Lydia Ko New Equipment Deal (***MERGED***)

ewaldbeukes

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

LPGA.com website seems really buggy recently?

I had to google, to get to the "Strokes Gained: Putting" page (as the dropdowns weren't re-directing to the relevant page).

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/strokes-gained/strokes-gained----putting 

"Not in System" = a glitch in the system

... similar to "The Matrix" movie.
image.png.df19e9ec26d56afc5d588d04bb6944a9.png

Website’s always been horrible. 

This image has been in the “featured gallery” for a month. 

image.png.c29a76243d52f1e1bec4329c13407bda.png

Edited by Seamus_McDuff
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, NoFancyUsername. said:

Nah...

mjl.jpg.7ac6eca7ef886dcc18adbe2ed20b8292.jpg

Saw this in a post and was actually saddened by the social media responses (although at this point one really shouldnt be - its the worst of humanity!) This is an incredible showcase of ball striking no matter the course or conditions... she is hitting 5-10ft closer than the PGA tour average proximity at each of those distances! Her 175 - 200 yard ave proximity is the same as PGA Tour from 135 in the fairway... some serious game. 

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

• 2 months later...

Current version of L.KO's WITB.

Lydia Ko: What's In My Bag? | Golf Equipment: Clubs, Balls, Bags | GolfDigest.com

Interesting that she doesn't have much shaft weight progression from driver/woods to irons/wedges.  I think years ago she was probably playing 80 something gram iron shafts but seems to be even lighter now.  Arguably, she's stronger/faster now vs. then.  At the same time, some of newer shafts may be both lighter and stronger vs. years past (i.e. feel not weight was the constraint).

I've also joked in the 58* vs. 60* threads that a 59* was the best of both worlds.  I guess someone that is half-decent with a wedge agrees😝

If you look at the stamp on my 58, you’ll see a 59. It’s bent to 59 degrees. I’ve tried both 58- and 60-degree wedges, but I found the 59 is best because of its versatility. It has enough loft to do what you need to around the greens but not so much loft that you can’t hit pitch shots with it, too

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 9:09 PM, agolf1 said:

Current version of L.KO's WITB.

Lydia Ko: What's In My Bag? | Golf Equipment: Clubs, Balls, Bags | GolfDigest.com

Interesting that she doesn't have much shaft weight progression from driver/woods to irons/wedges.  I think years ago she was probably playing 80 something gram iron shafts but seems to be even lighter now.  Arguably, she's stronger/faster now vs. then.  At the same time, some of newer shafts may be both lighter and stronger vs. years past (i.e. feel not weight was the constraint).

I've also joked in the 58* vs. 60* threads that a 59* was the best of both worlds.  I guess someone that is half-decent with a wedge agrees😝

If you look at the stamp on my 58, you’ll see a 59. It’s bent to 59 degrees. I’ve tried both 58- and 60-degree wedges, but I found the 59 is best because of its versatility. It has enough loft to do what you need to around the greens but not so much loft that you can’t hit pitch shots with it, too

Thanks for this...I find it odd she comments on the 59 lob and not why she carries a 46 and 48 wedge.  That is the real questions about her wedges.  I am assuming hitting the gaps, but wondering what numbers she is trying to hit with those two in the bag.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jt2gt said:

This is interesting...ran across on a search for proto-concept irons.  Looks right out of her bag:

https://golfpartnerusa.com/products/lydia-ko-s-pro-game-club-set-12-pieces-only-5-sets-available-no-caddie-bag

I wonder why no 3 wood?  Interesting over the years that she's gone to a lower lofted iron (ignore the number on the club, probably something in the 24*-25* range).  Granted, she's probably a bit stronger/faster than when she came on tour and some of the irons these days may be designed to fly a bit higher.  But the hybrid technology is also better (just high and straight vs. high and lots of spin), and players swinging faster than her seem to be playing more and more hybrids (say into the mid-20s* loft).

Anyways, the way she's playing maybe they should offer a clearance special on these clubs?  Just kidding...

16 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I wonder why no 3 wood?  Interesting over the years that she's gone to a lower lofted iron (ignore the number on the club, probably something in the 24*-25* range).  Granted, she's probably a bit stronger/faster than when she came on tour and some of the irons these days may be designed to fly a bit higher.  But the hybrid technology is also better (just high and straight vs. high and lots of spin), and players swinging faster than her seem to be playing more and more hybrids (say into the mid-20s* loft).

Anyways, the way she's playing maybe they should offer a clearance special on these clubs?  Just kidding...

According to her Golf Digest WITB she does carry a 13o 3w (Titleist TSR2+). 

I thought it more interesting that she elects to have stronger fairways (I guess for more distance?) as opposed to the 4w/7w combo I'd expect of a female golfer. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

20 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

According to her Golf Digest WITB she does carry a 13o 3w (Titleist TSR2+). 

I thought it more interesting that she elects to have stronger fairways (I guess for more distance?) as opposed to the 4w/7w combo I'd expect of a female golfer. 

