2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is it Sandbagging to Post Compettive Round Scores only for Handicap Purposes?

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I disagree in a way.  If the causal rounds aren’t played by the rules , I don’t personally post them.  although usually I’ll just play by the rules and let the others cheat - as in Breakfast ball ?  Not by the rules. Gimme putts ? Not by the rules.  Root rule ? Not by the rules …. Roll it in the fairway ? Not by the rules.  

Make up my mind, will ya ?:classic_laugh:

If the casual rounds aren't played by the ROG they're not post-able so you're acting appropriately.

If you DO play by the ROG you are required to post them.

But frankly I wouldn't worry about people posting those rounds where they don't play by the ROG. They'll have a vanity handicap, likely at least 3 or 4 shots lower than it should/would be.

They're unlikely to be playing in a comp against you and, if by chance they do, you'll have the advantage since your handicap is a valid one,,,,,,,,,,, I think. :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

28 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Make up my mind, will ya ?:classic_laugh:

If the casual rounds aren't played by the ROG they're not post-able so you're acting appropriately.

If you DO play by the ROG you are required to post them.

But frankly I wouldn't worry about people posting those rounds where they don't play by the ROG. They'll have a vanity handicap, likely at least 3 or 4 shots lower than it should/would be.

They're unlikely to be playing in a comp against you and, if by chance they do, you'll have the advantage since your handicap is a valid one,,,,,,,,,,, I think. :classic_wink:

Yea yea.  I know. Me and my rambling.  I left out the part where people rake  putts back to you , giving the putt and eliminating your ability to play by the rules.  It’s not very often.  But you’ll find that guy occasionally who will either hit your putt back to you , or speed up in a cart to your ball and “ move it for you “ off a root etc.  they do this to make you an accomplice in their own ball rolling and putt raking ways.  

We have one guy in particular who will do this. And I hate playing with him.  I have a problem with sarcasm ( shocker I know ).  So I hate to say anything to him , because when I do it will come out worse than I mean it.  I’ve had this happen many times. In other words I don’t want to start a world war. But to get the point across , I know I will.  So I just take it.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yea yea.  I know. Me and my rambling.  I left out the part where people rake  putts back to you , giving the putt and eliminating your ability to play by the rules.  It’s not very often.  But you’ll find that guy occasionally who will either hit your putt back to you , or speed up in a cart to your ball and “ move it for you “ off a root etc.  they do this to make you an accomplice in their own ball rolling and putt raking ways.  

We have one guy in particular who will do this. And I hate playing with him.  I have a problem with sarcasm ( shocker I know ).  So I hate to say anything to him , because when I do it will come out worse than I mean it.  I’ve had this happen many times. In other words I don’t want to start a world war. But to get the point across , I know I will.  So I just take it.  

I confess I seldom play with strangers and the guys I do play with would NEVER move my ball anywhere in the general area. Depending on the game they will occasionally give a putt by tapping it back to me. That said the putt is seldom more than a foot away.

But as a beginner I used to play with strangers all the time and I can't ever remember someone moving my ball anywhere but to give me a putt - unless maybe I was lying 5 off the green of a par 3 - and even then I'd be the one suggesting I was "done".

But did you ever think of saying, politely of course, "Please don't give me any putts or move my ball" ? :classic_blink:

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

21 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I confess I seldom play with strangers and the guys I do play with would NEVER move my ball anywhere in the general area. Depending on the game they will occasionally give a putt by tapping it back to me. That said the putt is seldom more than a foot away.

But as a beginner I used to play with strangers all the time and I can't ever remember someone moving my ball anywhere but to give me a putt - unless maybe I was lying 5 off the green of a par 3 - and even then I'd be the one suggesting I was "done".

But did you ever think of saying, politely of course, "Please don't give me any putts or move my ball" ? :classic_blink:

Sure. I’m just saying that I have a hard time possessing the ability to say that without being accused of being over the top.  When you’re a big guy , it’s already an issue.  It’s drilled into your head to not “ pick on other people “.  And then I tend to have the resting “ I’ll kill you “ face.  I know it’s stupid or odd. But.  I’ve experienced it too many times.  I can say please etc and it will still result in a odd silence , and ruined relationship.  As in an odd silence next time we’re paired.   I tend to just ignore those people if I can so as to not have the drama.  Then if it’s too much , I have no issue imploding the situation on purpose.  Lol.  

anyway.  Sure it’s not every round.  I’m just saying that I find there to be instances where the only way to post a round is to make up a score based on most likely.   Well heck. On my home course I’m most likely to make par on any hole.  So ?  Do I just plug in all 72s ?   Of course not.  Some rounds you just shouldn’t post.      

if me as a player who has a low handicap plays with 3 guys who I don’t know , and they are irritating , drunk by the 5th hole and and through lack of caring , I shoot 7/8 over my handicap , should I post this ?  I say no. That’s cheating.  Why?

