2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Club champion acquires TXG (merged)

29 minutes ago, Sharpee said:

I just watched the latest TXG video on the Rogue ST iron and this is going to be average at best without Matty hitting and Ian guiding the process while they banter.  Ian hitting and Mike trying to provide conversation sucks.

Ian needs to call Matty and say "Matty, look I screwed up.  I was trying to make the CC guys happy and didn't make enough effort to ensure your interests were looked after.  I'm sorry and I want you to join us again.  What do we need to do to make this happen?"

that ship has sailed, TXGs YT ratings are gonna tank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharpee said:

I just watched the latest TXG video on the Rogue ST iron and this is going to be average at best without Matty hitting and Ian guiding the process while they banter.  Ian hitting and Mike trying to provide conversation sucks.

Ian needs to call Matty and say "Matty, look I screwed up.  I was trying to make the CC guys happy and didn't make enough effort to ensure your interests were looked after.  I'm sorry and I want you to join us again.  What do we need to do to make this happen?"

I agree with this. Why is Ian hitting? Ian needs to be guiding the process and interpreting the numbers and results

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

56 minutes ago, minhjn said:

I agree with this. Why is Ian hitting? Ian needs to be guiding the process and interpreting the numbers and results

Ian is actually really good, I think he plays off of a + handicap. That said, if he's hitting then that means he isn't behind the podium, which is where he really shines. And unfortunately, Mikey just isn't cutting it as a replacement in that position. I don't have a problem with Ian hitting, in fact I love watching his swing. It's just that he needs someone to bounce off of, whether he's hitting or watching, and that's just not here right now.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

You wouldn't fire your guitarist and take the sound engineer out of the booth and have him do guitar solos. His value is in another part of the recording process. You'd get another guitarist. Those of us who are critical of Mike aren't saying he isn't talented. He doesn't bring value in front of the camera. Facts. He's best served doing what he's best at, and was hired to do. Get another guitarist, or better yet, grovel if needed to get your old gunslinger Matty boy back. You had a thriving and growing juggernaut. A killer blend of content and chemistry. Now it's blown to Mars. Not just lost followers, but think of the paid subscribers they are going to lose. That may not matter to those who profited from this merger, but it matters to those who word of mouth helped build your following and your brand. It's not the end of the world, but seeing an alert that TXG uploaded a new video used to make life better. Pretty much gone now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sharpee said:

I don’t think Matt left because of anything Ian did or didn’t do. I think CC demanded control of YT content going forward and Matt decided either there was no role for him or a role he did not want to play.

I think Ian’s primary objective in the merger was to grow the business throughout Canada. If that means losing the YT audience completely that would be an unfortunate but acceptable trade off.

17 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

Makes since to an extent... hope they can keep producing the content independently or without restraint on YouTube.  Makes since in the fact that both are "indoor" fitters.  What I'm curious about is how (if at all possible) the industry can adapt to more of a "fit each slot" approach.  With the continuing trend of more and more combo sets and specialty clubs even the concept of "fitting off the 6i (or 7i) is kind of starting to become a bit dated.

In their videos, the TXG guys usually always tested PW, 7i and 4i to get an idea of how a set makeup could work for them.  I'd like to see more of this integrated into fitting somehow.  Perhaps PW, 7i and 5i (or 8i / 6i).  I know that would take more time and you couldn't do it with EVERY set but if I were paying a lot of money to get fit at a place like TXG I'd want to see the PW, 7i and 5i data like they test and decide how to put a set together.

This may work for an OEM such as PXG but it is not financially viable for any fitting center much less TXG.  There are so many shafts available now that to stock in 2 other sizes would be substantial and then there is the issue of fitting adapters to the club heads assuming standard (not fitting) heads can accept such adapters.

When TXG test the PW and 4i they are usually from an off-the-shelf set with default shaft.

9 hours ago, JRKickstart said:

TXG youtube subscribers dropped from 177k to 176k since the sale and Matt leaving became public.  Sign of things to come or is this all the damage they are going to get?

