2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What characteristics make a golf shoe, a golf shoe?

eric61

This might sound like a goofy question, but: What characteristics make shoe a golf shoe? 

The reason I ask is, I have feet that are not just wide but oddly shaped. I've tried nearly every golf shoe on the market, and there are lots that are comfortable at the outset -- and trust me, I've read every thread on GolfWRX about "best shoes for wide feet," "most comfortable shoes to walk in," etc. But it's just been a massive struggle finding anything I can consistently walk 18 or 36 holes in. It's much easier, though, to find trail shoes and shoes for other sports that fit me well. I'm basically trying to figure out what I'd be missing -- or what characteristics to look for. It might be that the answer is "you wouldn't be missing anything," in which case -- great! But there might be something I'm not understanding, in which case I don't want to waste money trying things that won't work.

Here's a list of what strike me as the answers to my question about what characteristics make a shoe a golf shoe: 

1. A wider base to help with stability. 

2. A firm cup on the sides of your heels to keep feet stable during lateral movement. 

3. Traction, of course. 

4. Marketing. Golf shoes are labeled and sold as golf shoes!

There are other elements that apply to some but not all golf shoes -- like waterproofing, or obviously spikes, or some have less of a drop from heel to toe than others. But, on a basic level, what else am I missing? 

To put it another way: If a shoe has a firm heel, good traction a wide enough base, is there any basic way in which it'd be lacking for golf, compared to a spikeless golf shoe? 

I looked at some of my own shoes for a comparison. I'll include some pictures -- sorry to be showing you all my dirty shoes, but I wanted to illustrate some of what I'm talking about and thought it might be helpful.

Here are my adidas Solarthons side-by-side with a well-worn pair of adidas Ultraboost 1.0s. From the top, other than the Solarthon being a waterproof or at least water-resistant material with a separate rather than attached tongue, they look pretty similar:

IMG_2840.jpeg.d3482dc31a152f53fd18245afae3372a.jpeg

Same from the side. The Solarthon has a plastic piece to provide heel stability, but the Ultraboost also has heel cups:

IMG_2842.jpeg.1216b24ad4bdf9a47f57ba1f7c183ffc.jpeg

I measured the bottoms at their widest points to see the difference. The Solarthons are about 1 cm wider than the Ultraboost at those wide points:

IMG_2843.jpeg.90544acd359ac1c9399ed144c0654333.jpeg

Next up, a different comparison -- let's look at True Linkswear OG Feel golf shoes vs. New Balance Minimus shoes. Both are zero-drop. 

IMG_2844.jpeg.570fd064ccd2d215987b6461ba16b922.jpeg

An obvious difference here is the heel cup. The True Linkswear shoes have one, though not as firm as the Solarthons or the Ultraboosts; the New Balance are fairly flimsy back there. 

IMG_2845.jpeg.318c35f9a82dfa2c7ffc6655a0bbfe5b.jpeg

The soles are quite different, too. The True Linkswear is about 1 cm wider at the widest point, but it's also much wider overall than the New Balance:

IMG_2847.jpeg.7101135b72ef689dec209064d7d803e9.jpeg

The thing is ... the True Linkswear from the second comparison is almost exactly the same width at its widest point as the non-golf shoe Ultraboost from the first comparison. I know that the width of the sole doesn't exist in a vacuum and you have to compare it to the shoe overall. But if you have wide feet that are already overhanging the sole ... it seems like there isn't any magic number here; golf shoes' soles aren't necessarily wider than non-golf shoes' soles. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I think you’ve exhausted a lot of avenues already, but I hope you find a good pair nonetheless. Also realize, 36 walking isn’t for the faint of heart, regardless of age. You feet should feel fatigued.

• Like 4

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

5 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Also realize, 36 walking isn’t for the faint of heart, regardless of age. You feet should feel fatigued.

For sure, this is very true. 

My dream golf shoe would be for New Balance to stick a heel cup around and some spikes on the bottom of their 990v4 and continue selling 6E widths. Or for Asics to do the same with their Kayanos or Nimbuses, in 4E widths. Unfortunately, neither of those is going to happen -- even though I'd order a lifetime supply of pairs on the spot!

