2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tested some Irons NOBODY talks about

braincramp52

Not sure why this would surprise you. Tour Edge is an established company with an impressive group of Champions Tour members playing their stuff.

There really are not any secrets to making good clubs that are only known to the big name manufacturers.

Tour Edge, Sub 70 etc. all make equipment that matches what the others sell.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

17 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Not sure why this would surprise you. Tour Edge is an established company with an impressive group of Champions Tour members playing their stuff.

There really are not any secrets to making good clubs that are only known to the big name manufacturers.

But admittedly, they’re very well known for their woods and less so for their irons. 

I was surprised to see that John Daly had a full bag of TEE at the PNC tourney. He came from Ping i200‘s, that’s quite an accomplishment to get him to play their irons. 

I’m curious how the C 721 irons feel and play. 

I had the EXS 220 driver (loved looks and sound, my new Cally Epic Max LS is just longer) and still have two EXS 220 hybrids that I love. Plus a CBX 119 2H that’s an absolute rocket launcher.

TEE makes great stuff, but the irons are kind of unknown. 

Edited by LukeDonaldsTiger
  • Like 2

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

17 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Oh, I wasn't surprised they were quality stuff. I play the hybrids and I love them. What I was surprised about was the feel of a cast club being every bit as good as a iron twice the price. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I think I'm gonna get a set of the C522's to play for when my course is really soggy.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Unfortunately their bought direct and fairly new (especially the 201)but having owned 50 iron sets have some experience and basis for comparision,mainly forged cb's. I wanted to try the 101 Takomos based on all the YouTube reviews. Ended up with the more player type 201's. Had them (4-p)on heated range 3rd time last week along with my G410 Steelfiber 5 & 9iron,and same with ZX5 and i210 5 & 9. Being basically  a solid block of steel as far as I can ,tell their feel and performance are exceptional. NOT implying a comparison but the steel used is the same as with Muira. Both forged in the area. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hardten said:

Unfortunately their bought direct and fairly new (especially the 201)but having owned 50 iron sets have some experience and basis for comparision,mainly forged cb's. I wanted to try the 101 Takomos based on all the YouTube reviews. Ended up with the more player type 201's. Had them (4-p)on heated range 3rd time last week along with my G410 Steelfiber 5 & 9iron,and same with ZX5 and i210 5 & 9. Being basically  a solid block of steel as far as I can ,tell their feel and performance are exceptional. NOT implying a comparison but the steel used is the same as with Muira. Both forged in the area. 

I'm confused, are we talking about the same irons?

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:05 AM, braincramp52 said:

They're big. They're chunky. They're cheap and a little ugly. But damn! They're pretty impressive. I'm talking about the Tour Edge C522 irons. Went to the local Golf Shack the other day while waiting for my wife to get out of a doctors appt. They have basically had nothing to hit in the iron department for the last year and a half for lefties. I was wandering around and here tucked away in the corner was 2 sets of the C522 irons in regular and stiff flex LH! I play AP2's so these look pretty massive but when I set a 7 iron down I didn't find myself wanting to puke. I've hit some demo GI irons like the Callaway DCB and Ping G425's in 2021 so since I had time to kill and they weren't busy I decided to hit some balls with them. The conclusion I came away with was that for $559 for 5 - AW wedge I'd buy these in a heartbeat. Forgiveness and feel was off the charts for a iron in this category. They felt very soft for a cast club. In fact, they felt every bit as good as the forged Callaway DCB. I even warmed up to the looks of the things. After a few swings the topline didn't look that big. What I'm trying to say is they are definitely worth looking at if you're in the market for that style of iron. They are every bit as good as the Pings and Callaway's and that kind of surprised me .

c522.jpg

You should hit the Cleveland Launcher XL irons, supposedly just as nice and even sleeker. Good price point too.

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

17 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I'm confused, are we talking about the same irons?