Because I know when I’m trying my best and when I’m just not there.   It happens alot.  Sometimes you get a round that’s just trash. By the 10th or 12th hole you say “ ok this round is gone , practice from here on in “.  That practice may include hitting driver on every hole , or being Uber aggressive in approach etc. which is most times doesn’t produce a lower score. It’s more about correcting whatever swing issue you're having that day .  I’d say especially during the winter , 50 % of my rounds are this way.  If things are clicking you keep the bit between your teeth and pull. If it’s not , you spit the bit and then forget grinding for score and try to work on whatever  mechanical thing that’s ailing you.  Which sometimes will actually cause you to pickup the bit and pull again.  But it’s hit or miss.  

for us who aren’t retired , course time is to precious to waste grinding on an 80.  It’s better used preparing for the next round . 

anyway.  Doesn’t matter. I don’t use the handicap.  It’s just a funny thing to discuss.  Playing by the rules vs  reality.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. I’m just saying that I have a hard time possessing the ability to say that without being accused of being over the top.  When you’re a big guy , it’s already an issue.  It’s drilled into your head to not “ pick on other people “.  And then I tend to have the resting “ I’ll kill you “ face.  I know it’s stupid or odd. But.  I’ve experienced it too many times.  I can say please etc and it will still result in a odd silence , and ruined relationship.  As in an odd silence next time we’re paired.   I tend to just ignore those people if I can so as to not have the drama.  Then if it’s too much , I have no issue imploding the situation on purpose.  Lol.  

anyway.  Sure it’s not every round.  I’m just saying that I find there to be instances where the only way to post a round is to make up a score based on most likely.   Well heck. On my home course I’m most likely to make par on any hole.  So ?  Do I just plug in all 72s ?   Of course not.  Some rounds you just shouldn’t post.      

if me as a player who has a low handicap plays with 3 guys who I don’t know , and they are irritating , drunk by the 5th hole and and through lack of caring , I shoot 7/8 over my handicap , should I post this ?  I say no. That’s cheating.  Why?

Because I know when I’m trying my best and when I’m just not there.   It happens alot.  Sometimes you get a round that’s just trash. By the 10th or 12th hole you say “ ok this round is gone , practice from here on in “.  That practice may include hitting driver on every hole , or being Uber aggressive in approach etc. which is most times doesn’t produce a lower score. It’s more about correcting whatever swing issue you're having that day .  I’d say especially during the winter , 50 % of my rounds are this way.  If things are clicking you keep the bit between your teeth and pull. If it’s not , you spit the bit and then forget grinding for score and try to work on whatever  mechanical thing that’s ailing you.  Which sometimes will actually cause you to pickup the bit and pull again.  But it’s hit or miss.  

for us who aren’t retired , course time is to precious to waste grinding on an 80.  It’s better used preparing for the next round . 

anyway.  Doesn’t matter. I don’t use the handicap.  It’s just a funny thing to discuss.  Playing by the rules vs  reality.  

Iirc you have, in the past, mentioned how you have no chance in a net game vs. higher handicappers.

By not recording the bad rounds, as Rogolf suggests, you are artificially LOWERING your handicap since these "trash rounds" are not in your scoring record. How much ? Who knows ? shrug.gif

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

29 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Iirc you have, in the past, mentioned how you have no chance in a net game vs. higher handicappers.

By not recording the bad rounds, as Rogolf suggests, you are artificially LOWERING your handicap since these "trash rounds" are not in your scoring record. How much ? Who knows ? shrug.gif

I believe it to be opposite.  I believe others raise their caps by posting when the rules of golf aren’t observed.  

i understand what you said.  And since I do not participate in net events anymore.  Or more accurately we cut most of them out in favor of stableford, I don’t honestly have a dog in the fight.

But as a whole I believe that guys don’t take the rules seriously, and that handicaps are artificially high because most people aren’t out there grinding. They’re joking and having a beer.  Otherwise known as fun.

Golf is a challenge. It’s not a jovial thing.  Lol.  I know I’m built different.  But that’s my honest take.  I can point you to 100 guys who can drop their handicap if they actually tried.   Not used the word try.  But tried.  As in shut up , focus , and repeat for 6 months.  They’d play better. But I get that isn’t their goal.  Drinking beer outside away from the wife is their goal. That’s not my goal.  

