2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 Course Conditions - Phoenix Area

azgolfer44

Heading down Feb 17-27. 

Any thoughts on Johnson Ranch in Queen Creek? My dad's group added it to the rotation to replace Papago, guess it's been tough to get on with the city card this year. 

The other courses they play are Aguila, Dobson and Kenny Mac. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

4 minutes ago, Double K said:

Heading down Feb 17-27. 

Any thoughts on Johnson Ranch in Queen Creek? My dad's group added it to the rotation to replace Papago, guess it's been tough to get on with the city card this year. 

It’s fun, read some reviews on golf advisor, they have issues with slow play, running out of carts etc.

aghila Dobson Kenny Mac are all hard to get a tee time for these days and the pricing all across the board is getting pretty stupid, $60 to walk Dobson makes my blood boil

#shrinkthegame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

1 minute ago, fore_life said:

It’s fun, read some reviews on golf advisor, they have issues with slow play, running out of carts etc.

aghila Dobson Kenny Mac are all hard to get a tee time for these days and the pricing all across the board is getting pretty stupid, $60 to walk Dobson makes my blood boil

#shrinkthegame

They all old so are able to call the moment the course opens, but ya they have been having a heck of a time getting on the tee sheet. 

I must admit, teeing it forward with these guys is a lot of fun and exposes major flaws in my game. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

1 hour ago, Double K said:

Heading down Feb 17-27. 

Johnson Ranch has one good 9 and one terrible 9; and they did the worst possible thing for the course - they switched 9s, so the good 9 is now the front.  It used to be the back 9 made the front 9 tolerable.  Conditions are inconsistent.  POP is probably the worst in AZ because they have 8 minute tee times and will fit random groups in often.   It has below average practice facilities.

You would be better off going an extra few miles to Poston Butte.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jatrain said:

Papago this morning.  Great conditions, greens have speed up since the report last week.  Pace of play right at 4 hours.

Guys I played with from out of town said they payed $160 which is crazy.

Papago was great today? $160 ain’t that bad for out of towners right now. Greens are best I have played this winter anywhere. 

Just got back from a trip where we started in Tucson and finished in Phoenix. Played Southern Dunes on 1/21 and the course was in impeccable shape as usual. The following day we played Verrado Founders. Good shape, greens were a bit slower but still smooth. Green speed could have been attributed to our early 8am tee time coupled with colder weather/rain. 

GCU today. They were running 35 minutes late due to frost. The first couple of fairways were soaking wet. Maybe they ran the sprinklers to clear the frost? The 2nd green is struggling a bit on the back left quadrant. The rest of the course was in good shape. Greens were pretty speedy. This is a good value at $46 walking with the PHX Card. Throw in a bucket of balls and tax and I was out the door for $56. Pace of play was about 4:20.  

On 1/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, azgolfer44 said:

Saguaro was really good yesterday, except some of the bunkers need sand. Two of us were in the right bunker on 9 which had maybe 1/4” inch sand. Impossible to get it on the green. 

Course is pruning back the desert and trees. It looks a lot different and you can actually find balls in the desert. 

Lot of snakes out there. Saguaro is a course I simply don't look for a ball. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Solid day out at TPC Stadium, conditions were fast and firm, pace was a little slow though, some stupid event went out ahead of us. 

Only big complaint was 16 green was pitted, and for some odd reason it smelled like stale beer. 

Other than that it was a good day. 

Better value at other courses for sure. 

I bet you were able to shag a few near-mint Pro V1s out of the pond on the 17th.

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Tres Rios this past weekend. 2nd time playing it and got around much better. Greens are firm and roll pretty well. Got around in 4:15. Should have been no more than 3:45 but I got paired up with someone who would hit multiple mulligans and then act like they were putting for the win at the Phoenix open on ever green. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

3 hours ago, Double K said:

Welp my dad was asleep at the switch so the first round on Friday is Greenfield Lakes. 

Perfect place to shoot 5 under.  Before the great golf boom, I would play a quick nine there during my lunch at least once a week (its very close to my office).  Nice thing is it helped me practice my shots from the rough and junk (every lie is from the rough and junk:).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vallygolf said:

Perfect place to shoot 5 under.  Before the great golf boom, I would play a quick nine there during my lunch at least once a week (its very close to my office).  Nice thing is it helped me practice my shots from the rough and junk (every lie is from the rough and junk:).

My post was a bit in jest, but I am looking forward to it. It's the last course I played with my mom, so it will be memorable. 

• Like 2

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Greenfield Lakes was surprisingly good today. We had to wait for our tee time for about an hour due to a frost delay in the morning that pushed everyone back. 

