

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

48 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I play the vast majority of my non-competitive rounds as a single. So thanks to the recent changes in the U.S. handicap system I cannot post any of those scores. That has pretty much solved my "did I play by the rules of golf" dilemma. Thanks USGA!

Does not alter the fact that you have played enough to know your MLS on any given hole. 

• Like 1

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the handicap rules; in large part due to the "can't-post-solo-rounds" BS.

I'm happier tracking my progress with strokes gained. I post enough rounds to get a handicap for tournament stuff, but apart from that I simply don't care about it. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Agree with the consensus. Moment of weakness when I learn what others do.

As far as “frozen at unreasonable HC”- that was only whining! I play with a guy for two years and we are decimals apart in HC. Winter season arrives and I play as an 11 and he at a 14. Unlucky I think is what happened. 
So thanks folks for getting me back on the straight and narrow. 
I have always posted all rounds and will continue to do so.

6 hours ago, davep043 said:

This is simple to me.  If you choose not to follow the handicapping rules in effect where you play, you're cheating.  I don't see any differ once to the player who chooses to disobey certain rules of golf. 

When I play with more people than myself I disobey just enough rules of golf to not be able to post my scores. That's following the handicap rules so I'm good.

5 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

When I play with more people than myself I disobey just enough rules of golf to not be able to post my scores. That's following the handicap rules so I'm good.

It's no wonder you play alone. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

6 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

If your intention is to manipulate the system, you're still cheating.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Out of curiosity I ask: is it still mandatory to post all scores (except solo rounds) in USGA area with the WHS in effect?

Generally speaking, yes.  There are a couple of minor exceptions, but by and large we're required to post all scores for rounds played in the Active Season.  That includes individual and fourball competitions, stroke and match play.

• Like 4

If you typically play worse in competitions than in casual rounds (as most amateurs do) than the answer is yes you are sandbagging.

I am also not suggesting this is malicious. If you do not play in handicapped events or gamble with friends etc--you aren't hurting anyone

But yes you're sandbagging.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

18 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I play the vast majority of my non-competitive rounds as a single. So thanks to the recent changes in the U.S. handicap system I cannot post any of those scores. That has pretty much solved my "did I play by the rules of golf" dilemma. Thanks USGA!

When you say you played as a "single" do you mean you played completely alone - no other strangers in your group?

The only scores not postable are those played alone - meaning there was literally no other person(s) accompanying you on your round. 

The World Handicap System arrived in the UK last season and has been an unmitigated disaster. Of course you won't hear that from the Central Politburo controlling England Golf.

Our Clubs fortunately have gibbed at going the full monty with WHS and only require us to submit competitive cards and cards outside competition if previously registered in the Pro Shop. Casual rounds as reported in this thread aren't recorded for handicap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

The World Handicap System arrived in the UK last season and has been an unmitigated disaster. Of course you won't hear that from the Central Politburo controlling England Golf.

Our Clubs fortunately have gibbed at going the full monty with WHS and only require us to submit competitive cards and cards outside competition if previously registered in the Pro Shop. Casual rounds as reported in this thread aren't recorded for handicap.

Its important to note that the WHS does not require all jurisdictions to use the same criteria for "Acceptable Scores".  Your club has done exactly what your national handicap body (England Golf?) has required of it, and are (almost certainly) completely compliant with the WHS requirements.  The systems have changed, our handicaps are closer to being the same now, but we're not there yet.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Its important to note that the WHS does not require all jurisdictions to use the same criteria for "Acceptable Scores".  Your club has done exactly what your national handicap body (England Golf?) has required of it, and are (almost certainly) completely compliant with the WHS requirements.  The systems have changed, our handicaps are closer to being the same now, but we're not there yet.  

We are not even close, there are still so many differences around the world.

We in Finland are doing the same as in England, which unfortunately gives people an opportunity to manipulate their handicap. But I still prefer the option to declare (beforehand!!) your round to be a postable round than forcing every round to be one. Other differences are the formats. We do not accept any kind of team format nor match play scores to be posted. And we certainly do not have any gimmies over or under 5 feet. If you do not hole out you will have a net DB for that hole.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Thanks for that. I was under the mistaken impression that WHS meant exactly that and was a foreign imposition on us 'poor 'ole Brits'.

• Like 1

You must post every round of golf you play .. otherwise your handicap is not legit.  You have the option to putt out very hole even if your friends "give" you the putt.  Finish it anyway and post your score.

Of course a match play situation can be different. Also you are no longer allowed to post scores if you play alone.