You can look at my handicap and tell that I post nearly a round a week always.  That’s all I’m getting to play.  So it’s not as if I’m not posting. I’m just telling you that what I see others doing and posting , isn’t the same as what I try to do and what I post.  I’ll almost always post something.  Front 9.  Or if I lose interest and stop trying on 14-15 I’ll fill in with most likely score the rest of the card.  Happened  yesterday on 18.  I just decided to try the hero shot through a stand of trees that make up a 90 degree dogleg , to hit a par 5 in 2.  Im talking 125 yards of solid pine trees. I tried to punch a 4 iron through.  Lol.  Of course I hit a tree , and ended up making double.  I didn’t post that mess.  It was just out of frustration of the day .. shot 76 after adjusting that hole to most likely score.  My point isn’t to say that I don’t post , it’s that I don’t post whne I’m not trying.  And most people aren’t trying their best.  Most of the time.  Whether it’s conscious or not.  

And my goal is as clean as possible. Their goal ?  I have no clue. But it’s ugly.  There are the rules of golf.  Then there are handicap rules. I play by the rules of golf.  And post.      These other guys play by their rules. Then post.  No way mine isn’t more honest that theirs.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I believe it to be opposite.  I believe others raise their caps by posting when the rules of golf aren’t observed.  

i understand what you said.  And since I do not participate in net events anymore.  I don’t honestly have a dog in the fight.  But as a whole I believe that guys don’t take the rules seriously, and that handicaps are artificially high because most people aren’t out there grinding. They’re joking and having a beer.  Otherwise known as fun.  Golf is a challenge. It’s not a jovial thing.  Lol.  I know I’m built different.  But that’s my honest take.  I can point you to 100 guys who can drop their handicap if they actually tried.   Not used the word try.  But tried.  As in shut up , focus , and repeat for 6 months.  They’d play better. But I get that isn’t their goal.  Drinking beer outside away from the wife is their goal. That’s not my goal.    You can look at my handicap and tell that I post nearly a round a week always.  That’s all I’m getting to play.  So it’s not as if I’m not posting. I’m just telling you that what I see others doing and posting , isn’t the same as what I try to do and what I post.  And my goal is as clean as possible. Their goal ?  I have no clue. But it’s ugly.  There are the rules of golf.  Then there are handicap rules. I play by the rules of golf.  And post.      These other guys play by their rules. Then post.  No way mine isn’t more honest that theirs.  

Your first paragraph is a bit unclear.

What do you believe is opposite ? Surely you're not suggesting that one's cap goes UP by NOT including bad rounds.

So yes, caps DO rise by including bad rounds. That's what I said.

UNLESS you are saying the Handicapping Rules SHOULD be opposite - i.e. comp rounds only. That's a different issue.

And here we are full circle again.

Would most players have a lower cap if they ONLY posted comp rounds ?

Or do they play better in casual rounds ?

My anecdotal evidence is the latter. Why ? No pressure and in their casual rounds they don't give a darn about the ROG, move the ball everywhere, give themselves putts, etc.

And when it comes time to actually play BY the ROG, they can't.

You seem to suggest the former. Oh well.

Titleist Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Your first paragraph is a bit unclear.

What do you believe is opposite ? Surely you're not suggesting that one's cap goes UP by NOT including bad rounds.

So yes, caps DO rise by including bad rounds. That's what I said.

UNLESS you are saying the Handicapping Rules SHOULD be opposite - i.e. comp rounds only. That's a different issue.

And here we are full circle again.

Would most players have a lower cap if they ONLY posted comp rounds ?

Or do they play better in casual rounds ?

My anecdotal evidence is the latter. Why ? No pressure and in their casual rounds they don't give a darn about the ROG, move the ball everywhere, give themselves putts, etc.

And when it comes time to actually play BY the ROG, they can't.

You seem to suggest the former. Oh well.

What I’m saying is that most people aren’t playing nearly to their potential.  They’re just out bullshatting on a Saturday.  They post all that.  Then those same guys show up and “ try” in comps.  That’s when you get the 10 who shoots a 75 every dang competition.  If that same guy played and posted in the competitive vein that I do , he’d be a 5-7 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes. Handicap only would be infinitely more honest form of handicapping.   Or have two caps. Comp and not. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

43 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You can look at my handicap and tell that I post nearly a round a week always.  That’s all I’m getting to play.  So it’s not as if I’m not posting. I’m just telling you that what I see others doing and posting , isn’t the same as what I try to do and what I post.  I’ll almost always post something.  Front 9.  Or if I lose interest and stop trying on 14-15 I’ll fill in with most likely score the rest of the card.  Happened  yesterday on 18.  I just decided to try the hero shot through a stand of trees that make up a 90 degree dogleg , to hit a par 5 in 2.  Im talking 125 yards of solid pine trees. I tried to punch a 4 iron through.  Lol.  Of course I hit a tree , and ended up making double.  I didn’t post that mess.  It was just out of frustration of the day .. shot 76 after adjusting that hole to most likely score.  My point isn’t to say that I don’t post , it’s that I don’t post whne I’m not trying.  And most people aren’t trying their best.  Most of the time.  Whether it’s conscious or not.  

