2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 Course Conditions - Phoenix Area

azgolfer44

23 hours ago, azgolfer44 said:

I used to buy WKP pass every year but you’re right, tee times are very tough 4 days out unless you have a lot of flexibility or can play mostly weekdays. 

The real deal with Wekopa is for a premium course its a decent value so guys on a golf trip will play the second or third tier courses then splurge on Wekopa as its rack rate is less than Grayhawk, Troon and TPC

15 hours ago, cbbaron said:

The real deal with Wekopa is for a premium course its a decent value so guys on a golf trip will play the second or third tier courses then splurge on Wekopa as its rack rate is less than Grayhawk, Troon and TPC

This was my guy's trip literally two weeks ago. Played Raven and Talking Stick Piipaash and then splurged on We-ko-Pa.

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Played Longbow yesterday 3-29. Course was in fine shape. Firm enough to allow for balls to run up to greens and fairways were rolling well too. On a few holes on the front where there was longer grass/rough between the fairway and desert I would actually described it as thick. Bunkers had plenty of sand. Greens were rolling true and speed was acceptable. For $135 rack rack I would recommend it. Pace was good. Foursome finished right at 4 hours with an 8:30 tee time. 

• Like 1

Coming to town Saturday Boston to Phoenix am nonstop used to leave at 6am now its 9am which sucks but anyways assuming I can play by 230 If I cant get on Wekopa which is where Im staying that night. How are conditions at Devils Claw and Eagle Mountain? My wife got us a Troon Card this year as a surprise or worst case Id play Kierland as my 55 year old body will be stiff from the flight

3-31, AK Chin Southern Dunes. 

Course was in pretty good shape. Honestly, I was expecting just a bit more because last year around Christmas it was flawless. Greens rolled well but were a bit slower than expected. 

A few very dry/almost hardpan areas around the edges of fairway bunkers. These areas were in the fairway and next to bunkers. Your ball would never stop here so it wasn’t really in play but it was surprising to see in a few places. Greens and approach areas played firm. I didn’t think they were overly firm but one or two of the guys in my foursome did. The angles greens playing firm made some approach shots challenging to stop, even from fairway. 

Pace was pretty slow around 4:40. I believe it was just the group in front of us, but the group behind us was never waiting much either so who knows. Saw a ranger once a side and they just gave a friendly wave and hello. 

Would 100% recommend to anyone. If you book a round be sure to check to see if their dynamic pricing has gone done. Made a tee time 5-6 weeks in advance. Rebooked 2 weeks ago and saved $30 a man. 

5 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

3-31, AK Chin Southern Dunes. 

Course was in pretty good shape. Honestly, I was expecting just a bit more because last year around Christmas it was flawless. Greens rolled well but were a bit slower than expected. 

A few very dry/almost hardpan areas around the edges of fairway bunkers. These areas were in the fairway and next to bunkers. Your ball would never stop here so it wasn’t really in play but it was surprising to see in a few places. Greens and approach areas played firm. I didn’t think they were overly firm but one or two of the guys in my foursome did. The angles greens playing firm made some approach shots challenging to stop, even from fairway. 

Pace was pretty slow around 4:40. I believe it was just the group in front of us, but the group behind us was never waiting much either so who knows. Saw a ranger once a side and they just gave a friendly wave and hello. 

Would 100% recommend to anyone. If you book a round be sure to check to see if their dynamic pricing has gone done. Made a tee time 5-6 weeks in advance. Rebooked 2 weeks ago and saved $30 a man. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be playing at the end of the month so hopefully the conditions improve over the next month.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

11 hours ago, Damenace613 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be playing at the end of the month so hopefully the conditions improve over the next month.

Those conditions are near perfect for SD other than the greens a little slow. 

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

1 hour ago, Miker20890 said:

booked rounds for my trips last week of april.

36 at talking stick

dinosaur mountain

tpc champions

really would have like to play either troon north or grayhawk but pricing is insane. might trade out dinosaur mountain or tpc for wickenburg ranch

I'll be there last weekend in April.

36 holes at Southern Dunes

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro

Wickenburg Ranch (hopefully); have a backup at both Troon - Pinnacle and Grayhawk - Raptor

I'll be missing out on Quintero as I'll be getting in later

22 hours ago, Damenace613 said:

Overall it’s in really good shape. I would happily play it again tomorrow! I don’t see how the couple areas around the bunkers would come in play. Nothing to worry about. I’m sure you will enjoy your round there. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, chisag said:

... Summer really spoils you. As someone earlier said prices are insane right now. Since I play 5 days a week usually Mon -Fri I am almost exclusively playing Aguila because at $24 to walk with my remote cart, nobody comes "remotely" close. I still marvel at the views every time I play. Bought a house about 7 minutes away so I save on gas as well. 

... Rounds have become 4:30-5 hours and first or 2nd twilite time just finishes on sone days. While I can't complain about the greens they are far from smooth and as a die putter I struggle because the ball tends to wander as it loses speed, especially downhill. A more aggressive putter has a better chance. But again for $24 and a free round after every 10 rounds I get 2 free rounds a month but looking forward to summer when I can play other courses again without taking out a second mortgage! 

2040019071_Aguila312.JPG.db2c23063b37e5dfdd774699b24b953e.JPG

Nice. Never heard of Aguila. And I was just at Legacy last weekend. Will have to get out there and the rates look great!

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

On 2/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Toka Sticks, no tee times anywhere, so our group ended up there yesterday. I think this was on  @Argonne69’s best of the worst play list. 