The vast majority of LPGA pros have no difficulty elevating a 3 wood. Heck, Brooke hits driver off the deck more often than I can count.

If there's too much trouble near the green, they're probably laying up anyway. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 7/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, Argonne69 said:

The vast majority of LPGA pros have no difficulty elevating a 3 wood. Heck, Brooke hits driver off the deck more often than I can count.

If there's too much trouble near the green, they're probably laying up anyway. 

Depends what you call "elevating." 

They're pros so they obviously don't suck, but they virtually all have shafts designed for higher launch angles (e.g. Ventus Red) which is the first visible indication they're concerned about it. Furthermore, the TV cameras show they are not generating surprisingly high peak heights or carry yardages far in excess of 200- or 220-yds.

In general, they're flying the ball about as far as their hybrids and 5-woods and then getting more roll...and that's when the conditions allow for it.

I mean, you can't fake physics. There's only so much one day do with a 15o club and a SS well under 100-mph. 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2023 at 2:44 PM, MelloYello said:

Depends what you call "elevating." 

They're pros so they obviously don't suck, but they virtually all have shafts designed for higher launch angles (e.g. Ventus Red) which is the first visible indication they're concerned about it. Furthermore, the TV cameras show they are not generating surprisingly high peak heights or carry yardages far in excess of 200- or 220-yds.

In general, they're flying the ball about as far as their hybrids and 5-woods and then getting more roll...and that's when the conditions allow for it.

I mean, you can't fake physics. There's only so much one day do with a 15o club and a SS well under 100-mph. 

Ping LPGA staffers are playing Ping Tour S shafts, Atmos Blue, Ventus Blue TR, GD Tour AD, I wouldn’t call those high launching shafts. 

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/lpga-tour

The average carry distance for their 3 wood might be 210 but that’s their actual average, not jacked up wrx “average” distances. This means the average players best 3 wood carries are more like 225, assuming a total 3 wood distance variance of 30 yards. (In wrx interpretations that’s an “average” carry distance of 240)

Also, if 210 is the average 3 wood carry distance on the LPGA that also means whoever carries 210 ranks about 70 on tour in that stat.

I’ve worked as a volunteer score keeper at a lot of LPGA tournaments and I have no doubt the top 70 distance players have no problem carrying their 3 wood 230 yards with with whatever trajectory they want. And that’s actual easy repeatable controlled shots, not the perfect 3 wood they hit two summers ago and use as their standard distance now. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems to me from afar that the conceptual approach to 3w fitting on the LPGA is that they'll have virtually no ability to attack Par-5s without running it up so they just say 'to heck with it' and select for the club that at least gives them the ability to potentially get there, even if the flight is less than stellar and peak height might be better with say, a 17o 4w. 

And TBH, I find that approach to be pretty sensible. While I value my 7w for how it launches, I just don't care much about how my stronger fairway performs into greens from 240+. It's a driving club and or a 'bash it as far as I can if somehow it's safe to do so' thing. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• 3 months later...

Hmmm, how did I not notice that Lydia dumped her Titleist driver this season for a Ping G430 LST? She also has Ping woods and irons, along with four Vokey wedges.

the-annika-driven-by-gainbridge-at-pelic

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Hmmm, how did I not notice that Lydia dumped her Titleist driver this season for a Ping G430 LST? She also has Ping woods and irons, along with four Vokey wedges.

I don't know when she shifted. It wasn't all that long ago. I remember seeing a WITB a month or so back with all the new equipment. 

There were some questions with what she had in before. It was a bit of a weird set from my perspective on both the long and short ends. She had all her woods in super flat / strong (C1) settings. She's wasn't driving it particularly well with the TSR3. I have a TSR2+ 14.5* and it's hard enough for me to launch and I'm hitting it well past her. There's no way she was optimally fit for the same low-launching, deep-faced 3w in a 13* model. That's just insane. A shallow-face Ping is one thing, a TSR2+ is a whole different animal built for the high-SS PGA guys. Then she had those 2 wedges that were super close in loft as well. It was a bit of a mess. 

I can't imagine she was ever super confident in her old stuff. It just didn't pass the sniff test. 

I've come to see Lydia as a bit of a strange bird. I think she's very analytical in her approach to the game and that likely seeps into how often she changes equipment or tweaks what she has. It's generally never good when players work themselves into extremes. I think the skill is there (obviously) but I have 0 faith in her ability to settle on something reasonable and stick with it. 

Callaway...PXG...Titleist...Ping...the only constant is change with her. 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

She did have the Ping 430 Driver, woods and Hybrid I believe. I thought I read somewhere that she had the Titleist T100's in the bag this week.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

21 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Check out the winners WITB...showing she's playing Ping irons in addition to the woods.  What a change.  Mix of i210 and Blueprints.  I love following Lydia's bag and changes.

Might be fun to watch the scenery as it changes but there's currently a lot of room for improvement. Perhaps settling on some equipment she can trust and stick with might help in 2024. 