And my goal is as clean as possible. Their goal ?  I have no clue. But it’s ugly.  There are the rules of golf.  Then there are handicap rules. I play by the rules of golf.  And post.      These other guys play by their rules. Then post.  No way mine isn’t more honest that theirs.  

And why didn't you post that score?  And why did you need to adjust that hole to most likely?  It sounds like you made a net double, which does not require any adjustment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rogolf said:

And why didn't you post that score?  And why did you need to adjust that hole to most likely?  It sounds like you made a net double, which does not require any adjustment.

I did post that score.  

i didn’t make a net anything.  I made a real double by not trying to score. I guess if you’re saying it would adjust off itself because of my handicap level ? .  Maybe so. I truly don’t follow the system enough to know. I loathe it.  at any rate the outcome is Same then. Right ?  

I played the 1 in 10k shot of threading that needle to try to make eagle to stop the bleeding in my brain.  In other words chasing the high that would cancel out the low of a bad day.  .  Instead I cut off my own arm. I did this knowing that I’d fail.   That’s what I’m not getting across. My round was done on 17. .  I wasn’t in any delusion that I’d pull off that shot.  

this isn’t an often occurrence, maybe once every couple months.  But every low digit guy here knows what I mean when I say you checked out.    Guys that don’t understand What I’m saying are the ones who never checked in.  They’re out there hitting those shots every hole.  And posting them.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Do I just plug in all 72s ?   Of course not.  Some rounds you just shouldn’t post.      

If I didn't post the rounds I 'checked out' on I'd still be on scratch!

Post em all (attested) or play a different sport. 

I've got a guy in our group who posts maybe 75% of his rounds, never puts in his bad scores. It's a vanity cap and only hurts him, but you don't want to be paired with him in a comp as he can't play anywhere near his handicap. 

Bottom line blade is the WHS participants have an astronomically larger body of evidence, stats, whatever, than ANY of us here do.

To suggest you are right and they are wrong is silly.

You either play by all the Rules or you don't. You can't pick and choose and say your 'cap is "more honest" than others.

GIFs of Dogs Chasing Their Tail. 40 Animated Images

Titleist Pro V1X

28 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

If I didn't post the rounds I 'checked out' on I'd still be on scratch!

Post em all (attested) or play a different sport. 

I've got a guy in our group who posts maybe 75% of his rounds, never puts in his bad scores. It's a vanity cap and only hurts him, but you don't want to be paired with him in a comp as he can't play anywhere near his handicap. 

lol.   I’m not getting my point across clearly.  I’m not  telling you that I don’t post.  I’m trying to explain that posting hit and giggle rounds isn’t as honest as posting comp only.  

All I’m trying to say is there are instances where it’s either practice which is attested  or a round that you simply stop playing and switch to practice that is very close to impossible to post in an honest fashion. But plenty will do it as you just described so they can keep their handicap up enough to be comfortable. And that is the very definition of sandbagging.

my entire point is that as you go up the handicap range people play and put forth effort in different amounts . Competition only would solve a lot of the grapes that we hear from both sides regarding this issue. Vanity cap or sandbagger would be eliminated. Right?

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Bottom line blade is the WHS participants have an astronomically larger body of evidence, stats, whatever, than ANY of us here do.

To suggest you are right and they are wrong is silly.

You either play by all the Rules or you don't. You can't pick and choose and say your 'cap is "more honest" than others.

GIFs of Dogs Chasing Their Tail. 40 Animated Images

What body of evidence we’ve only been using the world system for what a year and three-quarter or so? When has the comp only method been tried? You can’t call it bunk until you try it right?

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

lol.   I’m not getting my point across clearly.  I’m not  telling you that I don’t post.  I’m trying to explain that posting hit and giggle rounds isn’t as honest as posting comp only.  

All I’m trying to say is there are instances where it’s either practice which is attested  or a round that you simply stop playing and switch to practice that is very close to impossible to post in an honest fashion. But plenty will do it as you just described so they can keep their handicap up enough to be comfortable. And that is the very definition of sandbagging.

my entire point is that as you go up the handicap range people play and put forth effort in different amounts . Competition only would solve a lot of the grapes that we hear from both sides regarding this issue. Vanity cap or sandbagger would be eliminated. Right?