Greens were on the slow side, but very lush, green and smooth.  I found them to be quite firm which made it challenging to hold the green from the tees. Being an entry level-type course, I don't think they could get them much faster due to the slope that they have on them. 

The nines have been flipped, the long par 5 along Greenfield is now #9. 

Final verdict: It's far from the best course in the valley, but a great place to knock off the rust and work on the short game at a decent price. 

• Like 2

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Viewpoint range today. Had a BOGO coupon, which meant two range tokens for $5. I didn't count but felt like 60-70 balls. 

The range was very busy, had to wait about 15 minutes to get a space to hit. Range balls looked newish, a mix of Volvik, Strata and something called Power Range (which were exceptionally hard). Grass was nice, they had the ropes up near the front which made for mostly downhill lies. Hit some putts on both putting greens. They were nice and smooth and the one across the road by the executive course was lighting fast. 

Encanto tomorrow, Aguila Wednesday (weather looks not great, might be cancelled) and Arizona Golf Resort for Friday. 

Finding teetimes is complete horsefeathers. I feel for you locals, this really sucks. 

PXL_20220220_224342497.jpg

• Like 2

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

GCU yesterday. Shaggy and wet fairways. Some were pretty soaked. Greens are the normal firm. Sand was ok. One day I'll figure the place out and finally play decently there. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

Encanto today. Very windy which made for a fun round. One of the flattest courses I can remember playing anywhere. Don't think there is more than 10 feet of elevation change on the entire course. 

Greens are perfect on the front, nice speed and very, very smooth. They would hold a well struck iron shot. They recently punched the back nine, I took a picture not sure how well it shows the holes, no top dressing so they still rolled pretty nicely. Good amount of sand in the bunkers and decently firm giving good lies. 

Looks like Wednesday is going to be a washout, probably won't get to play Aguila this trip. 

PXL_20220221_194047539.jpg

PXL_20220221_170507281.jpg

PXL_20220221_200304952.jpg

• Like 2

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Palmbrook Country Club this morning. No other tee times available on the west side, like literally nothing today, this is getting crazy. 

Fairways and tee boxes were in great shape. Bunkers had a bit too much sand in them but were consistent so that's good. 

Greens were awful, easily the worst I have putted on in a very long time, just dreadful. Slow, and insanely bumpy. Although I am exaggerating by saying this, I'm not too far off. If you were to dump a truckload full of broccoli on to the green surfaces that's what it was like putting on them. Putting on broccoli. Palmbrook used to have really good greens, especially for a Sun City course. It appears as they have not been rolled in months. After the round I went back and looked at the reviews on golf advisor and it looks like the problem started about a month ago. I'd stay away for a while. $75, just awful, zero value with the given conditions. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Palmbrook Country Club this morning. No other tee times available on the west side, like literally nothing today, this is getting crazy. 

Fairways and tee boxes were in great shape. Bunkers had a bit too much sand in them but were consistent so that's good. 

Greens were awful, easily the worst I have putted on in a very long time, just dreadful. Slow, and insanely bumpy. Although I am exaggerating by saying this, I'm not too far off. If you were to dump a truckload full of broccoli on to the green surfaces that's what it was like putting on them. Putting on broccoli. Palmbrook used to have really good greens, especially for a Sun City course. It appears as they have not been rolled in months. After the round I went back and looked at the reviews on golf advisor and it looks like the problem started about a month ago. I'd stay away for a while. $75, just awful, zero value with the given conditions. 

That's a shame, that course did indeed used to have greens that were in great condition year-round. I played there quite a bit in 2018-2020. 

The course sold to a new owner in spring 2021 ($2.45 million) and the rates promptly went up 25-50% year-round. The value isn't there anymore, even ignoring the current condition of the greens. I haven't been back since that sale and rate change happened.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

That's a shame, that course did indeed used to have greens that were in great condition year-round. I played there quite a bit in 2018-2020. 

The course sold to a new owner in spring 2021 ($2.45 million) and the rates promptly went up 25-50% year-round. The value isn't there anymore, even ignoring the current condition of the greens. I haven't been back since that sale and rate change happened.

First time being out there in a year or so and obviously first time hearing about the sale. Makes sense, new owner is probably squeezing every last drop out of it while probaly cutting back on everything and increasing prices. Seems to be the new norm. Do/charge as much as possible with as little resources as possible. 

Sterling Grove today. Greens are still firm, and they almost had a “purplish” hue to them. Rough is short and very playable almost anywhere. 

POP was 4:25, on top of the tee sheet being 30 minutes behind due to a tournament earlier today. Teed off at 2:10, finished about 10 minutes after sundown. 

I wish the putting course was included in the green fee.