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Just now, T-3 said:

As far as adding spikes go, these may work. Never tried them personally but I’m curious to know if they work well. 
https://golfkicks.com

Thanks, I've been thinking about these too. The reviews are extremely mixed -- some folks report them working wonderfully, others say they've lost not one but several spikes over the course of their first round with them. It seems the shoe goo is necessary, but it's hard to tell whether the folks who have lost spikes used it or not. 

2 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

I look for three attributes in a golf shoe - support, traction, waterproof.  Looking at the photos shown, none of those shoes would be of interest to me. Just my personal taste.

For sure. And I wasn't really asking about the shoes in the photos -- just using them to illustrate some points. 

The problem is there aren't golf shoes that have those three elements you mentioned, are decent in terms of quality and actually fit my weirdly shaped feet well enough to walk even 18 holes comfortably. That's why I'm looking elsewhere, at things like trail running shoes and maybe baseball shoes, and am open to other ideas too. Have you tried anything along those lines? 

2 minutes ago, BMC said:

Vans Ultra Range.

Unfortunately way too narrow for me.

NBG2005 are my go-to. I have widish feet too, but not so much to necessitate e4 width. I just like a super loose golf shoe, but also one that won’t slip in wet conditions. Ymmv

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

8 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Those look like sneakers to me. 

All my golf shoes have soft spikes....😎

If I could find soft spiked golf shoes that fit me and didn’t murder my feet, I’d be all about them!

Just now, Ghostwedge said:

Been wearing the Adidas Tour 360's forever, going to start looking into the  sneaker type shoes with spikes like Code Chaos (?), trick is to buy them 1\2 size bigger.

I’ve tried everything Adidas sells. Wide ZG21s are ok. Solarthons have been the best, and are more comfortable than Code Chaos. But man, I have a VERY wide foot. Going a half size up doesn’t do it. That’s why I’m here with this sort of desperate post.

1 minute ago, SUITS said:

To be sure Ecco make something for you.

I just did an Amazon Prime Wardrobe order for like six pairs of Ecco golf shoes. We’ll see if they work! 

8 hours ago, eric61 said:

For sure. And I wasn't really asking about the shoes in the photos -- just using them to illustrate some points. 

The problem is there aren't golf shoes that have those three elements you mentioned, are decent in terms of quality and actually fit my weirdly shaped feet well enough to walk even 18 holes comfortably. That's why I'm looking elsewhere, at things like trail running shoes and maybe baseball shoes, and am open to other ideas too. Have you tried anything along those lines? 

Try going to a quality shoe store with a skilled salesman and get your feet measured (you would be surprised how many people are wearing the wrong size shoe).  Then try a good Footjoy model. Sounds like you have a wider foot and Footjoy comes in a variety of sizes. You may have to order online. If you go that route only wear them indoors and try to stay on the carpet.  Most decent dealers will allow you to return them if they don't fit you don't wear them outside. Good luck.  

5 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

Try going to a quality shoe store with a skilled salesman and get your feet measured (you would be surprised how many people are wearing the wrong size shoe).  Then try a good Footjoy model. Sounds like you have a wider foot and Footjoy comes in a variety of sizes. You may have to order online. If you go that route only wear them indoors and try to stay on the carpet.  Most decent dealers will allow you to return them if they don't fit you don't wear them outside. Good luck.  

Oh for sure. I’ve been in quite a few times, and have had my feet measured for made-to-order boots too. I have a Brannock device here at home. 

I know my size in Footjoys; my issue with them has always been comfort. But the Premieres are really well-liked, it seems, so I have a pair in my size on the way to give a try indoors.

Golf shoes have a waterproof guarantee. I don’t know of any other type of shoe that is waterproof and not too bulky like hiking boots. I used to coach baseball & they didn’t have a waterproof guarantee.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

a lot depends on the conditions, if it is dry and firm then anything that is comfy will do. If it is damp or wet underfoot then nothing beats a full grain leather shoe with good spikes. The best winter shoes I've worn are adidas adipure, which are just fantastic. The best dry shoes I've worn are some puma FAS trainers I had which had brilliant cushioning. 

In the summer most of the guys I play with just play in the most comfortable thing they can find, there is no need for spikes, just good cushioning and breathability 🙂