My point is the opposite of sand bagging. It's a vanity cap. It hurts the player. 

Comp only would be fine for me. There is one virtually every day at my course. But again. I don't practice on the course. I play once a week, sometimes twice, if I want to practice I go the range or the chipping green. If it's my only round of the week I'm trying my hardest to score my best. 

Doesn't stop me from doing dumb stuff like having a crack at a par four over water, especially if I've had a poor start. Doesn't mean I'm not trying though. 

But not all courses have a daily comp, so you penalize those who can't enter competitions regularly enough to have an accurate handicap. 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

What body of evidence we’ve only been using the world system for what a year and three-quarter or so? When has the comp only method been tried? You can’t call it bunk until you try it right?

Huh ? This argument ain't new.

The WHS bodies HAVE all the numbers and despite any of "our" anecdotal evidence, have decided, (for the most part ?).

Even in Congu-land casual rounds HAVE a place in handicaps.

You don't agree. You're entitled.

But the comp vs casual argument has been around for many, many years, just like CB vs. blades, and it appears we peons will likely NEVER agree on which game produces the better numbers nor WHY it does.

Titleist Pro V1X

10 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

My point is the opposite of sand bagging. It's a vanity cap. It hurts the player. 

Comp only would be fine for me. There is one virtually every day at my course. But again. I don't practice on the course. I play once a week, sometimes twice, if I want to practice I go the range or the chipping green. If it's my only round of the week I'm trying my hardest to score my best. 

Doesn't stop me from doing dumb stuff like having a crack at a par four over water, especially if I've had a poor start. Doesn't mean I'm not trying though. 

But not all courses have a daily comp, so you penalize those who can't enter competitions regularly enough to have an accurate handicap. 

I guess I don’t get how it’s penalizing anyone. They only need the cap to play in comps.  They can negotiate strokes amongst buddies at will.  They do this anyway. We both know that.  The only group I play on that’s net , plays a stableford pints game instead of handicaps. For this Reason. It’s more local and fair.  Keep a book , and it’s impossible to refute.   I’m at 38 points quota for that book right now.  Dropped 3 from 41 last week.   No vanity that can be attached to that. I shot the scores.  And I also posted those rounds.  Anyway. 

That’s not at all what my point is. I get what you’re trying to say. But it’s not applicable. I’m not talking about score. I’m talking about effort.    When you start back handing 8 footers and trying to drive every par 4 , and  thats not max effort.  Its minimal mental effort.  That’s sandbagging if you post the incoming disaster. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Huh ? This argument ain't new.

The WHS bodies HAVE all the numbers and despite any of "our" anecdotal evidence, have decided, (for the most part ?).

Even in Congu-land casual rounds HAVE a place in handicaps.

You don't agree. You're entitled.

But the comp vs casual argument has been around for many, many years, just like CB vs. blades, and it appears we peons will likely NEVER agree on which game produces the better numbers nor WHY it does.

Fair enough. I know I’m not changing your mind.  And you know how I detest the beer drinking side of golf.  So no problem. Agree to disagree. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

They can negotiate strokes amongst buddies at will.  They do this anyway. We both know that.  The only group I play on that’s net , plays a stableford pints game instead of handicaps. For this Reason. It’s more local and fair.  Keep a book , and it’s impossible to refute.   I’m at 38 points quota for that book right now.  Dropped 3 from 41 last week.   No vanity that can be attached to that. I shot the scores.  And I also posted those rounds.  Anyway. 

That’s not at all what my point is. I get what you’re trying to say. But it’s not applicable. I’m not talking about score. I’m talking about effort.    When you start back handing 8 footers and trying to drive every par 4 , and  thats not max effort.  Its minimal mental effort.  That’s sandbagging if you post the incoming disaster. 

Why keep a book? Our National Golf Association has every score I've entered in the last twenty years, every hole score, for anyone to look up. Look I get it, golf in North America is a little bit different. Most players here are members of clubs (golf is an absolute bargain compared to the rest of the world) so green fee players are the minority. The handicap system is about as robust as it can get without having a referee in each group.

Can it be abused? Sure it can, during Covid lockdowns the national association pushed an app out so cards didn't have to be printed. I've already pointed out to them that it's complete bonkers to be able to post your own scores, I could select myself as a marker!

But there's nothing stopping you from chucking shots away just because it's a comp. If we have five stableford comps during the week, I can throw away shots just as easily as a casual round with a marker. 