Wow, a drop of .005%.  Man the lifeboats.  I guarantee that Mike is a temproary fill-in.  Things will change, oh ye of little faith.  😉

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Do you guys remember that Matt is going thru some really difficult personal issues even before all of this and maybe those played a larger role in him leaving.  Just something to consider.

• Like 2

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

20 hours ago, sharkhark said:

Your absolutely right . How can we go on in future without watching a guy repeatedly hit nothing but straight, perfect, 400 yard drives... Over and over with almost zero differences... Insert sarcasm. I think we will survive. I lost all interest in Matt after his 78th video hitting boring shots that out of a hundred golfers at my course maybe 1 or 2 could hit while I'm playing with guys in the 70s for swing speed with the driver. Heck I'm a 5 HDCP and my driver is about 100 which still puts me so far behind matt that I have absolutely zero interest in watching.

Yes I agree on the other boring quiet dude with Ian he needs to go. Irritating.

As I said, I was only speaking for myself. I was saying nothing of the similarities between Matt’s game and my own, I was merely saying that I purchased clubs from them and patronized their business because I felt that they were genuine people and I wanted to show my appreciation for their content. 

14 hours ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Well said rjk5. Mike has helped me out numerous times and he will do whatever he can in his ability to satisfy the customer. 

He will take some time to be 100% comfortable in front of the camera. It's easy for people on a forum to be critical as they haven't been on camera before. Just think about how nervous people get when 10-15 people are watching at the course? Now knowing you have 10's of thousands that are going to watch your video......can't be easy. 

Matt was very good on camera and I'm sure it took him some time to get there. Would be nice if everyone gave Mike some time to see where this goes.

He’s been on camera for about 18 months and does a podcast now.

If you were my boss and I showed myself to be capable in the HR department and a dreadful salesman over the course of 18 months, wouldn’t that be enough of a sample size? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glofer said:

JR's question was earnest and unassuming.  RGK, you need a refresher on decimals and percentages. 

Divide 1000 by 179000 and see what you get. 005%

2 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I've been critical about this transition, but I want to jump in with some thoughts defending Mike, who's been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism these last few days.

I do think some folks -- particularly in the YouTube comments -- are going way out of bounds. Especially the talk about his weight. First of all, those types of comments are just unkind. And second, he's been open about how he's lost a lot of weight already and is working to lose more this year. 

I also want to say that performing on camera is harder than it looks. Let's remember, a YouTube channel with 177,000 subscribers isn't small potatoes, but it's not huge, either. It's not like these are guys who work for ESPN or a CNN/MSNBC/Fox News or anything like that, where they've been trained to host and interview people and are well compensated for it. A lot of YouTubers have some bad videos out there. Even TXG had some clunkers in its early days. I think it's fair to say Mike deserves more time to develop his on-camera presence and figure out who he wants to be in these videos. 

I would actually like to see Mike play what's traditionally been Ian's role in some videos ... without Ian there. Somebody else could be the hitter. I think a lot of times, because Ian and Mike are both expert club-fitters and builders, they don't have a lot to add to what the other has said. Mike's on-camera presence might develop quicker if he was put in a position where it was on him to be the one explaining and interpreting everything. 

Finally, I just want to say, cut the guy some slack. Even if it turns out being on camera isn't something he'll ever be good at, he's still a good dude. He still answers tons of questions every week on his Instagram Q&As, as well as DMs in addition to those. He's out there helping the golf-obsessed community. 

I still don't like the way all this went down. I don't think the TXG guys fully understood that so much of their community had come to them precisely because they were everything that Club Champion is not. And I think Matt played a huge role, not just hitting but asking questions and sharing observations that would prompt Ian to offer the in-depth explanations that we've all come to love, and they haven't figured out how to fill that role at all. But I'm uncomfortable with how personal some of the criticism of Mike in particular has become. These are all good guys who have been helpful to us. It's totally fair to criticize the deal with CC and the quality of their videos, but I hope we can lay off the perosnal insults.

Well written.  My take is that many here want to be "entertained" rather than get technically accurate information about the construction and performance of a golf club. There is plenty of golf "entertainment" on YouTube from a fine selection of other, not so technically oriented guys. If that is the schtick of some WRX members by all means run with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

you actually get .005  that's not the same as .005%  that would be .5%  but it's early and Friday so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.  and the weather is great in Tampa Bay so golf is in order this afternoon.    

It's like when the feds throw around billion and trillion like they are nearly the same lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rgk5 said:

2 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

you actually get .005  that's not the same as .005%  that would be .5%  but it's early and Friday so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.  and the weather is great in Tampa Bay so golf is in order this afternoon.    

I just can't help myself and have to post this...

You get .00558 so if we are going to round to one digit it would be .6%  LOL or .56% at two digits.  I am headed out to play golf in the beautiful weather here in NorCal!  Enjoy your day! 

26 minutes ago, rgk5 said:

1000/179000 = 0.0056

You stated in both posts in a percentage (%).....therefore you have to multiple by 100 to get a percentage.

Therefore the drop is 0.56%.

EDIT....just saw the above post while I was typing my post.

I'm slow at typing....2 finger chicken plucking...even though I took typing in grade 9...but I didn't pay any attention to actual typing in class because I just looked at the teacher....she was a SMOKESHOW and the only reason I registered for the class.🤣

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KBong said:

1000/179000 = 0.0056

You stated in both posts in a percentage (%).....therefore you have to multiple by 100 to get a percentage.

Therefore the drop is 0.56%.

Hee, hee.  I taught history not math. 🤣  Regardless 0.56% is a miniscule difference at this point.  Let's check the numbers six months hence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rgk5 said:

Hee, hee.  I taught history not math. 🤣  Regardless 0.56% is a miniscule difference at this point.  Let's check the numbers six months hence.

I'm Chinese so math is in my DNA.🤣

I hated reading when I was young.

I took geography vs. history because I thought there would be less reading.

I regret it now....history is more interesting

AND

History is more useful for my fav TV show...Jeopardy....I like to watch it to exercise my aging brain.

Seems like Delta HS will be sold to develop condos.

Dated a wonderful gal from Delta...I met so many great students when we attended HCI.....but back in the day...the majority of HCI students came from Westdale HS.

Although I grew up in the west side...I worked on the weekends in HS at a restaurant near Ivor Wynne and was very fortunate to get a summer job at the #2 Hot Mill at Dofasco (Barton & Kenilworth) in 80 & 81.

In a way...I kinda missed the Hammer.....I lived in Burlington from 63-69 before moving to the Hammer.

None of my circle of HS friends live in the Hammer anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

I'm Chinese so math is in my DNA.🤣

I hated reading when I was young.

I took geography vs. history because I thought there would be less reading.

I regret it now....history is more interesting

AND

History is more useful for my fav TV show...Jeopardy....I like to watch it to exercise my aging brain.

Seems like Delta HS will be sold to develop condos.

Dated a wonderful gal from Delta...I met so many great students when we attended HCI.....but back in the day...the majority of HCI students came from Westdale HS.

Although I grew up in the west side...I worked on the weekends in HS at a restaurant near Ivor Wynne and was very fortunate to get a summer job at the #2 Hot Mill at Dofasco (Barton & Kenilworth) in 80 & 81.

In a way...I kinda missed the Hammer.....I lived in Burlington from 63-69 before moving to the Hammer.

None of my circle of HS friends live in the Hammer anymore.

I had 22🤙 great years at Delta, Gr. 9 Can. History, Gr.12 American history and Gr. 11 law.  Coached football and golf.

Edited by rgk5
Forgot the second "2".
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rgk5 said:

It’s not just the lost subscribers, it’s guys who stay subscribed who no longer watch the channel. That’s likely a much bigger number than those who unsub. You might watch the number of views going forward compared to the Matt/Ian days.