2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you bounce on slower players if possible?

57 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Probably why so many professionals are slow players.

I give the pros a pass in tournaments, they're playing for 6 to 7 figures.  None of us are, and none of these slow golfers are either.    My buddy who is out there, when he's back home and we play a casual round, he's about as fast as anybody on the course.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 1/3/2022 at 11:49 AM, Roody said:

I have never left a group I've been paired with to jump ahead a hole. Sometimes I've quit on them after 9 holes with the "oh nuts, the wife just texted and said I need to get home" excuse. There was one distinct round I remember though that was very bad:

It was media day for the local LPGA event that used to be hosted in my city. It's a day when they let a bunch of the media go out and play the course, and then afterwards they stick around and do the press conference. Anyways, I got paired up with 3 completely random dudes. I rode as a passenger in a cart with an 88 year old guy, and then there were two other guys who had their own cart. The course was very wet, so we had to stick to cart path only.

Not his fault, but the 88 year old guy couldn't walk very fast. He'd kinda shuffle very slowly from cart to ball. Combine that with he also didn't hit the ball very far, cart path only, and I think you know where this is going. He was a very sweet man, but it was painfully slow. We had to let several groups through us throughout the day. And eventually after 12-13 holes, the other twosome in our group just started driving ahead and playing their shots out of turn, finish putting out and wait for us on the next tee. And if I remember right, they stopped waiting for us outright on the last couple holes of the day. 

While I thought it was rude of them, I also couldn't really get angry at them for it either. I often wonder if I hadn't been in the same cart with him if I would have done the same thing?

I hope to someday be just like that 88 year old guy - still out there, slow but enjoying the day. Carpe Diem golf!

• Like 1

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver @ 12.0º Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w @ 21.5º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h @ 23.0º / 5h @ 27.0º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag: Ping Eye2+ 3-SW Graphite

I will in a heartbeat. Slow golf is NO FUN!!!!

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I did it once a few years ago. We were the first group off that Saturday morning and as soon as the father said, "I booked a twosome so my son and I could play alone" I knew my buddy and I were in trouble. The father had no awareness that Saturday morning tee times at public courses will be filled out into a foursome whenever possible. He and his son really struggled on every shot, so halfway down the first hole the father suggested we go on without them... which we did. It's hard to imagine how long that round took to play...

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I've done both went ahead and also sent people ahead of me on the rare occasion where I am holding them up. Never without saying something. I've really only sent someone ahead once or twice. Most recently, got paired with two guys who were really fast players ( not great, but hit and and get it types which I totally respect. I always said it's okay to play bad, just play bad at a reasonable pace.) I walk a lot now since I purchased some ewheels. I still get around quickly ( faster than most in a cart), but this particular time, these guys were flying and no one was behind or in front of us, so I told them to go ahead. 

For one, my group wont be the slow play group. Even if I am partnered with strangers, Ill tell people to speed up. If they dont understand that, they need to eventually learn that part of golf. I have been behind slow groups and rarely does anyone bounce specially if the course is backed up and there is no space to squeeze yourself between groups. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

If the course is not busy and I can play ahead, I might.  It depends on the reason for the slow-play and if the slow-play culprits are friendly and pleasant to play with.

If alcohol is involved, I'm gone, and you won't see me after the next tee.  I like a drink as much as the next person, but that's for the 19th hole.  I don't like playing with bros getting smashed on their bachelor party.  No thanks.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Reborn Golfer Here (~3 months after 20 year break) -- I have been lurking here for a while now, and really have been enjoying these etiquette posts to help me keep right on the greens. (Now I know to take my hat off and shake hands at the end of the game. Thanks!) But, this one post popped out at me, since I have run into this situation more than a few times.

I suck. But I suck fast. And have found as I'm building my skills and work thru building my confidence, even just being paired up with strangers feels like the world is staring at me in my underwear and really kills my game. Add slowness to this, and my game just turns into a dumpster fire. Add to that, the slower the player, the more they tend to be the ones that want to give me "tips". (The "tip" folks are why I quit 20 years ago. ruined the game for me)

ANYHOO... A month or so ago, I talked to the pro I'm getting lessons from about this, and he told me the best thing to do is to talk to people nicely, and be honest -- So I tried that. 

Long story short -- I talked to the starter at my home pub course, gave him a Christmas tip, promised not to push or hold anyone up -- and have been sent out as a single since. Played a few new courses, talked to the group and explained my situation, promised not to push and/or keep pace, and they were happy to let me go out in front of them. Also, during this time, I have found that any time that I do out-pace a group, if I jibber jabber a bit, make a bad golf joke, and explain I'm a beginner, they are more than happy to let me slice one in the woods or water and play thru.