I'm not in favour of "comp only" scores.  I posted 88 rounds in 2021, and none of them were in comps.  And I do need a legitimate handicap to play in the casual games that our groups play - nobody "negotiates" strokes on the first tee.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Why keep a book? Our National Golf Association has every score I've entered in the last twenty years, every hole score, for anyone to look up. Look I get it, golf in North America is a little bit different. Most players here are members of clubs (golf is an absolute bargain compared to the rest of the world) so green fee players are the minority. The handicap system is about as robust as it can get without having a referee in each group.

Can it be abused? Sure it can, during Covid lockdowns the national association pushed an app out so cards didn't have to be printed. I've already pointed out to them that it's complete bonkers to be able to post your own scores, I could select myself as a marker!

But there's nothing stopping you from chucking shots away just because it's a comp. If we have five stableford comps during the week, I can throw away shots just as easily as a casual round with a marker. 

Not really.  If you throw away 4 comps to go down enough to easily win one , you’re still a net looser.  It’s impossible to throw enough to then win enough to come out in the black.  The only choice is to play to win each time.  

It’s not my game. I just play in it.  And I’m telling you those guys played it by handicaps for 10 or more years ( 30-40 guys playing at a time ) and somewhere around 2005 they started this book , and there’s been zero drama since.  It’s zeroed in on those games only.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

19 minutes ago, rogolf said:

I'm not in favour of "comp only" scores.  I posted 88 rounds in 2021, and none of them were in comps.  And I do need a legitimate handicap to play in the casual games that our groups play - nobody "negotiates" strokes on the first tee.

And I am not at all discounting your experiences.  I’m just telling you mine. And it’s the same truth you’re telling me.  If it’s not the stableford game , they’re will be a “ how many are you giving me “ discussion on the tee before we go out.  Unless it’s all similar guys and then the answer is “ you’ll get nothing and like it “.    Never once time have I been in a game of low handicap to plus Guys and heard anyone mention handicap.  Not one time.  

This argument we are having now only arises because of the “ whack a mole “ game that occurs when open comps are handicapped.  Whack a Mole meaning statistically one of the 10-12 handicap guys will come up and fire off a mid 70s or lower round and win.  Nearly 100 % of the time.  

i used to wonder how that was done.  And through observation, it’s come to me that there are plenty of athletic guys who plays socially , and post , who later have the ability to not drink in a comp , and show up and post a score.  

but anyway. One thing @nsxguy is correct about. This is a dog chasing his tail. Two different perspectives that cannot see the others point of view.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I guess I don’t get how it’s penalizing anyone. They only need the cap to play in comps.  They can negotiate strokes amongst buddies at will.  They do this anyway. We both know that.  The only group I play on that’s net , plays a stableford pints game instead of handicaps. For this Reason. It’s more local and fair.  Keep a book , and it’s impossible to refute.   I’m at 38 points quota for that book right now.  Dropped 3 from 41 last week.   No vanity that can be attached to that. I shot the scores.  And I also posted those rounds.  Anyway.

"Stableford pints" ? I thought you didn't drink on the golf course. :classic_laugh:

Seriously though, this is one of the things that kills me about different golf games.

We have multiple organizations around the globe that are dedicated, at least in part, to provide a way for disparate golfers to compete against each other as fairly as possible,,,,,, but "we" think we know better. YOUR game is more fair.

So your quota dropped 3 shots from the previous week even though your handicap likely didn't move even a tenth of a stroke higher. And you seem to be quite satisified with that type of handicapping. :classic_rolleyes:

I play in a low net game and a quota game and in both they only include rounds played with them.

The quota game ain't so bad. Very informal. Any + points and your quota goes up 1 ("cap" down 1). Shoot equal or below your points your quota goes down 1 (cap up 1). BUT, in that game maybe 4 or 5, out of about 40 in the group actually keep a GHIN.

The low net game, if a player shoots a net of -7, a differential of about 0 (short wide open course), his handicap index (for THIS particular game of course) goes down FOUR shots. His cap going in doesn't matter at all. A "4" will go to "0" and a "16" will go to "12". Want your cap to "recover" a single shot ? Sure, shoot a net +3 or higher. 

To put that into some context, a 20 index, to down 4 shots in a single round would have to shoot a differential roughly 22 shots better than the best differential in his current best 8 of 20.

22 shots better than the BEST he's played in his last 20. To go down 3 shots he'd have to shoot a diff about 14 shots less. 2 shots ? About 7 shots better than the best of his last 8.

Do you see that happening very often ?

And you're SCRATCH. Virtually impossible for you to move down even 1 full shot. You'd need a diff of +8.

It just kills me that amateurs (think they) know better than professionals/experts. I'm sure you NEVER get a customer coming into your shop that knows better than you, right ?