Well, it was an “interesting” mix of holes with below average conditioning. Greens were sluggish. Fairways had good grass, rough was, well rough. Sand traps were above average, so that’s good. 

If I had to compare it to a course in the west side I’d say Great Eagle/Az Traditions. It’s not terrible but it isn’t good. 

Pace was great, 4 hours exactly on a Sunday morning. 

$70 for a tee time and bucket of balls. About $30 overpriced for the winter. 

Got it checked off as played, no reason to ever make the drive from the other side of town. 

Last time I played there my wife rode with me and she almost got killed 3 times from balls from other tee boxes. Craziness there. Bring a helmet for flying balls from parallel holes. 

• Haha 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, TAG617 said:

Heading down first weekend in May. We will be playing TPC Champions and WeKoPa (both courses), quick weekend trip so that's all we can sneak in with the crappy flights out of Boston. Pumped though, first time in AZ. 

Enjoy perfect golf in AZ. Doesn’t get any better here. Great choices you have there. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, TAG617 said:

Heading down first weekend in May. We will be playing TPC Champions and WeKoPa (both courses), quick weekend trip so that's all we can sneak in with the crappy flights out of Boston. Pumped though, first time in AZ. 

FYI flew in from Boston this past Saturday took 4 hours to get my rental car

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, cbbaron said:

FYI flew in from Boston this past Saturday took 4 hours to get my rental car

Oy. Is the people mover extension to the rental car facility finished? The shuttle buses are a disaster.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just now, StudentGolfer4 said:

Took my group about 2-2.5 on a Sunday evening at 7pm. The shuttle busses weren’t the issue, just really slow service and process. 

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I finally signed up for Budget Fast Pass a few years ago. The car rental business model is stuck in the 80's. Incredibly outdated software asking a billion questions while they're trying to upsell you on a more expensive ride, and a bundle of overpriced options and insurance packages. 

'Not that Fast Pass, or any other "premium" level is guaranteed to have quick service, or the car size you actually reserved. 'Had plenty of bad experiences, but generally it's better than the regular line.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Yikes...that's not good. I'm using Hertz at the end of the month so hopefully it's not going to take that long and spring training is over also.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, Miker20890 said:

36 at talking stick

dinosaur mountain

tpc champions

really would have like to play either troon north or grayhawk but pricing is insane. might trade out dinosaur mountain or tpc for wickenburg ranch

On 4/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Damenace613 said:

I'll be there last weekend in April.

36 holes at Southern Dunes

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro

Wickenburg Ranch (hopefully); have a backup at both Troon - Pinnacle and Grayhawk - Raptor

I'll be missing out on Quintero as I'll be getting in later

Wickenburg has some of the best grass around and great mixture of holes.  Could play there everyday. I always try to get out there if I can.  Played 36 in January on a guys trip then brought the wife there in early March for a round.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:16 AM, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I finally signed up for Budget Fast Pass a few years ago. The car rental business model is stuck in the 80's. Incredibly outdated software asking a billion questions while they're trying to upsell you on a more expensive ride, and a bundle of overpriced options and insurance packages. 

'Not that Fast Pass, or any other "premium" level is guaranteed to have quick service, or the car size you actually reserved. 'Had plenty of bad experiences, but generally it's better than the regular line.

Last Saturday it didn't matter if you had any program they were short staffed and out of cars

• Sad 1

500 Club on Friday, fast and firm throughout the course, with greens being receptive. Overall, the course is in great shape, greens were rolling true and at a decent pace. Bunkers still leave a bit to be desired as always. 

The Rim Golf Club on Sunday, overall, it's in great condition, just what you would expect from one of the best courses in Az. Greens left a bit to be desired though, lots of Poa Annua coming up though the bent grass, causing some issues keeping puts on line. I have played the course a few times in the past, such a strong layout, the wind was bananas and made playing conditions extremely challenging. Awesome customer service as always, from being greeted in the lot, to the pro shop staff but extra kudos to the bar and wait staff. It's always nice as a guest when staff treats you as a member. 

Falcon Dunes today, course is in amazing shape, greens are the best I have seen in a while. They are starting to fill in some bunkers with new white sand, will be nice once it's completed. Great POP at exactly 4 hours with a mid morning tee time and a packed tee sheet. The wind this afternoon added at least 6 strokes no my card today, :-(. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, Miker20890 said:

36 at talking stick

dinosaur mountain

tpc champions

change of schedule. Only able to play 1 round the first day. Is grayhawk or troon worth the almost $200 more than talking stick?

1 hour ago, Miker20890 said:

change of schedule. Only able to play 1 round the first day. Is grayhawk or troon worth the almost $200 more than talking stick?

I don't think any course here is worth $200, much less $200 "more".  So my take would be no.   

Personally, if you can go play Southern Dunes instead of TS (probably same or better price) that would be the route I would go.  If you have to play TS, play the North course at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I don't think any course here is worth $200, much less $200 "more".  So my take would be no.   

Personally, if you can go play Southern Dunes instead of TS (probably same or better price) that would be the route I would go.  If you have to play TS, play the North course at least.

Played southern dunes last year when I was there. Amazing course too. Want to try others in the area. 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:59 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Agreed on this point that no course in the area is worth $200 more however, I just played both last week and I would spend the money to play Grayhawk Raptor over Talking Stick every day of the week.  That is if you only have 1 day to play and have no other choices.

• Like 1