She's clearly struggled with the big stick:

#114 in Driving Distance

#156 in Driving Accuracy (ouch!)

And her iron play wasn't helping either:

#81 in Par3 Scoring

#111 in GIR

And that shows up in the overall:

#61 in Scoring Average

She went from #2 and #3 in birdies in 2021 and 2022 all the way to #48 in 2023. 

I don't know what the heck happened but it was ugly for a player of her caliber. Her and Lexi really screwed the pooch in 2023. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

11 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

She plays the 46 at 44 and the 48 at 49 for a 5 deg gap and the bounce she's looking for.  

Huh...wouldn't be my approach. 

Bending an already small Vokey 46o strong to increase offset and decrease bounce? Is literally anyone else in the world doing that? Another odd feature I'd say. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

11 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

She plays the 46 at 44 and the 48 at 49 for a 5 deg gap and the bounce she's looking for.  

The latest WITB doesn't show the 46 as being bent. Looks like the three lower lofted ones are mid-bounce.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM9 (46-10F, 48-10F @49, 54-10F, 58-08F @59)

Source: https://www.golfwrx.com/728800/lydia-ko-jason-days-winning-witbs-2023-grant-thornton-invitational/

20 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The latest WITB doesn't show the 46 as being bent. Looks like the three lower lofted ones are mid-bounce.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM9 (46-10F, 48-10F @49, 54-10F, 58-08F @59)

Source: https://www.golfwrx.com/728800/lydia-ko-jason-days-winning-witbs-2023-grant-thornton-invitational/

image.png.c8b3f844f475a5c137240082aa16856a.png

• Like 2

Her bag/sponsor is Golf Partners (Proto C) which she doesn't have a single club of theirs in her bag anymore.  If she sticks to what she has right now, which looks likely, new sponsorship is a coming most likely.  

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

38 minutes ago, pjc said:

Her bag/sponsor is Golf Partners (Proto C) which she doesn't have a single club of theirs in her bag anymore.  If she sticks to what she has right now, which looks likely, new sponsorship is a coming most likely.  

I think the only things Lydia is helping to sell are center-shafted putters and Garsen grips, LOL. 

Lydia won big and now half the women's tour is using a center-shafted putter...coincidence? I doubt it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, pjc said:

Early in 2023 Lydia extended her contract with Proto Concept/Golf Partner out of Japan. Extends through the 2025 season to play their irons and display their logo.

My thinking is the GTI was unofficial event so she could be allowed to try the ping irons without breaking her side of the contract.

She first went with ProtoConcept on advise of her club fitter, but her swing has radically changed since late 2021.

If she asked I would think ProtoC could cast irons near to the pings but different enough to steer clear of patent issues.

They may modify her contract if necessary, the contract allows them to use her image, name and likeness, they probably want to keep her happy.

She is currently in Japan with hubby. Might be a little business or might be 1st anniversary celebration, or both.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, MelloYello said:

Might be fun to watch the scenery as it changes but there's currently a lot of room for improvement. Perhaps settling on some equipment she can trust and stick with might help in 2024. 

She's clearly struggled with the big stick:

#114 in Driving Distance

#156 in Driving Accuracy (ouch!)

And her iron play wasn't helping either:

#81 in Par3 Scoring

#111 in GIR

And that shows up in the overall:

#61 in Scoring Average

She went from #2 and #3 in birdies in 2021 and 2022 all the way to #48 in 2023. 

I don't know what the heck happened but it was ugly for a player of her caliber. Her and Lexi really screwed the pooch in 2023. 

She got married and her priorities and focus changed. I think it's really that simple, especially as Lydia has announced previously she wanted to retire by 30. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wolfcreek said:

Early in 2023 Lydia extended her contract with Proto Concept/Golf Partner out of Japan. Extends through the 2025 season to play their irons and display their logo.

My thinking is the GTI was unofficial event so she could be allowed to try the ping irons without breaking her side of the contract.

She first went with ProtoConcept on advise of her club fitter, but her swing has radically changed since late 2021.

If she asked I would think ProtoC could cast irons near to the pings but different enough to steer clear of patent issues.

They may modify her contract if necessary, the contract allows them to use her image, name and likeness, they probably want to keep her happy.

She is currently in Japan with hubby. Might be a little business or might be 1st anniversary celebration, or both.

Thanks for the info, I guess we shall see in a few weeks or so how it pans out.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

On 12/29/2023 at 2:14 AM, wolfcreek said:

ProtoConcept and Golf Partner are not the same company, it was a dually funded agreement.  PC equipment is no longer listed on Golf Partner's website, so I can only imagine something has changed.  Also, it doesn't matter whether an event is sanctioned or not, anyone under a equipment contract is bound to play that equipment unless approved to switch.  

Lydia has had a bag contract with Golf Partner but to my knowledge, has never been under contract with PC.  

Edited by OnTheBag
  • Like 3