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Unless it’s all similar guys and then the answer is “ you’ll get nothing and like it “.    Never once time have I been in a game of low handicap to plus Guys and heard anyone mention handicap.  Not one time.  

This argument we are having now only arises because of the “ whack a mole “ game that occurs when open comps are handicapped.  Whack a Mole meaning statistically one of the 10-12 handicap guys will come up and fire off a mid 70s or lower round and win.  Nearly 100 % of the time.  

So you have +2s playing 2s and not giving any shots ? :classic_ohmy:

Wow, and I thought I used to be taking a little advantage of other guys when they'd insist on playing straight up when I was "only" 3 shots better. 🙃

As far as the 10-12 handicap guys winning a net event goes, that's old hat. We've know for a looooong time that the higher the handicap the easier it is to shoot a low(er) net round and low cappers were at a distinct disadvantage in a net game against a bunch of high caps.

But I have to say, I find in interesting that you fall back on long-term statistics like the high capper against low cappers when it suits you BUT you're fine with people ignoring the WHS and making up their own games. coffee.gif

Quota games that "sound" good to you & others but that bear almost ZERO resemblance at all to the worldwide effort of the most experienced and expert people on the planet. hit my head.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

8 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

"Stableford pints" ? I thought you didn't drink on the golf course. :classic_laugh:

Seriously though, this is one of the things that kills me about different golf games.

We have multiple organizations around the globe that are dedicated, at least in part, to provide a way for disparate golfers to compete against each other as fairly as possible,,,,,, but "we" think we know better. YOUR game is more fair.

So your quota dropped 3 shots from the previous week even though your handicap likely didn't move even a tenth of a stroke higher. And you seem to be quite satisified with that type of handicapping. :classic_rolleyes:

I play in a low net game and a quota game and in both they only include rounds played with them.

The quota game ain't so bad. Very informal. Any + points and your quota goes up 1 ("cap" down 1). Shoot equal or below your points your quota goes down 1 (cap up 1). BUT, in that game maybe 4 or 5, out of about 40 in the group actually keep a GHIN.

The low net game, if a player shoots a net of -7, a differential of about 0 (short wide open course), his handicap index (for THIS particular game of course) goes down FOUR shots. His cap going in doesn't matter at all. A "4" will go to "0" and a "16" will go to "12". Want your cap to "recover" a single shot ? Sure, shoot a net +3 or higher. 

To put that into some context, a 20 index, to down 4 shots in a single round would have to shoot a differential roughly 22 shots better than the best differential in his current best 8 of 20.

22 shots better than the BEST he's played in his last 20. To go down 3 shots he'd have to shoot a diff about 14 shots less. 2 shots ? About 7 shots better than the best of his last 8.

Do you see that happening very often ?

And you're SCRATCH. Virtually impossible for you to move down even 1 full shot. You'd need a diff of +8.

It just kills me that amateurs (think they) know better than professionals/experts. I'm sure you NEVER get a customer coming into your shop that knows better than you, right ?

So you have +2s playing 2s and not giving any shots ? :classic_ohmy:

Wow, and I thought I used to be taking a little advantage of other guys when they'd insist on playing straight up when I was "only" 3 shots better. 🙃

As far as the 10-12 handicap guys winning a net event goes, that's old hat. We've know for a looooong time that the higher the handicap the easier it is to shoot a low(er) net round and low cappers were at a distinct disadvantage in a net game against a bunch of high caps.

But I have to say, I find in interesting that you fall back on long-term statistics like the high capper against low cappers when it suits you BUT you're fine with people ignoring the WHS and making up their own games. coffee.gif

Quota games that "sound" good to you & others but that bear almost ZERO resemblance at all to the worldwide effort of the most experienced and expert people on the planet. hit my head.gif

I’m not citing stats.  I’m citing what I’ve experienced.  It’s what I see. The 10-12 guy seems of be the range to be most likely to win any net event.  Followed by the occasional 15-18 guy who has the “ career day “ but that’s much more rare.  

yes most people plus or minus 2 shots of scratch play in heads up money games.    If you show up and whine about shots.  Expect to get the business. Not by me. I’m the quiet guy.  Lol.    I paid my dues.  I showed up , lost , paid and got better.  This is how it works.  

and expert is such an overused word.  I mean Frank Thomas of the USga was considered an expert when he made the claim that ( paraphrasing ) “ no pro will ever want to play a driver head larger than 300 cc”.  Which is why they failed to limit size until it was too late.  