Perhaps I'm just naive being newer to the game, but I feel like no one wants their day ruined or awkward because of other players (Thats the course and my clubs job). Most people are more than happy to accommodate if you talk it thru, and if they aren't I guess all I can do is feel sorry for them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Question is, where do you go. If you are falling behind the group in front, do you ditch your group and become a single in front of them. Not sure if it solves the problem or you are actually part of the problem. If I was playing with a slowing group and falling more than a hole behind, I say lets pick up the pace or the group behind us waiting for us on every hole will make it apparent without me having to say anything. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I've been in this situation too many times for my taste.  I do all the things I can to help like offer to bring them the club they don't have, mention we are behind and the course is getting stacked up behind us, etc.  This usually goes nowhere. 

"We paid our money and everyone can wait, what's the hurry"? 

I show them the back of the scorecard where is says something to the effect of pace of play is a rule of the course and you may be held back or removed for slow play.  Most times this is not received well.

First world problems...

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 1/28/2022 at 1:19 AM, bekgolf said:

I've been in this situation too many times for my taste.  I do all the things I can to help like offer to bring them the club they don't have, mention we are behind and the course is getting stacked up behind us, etc.  This usually goes nowhere. 

"We paid our money and everyone can wait, what's the hurry"? 

I show them the back of the scorecard where is says something to the effect of pace of play is a rule of the course and you may be held back or removed for slow play.  Most times this is not received well.

First world problems...

Yes, that's the reply we paid out money like the rest of them.  I find just bouncing is the best thing.  I've seen them in the club house afterwards and received a lot of snarky replies but I just ignore them.   

I probably shouldn't admit this but I will hole hop if possible.  Like if I am on 14 and 17 is close by I'll drive over there if the group is slow and ditch them that way.  So I'll play 17 and 18 then circle back and play some additional holes.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Doing it and creating another group without clearance from the course is as well, the way you have characterized it.

Normally I agree with this. I often will play at a cheap 9-hole exec course around the corner to work on wedge play and putting. It's full of duffers. (Full disclosure, I'm a duffer compared to most here at WRX.) Often you'll get a couple that's supposed to be playing with you on the first tee and they'll want to play as a twosome instead of the foursome you're all booked for. That's a pain because it's already a slow course a lot of the time, and doubling up groups when 7 of 9 holes are par 3s just slows it down further. 

However, in the specific situation the OP is referencing, splitting the groups might improve play for all. 

Think of it this way. A twosome can play faster than a foursome. A slow twosome hopefully SHOULD play faster than that slow twosome would as part of a foursome. 

If you're a single or a twosome being held up by your playing partners, AND THERE ARE OPEN HOLES AHEAD OF YOU, splitting off from the slowpokes might actually speed them up, relative to if you had stayed with them. There's already a gap on the course, it might allow them to close it and start to catch up to the foursomes ahead. 

If there are no open holes ahead, then of course you don't split. But then if there are no open holes ahead, your slowpoke groupmates aren't slowing down play anyway. 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

We all know @Paddy_2_Irongets some heat on here for some wild comments.  However this question has some merit.  I will admit that I have not had this situation a very, very long time.  Given the appropriate circumstances I can see leaving a paired up group to head out on my own or with my partner.

How to do it:

• Must be at least 2 holes open in front
  • Must be no chance of catching back up to the original group in front
  • Must be able to move up and then not have the guys you left wait on you
  • Must tell them you are leaving for whatever reason.  Easy to make up a white lie like, "my boss just called and needs a report by 3:00, even though it is Saturday.  What an Word not allowed right?"  or, "My daughters soccer game just got rescheduled and I am the coach".  Apologize face to face but say you need to zip out and it was a pleasure.

How not to do it:

• Leave them without telling them
  • Leave them on the first tee
  • Leave them and then zip to any open hole you see like you own the place.
  • Leave them as you all finish a hole, so they have to wait on you.

Like anything else in life, doing something with tact, compassion and situational understanding is easy and appropriate, if done correctly and with others in mind.

• Like 2

No, not my style.  I'll leave the lack of etiquette, there.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Ive only done this once or twice and it was only towards the end of the day where I was worried I may not get all 18 in if I stayed with the slow players. No "Irish Goodbye" but rather a white lie of an excuse "I gotta get home to feed the dog so I am going to play on ahead, nice playing with you" and move along. Play the next hole quick to get some distance that is all. I generally bounce out by not putting out, hit the green, take a two-putt and head to the next tee. 

• 2 weeks later...

Slow play is very annoying.  Drives me nuts.  However, just to disappear and not to say anything to your playing partners is unnecessary.  That’ is both rude and unkind.  If you explain that your time is tight and the course is open so that you can move ahead without inconveniencing anybody that would be better.  

No I don't leave people that are playing slow. I've been the guy that was holding up traffic before, and people were always patient with me. Plus I'm a swiss machinist with 25-43 second cycle times, have a wife and kid. I'm always used to running like a madman. Golf is my time to relax and enjoy being outdoors and enjoy the peace and quiet.