Club champion acquires TXG (merged)

1 minute ago, Heck2507 said:

This is actually a perfect example, Land Rover, is a shell of itself compared to what it was before being sold multiple times. The expansion has turned what was considered the greatest overland and off-road travel vehicle ever into a glorified mall crawler with a price tag based on a heritage it can no longer keep up with. 

so yes, I do think If people are buying a Land Rover because of their heritage they are being shorted. same as if they walk into a TXG in 3 years and the service is the exact same as club champion but you get a voss water at the door. 

Large brands continually try to buy what makes small niche companies successful, and it rarely works because of how large corporations set up their operations and management structure. 

Ive never been to TXG, so I have no real idea how they perform. I will say I've been to 2 tru specs, and they were awesome. I've also been to club champion 3 times. one was ok, one was really good, and one was not good. 

my only take on this is, in general when a large company buys a small, relatively unknown mom and pop level shop in the service industry, it's rare that they retain what made the shop worth buying out in the first place. 

haha. YOu could be right. I dont know. All I know of land rover is the are oil leaking messy cars that are terrible on up keep but for some reason they are high class. lol.. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

My buddy said  he recently called and it was on the order of $500/hr, but it was converted into a credit if you had them build the clubs

yes, $500 is about right dependent on type of fitting.  I highly doubt any credit will apply.  Hasn’t for my fittings there and the boys were pretty adamant and fired up regarding the fee for fit model on the MGS debate. 

4 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

"I want to wish my friends at the company all the best in this next chapter, but it's not the right opportunity for me. Our vision for the company, channel and my role are unfortunately not in alignment, so I've decided to resign and explore other avenues within the golf industry."

From Matt's IG post. This is unfortunate, Ian and Matt have been such a fun watch for the last few years. I hate to see them breaking up like this.

I wonder what these means for Ryan Barath?

Idk, but man he talks….a….lot 

• Like 3

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

4 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

My guess TXG was in a sell or go bankrupt situation. Canada being locked down almost completely for over 12 months makes a business the size of TXG very difficult to survive. Sure the youtube content was very good. But if you look at their view numbers they are not bringing in millions. Its most like in the low thousands per month in youtube money. 

This was necessity meeting opportunity. 

💯% very reasonable assumption.

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

Sounds like a bunch of sellouts 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

3 hours ago, Wardonation said:

I have no idea but totally agree with this comment. The amount of overhead that Ian must have and not being able to do your "bread and butter" fittings had to take it toll for sure. Ian and TXG did everything first class. I am not sure what CC is buying that they do not already have except (Ian)? My hope is Ian got whatever he needed to at least break even on the TXG business. That man could get a job anywhere doing almost anything in the golf industry. I do however think the content the last year and half was not even close to the prior videos. They were shorter and seemed almost bored with it. The early videos were just gold IMO... 

But remember during the Covid lockdown they just PUMPED out all those videos??  Also, another thing to keep in mind here was Matt’s mental health.  The videos become more infrequent, I would assume in part, as a result of that. 

This is a huge bummer in a lot of ways and was looking forward to the Matty driver bracket w/all the new stuff. Sure someone else can do it….but it’ll never be the same. All the best to the boys and really hope txg can remain TXG.

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

7 hours ago, wsupjs said:

Makes you wonder how long this has been in the works since TXG used VA for the fitting of their Pinehurst trip winners, rather than a traditional open brand fitting.

Seems like a great move financially for Ian, but am very curious to see what this means for TXG and their offering long term.

VA headquarters are in Pinehurst. 

• Like 1

I was not really impressed with the driver fitting I got from Club Champion.  I was skeptical right off the bat when I asked if I could use my normal Prov1 ball that I play for my fitting.   He said the mid-tier cheaper Callaway balls that they already had dots on would be fine and produce the same numbers.  It put me off from the start….  Seemed too lazy to put a dot or sticker on my game ball…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

4 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

I've seen this up close and personal quite a few times in my line of work. Just a prediction on what happens but here is how it usually plays out.

• Ian built this from the ground up and was doing too good of a job versus the "Big Boys".
  • The big fish notices, sees value in the opportunity and makes an offer you Ian can't refuse.
  • Ian probably has a contract for a while to stay with the new organization with to work through transition. There is probably a decent bonus for retention through an agreed upon time.
  • Once that is over, Ian bolts for greener pastures with another organization which will pay him more, give him more autonomy or he just starts up another business to run it exactly how he wants.

pending there is no non compete that he signed.  not sure about golf business, but usually there is which lasts a short amount of time

Edited by lipw87

I actually hope Ian gets out of this deal/txg in the next couple years and starts another project. He and Matt had a chemistry that is unmatched in this arena. 

• Like 4

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

18 minutes ago, Go_Blue! said:

I actually hope Ian gets out of this deal/txg in the next couple years and starts another project. He and Matt had a chemistry that is unmatched in this arena. 