I’ve been in my field 25 years.  And I’d never claim to be an expert.  But to most I am.  But. I’m not.  I can point to many above me.  If for no other reason than first had Knowledge vs mine which is mostly learned after the fact.    

if you want to say “ it’s imperfect but the best we can do “. I might go on with that.  But I’d add that it’s not that which bugs me. It’s the very idea of legislating even results that bugs me.  Would be like moving a basketball rim up or down per each players height so everyone can dunk.   

making it comp only would help this opinion for me. Same way that a specific points game that only contains info from that game does this. There is no room for cheating.  Losing to someone who plays worse is bad enough. But when they accomplish it via cheating. It’s pretty hard to swallow.  

that goes back to my previous comments about calling out folks.  I’ve had that conversation with the cheats we ran out of my club in 2016.   It wasn’t a nice , cordial interaction.  But they admitted it.  Defended it and called me stupid for not doing it too.  I’ll never have a good taste in my mouth about the system after that.    Somewhere I have the screen shots of those initial group text interactions.  Which later spilled to in person rants by them.   So yea.  Handicapped sports in general are just a guess at best.  And a shot padding strategy session at worst.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Not really.  If you throw away 4 comps to go down enough to easily win one , you’re still a net looser.  It’s impossible to throw enough to then win enough to come out in the black.  The only choice is to play to win each time.

Excepting some vagabond establishing a bogus handicap and then traveling to a big money comp where nobody knows him, THIS is why I personally think serious sandbagging is nowhere near as prevalent as some think.

That said, if "they" cheated they should be tossed.

Mind Blown - MiceChat

I’m not citing stats.  I’m citing what I’ve experienced.  It’s what I see. The 10-12 guy seems of be the range to be most likely to win any net event.  Followed by the occasional 15-18 guy who has the “ career day “ but that’s much more rare.  

yes most people plus or minus 2 shots of scratch play in heads up money games.    If you show up and whine about shots.  Expect to get the business. Not by me. I’m the quiet guy.  Lol.    I paid my dues.  I showed up , lost , paid and got better.  This is how it works.  

and expert is such an overused word.  I mean Frank Thomas of the USga was considered an expert when he made the claim that ( paraphrasing ) “ no pro will ever want to play a driver head larger than 300 cc”.  Which is why they failed to limit size until it was too late.  

I’ve been in my field 25 years.  And I’d never claim to be an expert.  But to most I am.  But. I’m not.  I can point to many above me.  If for no other reason than first had Knowledge vs mine which is mostly learned after the fact.    

if you want to say “ it’s imperfect but the best we can do “. I might go on with that.  But I’d add that it’s not that which bugs me. It’s the very idea of legislating even results that bugs me.  Would be like moving a basketball rim up or down per each players height so everyone can dunk.   

making it comp only would help this opinion for me. Same way that a specific points game that only contains info from that game does this. There is no room for cheating.  Losing to someone who plays worse is bad enough. But when they accomplish it via cheating. It’s pretty hard to swallow.  

When you tell us how a higher handicapper has a better chance than a lower capper in a net event, you are citing stats; "Odds of Shooting an Exceptional Score".

And your experience doesn't negate those stats. The 18 cap should win more often than the 12 cap. But if that's not what you see, that's not what you see.

"It’s the very idea of legislating even results that bugs me."

Ouch !!! I get it.

But I wonder how many games you'd get if there wasn't a handicap system. You're better than what, 99+% of all golfers ?

You didn't like my 4 (not 2) stroke spread giving/getting any shots. How often would anybody play you with NO strokes - other than those boys you referenced ?

The only sport "worse" than golf in INequity is tennis. I've not ever heard of a way of evening up 2 disparate tennis players. The difference can be really small and the better player will win almost every time. At least in golf we have handicaps.

The best Pro tennis players win 3-4 matches before they get knocked out (80% wins). As a TEAM player on a good team you win, often far more, than you lose. The best pro golfers LOSE far more than they win. Win 3 tourneys a year and your often World #1.

And amateur golf is even worse. A field of 24 or so yields 1 "winner" and maybe a few others who grab a little ca$h. It can be very tough on one's psyche to "lose" so often, especially when one is so much better (straight up) than one's opponent. Many of us have been there.

The only option is to find someone around your own ability - and (especially) in your case that's pretty difficult.

Titleist Pro V1X

5 hours ago, rogolf said:

Yep - that is how it works for me as well. In our casual play USGA Handicap Strokes are what we get and I also have not had a true comp round in a few years now. 

dave

On 1/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, rogolf said:

This. And the indexes can change day to day if a player posts a great casual round score. 

No negotiation needed. You just look it up on the app. “You’re a 7, I’m a 6, you get one. Let’s play.”  

No more of the nonsensical “but I shot 85 last time I played, you’ve got to give me one or two more.” The app takes that posted 85 into consideration already. 

• Like 1