Can see reason for confusion. I was responding to thread title "irons nobody talking about" not the TEs addressed in some posts. The Takomo 201s look much different to say the least than the TE's but I am not knocking the playing forgiveness of the TE.

Edited by hardten
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 8:05 AM, braincramp52 said:

They're big. They're chunky. They're cheap and a little ugly. But damn! They're pretty impressive. I'm talking about the Tour Edge C522 irons. Went to the local Golf Shack the other day while waiting for my wife to get out of a doctors appt. They have basically had nothing to hit in the iron department for the last year and a half for lefties. I was wandering around and here tucked away in the corner was 2 sets of the C522 irons in regular and stiff flex LH! I play AP2's so these look pretty massive but when I set a 7 iron down I didn't find myself wanting to puke. I've hit some demo GI irons like the Callaway DCB and Ping G425's in 2021 so since I had time to kill and they weren't busy I decided to hit some balls with them. The conclusion I came away with was that for $559 for 5 - AW wedge I'd buy these in a heartbeat. Forgiveness and feel was off the charts for a iron in this category. They felt very soft for a cast club. In fact, they felt every bit as good as the forged Callaway DCB. I even warmed up to the looks of the things. After a few swings the topline didn't look that big. What I'm trying to say is they are definitely worth looking at if you're in the market for that style of iron. They are every bit as good as the Pings and Callaway's and that kind of surprised me .

c522.jpg

No surprise at all here. I have been playing Tour Edge Exotics irons for several years (EXS, EXS220 and now a blended set of E721 and C721 irons with KBS TGI Tour Graphite shafts (5,6, and 7 irons in the E721 model, 8, 9 and PW in the C721).  They perform great and feel terrific. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm thinking of some c721 hybrids - in fact if the guy who answered the phone at Austad's in Sioux Falls last week had made an effort and not said call back in three hours, lol, I'd have probably ordered some.  Have been meaning to try Tour Edge stuff for a long time and just haven't gotten there.  

TE Exotics C721 hybrids are absolutely the best hybrid model that this company which is known for producing great hybrids has ever made!  Do yourself a favor and give them a try; I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm thinking of some c721 hybrids - in fact if the guy who answered the phone at Austad's in Sioux Falls last week had made an effort and not said call back in three hours, lol, I'd have probably ordered some.  Have been meaning to try Tour Edge stuff for a long time and just haven't gotten there.  

I had to go for the E series TE hybrids since I'm a lefty. I had some issues at first dealing with the offset in the hybrids. Once I played them for a while if you want high and straight the E521 & E522 hybrids deliver in aces. I've probably hit 500 balls now with the C522 irons and I still can't get over the feel (sound) of these chunky monkeys. There is a huge sweet spot where the feel is dare I say it, very forged like. I think I've finally thrown my golf ego out of the building Hawk and at age 69 1/2 I've accepted what I am as a golfer. I'm just not as good of a ball striker as I've always thought myself to be. But I'm still keeping my AP2's! At least for today.🤣

Edited by braincramp52
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

22 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I had to go for the E series TE hybrids since I'm a lefty. I had some issues at first dealing with the offset in the hybrids. Once I played them for a while if you want high and straight the E521 & E522 hybrids deliver in aces. I've probably hit 500 balls now with the C721 irons and I still can't get over the feel (sound) of these chunky monkeys. There is a huge sweet spot where the feel is dare I say it, very forged like. I think I've finally thrown my golf ego out of the building Hawk and at age 69 1/2 I've accepted what I am as a golfer. I'm just not as good of a ball striker as I've always thought myself to be. But I'm still keeping my AP2's! At least for today.🤣

Thank goodness it's below zero and there is no golf on the horizon for awhile or after reading this I'd probably be searching demo days! 

When my daughter was in HS and playing her beloved Ping G5s I'd occasionally grab one - supposedly a little too short and shafts were Rs and . . . I couldn't  hit a bad shot with them, including her 4 iron, lol.  As Winston Churchill says in The Darkest Hour, "When will the lesson be learned!"

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Haha 1