Even if he does, Matt might be long gone into his next adventure.  I’m willing to bet this is the last of the duo.  I really liked both of them together but if Matt finds a good opportunity coming up, I don’t see him jumping ship in a couple years to start over.  That would be tough.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I am really hoping this acquisition is more about expanding the TXG brand to new markets, maybe the US. Probably a huge opportunity to bring that brand to markets that want it. However that only works if they keep the professional and knowledgeable for experience TXG is know for. Anything less would be devastating to the brand  

Hoping for more of a Scotty Cameron/ Titleist situation vs Taylormade/adams golf.

Edited by Flip4000

Wouldn't be surprised if Matt was asked to sign a five year or whatever year non compete. He may not have wanted that. Can't say I blame him.  I'm sure Ian had to sign one. 

Could a private equity be far off in buying CC? PE buys CC. Then Cool Clubs. Then.... Then... They have all boutique club fitters under same umbrella. ( Yes, I jumped off a cliff with that last thought!! )

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Go_Blue! said:

My guess is that even if Ian gets out he will most likely have a non-compete. I highly doubt Matt has a non-compete though. Hopefully we see him pop up soon.

4 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

I am really hoping this acquisition is more about expanding the TXG brand to new markets, maybe the US. Hoping for more of a Scotty Cameron/ Titleist situation vs Taylormade/adams golf.

Club Champion didn't purchase TXG to have them expand into the US. Club Champion is already here. Makes zero sense.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

4 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Man, after a late night in New Orleans or for breakfast, you can’t beat those beignets at Cafe du Monde. On Decatur Street in the Quarter. They do have a second location in City Park. And they won’t have to upsell you — you’ll want

more beignets. 

Full disclosure, I only had the Cafe du Monde beignets in the airport, but I thought they were mediocre/barely edible. Basically a glorified funnel cake. 

Best part of the experience was the powdered sugar all over the carpet at various seats just away from CDM. 

Note: New Orleans was an awesome time, loved the "CBD" area, lots of great restaurants. 

Edited by cleverprimate24
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

From what I have heard, TXG was funded by a silent partner (not Ian, though Ian owned a smaller portion of the business, maybe 15-20%?). Maybe the quick expansion put a little more pressure on them, but they would have had great revenue in 2020 and 2021 (even through the lockdowns), so I don't think they were up against a "wall" like others have suggested above. 

It will be interesting to see how this merger plays out the next 12-18 months, and I'm sure we will all learn a little more during their video tomorrow. 

Maybe the majority owner wanted an out, and Ian had no choice? Who knows? I don't we will ever know the exact details and circumstances. Hopefully, they find success whatever direction it goes, especially Matt who seems like a nice guy and has battled some mental health issues. As he mentioned in his IG post, it would be cool for him to use his viewership/platform to shed a little more light on mental health issues among people of all backgrounds. 

CC has been rumoured to have been looking at Canada for years, but was hesitant because of the overhead involved. With this merger, it sounds like a shortcut to success (at least according to them) to leverage a pretty strong viewership/community, facilities, equipment, staff and supplier relationships. 

• Like 2

As a small business owner, the last two years has been very difficult to navigate. I can only imagine how difficult things were/are for them with Canada’s Covid policies, etc. 

My first thought was that I didn’t like this and hated to see Matty leave. That being said, Ian has built up a lot of personal and professional brand equity with me and many others that it is worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. I would assume he has done the right things for the right reasons. We can all speculate why this happened but the reality is that it’s none of our business and TXG doesn’t owe it to us to give all the details, etc. 

Not that it matters but I still plan to support them and the channel but will naturally be looking for changes and CC influences. Most of all, I really hope Matty finds a way to use his talents and is fulfilled. Struggling with depression is not easy and I really hope he finds success in whatever his next chapter may be. I wish our company had enough money to hire him!

19 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

Full disclosure, I only had the Cafe du Monde beignets in the airport, but I thought they were mediocre/barely edible. Basically a glorified funnel cake. 

Best part of the experience was the powdered sugar all over the carpet at various seats just away from CDM. 

Note: New Orleans was an awesome time, loved the "CBD" area, lots of great restaurants. 

Yeah, you’re asking for it if you get them at the airport. You gotta get them hot. And the waiters are the best.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

41 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Club Champion didn't purchase TXG to have them expand into the US. Club Champion is already here. Makes zero sense.

The value in TXG is the brand perception among consumers, Ian, and YouTube channel. 

Club champion is in the US but doesn’t have the same reputation. There is a crowd that would never get fit at a CC but might consider a TXG location under the CC umbrella depending on what changes they make TXG.

we won’t know much until TXGs vid tomorrow 

but you are right, TXG is probably a better op for CC to stick a toe in the Canadian market vs the other way around 

Edited by Flip4000

What’s the standard non compete duration in these scenarios? Company I work for got acquired by a behemoth and both founders were gone between 12 and 24 months respectively.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX